ADVERTISEMENT

You get one

4Afan

Sep 15, 2001
It's gotten a bit too hostile here, not at all due to anything I've said of course, so let's lighten things up.

You get one...

-Best school for concessions
-Best visitors accommodations
-Best gameday atmosphere
-Best tradition
-Best rivalry
-Best stadium
-Best player you've seen live
-Best team you've seen live

Ready, go!

Reactions: rocketnation
1-Chatham Glenwood
2-SHG
3-Chatham Glenwood
4-Rochester/SHG (tie)
5-Rochester vs SHG
6-U High, because they get to play their home games at ISU
7-Top 5: Albert Okwuegbunam (SHG, Missouri, NFL), Nic Baker (Rochester, SIUC), Jaylon Bester (Althoff, Miami of Ohio), Tyshon King (Kankakee Bishop Mac, Youngstown St), Kenny Boyle (Chatham Glenwood, U of I)
8-Top 5: SHG 2014, Joliet Catholic 2000, Rochester 2017, Chatham Glenwood 2019, Rochester 2010

Bonus Question: Best play you've seen live.
Garret Dooley's 98-yard TD run on Rochester's 1st offensive play against Peoria Notre Dame in the 2012 playoffs. Plenty of speed for a big back, he ran away from several DB's around midfield.

Last edited:
1-Chatham Glenwood
2-SHG
3-Chatham Glenwood
4-Rochester/SHG (tie)
5-Rochester vs SHG
6-U High, because they get to play their home games at ISU
7-Top 5: Albert Okwuegbunam (SHG, Missouri, NFL), Nic Baker (Rochester, SIUC), Jaylon Bester (Althoff, Miami of Ohio), Tyshon King (Kankakee Bishop Mac, Youngstown St), Kenny Boyle (Chatham Glenwood, U of I)
8-Top 5: SHG 2014, Joliet Catholic 2000, Rochester 2017, Chatham Glenwood 2019, Rochester 2010

Bonus Question: Best play you've seen live.
Garret Dooley's 98-yard TD run on Rochester's 1st offensive play against Peoria Notre Dame in the 2012 playoffs. Plenty of speed for a big back, he ran away from several DB's around midfield.
All.... I remember Boyle. 1998 was a year I try to not reminisce over much as it applies to the Cyclones. (lol) Since we had plenty of postseason time a group of us went to the Geneseo/Chatham game semi at Geneseo.

The game was still undecided fairly late. (it actually went to OT) It's third and 23 and the Redskins needed the drive to continue. Jurgens is flushed out of the pocket running for his life and fires a pass down the field. Boyle stretches out that long frame of his as he is falling and sliding at an extreme angle about a foot off the ground . A 25 yard first down catch.

He played defense as well and if I recall correctly Chatham was not all that big and Boyle at about 250 was the largest on that d line. Ratsy

Last edited:
It's gotten a bit too hostile here, not at all due to anything I've said of course, so let's lighten things up.

You get one...

-Best gameday atmosphere
-Best tradition
-Best rivalry
-Best stadium

Ready, go!

Visitors accommodations-Joliet Memorial for seating capacity alone. I am sure there are plenty of others with nicer locker rooms and team accommodations though.
Stadium-LaSalle-Peru's is a must experience. Much livelier on a Saturday afternoon big game situation than on a Friday night regular season tilt.
Best player-John Dergo or Chris Jeske
Best team-2004 Joliet Catholic

Reactions: rjjtwest and 4Afan
Best Current Rivalry
Loyola vs MC

Best visitor stands
Br Rice
- Any other answer is wrong

Best game that I ever saw live
2001 Riverside Brookfield vs Joliet Catholic
- I was shocked that Tim Brasic barely touched the field in college

What part of, you get one, did you not understand? 😝😉

You get one...

-Best gameday atmosphere
-Best tradition
-Best rivalry
-Best stadium

Ready, go!
You get one...

-Best school for concessions. Long Beach Wilson HS.
-Best visitors accommodations. 🤷🏻‍♂️
-Best gameday atmosphere LWE (Homer Pick)
-Best tradition 🤷🏻‍♂️
-Best rivalry LA/MC.
-Best stadium. LWE (Homer Pick)
-Best player you've seen live. ESL LB3 @ Crete playoff game
-Best team you've seen live. LWE Vs MS 2005 state championship.

Best Current Rivalry
Loyola vs MC

Best visitor stands
Br Rice
- Any other answer is wrong

Best game that I ever saw live
2001 Riverside Brookfield vs Joliet Catholic
- I was shocked that Tim Brasic barely touched the field in college
I wouldn't say he barely touched the field, though I'm sure he would have liked to play more. He was the starter and played all 11 games for a pretty bad Illinois team his redshirt junior season. Passed for almost 2000 yards with limited weapons around him.

His final season in 06 he shared time with a freshman 5 star Juice Williams who went on to set most of the Illinois career passing records. That team was much more competitive than 05 and set the stage for the really solid 2007 Rose Bowl Season. Brasic was a good steady hand and guy to split reps with the heir apparent.

If I recall, Brasic chose to walk on at Illinois over a scholarship offer from Minnesota. I'm sure he would have loved to have gotten more reps. But one full year of starting and another year splitting reps with a more heralded youngster is more than most would expect from a walk on.

-Best school for concessions anywhere that can make a solid pork chop sammich
-Best visitors accommodations SHG
-Best gameday atmosphere Wilmington during the playoffs
-Best tradition Byron bringing out the linemen in a hog trailer
-Best rivalry Geneva/Batavia
-Best stadium LaSalle Peru with Lane Tech as a close second
-Best player you've seen live Dergo
-Best team you've seen live 2016 Peoria

I wouldn't say he barely touched the field, though I'm sure he would have liked to play more. He was the starter and played all 11 games for a pretty bad Illinois team his redshirt junior season. Passed for almost 2000 yards with limited weapons around him.

His final season in 06 he shared time with a freshman 5 star Juice Williams who went on to set most of the Illinois career passing records. That team was much more competitive than 05 and set the stage for the really solid 2007 Rose Bowl Season. Brasic was a good steady hand and guy to split reps with the heir apparent.

If I recall, Brasic chose to walk on at Illinois over a scholarship offer from Minnesota. I'm sure he would have loved to have gotten more reps. But one full year of starting and another year splitting reps with a more heralded youngster is more than most would expect from a walk on.
The offense they ran at RB was an air raid offense that didn’t carry over to the collegiate level, especially Illinois, very well.

Brasic

IMO Juice should have gotten his reps around Tim rather than the opposite

-Best visitors accommodations I've been at (Fire vs Police Semi-Pro Game)
Brother Rice....

-Best rivalry
Mt. Carmel/St. Rita
Brother Rice/Marist
Rochester/SHG

-Best stadium I've been at
updated Gatley

Donovan McNabb

Mt. Carmel

Brasic

IMO Juice should have gotten his reps around Tim rather than the opposite
Under normal circumstances, no doubt you prioritize the more senior guy if you are looking to compete immediately.

However, this was year 2 of the complete Zook tear down and rebuild. He stated "year 1 is lose big, year 2 is lose little, year 3 is win little, and year 4 is win big." So there was never any real chance to win or even intention to win anything of note in 2006. They were the worst team in FBS in 2005 and were down by 40 early in the second quarter multiple games.

When you are clearly playing for the future, might as well play the younger guys. Especially when the younger guy has a ridiculously high ceiling and a guy like Arrelious Benn is committed for the following season.

Best school for concessions: I rarely buy concessions at games, so I can't really comment.
-Best visitors accommodations Joliet Catholic-for the size alone.
-Best gameday atmosphere LaSalle/Peru for a playoff game is the best atmosphere I have seen. Although some of the best tailgaiting before a game has to be JCA. When the weather is decent for a Sat afternoon playoff game, the tailgaiting at Memorial Stadium rivals some small colleges. Just a great game day atmosphere.
-Best rivalry:MC/St Rita
-Best stadium : I really like MC's new on campus stadium. Lasalle-Peru is also a great venue.
-Best player you've seen live: Ty Isaac. He was a threat to score every single play. Santos Gonzalez from Pontiac in the early 2000's was an absolute stud as well.
-Best team you've seen live: Other than 1987 Joliet Catholic ;) , I would say the 1996 MC team was the best team I've seen live. 2000 JCA team a close second.

Last edited:
-Best school for concessions Barrington
-Best visitors accommodations Glenbard West's walk down to Duchon Field
-Best gameday atmosphere - Loyola Academy vs MS
-Best tradition - Mount Carmel 'brown' uniforms at Gately
-Best rivalry - Maine South vs Loyola Academy
-Best stadium - Lane Stadium
-Best player you've seen live - MS OT Peter Skoronski
-Best team you've seen live - Maine South 2009

-Best school for concessions Mount Carmel's Char Grilled Italian Sausage

-Best visitors accommodations- There have been many "Good" but none that stick out as the best.....I can think of some bad ones....If I had to say one for accomodations I would say Joliet Memorial as there is plenty good seating and parking but it doesn't have that High School feel to it as it's a College stadium.

-Best gameday atmosphere- Mount Carmel vs. St. Rita

-Best tradition - Mount Carmel hanging the scapular on the goal post before every game

-Best rivalry - Mount Carmel vs St. Rita

-Best stadium - I think Barda Dowling is an amazing experience. For away games I really liked going to Maine South.

-Best player you've seen live - MC Player....got to give it to him, Darrion Dupree. Non MC Player, Ricky Smallings BR.

-Best team you've seen live - Best live, from start to finish, Mount Carmel 2022.

Last edited:
-Best school for concessions - Barrington
-Best visitors accommodations - JCA
-Best gameday atmosphere - Loyola
-Best tradition - Lake Zurich Arm n Arm entrance walk
-Best rivalry - Any crosstown match up...examples...Palatine v Fremd, WWS v WN,
-Best stadium - Lane
-Best player you've seen live - Mike Burden
-Best team you've seen live - Cary-Gove '09

Concessions -- Marist, but only if they still serve Beggars Pizza.
Visitor accommodations -- None stick out to me as being worthy of note. TBH, I don't need more than one hand to count the number of stadiums other than Loyola that I have been to in the last 15 years.
Gameday atmosphere -- Ditto. (I don't think Loyola's atmosphere is anything special. What I don't like anywhere is over the top homerism on the part of the PA announcer, so that really limits my choices.)
Tradition -- Ditto
Rivalry -- Interesting that folks are picking LA vs MC. For me, it's LA vs New Trier...even though the games are few and far between in recent years.
Best stadium -- Really liked the one game I went to in the small stadium at Illini West in Carthage around 10 years ago. Had a Field of Dreams feel to it then.
Best player live: Kills me to say this but probably Matt Alviti. So accurate and so elusive.
Best team live: 2015 Loyola -- 14-0 with 3 8A playoff shutouts, one of which was in the title game. 28-point margins of victory over a 10-3 MC and a 10-2 Rice

-Best school for concessions-Hard to beat Barrington
-Best visitors accommodations- Haven’t seen any that I would call the best. Never enough bathrooms that is for sure. Also if you don’t want teams to urinate on your fence, please give us more portapotties!!
-Best gameday atmosphere- West Aurora 2016 was awesome!
-Best tradition-walking to Wilson Field led by the drum line (with my daughter) on Friday nights!
-Best rivalry-when Swagger and Hollywood are both good. Easily up there.
-Best stadium-I thought South Elgin was neat.
-Best player you've seen live- Matt Perez was incredible. Tough, strong and fast. Peter Skronski was a stud.
-Best team you've seen live-MS 2008, WWS 2010

Concessions -- Marist, but only if they still serve Beggars Pizza.
Visitor accommodations -- None stick out to me as being worthy of note. TBH, I don't need more than one hand to count the number of stadiums other than Loyola that I have been to in the last 15 years.
Gameday atmosphere -- Ditto. (I don't think Loyola's atmosphere is anything special. What I don't like anywhere is over the top homerism on the part of the PA announcer, so that really limits my choices.)
Tradition -- Ditto
Rivalry -- Interesting that folks are picking LA vs MC. For me, it's LA vs New Trier...even though the games are few and far between in recent years.
Best stadium -- Really liked the one game I went to in the small stadium at Illini West in Carthage around 10 years ago. Had a Field of Dreams feel to it then.
Best player live: Kills me to say this but probably Matt Alviti. So accurate and so elusive.
Best team live: 2015 Loyola -- 14-0 with 3 8A playoff shutouts, one of which was in the title game. 28-point margins of victory over a 10-3 MC and a 10-2 Rice
Jake Marwede is in my top 5 beat that I’ve seen

Homer picks.

Best rivalry - CG v PR
Best player I’ve seen live - Samson Evans
Best team I’ve seen live - 2021 CG

-Best school for concessions - those tacos at Oswego
-Best visitors accommodations - nothing stands out
-Best gameday atmosphere LWE
-Best tradition - the Sunday afternoon homecoming parade in DT Oswego
-Best rivalry - out this way, i love the Pl. North/Oswego rivalry
-Best stadium - East Aurora
-Best player you've seen live - Dergo
-Best team you've seen live - 2017 LWE

Best player I have seen live- I had the pleasure of coaching against NFL HOF tackle Joe Thomas in 2002 when he was at Brookfield Central in Wisconsin. Hard to believe- but he actually dominated a game from the OT position. A true man amongst boys.

Reactions: whitesox05
-Best school for concessions: Seems as soon as we list one (LA's dogs, NT's steaks, SL's brats, etc), they shut down the grills. So, anything with an active grill.
-Best visitors accommodations: BR. Best troll game in the state, no contest.
-Best gameday atmosphere: LA. They own Saturdays. Of course now it'll be Friday nights just to piss off Debbie.
-Best tradition: Barrington underperforming. Just kidding. GBW pregame.
-Best rivalry: LA and GT.
-Best stadium: Dowling Barda.

-Best school for concessions - East Side, outside of the stadium
-Best visitors accommodations - Hitters' away stands
-Best gameday atmosphere - Fremd is cool
-Best tradition - Wilmo Harleys
-Best rivalry - East Side and the State
-Best stadium - Brother Rice
-Best player you've seen live - Hickey or LB3
-Best team you've seen live - The 1990 Althoff Crusaders, undefeated in three states and stacked with D1 across the board.

-Best team you've seen live - The 1990 Althoff Crusaders, undefeated in three states and stacked with D1 across the board.
I really have to get to a game at ESL!

This will cover a few states.

-Best school for concessions: I miss a good Illinois pork chop
-Best visitors accommodations: D20 Stadium in Colorado Springs
-Best gameday atmosphere: Cody vs Powerll (Wy) rivals and the only game that neither team or fan base has to drive several hours for (Some Wyoming teams make Illinois travel look short).
-Best tradition: The Byron linemen in the stock trailer
-Best rivalry: Seen a lot of good ones across the states i've been in, not sure I can pick just one.
-Best stadium: Sterling or La Salle-Peru
-Best player you've seen live: Christian McCaffrey when he played at Valor Christian HS in Colorado
-Best team you've seen live: 2011 Valor Christian which outside of one game early in the season, cakewalked it's way to a state title.

All.... The smoked turkey legs are as good as it gets! Ratsy

Best school for concessions: It would be hard for me to think k of anyone better than Lake Forest Academy. They had large, plump Vienna hot dogs for a dollar! Plus, admission was free. The grounds are stunning.

-Best school for concessions - Lemont, back in 2006 ish (steak sandwiches...wow)
-Best visitors accommodations - Rock Island (lots of space and concessions)
-Best gameday atmosphere - ???
-Best tradition - ???
-Best rivalry - Sterling Newman vs Morrison (back in the day)
-Best stadium - Sterling HS (Lasalle Peru, if I'm not allowed to pick my school)
-Best player you've seen live - Jordan Westerkamp, Montini
-Best team you've seen live - 2017 Chicago Phillips

Reactions: 4Afan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT