ADVERTISEMENT

I'm hearing that the SF job

I predict St. Francis will get "healed up" in the Metro Suburban, then make a move back into the CCL where they belong.

Never will a 5A SF belong in the CCL with games against the 7A & 8A schools. Never will it belong in the ESCC either for the same reasons. In the Metro, they can schedule two non-conference games with Montini, Marmion, Fenwick or JCA and be playoff ready.

Never will a 5A SF belong in the CCL with games against the 7A & 8A schools. Never will it belong in the ESCC either for the same reasons. In the Metro, they can schedule two non-conference games with Montini, Marmion, Fenwick or JCA and be playoff ready.

I would agree if we're talking CCL Blue but you're dead wrong about CCL Green and ESCC.

Why have schools like Marmion, Montini, St Laurence, JCA, Naz, MCC had success then? Those schools are all roughly the same size.

6a01310f9ede0b970c017d425aaafc970c-pi

Mcmillen new head coach at Francis. Worked through all the roadblocks. Great for the men of st francis. Onto the metro.
mchs,

Sure looks like it. We may have a new coach but we are headed into a weak league.

I had hoped SF could get Aurrillio, but I hear he is close to getting a really good job at another school.

Not sure SF ever liked the CCL thing. heard parents complained about the travel. liked it better just playing teams in Western suburbs, like the the old SCC. Sure goes hand in hand with a school de emphasizing athletics. so, if a kid is considering Benet, SF, Marmion, Montini or Naz, and athletics is important, what exactly is SF going to tell them?

Reactions: Gene K.
Not sure SF ever liked the CCL thing. heard parents complained about the travel. liked it better just playing teams in Western suburbs, like the the old SCC. Sure goes hand in hand with a school de emphasizing athletics. so, if a kid is considering Benet, SF, Marmion, Montini or Naz, and athletics is important, what exactly is SF going to tell them?

psspfan,

I don't like the fact SF is leaving the CCL and I can't totally explain why they are doing it. I really think what the schools is saying is academics is more important than athletics and that is a good thing.

If you look at SF since 2000, football won 5A in 2008........... boys baseball got 2nd in 2013 and 3rd in 15 .........boys cross country got 3rd place in 2004.....boys tennis got 3rd in 2004........girls cross country got 2nd twice in 2000 and 2001......girls soccer won a title in 2011 and got 4th in 2015...........and girls volleyball has won 8 of their 12 state titles.

Its not a huge collection of trophies but it shows some balance in the athletic programs. Where SF has fallen short is in football and I think the school could do better. I'm not saying SF needs to win every game or a state title every year, but they could be better meaning they could be a 5-4 team every year.

So if a student looks at those schools you named I think SF could say they have decent athletic programs but we won't let athletics get in the way and take over the school.

For every superpower in any sport, there is going to be a dry spot someday. If you look at WWS, they have been 4-5 and had back to back 2-7 seasons lately. WWS will be back and maybe this new hire at SF will make SF steadily competitive.

psspfan,

I don't like the fact SF is leaving the CCL and I can't totally explain why they are doing it. I really think what the schools is saying is academics is more important than athletics and that is a good thing.

If you look at SF since 2000, football won 5A in 2008........... boys baseball got 2nd in 2013 and 3rd in 15 .........boys cross country got 3rd place in 2004.....boys tennis got 3rd in 2004........girls cross country got 2nd twice in 2000 and 2001......girls soccer won a title in 2011 and got 4th in 2015...........and girls volleyball has won 8 of their 12 state titles.

Its not a huge collection of trophies but it shows some balance in the athletic programs. Where SF has fallen short is in football and I think the school could do better. I'm not saying SF needs to win every game or a state title every year, but they could be better meaning they could be a 5-4 team every year.

So if a student looks at those schools you named I think SF could say they have decent athletic programs but we won't let athletics get in the way and take over the school.

For every superpower in any sport, there is going to be a dry spot someday. If you look at WWS, they have been 4-5 and had back to back 2-7 seasons lately. WWS will be back and maybe this new hire at SF will make SF steadily competitive.

how is leaving the CCL for a no named conference "saying" we are putting academics over athletics. I come from a school where you have both. Certainly Benet would have both to some degree.

Reactions: Spartanalum13
how is leaving the CCL for a no named conference "saying" we are putting academics over athletics. I come from a school where you have both. Certainly Benet would have both to some degree.

I didn't say leaving the CCL did say academics was more important.

All I said was if a student was looking at the school you named SF could say they are making sure academics is more important than athletics. If you look at the schools you named it is possible some people could say "all those schools care about is winning in football"

I didn't say leaving the CCL did say academics was more important.

All I said was if a student was looking at the school you named SF could say they are making sure academics is more important than athletics. If you look at the schools you named it is possible some people could say "all those schools care about is winning in football"

I'd also ask "was being in the CCL really bringing kids to SF"? I'd say the answer was, No.

I wish they wouldn't have made the decision to leave but it is what it is. I also think in less than 10 years time the private school athletic landscape in terms of conferences will be shaken up again...maybe much less than 10 years.

I hope the new coach can turn the program around, again, and stabilize it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spartanalum13
I would say Wheaton academy was better 5 years ago, they handed it to IC in 2012 I think. Acc is only better because they're playing crappy teams. I wasn't ever sold on Brian Casey being a good coach, I'm sure curry(their old coach) would've won just as much if they changed conferences.

This is crazy talk, Casey was a hell of a coach and made them a contender. And he's done a real good job at Montini, took the Blake kid from "athlete" to a 1st team all state quarterback. In the spirit of this wonderful thread, the run the Blake kid had against St. Francis in 2015 was like nothing you've seen before. I'm sold on Casey. Would be a great fit at St. Francis but dont think he's leaving the alma mater.

SF hires McMillen....good hire. Too bad my son is a SR and had to endure the 1-8 but it looks like they got it right with this hire.

Good Morning,

St. Francis High School is pleased to announce the hiring of Bob McMillen as Head Football Coach.
Bob was a 1988 graduate of Immaculate Conception Catholic Prep. He went on to an All-American college career at College of DuPage and Benedictine College. Bob then played professional Arena-League football for 13 years in Arizona, San Jose and Chicago.
Bob went into Arena-League coaching where he served as an assistant coach and 5 years as a head coach for the Chicago Rush and the Los Angeles Kiss.
Bob currently resides in Naperville where he was coaching for the 12U Naperville Patriot Youth Football program. With the Naperville Patriot program, he has been a part of seven national championships. Bob’s wife, Joanie Serio McMillen ’90 is an alumna of St. Francis High School.
Please welcome Bob to the St. Francis family!

Dan Hardwick
Director of Athletics
St. Francis High School
“A Community in which Minds and Spirits Thrive”

Last edited:
I agree they are hurting... I know they refused to play De La Salle in 2017 and that should have been their crossover

Wait so one guy makes a school? Also you never answered the question? How does not playing a game mean that a school is hurting?

Dodging games to pad the schedule, they only tested 75 kids. Maybe 50 will make up the class???

Wow you know alot about the school? Do you work here? And dodging isn't that what ever school does to make sure they can make the playoffs? But don't they have the right to play whoever they want?

Weeks 1 and 2 should be to play who you want... 3-9 should be conference and crossovers unless you mess up and sign a two year deal with a downstate team who refuses to let you out of contract. Come on seriously, only a matter of time before Joes, Leo, Hope Academy are all on the outside looking in. 5 years max before that land is owned by the village of Westchester

The AD is the vice president of the league so I don't think Joes is going anywhere. Also why the attack on Joes? This was about St Francis and it becoming a post about nothing for this topic! But it seems like Joes has done something to you that your very angry with the school!

Never once did I brag about making the playoffs, what there to brag about we made it 1 time. Bragging is far from what i'm doing. I just made the statement that Joes is in a good place. Better then where we were. You brought up testing when and went on about the school. So I am going to defend the school!

Ok sounds good, best of luck... would have loved to see you play the Meteors this year. They'll be going to Michigan instead

Never once did I brag about making the playoffs, what there to brag about we made it 1 time. Bragging is far from what i'm doing. I just made the statement that Joes is in a good place. Better then where we were. You brought up testing when and went on about the school. So I am going to defend the school!

No one has worked harder and succeeded more than the coach at St. Joe's.
He's widely respected - particularly among those who've followed high school football and wrestling.

Facts are they are hurting for students, facts are they are hurting for steady flow of money into the school, facts are they can't keep taking classes of 50-75 students and expect to stay open. That's not sustainable! We all know damn well those 75 are not all paying full price. (I'm not insinuating anything improper at all, but the areas they draw from are not incredibly affluent, aided will be required) St Joe's is the very definition of hurting. I hope they stay open, it's a much better option for a lot of HS than Proviso's etc plus with Fenwick/Nazareth at capacity you think they can find their niche in the area but they're barely staying afloat. No one wants Joe's to fail so there is no need to get defensive but the reality of the situation is they are struggling. Sometimes you can be too invested to see the truth right in front of your face. We hope for continued success for your football and wrestling programs coach but don't try and pull the wool over our eyes.

psspfan,

It's not complicated. Culture and leadership.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT