ADVERTISEMENT

Home stretch

sporthog9er

Jun 9, 2001
What are everyone's thoughts on last few weeks of HS baseball and into playoffs?

Rice is my favorite for 4A, they are absolutely stacked this year. Tough schedule and one of the few dominant teams in 4A. Edwardsville will likely be in Joliet too, them vs Rice would be great to see.

STL and JCA have good shots in 3A/2A fields. Naz in 3A sectional with Laurence is tough. I also like St. Viator in 3A.

What's up with Marist this year? Seems like a big drop off.

Providence is under .500? They play tough schedule too, but that seems odd....

Yorkville is making a lot of noise in 4A.

Would not be surprised if Huntley, St. Charles East or Mundelein win it all either.

Reactions: go_rice
What are everyone's thoughts on last few weeks of HS baseball and into playoffs?

Rice is my favorite for 4A, they are absolutely stacked this year. Tough schedule and one of the few dominant teams in 4A. Edwardsville will likely be in Joliet too, them vs Rice would be great to see.

STL and JCA have good shots in 3A/2A fields. Naz in 3A sectional with Laurence is tough. I also like St. Viator in 3A.

What's up with Marist this year? Seems like a big drop off.

Providence is under .500? They play tough schedule too, but that seems odd....

Yorkville is making a lot of noise in 4A.

Would not be surprised if Huntley, St. Charles East or Mundelein win it all either.
Unfortunately its such a crapshoot. Run into one hot pitcher & the whole "absolutely stacked" season is for naught. See Plainfield East's run last year. Should be a hell of a postseason!

Pretty sure it’s run support and fielding. Watched OHS shut them out yesterday. BTW, Bryson Mello is quietly putting together a great season on the mound for the Panthers. Looking forward to seeing Yorkville next week. 23-3 in the SPC is pretty impressive.

• Wow
Reactions: Gene K.
The rumor is Izzi and Schultz are both pitching against OHS on Thursday. Expectation is 70-100 scouts, however I don’t expect Schultz to pitch in HS again.

In 3A, defending champion Springfield, Chatham Glenwood, and Normal U High are all in the same Sectional. Springfield doesn’t have quite as much pitching this year but most of their lineup has returned. They hang in games and often find a way to win late. Glenwood has Junior pitcher Parker Detmers, who has committed to Louisville and is the brother of Reid Detmers who just threw a no hitter for the Angels. Their senior class won 2 state titles in junior high. Chatham lost by a run to Springfield in the Sectional finals last year. U High was 3rd in 2A last year and has 3 D-1 pitching commits. They shut out a strong Rochester offense twice this year and rarely give up more than 1-2 runs.

Last edited:
Ifffff Riverside Brookfield can get through Argo / whitney Young / Mount Carmel they would face Brother Rice with superstar P Owen Murphy on the bump, that could be an epic matchup. Give me dark horse / undersized Riverside Brookfield in 4a

I don’t know who is in 3A but Laurence, after starting 20-0, hit a cold streak. MC and BR swept them in the regular season (although they did recently beat BR in the Stevie Way Tourney). BR has a tremendous lineup. Pitching is good, not great though. They can definitely win 4A but as stated above, there is a lot of outstanding pitching awaiting this lineup in the playoffs. MC has had a decent year. 4 very strong hitters followed by 5 average to below average hitters. 2 above average pitchers in Curtain and Hachem then, besides Boyd, a below average bullpen. Losing the other Hachem brother to shoulder injury this year hurt them on the mound. Decent year, some notable wins, should win the Regional then lose in the sectional....but you never know....

I don’t know who is in 3A but Laurence, after starting 20-0, hit a cold streak. MC and BR swept them in the regular season (although they did recently beat BR in the Stevie Way Tourney).
Viator is in 3A and currently #1 in the state (regardless of class) per PBR's rankings. They're 28-1 on the season.

JCA in 2A is an absolute joke.
Yea, I agree it's not the best look for the talent they have vs the talent they should be playing against (overall). There are some solid 2A schools that could give them a test. But they are already rolling to the sectional final now. I hope they get bumped up again.

Yea, I agree it's not the best look for the talent they have vs the talent they should be playing against (overall). There are some solid 2A schools that could give them a test. But they are already rolling to the sectional final now. I hope they get bumped up again.
I was at their sectional semifinal game yesterday. They took a 1-0 lead into the bottom of the sixth against Chicago University (a school I had never heard of) and scored two runs to win 3-0. They have a nice team, although I don't think they have anywhere near the talent they've had in some recent years. Last year, they didn't even make it out of the regional in 2A. All that being said, I'd like to see them back in 3A next year in the new classification cycle.

Reactions: Crispy Linnetta
how’d Jca look vs Riverside Brookfield

Reactions: USD24
A lot of mismatches in the Chicago area sectionals in 3A. This round should get more competitive.

Willowbrook lost to Schaumburg? That's....a pretty big upset yes?

Saw Stagg was leading HF 8-1 in the 4th inning but lost. That's tough. Would have been a major shakeup.

Really looking forward to LWE/Provi for regional.

My pick to click for state in 4A (not named Rice) is...Mundelein. Very complete team.

Looks like Marist ducked down to 3A this year. Never a fan of ducking down especially with a school with the enrollment size and success that Marist has had.

Willowbrook lost to Schaumburg? That's....a pretty big upset yes?

Saw Stagg was leading HF 8-1 in the 4th inning but lost. That's tough. Would have been a major shakeup.

Really looking forward to LWE/Provi for regional.

My pick to click for state in 4A (not named Rice) is...Mundelein. Very complete team.
Yes, Schaumburg with a huge upset. Almost that entire sectional had the lower seed winning. As far as making sense of Willowbrooks loss? No idea. That team must have just played a perfect game

Defending 3A champ Springfield lost 6-1 to Mahomet in the Champaign sectional.

Mahomet plays Chatham Saturday for the sectional title. Chatham will probably start Junior Parker Detmers, who has committed to Louisville and has an older brother with the Anaheim Angels. Mahomet has only given up one run so far in the playoffs.

MC beat RB 11-6. RB did not pitch Owen Murphy. Figured if he pitched last Saturday he should have been ready but not sure of the HS pitch count limit per week. MC threw their #3 pitcher so their two main guys are free for the BR game, but offensively MC has to show up. With BRs offense you need to score 6 runs because they will score against you and can do so very easily. Their lineup is strong 1-9.

Oswego continues to play its best baseball of this season, once again behind the arm of Joey Cecola. Crafty lefty that knows how to pitch. Plainfield North tomorrow morning at Romeoville.

MC beat RB 11-6. RB did not pitch Owen Murphy. Figured if he pitched last Saturday he should have been ready but not sure of the HS pitch count limit per week. MC threw their #3 pitcher so their two main guys are free for the BR game, but offensively MC has to show up. With BRs offense you need to score 6 runs because they will score against you and can do so very easily. Their lineup is strong 1-9.
He should have been good to go. Probably hoping they could get by MC and save him for the BR game

He should have been good to go. Probably hoping they could get by MC and save him for the BR game
he had 15ks in a complete game shutout on saturday, i believe he threw around 100 pitches … 4 days rest vs MtC or 6 days rest vs BR was probably the coaches mindset on why he chose to go with senior Jack Nieks whom had a good season too. RB committed 9 errors, they beat themselves on Thursday I believe only 3 of the 11 runs were earned

he had 15ks in a complete game shutout on saturday, i believe he threw around 100 pitches … 4 days rest vs MtC or 6 days rest vs BR was probably the coaches mindset on why he chose to go with senior Jack Nieks whom had a good season too. RB committed 9 errors, they beat themselves on Thursday I believe only 3 of the 11 runs were earned
3 earned? They had 17 hits. They had 6 doubles and a 2 run HR. There may have been a couple errors not credited, but 9 is a huge exaggeration, especially for a team with RBs talent, you don’t make 9 errors in a game. MC had a great day at the plate, give credit where it’s due. Props to RB though for playing up in 4A, smallest school in that class, they could have gone 2A and went far if they wanted too. Marist ducked to 3A with 1800 students.

Reactions: Blue Ruin and RPG24
I believe 100 pitches is a mandatory 5 days rest.

3 earned? They had 17 hits. They had 6 doubles and a 2 run HR. There may have been a couple errors not credited, but 9 is a huge exaggeration, especially for a team with RBs talent, you don’t make 9 errors in a game. MC had a great day at the plate, give credit where it’s due. Props to RB though for playing up in 4A, smallest school in that class, they could have gone 2A and went far if they wanted too. Marist ducked to 3A with 1800 students.
RB did not “play up” and Marist didn’t “duck” to 3a. RB could not have played in 2a if they wanted too. Both schools are in the class assigned by the IHSA based on enrollment. Kudos to MC, PC, Rita and Rice for all petitioning up to 4a.

Last edited:
RB did not “play up” and Marist didn’t “duck” to 3a. RB could not have played in 2a if they wanted too. Both schools are in the class assigned by the IHSA based on enrollment. Kudos to MC, PC, Rita and Rice for all petitioning up to 4a.
Marist is 3A with their enrollment? They are a solid 8A in Football and always played 4A in past years in baseball, I just assumed. And RB is 4A in Football right? Well that’s what I get for assuming I guess!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT