ADVERTISEMENT

I'm hearing that the SF job

You're arguing the same point and I'm not saying you're wrong. Complete dumpster fire over there, they have no one to blame but themselves. Now how do you fix it? If you don't see a candidate worthwhile what do you do? Obviously that's where we are at RIGHT NOW, forget the past and look forward, should they just hire someone they don't think is the right fit? Or do you suggest they just cancel the program?

Right now: Hire a strong personality, with a strong supporting core staff and get out of the way...that includes the current structure that acts like a pair of tired old gym shoes tied together tripping over itself. That may mean hiring a man you don't like, but you need. Someone who doesn't really care how you "feel" today, but is dedicated to how the institution succeeds. Give him a strong 5 year commitment and the assets necessary to establish a culture of winning. If you don't have the off season infrastructure to support a winning program, outsource it till you do.

The first thing RIGHT NOW that a successful head coach at StF will have to do is build the character of the program. And in order to build character, you absolutely MUST take inventory of the past. Once you've taken inventory of the past...and trashed the great American lie of "building self esteem"...you must then determine that those events that pave the path of your shortcomings are no longer acceptable.

As I've said in the past, winning is hard. It requires the personal strength to take an intimate look at the self. That self can be the individual, program, or institution.

If StF invites a man in that will guide them down THAT JOURNEY, they'll win consistently, & do so in the spirit of their patron.

ABU!

Reactions: Cat Box and Gene K.
Right now: Hire a strong personality, with a strong supporting core staff and get out of the way...that includes the current structure that acts like a pair of tired old gym shoes tied together tripping over itself. That may mean hiring a man you don't like, but you need. Someone who doesn't really care how you "feel" today, but is dedicated to how the institution succeeds. Give him a strong 5 year commitment and the assets necessary to establish a culture of winning. If you don't have the off season infrastructure to support a winning program, outsource it till you do.

The first thing RIGHT NOW that a successful head coach at StF will have to do is build the character of the program. And in order to build character, you absolutely MUST take inventory of the past. Once you've taken inventory of the past...and trashed the great American lie of "building self esteem"...you must then determine that those events that pave the path of your shortcomings are no longer acceptable.

As I've said in the past, winning is hard. It requires the personal strength to take an intimate look at the self. That self can be the individual, program, or institution.

If StF invites a man in that will guide them down THAT JOURNEY, they'll win consistently, & do so in the spirit of their patron.

ABU!

I get it and I agree, with everything that's the funny part. I am not a part of this coaching search and don't really care one way or the other but if the SF officials conclude that no one is fit for the job then what? Hire someone they don't like? Come on man that's the recipe for more disaster. I'm beginning to think you have a connection to a candidate and thus a bias here. For this exercise think purely hypothetically, if you're in charge and you know what you know about SF's recent history and you don't see one candidate you deem suitable what do you do? If you think you just hire someone to fill the spot that's fine but we'll never agree. I can't say anything about the candidates, I don't know the inner workings, I don't know the candidates, I wasn't a part of the interviews and I don't know their demands, I doubt you do either. With that said this stinks of continued incompetence on SF's part but there is simply no way for any of us here to know until time goes by.

Rumor is young Roz..... may be the next coach!!! All you SFHS.... Know who that is.....The ole man own's the school. He not on the books but sure acts like it. The ole man got us in this mess!!! This is part of the problem for you outsiders...

I get it and I agree, with everything that's the funny part. I am not a part of this coaching search and don't really care one way or the other but if the SF officials conclude that no one is fit for the job then what? Hire someone they don't like? Come on man that's the recipe for more disaster. I'm beginning to think you have a connection to a candidate and thus a bias here. For this exercise think purely hypothetically, if you're in charge and you know what you know about SF's recent history and you don't see one candidate you deem suitable what do you do? If you think you just hire someone to fill the spot that's fine but we'll never agree. I can't say anything about the candidates, I don't know the inner workings, I don't know the candidates, I wasn't a part of the interviews and I don't know their demands, I doubt you do either. With that said this stinks of continued incompetence on SF's part but there is simply no way for any of us here to know until time goes by.
TPF and JPL
I think you both make good points All we kept hearing at the start of this search was how many good candidates they had to pick from. for the final answer to be that none of the ones interviewed by the committee were "qualified" to be the head coach is quite baffling. Where did the great candidates go? I would ask, Who selected the candidates to be interviewed by the committee and how many were interviewed by the committee? There seems to be a great disconnect between the first interviewer(s) and the committee. That would lead me to believe that there is poor communication between those two parties. Who is on this committee? Someone has really dropped the ball here. I believe the Francis guys here know what got them into this and it appears they may be headed down the wrong path again with those running the school aligning themselves to closely with parents that want a vested interest in how things are run and coaches/boosters that have personal agendas that don't align with the mission of the school. TPF made a good point about getting the right guy, as it stands now it is going to be very difficult to field a varsity team next fall without putting kids who aren't ready into situations they should not be in. That would not be good for anyone involved or the game itself.

Rumor is young Roz..... may be the next coach!!! All you SFHS.... Know who that is.....The ole man own's the school. He not on the books but sure acts like it. The ole man got us in this mess!!! This is part of the problem for you outsiders...

Bling Diesel,

Every word you wrote is a lie. I also have a VERY good idea who you are.

Reactions: Bling_Diesel
How do you suppose they should of matched the pension that comes along with the pay at NN?
The money was a small part of the problem, the lack of support from the admin was and is the major problem that still exists. They have not interviewed candidates unless they have HC experience.(from what I have heard). Why would a HC want to coach at a 1-8 team with the crap going on there. I know of a young coach from out west with family ties to St Francis with 9 years of High school experience, currently the OC at a national powerhouse with off the chart references that didn't make their cut. An athletic trainer is on the committee. What experience does she have in hiring and knowing resumes of football coaches I don't know. The problem lies with the people running the process. How many AD's would let an opposing rival team(from lombard) that you play in two weeks stand in your end zone with his team coat and film offensive sets and coaching signals? The St Francis AD and president were notified of the situation in the first quarter and allowed it for the entire game. Thats the kind of support they gave Fitz and his players. When you have weak leaders they make poor decisions and live and work in fear. They trashed the program in two years. They wouldn't hire an oline coach as a permanent substitute teacher, pays about 22k a year to read a newspaper. He was then scooped up and hired by Marist. Good people know how to make it work. Pat Roz and his son are good coaches and better people. They got tired of the poor leadership. The people leading the search are hand picked by the AD and are not football people with one exception. Leadership and culture matter.

I started to write a detailed reply...better off if I simply say OK.

I know your allegiance is to Washington and East. Believe it or not, the institutional football train wreck at StF goes back to the late 60's. I know that gentlemen like Coach Purnell (sp?) have brought spurts of success. I've got no dog in this fight other than watching good young men and their families in a "Ground Hog Day" struggle. They deserve better.

JL

TPF and JPL
I think you both make good points All we kept hearing at the start of this search was how many good candidates they had to pick from. for the final answer to be that none of the ones interviewed by the committee were "qualified" to be the head coach is quite baffling. Where did the great candidates go? I would ask, Who selected the candidates to be interviewed by the committee and how many were interviewed by the committee? There seems to be a great disconnect between the first interviewer(s) and the committee. That would lead me to believe that there is poor communication between those two parties. Who is on this committee? Someone has really dropped the ball here. I believe the Francis guys here know what got them into this and it appears they may be headed down the wrong path again with those running the school aligning themselves to closely with parents that want a vested interest in how things are run and coaches/boosters that have personal agendas that don't align with the mission of the school. TPF made a good point about getting the right guy, as it stands now it is going to be very difficult to field a varsity team next fall without putting kids who aren't ready into situations they should not be in. That would not be good for anyone involved or the game itself.

Hence my point regarding a man you might not "like" and perhaps I should have pointed out-you need.

In my humble opinion, the next individual to take the helm of the Spartans should be a mature former head coach, much like Coach Purnell (sp?). A gentlemen who's capable of standing up to all parties exterior to the program and look out for his players.

Good luck!

JLP

JL, TPF, bling, Spartan,

Having played and coached against Francis for years, I find this situation a complete mess. How does a athletic trainer get to be on the selection committee??? The administration has handled this process terribly. Someone there has to be held accountable for this. Who will it be???
Sounds like the AD needs serious help.
Get a coach who wants to establish a culture of hard work and toughness, doesn't need to be a HC. Lived that change, starts with a supportive AD.

Cal

Spartacus, Simon, Clown, etc...

With the drivel all you "insiders" have posted here in this specific thread, I'm trying to figure out who the biggest Bullshit artist is; you guys, CNN, or Fox News?!

It's funny if you were gonna call BS I figured you would direct at your fellow Naz friends since they seem to be the clueless ones.

And please point out one thing of insider information I wrote in this thread?

I started to write a detailed reply...better off if I simply say OK.

I know your allegiance is to Washington and East. Believe it or not, the institutional football train wreck at StF goes back to the late 60's. I know that gentlemen like Coach Purnell (sp?) have brought spurts of success. I've got no dog in this fight other than watching good young men and their families in a "Ground Hog Day" struggle. They deserve better.

JL
Fair enough, I know the problems are not new and indictitive of a bigger problem but many questioned the one publicized candidate's fit. Evidently SF had questions too, all I'm saying is they have to get this right and can't hire someone simply based off ending the search for the sake of their image. I don't pretend to know he whole story and be connected to any of it. I'm sure you know about incompetence that would make me cringe. Hopefully they get it right but at this point it doesn't seem likely. I doubt they are long for CCL too.

It's funny if you were gonna call BS I figured you would direct at your fellow Naz friends since they seem to be the clueless ones.

Can't find an IHSA basketball website to talk about WWS? :cool:

Clown,

You are correct I was wrong to have included you in this group, I thought you said more basing it on your comment to me yesterday, but after review of the thread, it turns out I am wrong about you BSing in this thread. As for the Naz guys, let's just say I'll resevere judgement until this runs its course...The fat lady has yet to sing.

I would assume the Naz guys still have a good connection to the candidate mentioned. That's gotta be where their information and confidence is coming from, maybe they end up being "wrong" but that's obviously what the other side of this is hearing/believes. That just leads me to think this whole process is even more effed.

Clown,

You are correct I was wrong to have included you in this group, I thought you said more basing it on your comment to me yesterday, but after review of the thread, it turns out I am wrong about you BSing in this thread. As for the Naz guys, let's just say I'll resevere judgement until this runs its course...The fat lady has yet to sing.

jwar,

Why was I included? Can you point out where what I have posted was wrong?

Spartacus, Simon, Clown, etc...

With the drivel all you "insiders" have posted here in this specific thread, I'm trying to figure out who the biggest Bullshit artist is; you guys, CNN, or Fox News?!
Clown,

Maybe you should stick around. All the backpedaling and misinformation is very entertaining.

"I haven’t heard any of that. I didn’t hear all of it. I heard a lot about most of it, but what I did hear, I did not hear any of that."

— Marc Trestman

There is a ton of bad information out there about this hire and the even more bad info about the school and committee.

I think the SF AD has been ripped apart. Well, it was the AD who hired Fitz and he got a home run. He has also hired some very good basketball, baseball and soccer coaches. He has been treated really unfairly on this site.

What's more is this search is not a mess and it has been run MUCH MUCH MUCH more efficiently than many here think.

I know the search is not over and never was and that the people deciding who will be hired next have not thrown their hands up and gone back to square one. The search and the interview process never ended just because one person was no longer considered for the job.

There are also perfectly good reasons for one person being on the committee and this persons presence has been criticized.

For those of you who are interested I think a new head coach could be named soon and I hear it is a pretty good pick. If the school can't get who they want the search will continue.

Reactions: ClownBaby
There is a ton of bad information out there about this hire and the even more bad info about the school and committee.

I think the SF AD has been ripped apart. Well, it was the AD who hired Fitz and he got a home run. He has also hired some very good basketball, baseball and soccer coaches. He has been treated really unfairly on this site.

What's more is this search is not a mess and it has been run MUCH MUCH MUCH more efficiently than many here think.

I know the search is not over and never was and that the people deciding who will be hired next have not thrown their hands up and gone back to square one. The search and the interview process never ended just because one person was no longer considered for the job.

There are also perfectly good reasons for one person being on the committee and this persons presence has been criticized.

For those of you who are interested I think a new head coach could be named soon and I hear it is a pretty good pick. If the school can't get who they want the search will continue.

I agree with everything you wrote....

Ghost ,
I love you but the process is not going well. They don't have a strong candidate or he would be the coach right now. The AD has made a couple good hires but has struggled in the football department. For the record Fitz was brought back to the table after he turned the job down. That person was not the AD.

Is that white smoke coming out of St. Francis' Chimney?!

Ghost ,
I love you but the process is not going well. They don't have a strong candidate or he would be the coach right now. The AD has made a couple good hires but has struggled in the football department. For the record Fitz was brought back to the table after he turned the job down. That person was not the AD.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT