ADVERTISEMENT

Every year there are board favorites to win state...this season...

sass2.png

JC,

I don't think you are suggesting that HS may be the favorite in 6A are you? With SHG, PC, Cary as likely 6A teams, I would think the favorite comes from that group. I don't recall anyone suggesting HS is favorite in 6A. If may be getting a bit out over the ski's.

What I have said s that HS should be able to compete and make a run at it. With road games at Romeoville, GBW and DGS to start the season,

Nope, and happy to clarify. Every year on the board, there are between 1-3 teams that get a lot of preseason attention. usually because the stock is high - and its time to buy. Some years ago it was LA and Brook, then there was a CG and LZ run, Naz last season...the funnest example was probably a class of Bartlet seniors that proclaimed during their frosh campaign they would route everyone in 4 years...The worst situation was probably a WWS team a few years back alleged to be their best ever....things um, did not end so well that year them...

This year, the teams to see whether the live up to the hype are GW and HS, for slightly different reasons. GW is established and frankly, anything less than a 7a title appearance or an 8a semi wil mean they did not meet the hype....not that they were not good - important distinction.

For HS, i think, based on hype, they are going that have to hit a semi to match the preseason intensity. Again, a quarterfinalist is a damn good team, but quarterfinalists don't get the hype HS has gotten.

JC
Spot on. For HS to take another step forward at least a semi appearance is needed. Otherwise, I would agree we did not live up to hype as you put it.

Lol, I think a playoff win is more than adequate. The only ones hyping up HS are me & HornetNation and we've both said Conference Championship or bust. Semi Finals would be huge for the school but it's not a must for them to "take a step forward". Make the playoffs for the 3rd time in 5 years after not making it for 6-8 years in a row, win a playoff game and go from there. The playoffs all depends on match ups.

JC
Spot on. For HS to take another step forward at least a semi appearance is needed. Otherwise, I would agree we did not live up to hype as you put it.

Nation of Hornets, I disagree. Conference or bust. Way too early to be talking about playoffs and how far a team should go. It's high school football, none of us really have any idea. I'm only talking regular season hype. Once the playoffs start, then we'll talk playoff hype. I think you guys are going a little too far with saying if they don't make the semi's it's not a step forward, lol, that's crazy talk.

Wild,
How so. They did not win conf last year and made quarters. With making it to elite 8 with last year's junior class lead by no 1 recruit in state, I expect this team to take a step forward. This years team should be a bit better than last year (a year older/wiser, balncaed offense, still a good defense). My goals includes winning conf and making a deep run in playoffs. This team has the talent and athletes to do this.

Why not expect them to play up to potential?

Lol, I think a playoff win is more than adequate. The only ones hyping up HS are me & HornetNation and we've both said Conference Championship or bust. Semi Finals would be huge for the school but it's not a must for them to "take a step forward". Make the playoffs for the 3rd time in 5 years after not making it for 6-8 years in a row, win a playoff game and go from there. The playoffs all depends on match ups.

But that is the point. I dont care what the person who does not care thinks...

But that is the point. I dont care what the person who does not care thinks...

And again, my analysis has little to do with whether that , means the team is good...it means did they meet the hype made in the kingdom of edgy, like naz last season.

Wild,
How so. They did not win conf last year and made quarters. With making it to elite 8 with last year's junior class lead by no 1 recruit in state, I expect this team to take a step forward. This years team should be a bit better than last year (a year older/wiser, balncaed offense, still a good defense). My goals includes winning conf and making a deep run in playoffs. This team has the talent and athletes to do this.

Why not expect them to play up to potential?

I can't disagree with what you're saying BUT I think you're jumping the gun quite a bit here. That's all I'm saying. Their first 3 games are NOT easy, at all. All 3 games are on the road. They play the #1 team in the state followed by DGS who you know will be bringing the hammer to them. That will be 3 straight road games against 3 8A schools (Romeo 7 or 8?).

Mind you, they did lose a lot of starters on defense. And their QB went on to play at Notre Dame, that's tough to replace. I'm not saying they won't be good, they will be, but to say it's semi's or bust 2-3 weeks before the season has started is a little much. You can't really tell until the regular season.

I just have a different POV, I can't say a team has to go a certain distance in the playoffs to be successful or take a step a forward. It's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too early to be saying any of that. I think we're all just getting a little too excited for some football.

We'll agree to disagree. Not arguing with you.

I can't disagree with what you're saying BUT I think you're jumping the gun quite a bit here. That's all I'm saying. Their first 3 games are NOT easy, at all. All 3 games are on the road. They play the #1 team in the state followed by DGS who you know will be bringing the hammer to them. That will be 3 straight road games against 3 8A schools (Romeo 7 or 8?).

Mind you, they did lose a lot of starters on defense. And their QB went on to play at Notre Dame, that's tough to replace. I'm not saying they won't be good, they will be, but to say it's semi's or bust 2-3 weeks before the season has started is a little much. You can't really tell until the regular season.

I just have a different POV, I can't say a team has to go a certain distance in the playoffs to be successful or take a step a forward. It's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too early to be saying any of that. I think we're all just getting a little too excited for some football.

We'll agree to disagree. Not arguing with you.

The QB walked on at Notre Dame*

Reactions: Wild_Mustang
The QB walked on at Notre Dame*

HS QB not the athlete of last year, but will put up big numbers passing. HS offense will have better balance this year.

Defense will be fine as all starters this year played significantly last year, except olbs. 2 areas of concern depth and olbs. QB not one of my areas of concern.

Wild,
Do you believe this year's team will be better than last year's? I know it is a speculative question, but please speculate.

Hmmm, it'll be tough to be better than last years team. That defense was a butt kicker and the offense pounded you down. Robby Regan was special. I think they are loaded on offense, they have RB's & WR's coming out of a**. I'm excited for the season, it's going to be pretty awesome.

Here's what I think...They will be better in the regular season. I think they'll finish 7-2 again but they'll be more impressive. I think Glenbard West beats them by 20-30 and I think Hinsdale Central beats them 27-20. They just have to stay healthy. Those first 3 games are butt kickers. That's where we will see what they are made of.

It's so hard to say how far I think they will go in the playoffs. It honestly depends on who they match up against. Last year in the playoffs they rolled Crystal Lake South, beat Dekalb in one of the best high school football games I can remember, then they lost to St. Francis. Are they doing the seeding 1-32 or is it how they've done it in the past? I mean, if they go 7-2 and Naz goes 6-3 those two could play in the 1st round. They are definitely a quarterfinal team again, no doubt about it. I'd be happy with a playoff win.

6A is two 1-16's. From what I'm seeing Naz is 5A but Montini is definitely 6A with SF

St. Francis is likely bottom of 6a (178th biggest team)but with Montini, SHG and ESL petitioning up there is a chance. 179th smallest has been the highest cutoff. 199th the lowest for 6a/5a since 09.

Reactions: Wild_Mustang
Bump - for the success factor thread

I want to know more about the Naz coach and the bet!

Just call me “lilboner’s” big brother “bigBoner” the pot stirrer.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT