ADVERTISEMENT

Entrance Exam Today

Oops! I thought it was this past Saturday.

Question: Phillips is breaking the unwritten rule of recruiting off of other high school rosters. Is save to assume that once a kid test at a school the other schools stop contact with those kids?

Hopefully everyone stays away from the kids who tested at another school. But you will find a few kids who change their minds after the test.

The Phillips thing is horse sh*t.

SJF, BR's main feeder school, has at least 50 plus students at BR right now. Out of all those students, maybe 9 or 10 play sports. The majority go there because of its location, you can get there by car in about 90 seconds.

Saying kids go to a school for location is more foolish as saying they go for sports. Both play a part in the process but if you choose Rice becasue of location you are failing your student.

Rice did better than usual in their general area this year but was killed by Marist in the suburbs.

Getting to Kronk's point, there are some that tested at Marist to be in the hopper that will elect to go to Rice just as any kid can still choose to go elsewhere.

Rice dropping to 7A in football would be a good thing from a football standpoint that is for certain. Hell the frosh class if it is that good could not be multiplied by the time they are at varsity and be in 6A.

Saying kids go to a school for location is more foolish as saying they go for sports. Both play a part in the process but if you choose Rice becasue of location you are failing your student.

Rice did better than usual in their general area this year but was killed by Marist in the suburbs.

Getting to Kronk's point, there are some that tested at Marist to be in the hopper that will elect to go to Rice just as any kid can still choose to go elsewhere.

Rice dropping to 7A in football would be a good thing from a football standpoint that is for certain. Hell the frosh class if it is that good could not be multiplied by the time they are at varsity and be in 6A.

Marist, STL, ans DSL are co-ed now. There are probably several kids at each of these schools that may have tested at BR several years ago when the other schools were all male. But that does not account for all of the drop BR experienced this year.

Without the multiplier (1464) BR is in the bottom third of 6A now. I think as more schools start to drop football it may be time to go back to 6 classes in football in a few years.

I agree on the location matter, but the fact is its true, especially with kids that don't play sports. "Why send them to 64th and Dante when I can send them down the street". I've heard numerous times. I've been to 2 BR house visits and its O'Connell main lure...it's their recruiting saying "We're your neighborhood school"

Hopefully everyone stays away from the kids who tested at another school. But you will find a few kids who change their minds after the test.

The Phillips thing is horse sh*t.
What happens if a kid changes his mind? Does he need permission from the 1st school to go to the other?

The '97 MC team was predominantly juniors following arguably their best team ever in '96. They brought 2 starters back in Walsh and Kerrins. They did go 8-1 but it was a softer 8-1 then normal.. JC,SR,LA all did not make the playoffs. JC was in transition in Sharp's first year. They had to go to OT to beat a 5-4 SR and beat a 5-4 LA 12-6. They also trailed a heavily favored Marian team late in the 4th. No PC until the next season. So while the loss at Rice was awful, having a team with 15-16 junior starters you are gonna have a clunker in there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT