ADVERTISEMENT

LA 47 ICCP 0 Final

Depends on how you define little guy. They have the second smallest enrollment in the CCL. Leo has 18 more. Somehow they were slotted in the orange because…. They won 3A last year? But that can’t be it as most posters an this thread agree that playing LA tough is more important than a state title

Considering they didn’t even play a single one of their D1 guys I think the score doesn’t tell us anything. LA was still going to win, but IC didn’t even try to win, or play the game really.

Do I think LA could have found a challenge defending all of ICCP’s D1 guys? I do. This score doesn’t change anything because IC decided to just not try and play.
If they didn’t try to win why even play the game? It’s one of the best 4A against one of the best 8A teams. IMO the game prolly should have never been played but hey sometimes it just has to happen to prove why.

Reactions: cigaros
If they didn’t try to win why even play the game? It’s one of the best 4A against one of the best 8A teams. IMO the game prolly should have never been played but hey sometimes it just has to happen to prove why.
Do you think im the appropriate person to answer your first question? I would say call IC’s coach if you want that answer? If he actually had all of his D1 prospects be a healthy scratch, shame on him. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt that they were sick, banged up, etc…but on the surface it’s not a good look.

And for your second point, are you inferring that a full strength IC can’t or shouldn’t play Loyola? They lost to SF on a last second 2 point conversion, the same SF team that was 3 muffed punts from controlling a game wire to wire against a good St. Rita team that Loyola had to actually dig in and play against. I’m aware that’s a lot of transitive property work there, but I think there’s just this enormous arrogance from LA posters that unless its one of maybe 4 teams in the state they should just stay home and give LA the forfeit win. It just reeks of arrogance top to bottom.

At no point in my 2023 did I have “defend IC football” on my bingo card.

Last edited:
I have to digress in my comments about size matchups. My butt hurts today because my home school CG lost today, on homecoming, to Huntley, a school twice our size yet I learned it’s only the 3rd time in history that they’ve beaten CG. In general size matters, not that size for you perverts LOL, but it really comes down to the strength of a program. IC is by all means a strong program and if they were 100% we could be talking about a better matchup. It’s definitely intriguing how even with 8 classes to protect drubbings that there are great programs in every level that can compete across classes.

Actually @DMurph11 some LA posters (me!) are suggesting that forfeit would be better than sending out the B team. You continue to read what you want to see rather than what is actually posted. I'd say most of us were excited to see LA play against the D-1 loaded juggernaut that is IC.

Do you think im the appropriate person to answer your first question? I would say call IC’s coach if you want that answer? If he actually had all of his D1 prospects be a healthy scratch, shame on him. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt that they were sick, banged up, etc…but on the surface it’s not a good look.

And for your second point, are you inferring that a full strength IC can’t or shouldn’t play Loyola? They lost to SF on a last second 2 point conversion, the same SF team that was 3 muffed punts from controlling a game wire to wire against a good St. Rita team that Loyola had to actually dig in and play against. I’m aware that’s a lot of transitive property work there, but I think there’s just this enormous arrogance from LA posters that unless its one of maybe 4 teams in the state they should just stay home and give LA the forfeit win. It just reeks of arrogance top to bottom.

Then why continue to defend them?

Yes, people are saying IC full strenght or not shouldn't have played Loyola. How well did that work out for Rochester?

You can't just throw a 4A team, regardless if they're the best in their class, up against the top 8A team in the state it's not going to be competitive. I don't care how many D1 commits IC has, it was never going to be close.

I'm the furthest thing from a Loyola fan but didn't IC basically forfeit the game by being too scared to play their starters?

IC will he the deserving favorite to win 4A (this coming from a Morris fan), but even if they played their best game with all their starters they don't come within 3 scores of LA.

I am not saying a team should ever forfeit a game. I guess I question the reasoning to play this game.. IMO Loyola wins 9 out of 10 games. Maybe 10 out of 10.

Reactions: LADRN-MCDAD
Actually @DMurph11 the LA posters are suggesting that forfeit would be better than sending out the B team. You continue to read what you want to see rather than what is actually posted. I'd say most of us were excited to see LA play against the D-1 loaded juggernaut that is IC.
And I agree with you. I cannot fathom why, if it’s true that the 8 or 9 best guys on IC were healthy scratches, they would elect to just mail the game in.

My comment gets back to the fact that LA posters actually took offense to my comment that **presuming the same IC team that took the field against Francis played against Loyola**, that somehow the IC coach calling Loyola asking them to rest their starters was an absolutely bonkers proposition.

I attempted to make this point by saying that if the IC team that was on the field against SF actually showed up, and played against an LA team that was resting their 22 BEST PLAYERS, that ICCP would likely blow them out in that scenario. All to illustrate the concept of Kreft making that call being such an absurd notion. Now with more context and seeing who dressed for IC, it makes much more sense if true.

But I want to get back to my previous point…when talking about the hypothetical illustration where LA rested their 22 BEST PLAYERS and that they would get lit up by ICCP, there was a subset of LA fans that found that concept offensive. And the fact that they found that statement offensive is indicative of the arrogance I was referencing earlier.

The important nuances in my points arent difficult to tease out, but they seem to be getting lost on many up in Wilmette.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: lookoutforliam
I am not saying a team should ever forfeit a game. I guess I question the reasoning to play this game.. IMO Loyola wins 9 out of 10 games. Maybe 10 out of 10.
1. A forfeit is acceptable if you have too few players available to compete.
2. Game was scheduled as a division crossover to my understanding.
3. Healthy full strength IC is very good, has multiple P5 kids and likely would have represented well vs Loyola.

Do you understand how CCL scheduling works? ICCP didn’t pick this game.

A forfeit is acceptable if you have too few players available to compete.
Game was scheduled as a division crossover to my understanding.
Healthy full strength IC is very good, has multiple P5 kids and likely would have represented well vs Loyola.
Thank you. It’s a shame we didn’t get to see it played out.

And I want to be clear before any LA posters get in their feelings again…I said earlier in the week that even a fully healthy ICCP loses to Loyola and I quote “31-7, 34-7, etc.” The fact that they found something to be mad about was incredible to me.

Reactions: Gene K.
1. A forfeit is acceptable if you have too few players available to compete.
2. Game was scheduled as a division crossover to my understanding.
3. Healthy full strength IC is very good, has multiple P5 kids and likely would have represented well vs Loyola.
IMO
If both teams were full strength LA wins by at least 3 scores and it’s not close. We can keep disagreeing about it, but we will never know. What we do know is LA took them to the wood shed in this game and know one was surprised.

Then why continue to defend them?

Yes, people are saying IC full strenght or not shouldn't have played Loyola. How well did that work out for Rochester?

You can't just throw a 4A team, regardless if they're the best in their class, up against the top 8A team in the state it's not going to be competitive. I don't care how many D1 commits IC has, it was never going to be close.

I'm the furthest thing from a Loyola fan but didn't IC basically forfeit the game by being too scared to play their starters?

IC will he the deserving favorite to win 4A (this coming from a Morris fan), but even if they played their best game with all their starters they don't come within 3 scores of LA.
Please see my comments in the other thread. I made the comment, and I quote “LA wins 31-7, 34-7, etc.”

LA fans dug through my comments and got upset at my point that even though LA was probably a four score favorite, the gap between the two teams at full strength is not so large that it warrants a call to the LA coach asking him to rest his starters because of the gap between the teams (implying that the LA backups and ICCP starters would be competitive…which I made it clear it likely wouldn’t be).

Threads getting boring. Time to jump to Naz in the discussion in 5A. Start that one next week
About how Naz is getting slept on more than anyone in the state and should be one of the 3 or 4 favorites in 5A if they get in? Because that’s the truth on that matter.

It looks like even if they lose to SF in week 9 they’ll have a shot to potentially get in.

Please see my comments in the other thread. I made the comment, and I quote “LA wins 31-7, 34-7, etc.”

LA fans dug through my comments and got upset at my point that even though LA was probably a four score favorite, the gap between the two teams at full strength is not so large that it warrants a call to the LA coach asking him to rest his starters because of the gap between the teams (implying that the LA backups and ICCP starters would be competitive…which I made it clear it likely wouldn’t be).
I am not a LA supporter just viewing based on how I see it. I agree with you. I don’t see ICCP calling LA coach asking to play the 2nd string. That makes no sense. 👍

Reactions: DMurph11
Massey.com states the probability of Benet defeating Loyola next week is lower than the probability of IC defeating Loyola this week.

Should Benet forfeit the game??

Should Benet just show up and play their healthy players and whatever the outcome is the outcome?

Reactions: DMurph11
About how Naz is getting slept on more than anyone in the state and should be one of the 3 or 4 favorites in 5A if they get in? Because that’s the truth on that matter.

It looks like even if they lose to SF in week 9 they’ll have a shot to potentially get in.
Agree, but a waisted topic on this exhausted LA thread. Start anew next week and this should explode with replies

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
I've taken many a beating - each made me stronger. The honor is in the fight.

Look at Jonny Bones, arguably the baddest man on the planet, humbly getting his tail whooped in a specific discipline that is not his strong suit? He sought out that ass beating!

Reactions: NDSox
Matchups like these are fine. We all thought Montini was crazy 10 years ago taking in Maine South, ESTL, Etc until they started beating them. This is no different.

Wheaton St Francis beat a big boy just Friday night. Same situation…

IC resting their healthy players negates any discussion in how IC would fare vs Loyola at full strength. Total bush league move. What the heck is that IC?

Also…
How is it OK to play the best program in the state and not play your best players for fear of them getting hurt? You’re putting your 2nd stringers at risk of getting hurt. What message is that telling your kids and parents?

Your kid is a backup to Mr D1 and we’re gonna rest him tonight so he doesn’t get hurt against this great team. So we’re gonna play your son against this great team instead bc if he gets hurt, that doesn’t hurt the team that much. Mr D1’s safety is more important than your son’s safety.

Man this really irks me.

Matchups like these are fine. We all thought Montini was crazy 10 years ago taking in Maine South, ESTL, Etc until they started beating them. This is no different.

Wheaton St Francis beat a big boy just Friday night. Same situation…

IC resting their healthy players negates any discussion in how IC would fare vs Loyola at full strength. Total bush league move. What the heck is that IC?
The difference is this would be the lower level schools Super Bowl. The higher level is expected to win and 9 times out of 10 it’s a beat down. Every once in a decade a miracle happens and the little guy wins a once in a lifetime game. It’s not a big game for the larger class unless they are being motivated or feel like they are being disrespected. Again the team we thought would win did and did easily. Again even a squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile. Enough said let’s move on.

The difference is this would be the lower level schools Super Bowl. The higher level is expected to win and 9 times out of 10 it’s a beat down. Every once in a decade a miracle happens and the little guy wins a once in a lifetime game. It’s not a big game for the larger class unless they are being motivated or feel like they are being disrespected. Again the team we thought would win did and did easily. Again even a squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile. Enough said let’s move on.
I know you said move on, but clearly it wasn’t the Super Bowl if they sat all their D1 kids. Good Lord, what a dumb comment.

I know you said move on, but clearly it wasn’t the Super Bowl if they sat all their D1 kids. Good Lord, what a dumb comment.

I have to disagree. I always felt playing Loyola especially at Loyola was playing the King of the CCL and a victory over them was like winning a Super Bowl and felt better than winning the class 5A State Title game.

Is it possible the IC Catholic coach was trying to send a message to the CCL/ESCC? I certainly have no inside information to suggest such a thing. However, remembering posts on this message board from way back last winter, I seem to remember some thoughts that IC Catholic was unhappy with the division it was placed in and the schedule it would have to play. I'm not saying it would be the proper thing to do, but if the coach was angry enough with the schedule and those who created the schedule, perhaps he would react in this manner.

Reactions: CatholicHigh41
I have to disagree. I always felt playing Loyola especially at Loyola was playing the King of the CCL and a victory over them was like winning a Super Bowl and felt better than winning the class 5A State Title game.
Clearly IC felt differently. It was definitely not their “Super Bowl”. That was the point.

Earlier is the week I thought it was foolish to think IC asked Loyola to rest their starters. Now, it sounds like they actually did.

Anyone know if this Is a fact?

Clearly IC felt differently.

Clearly I dont get it because they will never play anyone in a 3A or 4A State Title championship game near the caliber of Loyola.

IC had a shot at beating Loyola and those opportunities are very rare. IC has won many State Titles but this IC class had the opportunity to do something no other IC class had done.

Reactions: colin2229
And if this IC message or action ends the current set up, observers have to understand that CCL scheduling has been a moving target since the late 90s early 2000s Catholic Metro days.

Having the ESCC game to merge 6 years ago was always a big help. For the ones that opt in next year, 77% of their schedules will already be done after the offseason ‘great realignment debates’ (we need a better name).

Clearly I dont get it because they will never play anyone in a 3A or 4A State Title championship game near the caliber of Loyola.

IC had a shot at beating Loyola and those opportunities are very rare. IC has won many State Titles but this IC class had the opportunity to do something no other IC class had done.
I’m on board 100%.
I was looking forward to seeing this game.

Until it didn’t really happen. I have no affiliation, but I respect the hell out of what IC has been able to create.

It was beyond disappointing to hear they were gone send out the backups to get sacrificed. Almost makes me think they should’ve just forfeited if their health situation was such an issue.

For @corey90 to use this fallacy of a game result to again toot his condescending 8A supremacy horn is ridiculous.

I remember a current Iowa DB say at the beginning of the high school year that Loyola was the only game he circled on the calendar that year.

This DB played awesome against Loyola in that game and no Loyola reciever caught a pass against him in that game.

This is how a small school CCL player should approach the game when Loyola appears on your schedule.

This DB did not get any D1 offers until after the Loyola game.

Reactions: CatholicHigh41
And if this IC message or action ends the current set up, observers have to understand that CCL scheduling has been a moving target since the late 90s early 2000s Catholic Metro days.

Having the ESCC game to merge 6 years ago was always a big help. For the ones that opt in next year, 77% of their schedules will already be done after the offseason ‘great realignment debates’ (we need a better name).
It's 100% changing after this year.

the best program in the state
By what metric?
the King of the CCL
Mike O'Brien said in his preseason write-up in August of '22 that "the Caravan remain the kings of Chicago high school football." Now he may have meant within the city boundaries, since JCA has 14 titles, the same as MC. Loyola has four. Maybe one of the statisticians here can find the head-to-head record for LA and MC.

Also…
How is it OK to play the best program in the state and not play your best players for fear of them getting hurt?
Well, did the coach keep healthy players out of the game or not? According to Michael O'Brien in the Sun -Times, "The Knights, with a roster of just 32 players, had nine players out with injuries or illness." Is O'Briend correct or is his reporting off-kilter?

They didn’t
The amount of people on a football board who don’t understand how conference scheduling works at any level of football is baffling to me. As if you get to just hand pick who you play in conference.

Do they think Wisconsin or Illinois get to go to the Big Ten and choose who they play in crossover games?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT