ADVERTISEMENT

Lockport Non-Football Related

MIKEFTB

Jul 7, 2001
Bolingbrook IL
It's looking like the Lockport Freshmen who have been out of the LTHS Central campus since last week after a ceiling collapse in a classroom and an inspection that has revealed several structural issues and forced the closing of the building immediately will be moving over to the abandoned Lincoln-Way North campus in Frankfort to take up residence and one source in LTHS District 205 has stared they could be there for an extended period of time.

The students will be moving in next Wednesday the 15th and will continue online learning in the interim.

I'm not from the Lockport area but I know many who grew up there and have their own children who have gone through there but I've been here in Will County long enough to know that there should've been a second campus built in that District somewhere but the issue is always where?

Everyone knows who the major players who are in that whole scenario being Lockport, Homer Glen, Crest Hill, and Fairmont in unincorporated Will County
and it has always turned into battle amongst the residents when voting in referendums...No No No No No....

Now what?

That old Centeal canpus building even with what was supposed to be planned renovations and retrofitting is not going to last long term. I think it's more serious than we might think.I would hope the residents of district 205 understand this.

In the meantime at least the students have a place to go and kudos to Lincoln-Way District 210 for stepping up and opening the doors to the former North campus.

I think this is going to be more of a complicated situation than we might think....

Please bring back the “Fake Town of Homer Glen” poster from years ago, that guy was always good for a few laughs as he raged about LPHS.

Reactions: MIKEFTB and MS4EVER
Lockport has been talking about a 2nd 4 year High School since the late 70's/early 80's 🤪😒 I understand the taxpayers keep voting it down

At least the Lincolnway School District overbuilt. Working out good for Lockport

Reactions: MIKEFTB
Why don't Lockport just buy the building & use it as a 4 year high school? Rich East wanted to do that but thank god that was a no go as much as i hated to see East close

Why don't Lockport just buy the building & use it as a 4 year high school? Rich East wanted to do that but thank god that was a no go as much as i hated to see East close
The old LW Northwould be OK for HG and most everything east of the river but what part of Crest Hill -original poster stated - (or the whole City?) Is part of current Lockport Twp attendance boundaries? They might be better off in a Plainfield (probably go eek! if it's R or JW).

Reactions: crazylegs777
The LWN building was closed due to millions of dollars of structural damage…

The building was inspected by a third party that fixed everything for under a grand
- the Feds got involved

Due to rg

The spend they elected to close the building and move the entire school student body to East

Now that the building is habitable again, why don’t they open it back up to the students that are supposed to attend there?

I thought the Illinois State Police were using or wanted to use the building for a training facility

Everyone knows the ultimate destination for L-W North is as a migrant shelter providing workers for the Amazon distribution center across Harlem avenue in Matteson.

Seriously, the topic was Lockport High School. Stay focused folks and you can open the real can of worms with Lockport Central. The populace will never build a new high school at a location other than Lockport proper. History of the Lockport West/Romeoville episode would have to be rehashed for memories.

Cook County vs. Will County
Legal atrocity with Rich Township. Rich East closed consolidating 3 schools to one school and building a huge indoor fieldhouse as well as a new football complex at Rich South. The charter school they were obligated to build by the state rearranged a total of four schools. At least they now have a better sports facility than all the Lincoln-Way’s.

Last edited:
The same two issues...where will it be built? and whose kids get to go to the new one?
The District owns the land for the new HS and has owned it for a very long time. 6 referendums voted down in last 20 years.

-Increased taxes
-Fears of Homer Glen "stealing" the high school ala Romeoville and Lockport West (not gonna happen, need the old timers to die off)
-Drawing the lines for the new school. Who goes where. Likely still needs to be a split where East campus is Fr/So and New campus is Jr/Sr (or vice versa). If you go two separate 9-12 campuses then Homer Glen students would be in the new campus (that's where the land is) and Crest Hill/Fairmont/most of "poorer" Lockport would go to the older East Campus. That's not "fair" and has been a problem when attempting to pass referendums as well.

LWN works for now I suppose. They will hopefully get the $115 million or so in funding to renovate Central now. This will all happen again in 20 years when Central (or maybe even East) needs more renovations and repairs.

Oh, and there are 2 new developments going in the City of Lockport that will ending up being around 500 new homes/units. Plus another still in progress development in Homer Glen. Overcrowding may become an issue again as it was in the mid to late aughts (2000s).

It's looking like the Lockport Freshmen who have been out of the LTHS Central campus since last week after a ceiling collapse in a classroom and an inspection that has revealed several structural issues and forced the closing of the building immediately will be moving over to the abandoned Lincoln-Way North campus in Frankfort to take up residence and one source in LTHS District 205 has stared they could be there for an extended period of time.

The students will be moving in next Wednesday the 15th and will continue online learning in the interim.

I'm not from the Lockport area but I know many who grew up there and have their own children who have gone through there but I've been here in Will County long enough to know that there should've been a second campus built in that District somewhere but the issue is always where?

Everyone knows who the major players who are in that whole scenario being Lockport, Homer Glen, Crest Hill, and Fairmont in unincorporated Will County
and it has always turned into battle amongst the residents when voting in referendums...No No No No No....

Now what?

That old Centeal canpus building even with what was supposed to be planned renovations and retrofitting is not going to last long term. I think it's more serious than we might think.I would hope the residents of district 205 understand this.

In the meantime at least the students have a place to go and kudos to Lincoln-Way District 210 for stepping up and opening the doors to the former North campus.

I think this is going to be more of a complicated situation than we might think....

I always said that building should be put to use. Was a great facility, too bad the school district could predict population growth correctly.

The District owns the land for the new HS and has owned it for a very long time. 6 referendums voted down in last 20 years.

-Increased taxes
-Fears of Homer Glen "stealing" the high school ala Romeoville and Lockport West (not gonna happen, need the old timers to die off)
-Drawing the lines for the new school. Who goes where. Likely still needs to be a split where East campus is Fr/So and New campus is Jr/Sr (or vice versa). If you go two separate 9-12 campuses then Homer Glen students would be in the new campus (that's where the land is) and Crest Hill/Fairmont/most of "poorer" Lockport would go to the older East Campus. That's not "fair" and has been a problem when attempting to pass referendums as well.

LWN works for now I suppose. They will hopefully get the $115 million or so in funding to renovate Central now. This will all happen again in 20 years when Central (or maybe even East) needs more renovations and repairs.

Oh, and there are 2 new developments going in the City of Lockport that will ending up being around 500 new homes/units. Plus another still in progress development in Homer Glen. Overcrowding may become an issue again as it was in the mid to late aughts (2000s).
Great comments. I used to work with the gal who had three s grade school aged students in the Lockport elementary School District I think Kelvin Grove. this was back in the '90s and she was wearing a button to work that said "say no to high school referendum" she graduated from Lockport in '81. She went over the reasons of why she felt they shouldn't vote and most of it is what you mentioned. I had read that Homer Glen owns a piece of property that they want to build the school at and the fear from the other municipalities is that they will separate from District 205 and join up with the Homer Glen School District I think it was District C33?

My question is..way back when Lockport West became Romeoville in 1971 didn't Lockport Township high school District give that property over to Romeoville which I believe at the time had a different elementary school district serving it and after it was rebranded as Romeoville the formation of Valley View school district 365U the first year around schooling of its kind in the nation happened . or was it simply a case where the city of Romeoville took the school assumed the property as their iwn and separated from Lockport Township High School District and decided they were going to have their own high school? I'm still not clear on that history.. I know there are a lot of people up in Crest Hill around Theodore Street that are still harboring bad feelings about that whole situation that I've talked to.

I think that they can fix problems in the central building right now and do all the renovations and in time it's just going to happen again.

Great comments. I used to work with the gal who had three s grade school aged students in the Lockport elementary School District I think Kelvin Grove. this was back in the '90s and she was wearing a button to work that said "say no to high school referendum" she graduated from Lockport in '81. She went over the reasons of why she felt they shouldn't vote and most of it is what you mentioned. I had read that Homer Glen owns a piece of property that they want to build the school at and the fear from the other municipalities is that they will separate from District 205 and join up with the Homer Glen School District I think it was District C33?

My question is..way back when Lockport West became Romeoville in 1971 didn't Lockport Township high school District give that property over to Romeoville which I believe at the time had a different elementary school district serving it and after it was rebranded as Romeoville the formation of Valley View school district 365U the first year around schooling of its kind in the nation happened . or was it simply a case where the city of Romeoville took the school assumed the property as their iwn and separated from Lockport Township High School District and decided they were going to have their own high school? I'm still not clear on that history.. I know there are a lot of people up in Crest Hill around Theodore Street that are still harboring bad feelings about that whole situation that I've talked to.

I think that they can fix problems in the central building right now and do all the renovations and in time it's just going to happen again.
This is all a matter of mistrust.

Mike: About 15-20 years ago when the idea of a new building in Homer was being discussed and voted on I talked to an older Lockport guy who graduated from the school in 1961 and became a prominent politician here and in Will County. The guy seemed to know everyone who had some kind of influence.

He told me back in the days when Lockport West was built in what was part of Lockport, via a tax increasing referendum, the school eventually became Romeoville high by annexation, I believe he said. So, the Lockport School district received money back from that deal. Instead of returning the money to the tax payers, which would have been the right thing to do, the district kept the money. That is where this all started. The tax payers never forgot that and passed the story down to the younger people of Lockport to never trust the district again.

That stuff happened over 50 years ago so I would guess well over 90-95% of those who voted back then are deceased. Even the youngest ones would be in their 70s. But that story is still out there although far fewer people know about it.

This isn't the only thing this town has dealt with when it comes to politicians, schools, etc. The bridge and lack of another badly needed one is a very sore spot as well. I would vote for a tax increase for an additional bridge here in Lockport before I would vote for a new high school building.

What's funny, or maybe ridiculous is the people are saying it's either a massive upgrade at Central or a new building in Homer on Cedar and Rt 7. What no one is talking about is the fact that there is a third option to solve this.

Reactions: Gene K. and MIKEFTB
Please bring back the “Fake Town of Homer Glen” poster from years ago, that guy was always good for a few laughs as he raged about LPHS.
I'm the "Fake Town of Homer Glen" poster. Those posts were from many, many years ago. Nothing's changed. In fact, things are worse now than ever. Yes, they still believe that they are entitled to their own High School. But, they don't want to pay for it. Everything out there is, we want this and we want that but don't raise our taxes. There hasn't been any development in Homer Glen over the past decade. However....right here in little old Lockport things are booming. We've added $1.5 billion in development in the past decade.

I spoke with Lockport Superintendent, Dr. Bob McBride, for about five minutes last Friday night at an event honoring First Responders. He gave me a quick overview of what he and his team had done during the 36 hours after the ceiling collapsed. Then, this past Tuesday there was a Special Meeting of the Lockport High School Board discussing what had been found and provided a few options for the Board to decide. What the Administration, staff and everyone else has done to come up with a solution is truly incredible. Also a big shout out to the Lincoln-Way Superintendent, his staff and all those from the LW District for their help. This reminds me of 1990 when the tornado destroyed Plainfield High School and they moved into the recently closed Joliet Catholic High School on Broadway in Joliet. For those inclined, here's the link to the Special Meeting.

Last edited:
I'm the "Fake Town of Homer Glen" poster. Those posts were from many, many years ago. Nothing's changed. In fact, things are worse now than ever. Yes, they still believe that they are entitled to their own High School. But, they don't want to pay for it. Everything out there is, we want this and we want that but don't raise our taxes. There hasn't been any development in Homer Glen over the past decade. However....right here in little old Lockport things are booming. We've added $1.5 billion in development in the past decade.

I spoke with Lockport Superintendent, Dr. Bob McBride, for about five minutes last Friday night at an event honoring First Responders. He gave me a quick overview of what he and his team had done during the 36 hours after the ceiling collapsed. Then, this past Tuesday there was a Special Meeting of the Lockport High School Board discussing what had been found and provided a few options for the Board to decide. What the Administration, staff and everyone else has done to come up with a solution is truly incredible. Also a big shout out to the Lincoln-Way Superintendent, his staff and all those from the LW District for their help. This reminds me of 1990 when the tornado destroyed Plainfield High School and they moved into the recently closed Joliet Catholic High School on Broadway in Joliet. For those inclined, here's the link to the Special Meeting.
Fantastic stuff! Thank you! I was going to say the same thing about the Plainfield post tornado situation in '90. Had Catholic High still been in use at the time, I can't imagine where all the students from Plainfield High would have ended up going that '90-'91 school year. Joliet East building maybe? Although I believe Joliet Job Corps had assumed ownership of that building after East closed in the early 80s

This is all a matter of mistrust.

Mike: About 15-20 years ago when the idea of a new building in Homer was being discussed and voted on I talked to an older Lockport guy who graduated from the school in 1961 and became a prominent politician here and in Will County. The guy seemed to know everyone who had some kind of influence.

He told me back in the days when Lockport West was built in what was part of Lockport, via a tax increasing referendum, the school eventually became Romeoville high by annexation, I believe he said. So, the Lockport School district received money back from that deal. Instead of returning the money to the tax payers, which would have been the right thing to do, the district kept the money. That is where this all started. The tax payers never forgot that and passed the story down to the younger people of Lockport to never trust the district again.

That stuff happened over 50 years ago so I would guess well over 90-95% of those who voted back then are deceased. Even the youngest ones would be in their 70s. But that story is still out there although far fewer people know about it.

This isn't the only thing this town has dealt with when it comes to politicians, schools, etc. The bridge and lack of another badly needed one is a very sore spot as well. I would vote for a tax increase for an additional bridge here in Lockport before I would vote for a new high school building.

What's funny, or maybe ridiculous is the people are saying it's either a massive upgrade at Central or a new building in Homer on Cedar and Rt 7. What no one is talking about is the fact that there is a third option to solve this.
Thank you for this great information .Ok I see now. . . So the LTHS District sold the building and property to Romeoville for annexation purposes which eventually became oart of the newly created Valley View 365U SD.. and then kept the money from that deal themselves instead of distribution of it to the taxpayers now I see Yes, big mistrust!

I also understand now why there's been no real type of land development in that Cedar Road and Rt 7 area as this is designated as a potential site for a new Lockport High School campus . I keep hearing that there is a fear that Homer Glen getting a school builder will want to withdraw from the Lockport Township High School District and create their own district with I would assume the high school Homer Junior High and whatever elementary schools are in that area and again this is what I've heard talking with several people that live in that neck of the woods and I worked with several people when I was working for a company in Joliet that were from Lockport who stated the same thing. It's tough because all the communities that feed into Lockport High School from my knowledge, and I've been here in Will County now over 30 years in Bolingbrook, the Communities have vast differences in a lot of ways particularly socioeconomic factors and I don't want to go down that path of political stuff and status stuff because I've seen it in other school districts that have multi-community locations feeding into it and there can be friction and it's sad but it exists.

I don't know why they just don't go out and build a campus there and have it designated for two of the four classes.
Perhaps you could have the freshman and sophomore classes at the campus in Homer Glen and then their last two years move over to Lockport East.. or do it the opposite way....Either way the students are going to get to attend both campuses within their 4 years of time in high school. I guess the question is will there be enough room in that situation?

Most of us can remember when what is now Lincoln Way East in Frankfort was a Freshman-Sophomore campus in the Lincoln Way 210 district and the original Lincoln Way which is now Lincoln-Way Central in New Lenox was for Juniors and Seniors I believe that's the way it ran but if I'm incorrect somebody, WIU or Corey90, correct me. And then increased home building forced that campus in Frankfort to become a four year school which is now East and the New Lenox campus Central.. and then we know what happened after that...the original plan when the Lincoln Way High School District 210 was created in the 40s was to have a high school in each community that fed into it. New Lenox, Mokena, Frankfort, and Manhattan as those areas grew and it was necessitated.

I believe Minooka is doing the same thing with their two campuses. Freshman and Sophomores at the South campus in Channahon on Rt 6 and the Juniors and Seniors at the original Minooka Central campus.

Of course if there are projected increases in the number of students that will be attending Lockport Township High School in say the next decade things could change.. as they did in Lincoln Way and there could be a need for two full four year campuses.

I'm thinking it was just fortunate that the kids at Lockport Central weren't in any of the classrooms at the time that this situation occurred. This could have been a really really bad situation . You know, if you have a Daughter or a Son that is supposed to be attending the Lockport Central campus you got to ask yourself do you want your child going back into that building?

Stay tuned. It's gonna get interesting!

Why no third Lockport Township High School?: The short explanation. Back in the mid 90's there was crazy residential growth within the District. The School Board did the right thing in purchasing land for a future building. Yes, we had five referendums. They all failed. I'm a numbers freak. Numbers tell me stories. Contrary to what most people believe it was not the voters of Crest Hill or Lockport who rejected building a new high school in Homer Glen. It was the voters of Homer Glen who pushed the vote into the NO category. After each referendum I did a review of the precincts in Homer Glen. Every single precinct in Homer Glen voted a resounding NO (60-40) to every referendum. Crest Hill and Lockport were in the 52-48 NO range. At that time Homer Glen had a larger population than either Crest Hill or Lockport. Had the vote gone 52-48 YES in Homer Glen for any of the referendums the referendum would have passed. I even printed up the results to show people of Homer Glen that they had nobody but themselves to blame for the failure of ALL of the referendums. Even with the data in front of them they didn't believe me.

Now, fast forward to 2009 when the recession hit. All residential development in the LTHS District ceased. When the recession ended in 2014 Lockport and Homer Glen were on different paths. Homer Glen got CRAZY POLITICAL. Lockport didn't. The politics in Homer Glen focused on keeping things the way they were. Most importantly, they didn't want any residential growth because they didn't want to burden themselves with increased taxes paid to any school. Lockport on the other hand did the opposite. For the record, I have been a part of the decision making process in Lockport for the past decade as a member of the Planning Commission and I'm now in my 3rd term as an alderman. Our approach was to create a plan to have balanced commercial, retail and residential growth by taking advantage of the three interchanges off of I-355 (Archer Avenue, 143rd Street and 159th Street). It took us until about 2018 to really get things rolling. We had a Council, Mayor and Staff that had a unified vision of growth. A decade after first being elected I'm amazed at what we have achieved. Yes, there has been some residential growth. We've added about 3000 people since 2013.

Which raises the next question of what did Homer Glen do during the past 10 years. The truth is, it was a whole lot of nothing. There has only been one residential development approved in Homer Glen during the past 10 years. That development is approximately 42 townhomes. They haven't approved any single family home developments in about 15 years. Why? Because they have been so busy with the political nonsense that they have rejected every single residential development because they don't want to build new schools and have their taxes go up.

There also hasn't been any residential development in Crest Hill in well over 20 years. Thus, the current and projected population of the LTHS District hasn't really changed in the past 15 years. The projected student population in the next decade or more really doesn't show any increase. Thus, there really isn't a need to build a third building. The current two buildings are serving the District well. I don't see any residential growth in Crest Hill for no other reason than there isn't any land available. I don't see any residential growth in Homer Glen in the next two decades because they have the most expensive water in the Chicagoland area. Plus, in order to develop they will have to build a waste water treatment plant that will cost in the neighborhood of $40 million in 2023 dollars. Homer Glen doesn't have a revenue source to build a waste water treatment plant. The politics of Homer Glen won't allow for elected officials to make the hard decision to raise taxes or fees to cover the cost of the waste water treatment plant. No treatment plant means no development.

No development in Homer Glen means no high school in Homer Glen.

Now we have a decision to make in March. Do we vote yes to sell bonds in the $85 million range to modernize Lockport Central? Or, do we vote no? The projected cost of a new building in 2005 was in the $200 million range. Add $150 million to that cost now. I'm all for the $85 million to renovate Central.

Reactions: MIKEFTB and USD24
Why no third Lockport Township High School?: The short explanation. Back in the mid 90's there was crazy residential growth within the District. The School Board did the right thing in purchasing land for a future building. Yes, we had five referendums. They all failed. I'm a numbers freak. Numbers tell me stories. Contrary to what most people believe it was not the voters of Crest Hill or Lockport who rejected building a new high school in Homer Glen. It was the voters of Homer Glen who pushed the vote into the NO category. After each referendum I did a review of the precincts in Homer Glen. Every single precinct in Homer Glen voted a resounding NO (60-40) to every referendum. Crest Hill and Lockport were in the 52-48 NO range. At that time Homer Glen had a larger population than either Crest Hill or Lockport. Had the vote gone 52-48 YES in Homer Glen for any of the referendums the referendum would have passed. I even printed up the results to show people of Homer Glen that they had nobody but themselves to blame for the failure of ALL of the referendums. Even with the data in front of them they didn't believe me.

Now, fast forward to 2009 when the recession hit. All residential development in the LTHS District ceased. When the recession ended in 2014 Lockport and Homer Glen were on different paths. Homer Glen got CRAZY POLITICAL. Lockport didn't. The politics in Homer Glen focused on keeping things the way they were. Most importantly, they didn't want any residential growth because they didn't want to burden themselves with increased taxes paid to any school. Lockport on the other hand did the opposite. For the record, I have been a part of the decision making process in Lockport for the past decade as a member of the Planning Commission and I'm now in my 3rd term as an alderman. Our approach was to create a plan to have balanced commercial, retail and residential growth by taking advantage of the three interchanges off of I-355 (Archer Avenue, 143rd Street and 159th Street). It took us until about 2018 to really get things rolling. We had a Council, Mayor and Staff that had a unified vision of growth. A decade after first being elected I'm amazed at what we have achieved. Yes, there has been some residential growth. We've added about 3000 people since 2013.

Which raises the next question of what did Homer Glen do during the past 10 years. The truth is, it was a whole lot of nothing. There has only been one residential development approved in Homer Glen during the past 10 years. That development is approximately 42 townhomes. They haven't approved any single family home developments in about 15 years. Why? Because they have been so busy with the political nonsense that they have rejected every single residential development because they don't want to build new schools and have their taxes go up.

There also hasn't been any residential development in Crest Hill in well over 20 years. Thus, the current and projected population of the LTHS District hasn't really changed in the past 15 years. The projected student population in the next decade or more really doesn't show any increase. Thus, there really isn't a need to build a third building. The current two buildings are serving the District well. I don't see any residential growth in Crest Hill for no other reason than there isn't any land available. I don't see any residential growth in Homer Glen in the next two decades because they have the most expensive water in the Chicagoland area. Plus, in order to develop they will have to build a waste water treatment plant that will cost in the neighborhood of $40 million in 2023 dollars. Homer Glen doesn't have a revenue source to build a waste water treatment plant. The politics of Homer Glen won't allow for elected officials to make the hard decision to raise taxes or fees to cover the cost of the waste water treatment plant. No treatment plant means no development.

No development in Homer Glen means no high school in Homer Glen.

Now we have a decision to make in March. Do we vote yes to sell bonds in the $85 million range to modernize Lockport Central? Or, do we vote no? The projected cost of a new building in 2005 was in the $200 million range. Add $150 million to that cost now. I'm all for the $85 million to renovate Central.
If you're Joliet Catholic it was heartwarming the way you awesome people reached your hand out to help Plainfield after the Tornado

Reactions: USD24 and WIU78
The LWN building was closed due to millions of dollars of structural damage…

The building was inspected by a third party that fixed everything for under a grand
- the Feds got involved

Due to rg

The spend they elected to close the building and move the entire school student body to East

Now that the building is habitable again, why don’t they open it back up to the students that are supposed to attend there?
It’s hard to write a post this long, and still have every single piece of information in it wrong.

Reactions: mc140
The question is will 85 million fix the problems at Central or is it now in the old car stage where something else is bound to go drastically wrong?
Almost all of the renovations to the Central Campus are due to the fact that the building isn't ADA compliant. After all, it opened in 1910. Also there were two additions, 1930's/1950's that aren't very functional. There is a tremendous amount of dead space in the building. There are HVAC issues that have to be addressed. The 1914 boiler system is decades out of date. Thus, an updated HVAC system is in order. The electrical system needs to be updated. The technology wiring needs to be updated. There isn't any air conditioning. An ancient pool will be replaced with a couple of class rooms. An elevator needs to be put in the building for those who can't climb the stairs. All of that is still 25% of the cost of building a new school.

Right there… apology accepted
Did you even read what you posted?
I’m pretty familiar with the doings of Wyllie and the board since I collected or presented some of the information at the board meetings.
The school was closed due to funding issues in the district. There was never any issue with structural issues then nor now.
No idea where you came up with that idea.

Reactions: corey90
Thank you for this great information .Ok I see now. . . So the LTHS District sold the building and property to Romeoville for annexation purposes which eventually became oart of the newly created Valley View 365U SD.. and then kept the money from that deal themselves instead of distribution of it to the taxpayers now I see Yes, big mistrust!

I also understand now why there's been no real type of land development in that Cedar Road and Rt 7 area as this is designated as a potential site for a new Lockport High School campus . I keep hearing that there is a fear that Homer Glen getting a school builder will want to withdraw from the Lockport Township High School District and create their own district with I would assume the high school Homer Junior High and whatever elementary schools are in that area and again this is what I've heard talking with several people that live in that neck of the woods and I worked with several people when I was working for a company in Joliet that were from Lockport who stated the same thing. It's tough because all the communities that feed into Lockport High School from my knowledge, and I've been here in Will County now over 30 years in Bolingbrook, the Communities have vast differences in a lot of ways particularly socioeconomic factors and I don't want to go down that path of political stuff and status stuff because I've seen it in other school districts that have multi-community locations feeding into it and there can be friction and it's sad but it exists.

I don't know why they just don't go out and build a campus there and have it designated for two of the four classes.
Perhaps you could have the freshman and sophomore classes at the campus in Homer Glen and then their last two years move over to Lockport East.. or do it the opposite way....Either way the students are going to get to attend both campuses within their 4 years of time in high school. I guess the question is will there be enough room in that situation?

Most of us can remember when what is now Lincoln Way East in Frankfort was a Freshman-Sophomore campus in the Lincoln Way 210 district and the original Lincoln Way which is now Lincoln-Way Central in New Lenox was for Juniors and Seniors I believe that's the way it ran but if I'm incorrect somebody, WIU or Corey90, correct me. And then increased home building forced that campus in Frankfort to become a four year school which is now East and the New Lenox campus Central.. and then we know what happened after that...the original plan when the Lincoln Way High School District 210 was created in the 40s was to have a high school in each community that fed into it. New Lenox, Mokena, Frankfort, and Manhattan as those areas grew and it was necessitated.

I believe Minooka is doing the same thing with their two campuses. Freshman and Sophomores at the South campus in Channahon on Rt 6 and the Juniors and Seniors at the original Minooka Central campus.

Of course if there are projected increases in the number of students that will be attending Lockport Township High School in say the next decade things could change.. as they did in Lincoln Way and there could be a need for two full four year campuses.

I'm thinking it was just fortunate that the kids at Lockport Central weren't in any of the classrooms at the time that this situation occurred. This could have been a really really bad situation . You know, if you have a Daughter or a Son that is supposed to be attending the Lockport Central campus you got to ask yourself do you want your child going back into that building?

Stay tuned. It's gonna get interesting!
Mike you are correct about how LWE evolved. It was quite remarkable the LWE made the playoffs that first year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT