ADVERTISEMENT

JCA 2A?

Could be that, or falling enrollment numbers and just having a year or two of not as high talented classes they are used to having.

Falling enrollment does not impact athletics at private schools. There not losing the D1 kids, they are losing the regular students.

What made me think of this is thinking back to the old Lockport baseball regional.
Ed Sennett was the head coach at Minooka at the time. Ed told me one year Minooka had 30 wins and got seeded 4th. In the regional!
Funny thing Ed says that the seed was accurate
The regional was loaded

What made me think of this is thinking back to the old Lockport baseball regional.
Ed Sennett was the head coach at Minooka at the time. Ed told me one year Minooka had 30 wins and got seeded 4th. In the regional!
Funny thing Ed says that the seed was accurate
The regional was loaded
Baseball seeds are never fully truthful though. Some coaches like to play games with their rankings to avoid top seeds as long as possible. There's a certain coach in that general area that will rank an undefeated team towards the bottom just to mess with their seeding.

Baseball seeds are never fully truthful though. Some coaches like to play games with their rankings to avoid top seeds as long as possible. There's a certain coach in that general area that will rank an undefeated team towards the bottom just to mess with their seeding.

It takes multiple coaches to screw with seeds. Your best and worst votes are thrown out. Plus everyone can see what you are doing.

Could be that, or falling enrollment numbers and just having a year or two of not as high talented classes they are used to having.
Enrollment isn't much different that its been in last 10 years. They are 2A because they are not multiplied, not because of falling enrollment. This year's class is not as strong as in previous years, but they did go 22-12 and finish second in the ESCC with basically a 4A schedule. One down year by their standards. There was no season last year, and two years ago they had one of the best teams in the state that lost to a very good Laurence team in the tournament. They are fine. The IHSA tourney is a crap shoot. It's basically the only tourney kids will play in that is single elimination.

Reactions: Gene K.
How would you rate their achievement over the last 10 years?
Up to par?
No, their tournament performance in the last 10 years has been disappointing. Lots of great regular seasons, just haven’t won the big one in the tourney. Their run from 04-14 was their best run. 4 trophies and 2 championships

How would you rate their achievement over the last 10 years?
Up to par?
Agree with USD that this year's team was not as talented as many that they've had since their last title in 2013. If you look at their recent tournament losses, they consistently struggle to score runs. Any team can run into a dominant pitcher and have their season end. However, the lack of run production in key games seems to be a problem for some very talented JCA teams. IMO, you have to look at your approach as a coaching staff. They bunt more than any team I've seen on the HS level. The overall tenor of their approach to hitting I would label as "defensive". My advice would be to look at the in-game approach to hitting (giving guys the take sign on 2-0) and the excessive bunting. JMO.

Cyclones will crush Timothy. I saw them a couple times and wasn't overly impressed.
All.... Well they are beating SHG in the sixth. Cyclone ace pitched from behind the whole game and didn't have good stuff. Pulled in the fifth when TC got the lead run. The Trojans pitcher is still in. SHG hits him hard everywhere but not for hits. That's all it takes. Ratsy

All.... Cyclones self destruct in the the 7th and give up four unearned runs. The final Timothy Christian 7 SHG 6. Congrats to the the Trojans. Ratsy

All.... Well they are beating SHG in the sixth. Cyclone ace pitched from behind the whole game and didn't have good stuff. Pulled in the fifth when TC got the lead run. The Trojans pitcher is still in. SHG hits him hard everywhere but not for hits. That's all it takes. Rats
SHG took a 6-3 lead in the bottom of the 6th and TC came back and scored 4 in the top of the 7th and held in the bottom of the inning to win 7-6. That is shocking to me. Single elimination tourney's in baseball are silly. More times than not in the IHSA, the best team does not end up winning the state championship in baseball.

Reactions: Blue Ruin
Single elimination tourney's in baseball are silly. More times than not in the IHSA, the best team does not end up winning the state championship in baseball.
No doubt. I didn't even know the 3A tournament had already been completed. Just checked the results. Springfield HS won 3A. SHG beat them in all three meetings in the regular season.

Reactions: Gene K. and USD24
Set up the IHSA like college baseball. 64 teams qualify from each class. 16 regionals of double elimination, 8 super sectionals of best of 3 and an 8 team double elimination final. Play 28 rather than 35 regular season games.

Unfortunately, the IHSA isn’t concerned with the best team winning.
Representation is it’s priority.

Reactions: USD24
All.... Freeburg ended up beating Timothy Christian 12-0. for the first place trophy. One run in the first and fifth, and ten more in the last two innings. Back to the SHG game. The Cyclones had two errors when playing TC in that last inning when they gave up the unearned four. Can't do that and expect success.

Different sport but the Cycs loss Friday ranks not first but close with the 95 SHG/NLP championship game. It wasn't meant to be for whatever reason. That one I will never get over. lol Ratsy

• Sad
All.... Freeburg ended up beating Timothy Christian 12-0. for the first place trophy. One run in the first and fifth, and ten more in the last two innings. Back to the SHG game. The Cyclones had two errors when playing TC in that last inning when they gave up the unearned four. Can't do that and expect success.

Different sport but the Cycs loss Friday ranks not first but close with the 95 SHG/NLP championship game. It wasn't meant to be for whatever reason. That one I will never get over. lol Ratsy
Would never thought possible based on their regular season achievements and UHigh getting to be on their home field, that the Pioneers and Cyclones would end up 3rd and 4th in 2A. I probably would have picked Freeburg 4th after the Super Sectionals.

Three CS8 teams in the finals is impressive. Watch for Chatham in 3A next year. They lose only 1 starter from the group that lost 13-12 to Springfield in the Sectional Finals.

Lots of talent and deep teams in the SPC. I’ve seen most of these kids play on the travel circuit and there were probably 5 teams in the conference capable of a run like this

Plainfield East is a pretty amazing story. Lost 7 straight at one point this season, as well as had a record of 5-12 before turning it around. I also read it's the school's first state title. True Cinderella story.

A prime example of what's great about high school athletics!
Great job by the coaching staff to keep it together and make these kids believe in themselves.
Life lessons for sure.

Reactions: Gene K. and pjjp
A prime example of what's great about high school athletics!
Great job by the coaching staff to keep it together and make these kids believe in themselves.
Life lessons for sure.
And probably wouldn't have even made it if they did they previously mentioned CWS format!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT