ADVERTISEMENT

ESL- The best in the state

1. They havent lost this year.
2. Saying you believe esl is the best team in the state isnt dismissing anyone. Plenty of mc, Lwe, etc fans probably feel the same way
1. Ok

2. They are coming off as dismissive. Any other fanbase that does it also comes off as pompous.

Reactions: Bowie50
I agree with ESL fans that they will win the title and have a claim to the best team in the state. But since we have no way of proving it, it's a lost discussion. To state that same discussion is not up for discussion because one team is "the best" is stupid. Makes you seem pompous. Other fan bases have done the same, it's not uniquely ESL, but it's currently ESL fans and those on that side of the arguement.

Upset with????? Now I know you’re just a lost dog trying to find a bone.
Well why would you bring up a poll I didn't have a hand in? Clearly it has stuck with you throughout the season. Leads me to believe it rankled you some. I didn't even know it existed, it seems you have a printed copy somewhere.

I agree with ESL fans that they will win the title and have a claim to the best team in the state. But since we have no way of proving it, it's a lost discussion. To state that same discussion is not up for discussion because one team is "the best" is stupid. Makes you seem pompous. Other fan bases have done the same, it's not uniquely ESL, but it's currently ESL fans and those on that side of the arguement.

I can agree with that.
Well why would you bring up a poll I didn't have a hand in? Clearly it has stuck with you throughout the season. Leads me to believe it rankled you some. I didn't even know it existed, it seems you have a printed copy somewhere.

My reason for referencing the poll was to inform you that ESL fans did not originate the meaningless discussion, someone else did. ESL fans amongst others just responded to it and have fed off of it since. ESL fans are just defending our team’s honor, so to speak.

I can agree with that.

My reason for referencing the poll was to inform you that ESL fans did not originate the meaningless discussion, someone else did. ESL fans amongst others just responded to it and have fed off of it since. ESL fans are just defending our team’s honor, so to speak.
You don't have to defend their honor. Let those others seem like idiots.

The LWE fans also have gotten their share of crap from the board [and called pompous].

Anyway, not trying to start a shitstorm. We both think ESL is really freaking good.

1. Ok

2. They are coming off as dismissive. Any other fanbase that does it also comes off as pompous.
No it's not. It's nothing wrong with thinking you are the best, esp since none of these dream matchups will play out on the field. I wouldn't expect any of these other teams playing for state to say anything other than they believe they are the best

No it's not. It's nothing wrong with thinking you are the best, esp since none of these dream matchups will play out on the field. I wouldn't expect any of these other teams playing for state to say anything other than they believe they are the best
Operative word

Here are the best teams in the state. Rank them however you want - they are all deserving:

MC, NAZ, ESL, Warren and LWE.

We shall never know.

Reactions: epicbret
All.... I went to this game yesterday (thank you Flyer tailgaters lol) and from the start it was obvious that ESL would win this game. The best team Chatham has ever had including the 98 championship squad could not stop them. Credit to the Titans though the Flyers had to work for most of their scores. Ratsy

Here are the best teams in the state. Rank them however you want - they are all deserving:

MC, NAZ, ESL, Warren and LWE.

We shall never know.
Did you purposely leave out PR? Seems to me that the 6A title game is still to be played. I really like both teams, but they have different styles of play. All gas, no brakes for East Side and Pound the rock from PR. Very interesting matchups IMO.

I agree with PR if they beat ESL they move up to top 5
Now top
Warren
Naz
LWE
MC
ESL

You’re still here???

Math and logic aren’t your strong suit, I see. Look, let me help you. Every team in your list is undefeated except for Naz. Therefore, they aren’t in the discussion, especially not on this thread!!

Also, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that your list is in no specific order.

Last edited:
Reactions: McEvergreen
Every team in your list is undefeated except for Naz.

Look, they aren’t in the discussion, especially not on this thread!!

I’m also assuming that your list is in no specific order.
You’re still here???

Math and logic aren’t your strong suit, I see. Look, let me help you. Every team in your list is undefeated except for Naz. Therefore, they aren’t in the discussion, especially not on this thread!!

Also, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that your list is in no specific order.
I think naz puts 50 on ESL with that defense!
They gave up 48 points to nequa,repeat 48!
They up 28 to Glenwood!Stop with this best team in state.They might have best offense.

They up 28 to Glenwood!Stop with this best team in state.They might have best offense.

Yeah, and what did Batavia put up on us?

I tried to help you not sound like an idiot, but you are beyond my reach........
I’ll leave you to your twisted logic.

Last edited:
Reactions: McEvergreen
All.... I went to this game yesterday (thank you Flyer tailgaters lol) and from the start it was obvious that ESL would win this game. The best team Chatham has ever had including the 98 championship squad could not stop them. Credit to the Titans though the Flyers had to work for most of their scores. Ratsy
I watched the game today (prerecorded). It is true, East St. Louis was in control the entire game. Penalties, by my count, were 11 against East St. Louis and 6 against Chatham Glenwood. I recall only one turnover, a fumble lost by Glenwood. It was 28 - 0 at the half and never closer than 34 - 14 after that. The Titans only forced the Flyers to punt twice and the game ended with East St. Louis at the Glenwood one-yard line.

No championship game is a lock, but Prairie Ridge is going to have its hands full. The Flyers demonstrated they can sustain long drives. It doesn't have to be 80-yard touchdown runs, though they are certainly capable of that as well. Furthermore, I don't think Prairie Ridge matches up well against East St. Louis. The Flyers' only defensive vulnerability is that their defensive backs are sometimes out of position on coverage, but Prairie Ridge is not a passing team (though somewhat better this year). The main thing, though, is that the East St. Louis defensive front is very disruptive, and penetration can cause havoc with an option team. I just don't see Prairie Ridge sustaining enough drives to score often and/or keep the Flyers' offense off the field. Additionally, even when the East St. Louis defensive backs are caught out of position, they have enough speed to keep it to a 30-yard gain rather than a long touchdown.

To me it is always fun to watch a triple-option offense because it is not frequently seen at the higher levels of football. I look forward to watching the Wolves on Saturday, I just don't think they will have much more success than the Titans.

Reactions: TigerforFlyers
Well vs a common opponent, both beat batavia by 14.

Esl won by 14 on the road. Naz won by 14 at home. So that's at least one data point that doesnt support naz being clearly better than esl

I'll also repeat that sunkett spent the entire second half playing his def scheme for next week ( after they had shut out CG in the first with less than 50 total yards)

Well vs a common opponent, both beat batavia by 14.

Esl won by 14 on the road. Naz won by 14 at home. So that's at least one data point that doesnt support naz being clearly better than esl

I'll also repeat that sunkett spent the entire second half playing his def scheme for next week ( after they had shut out CG in the first with less than 50 total yards)

Another data point is that ESL had 3 touchdowns called back in the 1st half and were robbed of a clear interception that allowed for Batavia to get on the board.

Some folks on here insist that making those statements is whining when in reality it’s just stating facts.

Last edited:
Reactions: crusader_of_90
Yeah, and what did Batavia put up on us?

I tried to help you not sound like an idiot, but you are beyond my reach........
I’ll leave you to your twisted logic.
Batavia lost to ESL by 14. They lost to Naz by... 14. You’re not helping your case.

Naz gets to have their cake and eat it to. They get the benefits of being humbled while still getting a win. Not bad. You can say they lost all you want but it turns out you can’t in fact cheat so Naz is 13-0. I’m not saying Naz is better than ESL because I only care if they’re better than Mt Carmel but I do have to say the ESL people are exhausting.

I imagine it’s how the Naz folk made people feel in 2014. I now get it.

Another data point is that ESL has 3 touchdowns called back in the 1st half and a were robbed of a clear interception that allowed for Batavia to get on the board.

Some folks on here insist that making those statements is whining when in reality it’s just stating facts.

Here we go again.

Another data point is that ESL has 3 touchdowns called back in the 1st half and a were robbed of a clear interception that allowed for Batavia to get on the board.

Tell your team to stop breaking the rules and the guys in stripes will stop throwing those yellow things.

Reactions: Wolffan64
Batavia lost to ESL by 14. They lost to Naz by... 14. You’re not helping your case.

Naz gets to have their cake and eat it to. They get the benefits of being humbled while still getting a win. Not bad. You can say they lost all you want but it turns out you can’t in fact cheat so Naz is 13-0. I’m not saying Naz is better than ESL because I only care if they’re better than Mt Carmel but I do have to say the ESL people are exhausting.

Oh hush.

God forbid anyone take a positions counter to the Naz narrative.

I am offended?

You all are coming off as arrogant this week, blaming refs for losses this year and in the past, and now dismissing teams you don't play. I'm not offended. I am just pointing of the tenure of your posts.

You're calling someone else arrogant? LMAO.

And LWE fans last year...

Oh hush.

God forbid anyone take a positions counter to the Naz narrative.
I won’t hush, I will say whatever the f I want. Don’t like it? Create your own board and don’t allow Naz people on it like Ratsy and the SHG people.

Tell your team to stop breaking the rules and the guys in stripes will stop throwing those yellow things.

Thanks
I don’t think it’s questionable when every game with different officiating crews is throwing tons of flags.
I think the fans need to understand that this falls on the coaches by not preparing their players to play mistake free football. IMO

Okay let me have it. :)

I think it’s fair to say we all love high school football and are passionate about our respective programs
Thanks
I don’t think it’s questionable when every game with different officiating crews is throwing tons of flags.
I think the fans need to understand that this falls on the coaches by not preparing their players to play mistake free football. IMO

You are correct. We all have to remember these are kids. 14-18 year old children. There will always be some mistake. It’s situational.

Thanks

That's a fair point, but consider this game vs CG, which is really a microcosm of the issue. Esl has 5 off lineman that were all bigger and better than any DL glenwood had, and got called for 6 holding calls.

Esl def played an ultra aggressive game, blitzed 3 or 4 every play vs an undersized line, and CG didnt get called for a single holding penalty.

That's a fair point, but consider this game vs CG, which is really a microcosm of the issue. Esl has 5 off lineman that were all bigger and better than any DL glenwood had, and got called for 6 holding calls.

Esl def played an ultra aggressive game, blitzed 3 or 4 every play vs an undersized line, and CG didnt get called for a single holding penalty.

Hard to answer that unless I watched every play. Point is it’s every game not just a couple. I don’t believe every Ref is out to get ESL. Maybe the bigger linemen are easier to see? Who knows but it’s no accident it’s every game. Good news is ESL is good enough to overcome the penalties. If they get into a close game they better tighten up the mistakes.

Reactions: Gene K. and Tez711
Hard to answer that unless I watched every play. Point is it’s every game not just a couple. I don’t believe every Ref is out to get ESL. Maybe the bigger linemen are easier to see? Who knows but it’s no accident it’s every game. Good news is ESL is good enough to overcome the penalties. If they get into a close game they better tighten up the mistakes.
East Side is a storied program, Bob Shannon was recognized as USA Today Coach of the Year, the only team to win the mythical National Championship in IL. The only Coach to be invited to the White House by Clinton, he’s received awards from Janet Reno and George Bush... should I go on! He’s quoted as once saying he didn’t have money for equipment, but yet during the same season won the State.
I’d say at one point East Side was America’s Team... they were certainly recognized on the national level. I saw a recent post that stated Sunkett is hated... maybe the ref issue plays into his mantra... ‘ us against the world, they hate us!’, just a source of motivation....

My theory is a little less sinister. but similar to a really good, uptempo bball team, these refs arent used to seeing high school kids that big and that athletic. They arent used to officiating a game with that level of athleticism

East Side is a storied program, Bob Shannon was recognized as USA Today Coach of the Year, the only team to win the mythical National Championship in IL. The only Coach to be invited to the White House by Clinton, he’s received awards from Janet Reno and George Bush... should I go on! He’s quoted as once saying he didn’t have money for equipment, but yet during the same season won the State.
I’d say at one point East Side was America’s Team... they were certainly recognized on the national level. I saw a recent post that stated Sunkett is hated... maybe the ref issue plays into his mantra... ‘ us against the world, they hate us!’, just a source of motivation....
What Bob Shannon accomplished at ESL is nothing short of remarkable. Nobody has achieved so much with so little. The man is an American high school football coaching legend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT