ADVERTISEMENT

I'm hearing that the SF job

JCHILLTOPPERS

May 29, 2001
It could go to a former pro coach. My sources are telling me a former Arena football player and coach is going to get a second interview soon.

But my question is why would SF give consideration to someone who has almost no if not zero coaching experience with high school kids? From what I know this guy that SF is looking at has no high school experience and only has pro coaching experience. I have been paying alot of attention to the thread about the old SF coach and the main argument against the old coach is he had never had any high school experience and he took them to 1-8. Seeing how JCA just hired a new guy but Jawarski a ton of experience at JCA and with high school kids.

My main point is why would SF look at a guy who has no background with high school kids AGAIN?

And how important is it to hire a coach with high school experience?

Reactions: guerinfbfan
I'm hearing the same things JCHILL!

Don't know why SF would wanna go that route again, hiring a guy with Pro/College experience, after the Lepsche disaster.

Reactions: Simon "GHOST' Riley
Depends on how good of a coach you are. Did Holicek coach high school before taking over at LA? Asking, not being rhetorical.
Being a good high school coach is not just about X's and O's for the high school level. Its building the relationships with the kids and getting them to push themselves more than they would be willing, no matter what the scenario...school, practice, game, weight room, etc.
A good coach is a good coach. Experience at the high school level should not be the only factor. Neither should success at any level. Every situation is different, and each one needs to have the right fit at the right time. What works at one school may not work any where else.
Could someone with no high school coaching experience do well and turn a program around? Sure. Could he fail and be run out of town? Sure. Only time will tell if they make the correct choice.

Reactions: ClownBaby
Football is football, it's all about how you handle people. Regardless of experience if you can find the right way to motivate kids you will win.

This makes zero sense if they hire a person without high school experience. I've worked in a high school for twenty years, they are a different animal to coach!

Reactions: Simon "GHOST' Riley
It could go to a former pro coach. My sources are telling me a former Arena football player and coach is going to get a second interview soon.

My main point is why would SF look at a guy who has no background with high school kids AGAIN?

JC,

I am at a loss. I am not involved with what's going on but I have a few people that know whats going on giving me little bits of info and I am really in shock from what I hear. After the last guy turned out to be a total trainwreck of a coach, I thought maybe the school would try to look at people with experience with high school kids.

It's really unfair to the kids at SF because this will be the fourth head coach since 2013 and what I really worry about is if they hire the guy wwere talking about it will drive away a bunch of really really good assistants that had been here before Lepsche and won't come back if this pro coach is hired.

I am hearing there are a bunch of applicants that have a ton of experience with high schoolers but don't have head coaching experience. BIG DEAL. Fitz was awesome and he had never been a head coach but he knew high school kids and offense.

If SF effs this one up it will hurt the school real bad.

Regardless.. I really wish the best for SF and hope they get it right. The kids deserve it. The next coach won't be there because of the money... maybe that's a good thing.

I am neither for nor against it if this was the hire, I just don't know enough. I have read a few negatives but a positive is his ties to the area, he should know the landscape. That could not be said for the previous coach.

Did anyone watch that reality show of the arena league team that featured this candidate? I think highly of his accumen and I'm really surprised SF people aren't behind this potential hire but at the same time I don't know if he's made for the HS game. Just watching him throughout the course of the season he seemed a little more brash and edgy then I'd expect from a HS coach. Maybe the admin fell in love with the sexy pick as opposed to the right one.

JC,

I am at a loss. I am not involved with what's going on but I have a few people that know whats going on giving me little bits of info and I am really in shock from what I hear. After the last guy turned out to be a total trainwreck of a coach, I thought maybe the school would try to look at people with experience with high school kids.

It's really unfair to the kids at SF because this will be the fourth head coach since 2013 and what I really worry about is if they hire the guy wwere talking about it will drive away a bunch of really really good assistants that had been here before Lepsche and won't come back if this pro coach is hired.

I am hearing there are a bunch of applicants that have a ton of experience with high schoolers but don't have head coaching experience. BIG DEAL. Fitz was awesome and he had never been a head coach but he knew high school kids and offense.

If SF effs this one up it will hurt the school real bad.[/QUOTA

All the good assistants were already chased out by Lepsche. New coach will have to start from scratch

Simon ...

All the assistants were chaced out by Lepsche. The new coach will have to start from scratch

McMillian also has coached youth ball so he's coached younger athletes. As a Naperville patriot guy he should have a chance to bring some good players into St Francis.

Don Beebe played pro ball and never coached before he took the reigns Aurora Christian in 2004. Beebe racked up a 97-26 record with 2 State Championships and a runner up finish in his 10 year run as head coach.

I believe people are being short sighted if they believe a former pro/college coach cannot have success with high school students. Are high school students a different animal? Of course. But football is football.

Don Beebe played pro ball and never coached before he took the reigns Aurora Christian in 2004. Beebe racked up a 97-26 record with 2 State Championships and a runner up finish in his 10 year run as head coach.

I believe people are being short sighted if they believe a former pro/college coach cannot have success with high school students. Are high school students a different animal? Of course. But football is football.
Agree and you cannot let a past poor hire cloud your vision. Each candidate should stand alone.

Knowing that he has coached youth football actually makes me feel better. While not high school it shows he was able to coach non-adults.

Agree and you cannot let a past poor hire cloud your vision. Each candidate should stand alone.

Knowing that he has coached youth football actually makes me feel better. While not high school it shows he was able to coach non-adults.

Based on a lot of the youth football coaches I have known and observed over the years, I would feel worse, not better!

I know the candidate well, played with him in college and high school. He would be a great pick, private school background, understands kids ( kept involved coaching youth football in the off season). His wife is a Francis alumn, he went to IC and knows how to build a winner. The question that has to be answered is will the Administration be supportive, financially and with coaching hires. Can they put together a position at or in the school that can allow him to coach and market the school to potential students.
If St Francis hires and supports bob, he will win. Every area football coach is watching this hire, could be a sleeping giant in the next3-4 years.

I know the candidate well, played with him in college and high school. He would be a great pick, private school background, understands kids ( kept involved coaching youth football in the off season). His wife is a Francis alumn, he went to IC and knows how to build a winner. The question that has to be answered is will the Administration be supportive, financially and with coaching hires. Can they put together a position at or in the school that can allow him to coach and market the school to potential students.
If St Francis hires and supports bob, he will win. Every area football coach is watching this hire, could be a sleeping giant in the next3-4 years.

So what $$$ does Bob need? It looks like SF has 4 in house assistant coaches returning.

I believe the interview process would answer that question.
The AD and board will know, he is a quality communicator, who will come with a plan to revive and restore the football program.
He knows how to bring in the right kids to grow the school and develop winners. St Francis administration will let us all know through their selection and support if they are committed to their young men.

The AD and board will know, he is a quality communicator, who will come with a plan to revive and restore the football program.
He knows how to bring in the right kids to grow the school and develop winners. St Francis administration will let us all know through their selection and support if they are committed to their young men.

I hope they look at someone else. I don't know this guy at all and I am sure he knows football but I would like a coach with high school experience.

How do you know he knows how to bring the right kids into the school and develop a winner if he has never done this in a high school?

Just thought you had some inside information on what he needed financially --- can he afford to live in Naperville on less than $100K?

Just thought you had some inside information on what he needed financially --- can he afford to live in Naperville on less than $100K?

His older son went to Naperville Central so I would think he's in the area and doubt he got rich off the Arena League.

Other coaches who coached the Naperville Patriots were successful in bringing those players with them when they went to coach the high school level. If McMillen is able to do that St Francis will be fine. If Difusco is no longer at Bolingbrook my bet would be he comes with.

McMillian also has coached youth ball so he's coached younger athletes. As a Naperville patriot guy he should have a chance to bring some good players into St Francis.
I don't know that the hooking your wagon to the Patriots and one of their leaders is a good idea. I hear MacMillen is a great guy but not a teacher. That means they would need to create a non-teaching position in the school. If he intends on bringing his boss from the patriots that could be a show stopper. Francis doesn't overlook finances the way some other schools operate. Any athletes brought in will be paying full tuition.

His older son went to Naperville Central so I would think he's in the area and doubt he got rich off the Arena League.

Other coaches who coached the Naperville Patriots were successful in bringing those players with them when they went to coach the high school level. If McMillen is able to do that St Francis will be fine. If Difusco is no longer at Bolingbrook my bet would be he comes with.
There is a reason why Difusco isn't at Bollingbrook. There is a reason why he is not at Nazareth as well.

Reactions: Patzo and USD24
I liked what out offense could have been under DiFusco. Needed to execute better, but the potential was there for sure.

I liked what out offense could have been under DiFusco. Needed to execute better, but the potential was there for sure.
Not questioning his knowledge. Bringing players in incorrectly is not something Francis does. Doug has quite a track record. Not always following rules at both the youth and high school level.

Reactions: Patzo
Not questioning his knowledge. Bringing players in incorrectly is not something Francis does. Doug has quite a track record. Not always following rules at both the youth and high school level.
Hey man, I stick to the football side of it... but with a private school the address thing is a non-issue so I would be less concerned. We just have to try to make football great again over here so as long as you stay away from Patriots with Bolingbrook addresses (even those who would go to Neuqua, Plainfield East, Naperville Central, or Downers South because they should be ours too if they play football) then everything is a-okay!

Reactions: NNFAN and Patzo
Hey man, I stick to the football side of it... but with a private school the address thing is a non-issue so I would be less concerned. We just have to try to make football great again over here so as long as you stay away from Patriots with Bolingbrook addresses (even those who would go to Neuqua, Plainfield East, Naperville Central, or Downers South because they should be ours too if they play football) then everything is a-okay!
Bones,

Just saying those are huge factors in hiring the head coach. Can't ignore them.
I would say deal killers. That and having to create a job are obstacles.

I would expect if they have reached the point of a 2nd interview the $ is a know "thing" and they wouldn't waste each others time. Just my 2 cents.

Hey hey hey, wait.... let's split the Patriots between us, and you can have half of the Rita football players (that don't pass the entrance test) that I bus to Naperville.

Reactions: Cross Bones
Heard more than just Difusco is coming with. Rumored (just what i've heard, havent talked to anyone directly involved) McMillan is going to incorporate one or both of the Niklos brothers with Acceleration and more importantly BOOM ties. (kids love BOOM)

If you're looking at a former arena guy, a Naperville Patriots guy, and Boom guys? St. Francis is going to be getting kids REAL quick. Naz, Montini, IC and the rest of the Chicagoland area should be put on notice! This could be a big hire despite all of us posting about how long the process has been taking lol.

Heard more than just Difusco is coming with. Rumored (just what i've heard, havent talked to anyone directly involved) McMillan is going to incorporate one or both of the Niklos brothers with Acceleration and more importantly BOOM ties. (kids love BOOM)

If you're looking at a former arena guy, a Naperville Patriots guy, and Boom guys? St. Francis is going to be getting kids REAL quick. Naz, Montini, IC and the rest of the Chicagoland area should be put on notice! This could be a big hire despite all of us posting about how long the process has been taking lol.
Francis Guys,
I appreciate your passion for the school and it seems you want to do things the right way. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on any of my thoughts. It appears that the direction is becoming only about wining football games. To me, the problem started when Coach Purnell was forced to give up calling the offense the year Butler was a senior. Maybe he was contemplating retiring soon, maybe not but you took the control out of a coach that had won a state championship at Francis. You bring in a new coach which was rumored to be very parent driven and new coach aligned himself with these parents. Said coach left and quite frankly for possibly very good future family financial concerns. New coach brought in under heavy influence of lower level coach and many coaches left or simply not retained. Left with few kids in program and not many quality coaches. Also, to bring in Lepsche, was the baseball coach re-assigned from some of his paid responsibilities? Your baseball coach is a VERY good coach and runs a great program. Seems like you may be headed down the same path. You talk about developing a culture at your school in Boy's Athletics, but it seems to be at the expense of what good culture and good coaches you already have there. It appears you have the wrong people making the decisions as parents still involved who actually took kids out because they didn't feel the team was going to be good enough. Now they are back leading the charge to hire what may appear to be some people that often ignite quite the discourse and emotions. I don't feel winning by itself creates a good, healthy culture for a school. Give me families who want their sons/daughters at the school and will learn lessons about competing, teamwork and get an education that prepares them for the next 40 years not just the years on varsity football. I don't want the ones who pull their kids out because football is more important than everything else. Give me a coach that can be a part of the community and be a part of a great culture and has the same high expectations on the field. Yes, you may have to do more with less some years, but you have student/athletes who have passion for their school and community. The game is under duress for a myriad of reasons and parents need to understand all the positives that young men get from being in a sport and at a place that you just cannot get anywhere else.

Hey hey hey, wait.... let's split the Patriots between us, and you can have half of the Rita football players (that don't pass the entrance test) that I bus to Naperville.

We definitely could use some of the beef Rita gets, deal.

Francis Guys,
I appreciate your passion for the school and it seems you want to do things the right way. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on any of my thoughts. It appears that the direction is becoming only about wining football games. To me, the problem started when Coach Purnell was forced to give up calling the offense the year Butler was a senior. Maybe he was contemplating retiring soon, maybe not but you took the control out of a coach that had won a state championship at Francis. You bring in a new coach which was rumored to be very parent driven and new coach aligned himself with these parents. Said coach left and quite frankly for possibly very good future family financial concerns. New coach brought in under heavy influence of lower level coach and many coaches left or simply not retained. Left with few kids in program and not many quality coaches. Also, to bring in Lepsche, was the baseball coach re-assigned from some of his paid responsibilities? Your baseball coach is a VERY good coach and runs a great program. Seems like you may be headed down the same path. You talk about developing a culture at your school in Boy's Athletics, but it seems to be at the expense of what good culture and good coaches you already have there. It appears you have the wrong people making the decisions as parents still involved who actually took kids out because they didn't feel the team was going to be good enough. Now they are back leading the charge to hire what may appear to be some people that often ignite quite the discourse and emotions. I don't feel winning by itself creates a good, healthy culture for a school. Give me families who want their sons/daughters at the school and will learn lessons about competing, teamwork and get an education that prepares them for the next 40 years not just the years on varsity football. I don't want the ones who pull their kids out because football is more important than everything else. Give me a coach that can be a part of the community and be a part of a great culture and has the same high expectations on the field. Yes, you may have to do more with less some years, but you have student/athletes who have passion for their school and community. The game is under duress for a myriad of reasons and parents need to understand all the positives that young men get from being in a sport and at a place that you just cannot get anywhere else.
I agree Ekarb, but you did mention competing. Purnell had neck surgery and needed help that year, unfortunately his assistant didn't game plan or watch tape. Some people did leave, not about football but a lack of admin willing to compete. Why build an 8 million dollar structure and fail to support the coach and players? One coach can't do it all. Life is about competing everywhere from the classroom to the theater to the football field. It is the total package for the student athlete. They did more with less in 2014, they had 9 2 way players. Compete in everything you do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT