ADVERTISEMENT

Entrance Exam Today

Whatever high school you are familiar with is much different that the one my kids go to. 4 out of my 5 kids are in high school or have finished high school. Not a single one of my children or their friends went to JCA because of sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hillini74
I know some kids who chose Ignatius because of the ability to make an impact in multiple sports. Not always possible at a New Trier, LA, HC.

I would rephrase the question as the majority of kids who plan on going out for sports as a Frosh chose there school due to the sport. I had 3 students leave JCA immediately after Freshmen baseball tryouts when because they were cut.

Wonder why the MC and SR guys went quiet about their incoming classes. My DSL guy says they did real well as did DLS. MC guys are you going to be able to restock the lower level after Phillips raiding the pantry? Rock, Tom, Wit (rock paper scissors) any future NFL'ers?

Last edited:
Great group of 14 year olds. Could be as strong (or stronger?) as last year's class. But I bet MC BR STL DLS did well too. Families are smarter now. Going to best all around environment for kid and athletic opportunity. Gone are the dynasties. No complaints here. Switching to the Bowie50 nutrition plan should help. Have to wait til October for better answer.

Reactions: Bowie50
Wonder why the MC and SR guys went quiet about their incoming classes. My DSL guy says they did real well as did DLS. MC guys are you going to be able to restock the lower level after Phillips raiding the pantry? Rock, Tom, Wit (rock paper scissors) any future NFL'ers?

CFD,

From what I've heard, my response would be very similar to RockSoup's. Potential is there, but what comes through that door in August may or will be different than in December.

Great group of 14 year olds. Could be as strong (or stronger?) as last year's class. But I bet MC BR STL DLS did well too. Families are smarter now. Going to best all around environment for kid and athletic opportunity. Gone are the dynasties. No complaints here. Switching to the Bowie50 nutrition plan should help. Have to wait til October for better answer.
That is good to hear. Like having parity in the field. Makes for better games. Let’s hope the basketball and baseball players continue to play football.

Good to hear SR is going toe to toe on the training table with LA. But I filed a copy protection petition with the patient office for the above phrase. It’s pending so no royalties are due at this time.

Is SR having similar problems as MC is having with IMG and Phillips?

Last edited:
I need to switch to the Bowie50 nutrition plan before my wife comes to her senses, or I have a grabber.

Reactions: RockSoup
That good to hear. Like having parity in the field. Makes for better games. Let’s hope the basketball and baseball players continue to play football.

Good to hear SR is going toe to toe on the training table with LA. But I filed a copy protection petition with the patient office for the above phrase. It’s pending so no royalties are due at this time.

Is SR having similar problems as MC is having with IMG and Phillips?

I hope to stop by the school soon but in a general sense very happy with the quantity/quality. Will get a better picture when they decide who gets acceptance letters.

When I went to the school on 63rd st. the food was pretty good a far as I was concerned. But there are healthier choices for the kids now. But alas no Bowie50 Nutrition Bars at the school yet.

As far as Phillips at MC I think that is pretty low class. Retention at all private schools is always a concern. This is a football board and everyone thinks the number one reason kids are transferring is because sports - it's not. It's finances.

Last edited:
Nice work DLS!

What helped DLS have really solid numbers is our Director of Admissions is one of the best people in our building.

He's a helluva good guy who sells D well because he really likes the place, he knows what the hell he's talking about and people are willing to work for him and help whenever needed. He relates well to prospective parents and kids and is genuine. No BS from him.

Reactions: Gene K. and USD24
over 100 kids that tested at Rice last week filled out their survey saying that they chose Rice because of athletics.

over 100 kids that tested at Rice last week filled out their survey saying that they chose Rice because of athletics.

That's too bad in my opinion. I know kids/parents do it, but i have always thought that choosing a high school because of athletics is not a good thing. Athletics may play a role, but it should not be the main reason a kid chooses a school. I have seen it not work out way too many times.

That's too bad in my opinion. I know kids/parents do it, but i have always thought that choosing a high school because of athletics is not a good thing. Athletics may play a role, but it should not be the main reason a kid chooses a school. I have seen it not work out way too many times.
I agree but we are talking about 14/15 yr old kids who still think they are going to be professional athletes which is ok at that age

I agree but we are talking about 14/15 yr old kids who still think they are going to be professional athletes which is ok at that age

I agree. But I hope that is not the real reason they are choosing Rice. I dont think 14/15 year olds should be making that decision anyway. As an adult, I made the decision for my children, just as my parents did for me at that age.

Had lunch at SR today. They are ecstatic. 30 kids between St. Christina, Queen of Martyrs, and Mount Greenwood School. With St. Linus and St. Cajetan’s they got over 50 kids within a two and a half mile circle target area. After that the kids are from all over the area. With the kids knowing the entrance requirements go beyond the test the families kind of self screened themselves so a preliminary look at the applicants looks like most of the will get acceptance letters this year. Out of the kids taking the makeup test tomorrow nine are known qualities and will get in. Football coaches not at the luncheon but the admissions guy says that this is the largest group (physical size) of kids to test there since he has been at the school. And alumni donations are up 30%.

But like everyone else let’s see how many checks come in for the first tuition payment.

I’m happy to see almost all of schools are doing well. Two - three years ago the economy was stagnant and after the market of 2008 I was worried about Catholic League Schools. Things are looking brighter now.

Reactions: Gene K.
Has anyone figured out why BR was down 70 this year? I known from several BR posters they are down on the current admin. But my buddy at DLS say BR worked just as hard as anyone else. Was there any indication in the survey that was different from the last few years?

Here is my opinion sums up BR test numbers.

It's was perfect storm of terrible leadership/decisions by the president regarding budget and staffing along with certain staff leaving mostly in the marketing dept. This has been going on for more than a few years and finally caught up with BR.

The bad
-is obviously the number of kids that tested
-change takes time and money

The Good
-much needed change in leadership is coming.
-history says a high rate of kids that test will be there in August when it matters.
-coaches of basketball, baseball and football are extremely happy with the quality of kids coming in both athletically and character wise.
- A lot of great families are now joining the crusader family.

My prediction is come August, BR will have the 2nd biggest class behind Marist for incoming freshman.

Has anyone figured out why BR was down 70 this year? I known from several BR posters they are down on the current admin. But my buddy at DLS say BR worked just as hard as anyone else. Was there any indication in the survey that was different from the last few years?
Really appreciate your concern for BR

I
Here is my opinion sums up BR test numbers.

It's was perfect storm of terrible leadership/decisions by the president regarding budget and staffing along with certain staff leaving mostly in the marketing dept. This has been going on for more than a few years and finally caught up with BR.

The bad
-is obviously the number of kids that tested
-change takes time and money

The Good
-much needed change in leadership is coming.
-history says a high rate of kids that test will be there in August when it matters.
-coaches of basketball, baseball and football are extremely happy with the quality of kids coming in both athletically and character wise.
- A lot of great families are now joining the crusader family.

My prediction is come August, BR will have the 2nd biggest class behind Marist for incoming freshman.

I wouldn't argue with that on numbers. Rice seems to retain a good number of testers. I still think they draw some of those that tested at Marist.

Earlier in this thread the Admin issue was addressed and hopefully O'Connell gets the help he needs. Every kid needs to be recruited now a days.

Really appreciate your concern for BR
Thank you. If your reading more into my post then your wrong. I’m not that Coy. If that survey said 100 came to Rice for sports that’s good. Maybe they all feel they can all suit for the varsity as sophomores. If you what to blame the admin to make changes go for it. But the elephant in the room was the 2-7 record to a small degree which I defended (tough schedule&injuries). To a larger extent was the way the Prep Bowl was handled. That was a bigger cloud than the record.

Thank you. If your reading more into my post then your wrong. I’m not that Coy. If that survey said 100 came to Rice for sports that’s good. Maybe they all feel they can all suit for the varsity as sophomores. If you what to blame the admin to make changes go for it. But the elephant in the room was the 2-7 record to a small degree which I defended (tough schedule&injuries). To a larger extent was the way the Prep Bowl was handled. That was a bigger cloud than the record.

You put it a nice way but not playing in the Prep Bowl playoffs made it feel like they quit on the season. They may not feel that way but it's the way it looked from the outside.

Had lunch at SR today. They are ecstatic. 30 kids between St. Christina, Queen of Martyrs, and Mount Greenwood School. With St. Linus and St. Cajetan’s they got over 50 kids within a two and a half mile circle target area. After that the kids are from all over the area. With the kids knowing the entrance requirements go beyond the test the families kind of self screened themselves so a preliminary look at the applicants looks like most of the will get acceptance letters this year. Out of the kids taking the makeup test tomorrow nine are known qualities and will get in. Football coaches not at the luncheon but the admissions guy says that this is the largest group (physical size) of kids to test there since he has been at the school. And alumni donations are up 30%.

But like everyone else let’s see how many checks come in for the first tuition payment.

I’m happy to see almost all of schools are doing well. Two - three years ago the economy was stagnant and after the market of 2008 I was worried about Catholic League Schools. Things are looking brighter now.

Does anyone from BR or MC have this kind of breakdown by parish?

Does anyone from BR or MC have this kind of breakdown by parish?
After you get past the first 75 the next 150 are from multiple grade schools. I would encourage them all to come out for freshmen football. It's a great way to become part of the school before the first day of classes.

Reactions: USD24
After you get past the first 75 the next 150 are from multiple grade schools. I would encourage them all to come out for freshmen football. It's a great way to become part of the school before the first day of classes.
Do you work for the school? Are you a recruiter?

You don't know how the Prep bowl was handled unless you are part of the program.
And by your philosophy Rice should of tested every kid on the southside since they were ranked in the country in 2016

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT