ADVERTISEMENT

ESL- The best in the state

East Side is a storied program, Bob Shannon was recognized as USA Today Coach of the Year, the only team to win the mythical National Championship in IL. The only Coach to be invited to the White House by Clinton, he’s received awards from Janet Reno and George Bush... should I go on! He’s quoted as once saying he didn’t have money for equipment, but yet during the same season won the State.
I’d say at one point East Side was America’s Team... they were certainly recognized on the national level. I saw a recent post that stated Sunkett is hated... maybe the ref issue plays into his mantra... ‘ us against the world, they hate us!’, just a source of motivation....

Only National Champs?
St. Rita 63
Leo 41
Austin 37
Oak Park 10-11-12-13-20
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_School_Football_National_Championship

Only National Champs?
St. Rita 63
Leo 41
Austin 37
Oak Park 10-11-12-13-20
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_School_Football_National_Championship

The fact that some folks have come onto a thread having nothing to do with the program that they follow to either say something negative about the program of subject or mention an off-topic program speaks volumes. When you’re at the top, I guess everyone is gunning for you.

Is this happening on any threads pertaining to the other schools of which their faithful followers are trying to demand recognition on this ESL related thread???

The fact that some folks have come onto a thread having nothing to do with the program that they follow to either say something negative about the program of subject or mention an off-topic program speaks volumes. When you’re at the top, I guess everyone is gunning for you.

Is this happening on any threads pertaining to the other schools that their faithful followers are trying to demand recognition on here??

Someone did say ONLY National Championship in the state, right?

Reactions: TigerforFlyers
Anyone trying to convince anyone who follows the flyers that there isn’t a blatant disparity in the way calls are made between ESL and their opponents is wasting their time. We know what we see. We see our kid’s holding and the officials throw the flag without hesitation. We see their kids hold and it mysteriously goes unnoticed by the same official.

This weekend, we were ahead by 28, had CG in a 4th and long situation, but an unsportsmanlike conduct was called against us to extend their drive. Later, on that very same drive, after our DB got up from batting down a pass in the end zone, their receiver got up and smutted him in the back of the head with the official right next to them. The official pulled the kid to the side and had a conversation with him, but no unsportsmanlike conduct was called.

Someone did say ONLY National Championship in the state, right?

I wasn’t addressing his correction necessarily. I just replied to it because it was the most recent add to the thread.

I’m more so speaking to the earlier posts intended to discredit ESL particularly.

Anyone trying to convince anyone who follows the flyers that there isn’t a blatant disparity in the way calls are made between ESL and their opponents is wasting their time. We know what we see. We see our kid’s holding and the officials throw the flag without hesitation. We see their kids hold and it mysteriously goes unnoticed by the same official.

This weekend, we were ahead by 28, had CG in a 4th and long situation, but an unsportsmanlike conduct was called against us to extend their drive. Later, on that very same drive, after our DB got up from batting down a pass in the end zone, their receiver got up and smutted him in the back of the head with the official right next to them. The official pulled the kid to the side and had a conversation with him, but no unsportsmanlike conduct was called.
exactly. those are the types of discrepancies people on message boards dont see, and the types of plays/situations where esl fans can only scratch their head an wonder why one kid (glenwood) gets a pep talk, and another kid (ESL) gets a flag. The chatham glenwood kid literally pushed the esl db in the back of the head not even 12in in front of the official

Did you purposely leave out PR? Seems to me that the 6A title game is still to be played. I really like both teams, but they have different styles of play. All gas, no brakes for East Side and Pound the rock from PR. Very interesting matchups IMO.

PR lost their best player for the season a few weeks ago, Superman’s younger brother. That loss will be noticed in this game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alexander32
I wasn’t addressing his correction necessarily. I just replied to it because it was the most recent add to the thread.

I’m more so speaking to the earlier posts intended to discredit ESL particularly.

You should edit out the quote, it looks like you are addressing that particular post.

I'm not seeing much of anyone discrediting ESL on here. You guys are really digging deep for this...

exactly. those are the types of discrepancies people on message boards dont see, and the types of plays/situations where esl fans can only scratch their head an wonder why one kid (glenwood) gets a pep talk, and another kid (ESL) gets a flag. The chatham glenwood kid literally pushed the esl db in the back of the head not even 12in in front of the official
I’ve asked before and haven’t received an answer, what is your theory as to why this is allegedly happening?

I’ve asked before and haven’t received an answer, what is your theory as to why this is allegedly happening?
well that isnt allegedly happening. that is a specific, recent example of the exact sequence of plays.

i answered it partly a few posts above. wrt to penalties like holding, i dont think many refs are used to officiating teams with the athletes that esl has. and the game moves too fast for them, much faster than they are accustomed too.

wrt to the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, well, the most generous answer i can give is that they are just poor officials. when a player pushes an opposing player in the back of the head a foot away from you, and you call nothing? i cant say i have any other explanation for that without getting in to some personal characterizations of that official

i answered it partly a few posts above. wrt to penalties like holding, i dont think many refs are used to officiating teams with the athletes that esl has. and the game moves too fast for them, much faster than they are accustomed too.

wrt to the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, well, the most generous answer i can give is that they are just poor officials. when a player pushes an opposing player in the back of the head a foot away from you, and you call nothing? i cant say i have any other explanation for that without getting in to some personal characterizations of that official
Thank you... I will wholeheartedly agree with you that many of the officials are just not able to keep up with the pace of play. I’ve said it before, you have to be able to move to properly officiate, and many of these guys are just not physically able to keep up. It’s certainly not an easy job, one that must be dramatically more difficult having difficulty moving.

Reactions: Gene K.
That "national championship" stuff is just baloney. Sportswriters from across the country vote on teams they've never seen (especially years ago). The idea is to sell magazines. I wouldn't be surprised if other schools across the nation weren't also called "national champions" those years.

Taylor Bell, the highly respected prep sportswirtier for the Sun-Times stated emphatically that the 1950 Mt Carmel team was the best he'd ever seen ... and he was around for many years before and after that.

Sorry, boys, but no team in the state compares to Mt Carmel. I know that JCA has more state titles, but at what level? I know that ESL has won about 20 more games than us, but we've played in the consistently toughest league in the state for about 100 years. Try matching our schedule.

Some years back. we lost a playoff game to Hinsdale South, and the Tribune article the next day began with an HS dad telling his son, "You just beat the New York Yankees of Illinois high school football" He was right.

Boys, I'm not trying to boast, but I can't let anyone get away with trying to confiscate our glory.

Good luck to all this weekend, including Nazareth.

Last edited:
Thanks
I don’t think it’s questionable when every game with different officiating crews is throwing tons of flags.
I think the fans need to understand that this falls on the coaches by not preparing their players to play mistake free football. IMO

Okay let me have it. :)

Okay, just for you:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qhNelDwF2b

5:15 mark, show me where this has happened to LWE?? If you can, then I will say that you are valid in your rationale, if not, then I would suggest that you only speak on things that you know about.

This is what ESL coaches should be being credited for. But instead, obvious errors like this, to anyone who knows football, are what keeps games closer by score than they actually are on the field week in and week out.

Batavia was down 19 to nothing at that point.

Last edited:
Okay, just for you:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qhNelDwF2b

5:15 mark, show me where this has happened to LWE?? If you can, then I will say that you are valid in your rational, if not, then I would suggest that you only speak on things that you know about.

This is what ESL coaches should be being credited for. But instead, obvious errors like this, to anyone who knows football, are what keeps games closer by score than they actually are on the field week in and week out.

Batavia was down 21 to nothing at that point.

This has nothing to do with people on the board discrediting ESL. I already agreed with you earlier that this call sucked. You may need to put the keyboard down for a bit.

This has nothing to do with people on the board discrediting ESL. I already agreed with you earlier that this call sucked. You may need to put the keyboard down for a bit.

This wasn’t addressed to you. I’ve found you to be reasonable as I have some others to be on here also. This was directed to the few on here who I find to be illogical. Some of the LWE and Naz folks.

Last edited:
Naz lost to Cardinal Ritter convincingly....., Remember? Cardinal Ritter is a neighboring program to ours that was like a lil brother to us.

Get Real, Go fly away... Naz gets no respect here.

Lmao lets relax pal you got 45+ put up on you by Neuqua.. Obviously you guys have a good team, but to say "No respect" is a little much.

Thanks
I don’t think it’s questionable when every game with different officiating crews is throwing tons of flags.
I think the fans need to understand that this falls on the coaches by not preparing their players to play mistake free football. IMO

Okay let me have it. :)

A game in which we lost due to poor officiating:

0:32 mark. Touchdown called back because of the block that Jeff Thomas made.

The point that I am making is that often times the scores and results do not reflect the actual game being played on the field.

Other teams walk away feeling good because of BS like this.

I'm not saying that our boys don't make mistakes, as all players do, its just that the officials feel very comfortable at making these types of unfavorable and critical calls in regard to ESL, year after year.

As a faithful supporter (missing no games), I grow tired of chalking it up to, well our boys will just play through it and rise above the sanctioned BS.

I reiterate, "No respect" in terms of suggesting that they would beat ESL this year.
How dare someone suggest that ESL could lose. It’s true that ESL needed to stop a 2 pt conversion after giving up 48 to a powerhouse Neuqua team that made it all the way to the second round in 8a.

I understand it may be out of your control but playing in 6a will not allow ESL to answer those questions. You’re not gonna make everyone a believer here, stop insinuating that everyone that doesn’t see things the way you do must know nothing.

How dare someone suggest that ESL could lose. It’s true that ESL needed to stop a 2 pt conversion after giving up 48 to a powerhouse Neuqua team that made it all the way to the second round in 8a.

I understand it may be out of your control but playing in 6a will not allow ESL to answer those questions. You’re not gonna make everyone a believer here, stop insinuating that everyone that doesn’t see things the way you do must know nothing.

Yeah Neuqua's electric offense puts up 48, but Naz's two 5 star's and another two 6'6' plus receivers on the outside wouldn't put up any points.

No one in their right mind what say that a high school team is not capable of losing to another team.

The key difference here is "could" vs "did" lose. Naz lost, just accept that you aren't in the conversation this year. Also, you keep using our worse defensive game of the season to make your point. A week in which no practices were held because of a heat warning here and after coming off of a shut-out week against a very good Trinity team.

Trinity was the victor of the game last year against Cardinal Ritter which has resulted in your Naz’s record appearing as undefeated, so you Trinity to thank for that.

Last edited:
Yeah Neuqua's electric offense puts up 48, but Naz's two 5 star's and another two 6'6' plus receivers on the outside wouldn't put up any points.

No one is saying that Naz wouldn't put up any points. They just wouldn't put up enough points to win the game!

ESL has averaged 52 points a game. A Naz defense would not change those results.

Neuqua Valley was a good football team!

By the way, I really don't give a .... what you believe! I'm just stating facts.

No one is saying that Naz wouldn't put up any points. They just wouldn't put up enough points to win the game!

ESL has averaged 52 points a game. A Naz defense would not change those results.

Neuqua Valley was a good football team!

the ignorance is just astounding. Great season, I bet you guys would score 60 on Mater Dei too. Hell maybe even 28 on Bama.

the ignorance is just astounding. Great season, I bet you guys would score 60 on Mater Dei too. Hell maybe even 28 on Bama.
I agree, "the ignorance"

You just negated any amount of rationale that you may have had up to this point. I guess that is your way of conceding. Akin to, "I'm gonna call my big brother because I know you will kick my ..."

We're talking ILLINOIS high school football. Stay on subject or just go away........

I agree, the call was coocoo! Of course that’s the only conclusion that I can arrive at.

Let me see, “I don’t have a valid rebuttal, so let me deflect with funny GIFs in order to discount supporting evidence along with make a mockery of the one posting”

LOL. Nice try!

I can go all day, this is child’s play.

Last edited:
@TigerforFlyers

Agreed let’s keep it to Illinois football and not conflate this years Cardinal Ritter’s team that lost to last years Trinity team that ESL shutout this year. That’s Missouri football.

I agree, "the ignorance"

You just negated any amount of rationale that you may have had up to this point. I guess that is your way of conceding. Akin to, "I'm gonna call my big brother because I know you will kick my ..."

We're talking ILLINOIS high school football. Stay on subject or just go away........

Reactions: Coachherbk
I will defer to the honorable William Foster in his post above. Regarding the Batavia video, I have no defense, it was a pick by ESL. That said, we used to Joke when my boys played for the Patriots and Naz that we had to score 2-3 TDs for each one that actually got put on the board, but it did pad the yardage stats!

Not MY truth, but, THE truth as evidenced in part by two simple videos that I shared. Offer your thoughts on those please.

Reactions: TigerforFlyers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT