ADVERTISEMENT

CS8 Predictions-Week 6

Due to no fault of their own due to geography, Caterville is a 4A team playing mostly a 3A schedule. I commend them for scheduling St Joe on their only open non conference date. Last year, they played Madison, a 1A school.

They could easily be 3 and 3. Against WFrankfort, there was some controversy on the last drive due to Caterville may have gotten a 5th down. It took a long pass against St Joe to score with less than a minute.

To make a deep run in 4A, u need to dominate in these games. Teams that have made it to state in 4A are those teams that have played up.

All Finals
SHG 24 Chatham 17. SHG led early 21-0 and it looked like a 4th straight blowout by the Cyclones of the Titans was in the works. However, multiple turnovers and bad snaps let Chatham back into the game, though it was still 24-10 midway through the 4th. Finally abandoning the conservative run-up the middle approach that wasn't particularly successful, the Titans drove the field in three pass plays to close within 24-17 with about 4 to 5 minutes left. However, they'd already burned all their timeouts. The difference in the game was that SHG was able to consistently run the ball, and the Cyclones were able to run out the clock after the Titans failed to convert an on-side kick. Titan OL Mark Helm was hurt on the last play of the first half and did not return. SHG WR Josh McClain made the play of the game with a one-handed catch on 3rd and long in the 4th that led to a Cyclone FG and also allowed them to run off more time.

MacArthur 62 Eisenhower 14. Mac goes to 3-3.

U High 73 Urbana 6. U High goes to 5-1 and qualifies for the playoffs. More wins likely for the Pioneers.

Springfield 43 Southeast 14. A good win for the Senators, although the Spartans were without their starting QB and RB. Huge game for Springfield next week at Normal West. A must win to keep their playoff hopes alive.

Lincoln 41 Jacksonville 28. Lincoln goes to 5-1 and qualifies for the playoffs for the first time since 1984. Sounds like the Railers led most of the game. This was the most winnable of their last four games, and they came through in front of the home crowd. The fourth straight loss by the Crimsons and their playoff chances are now extremely slim.
I see
I counted 5 or 6 Titan Sophomores either starting or getting significant playing time last night.

I think that group could be a lot like the Luke Lehnen crew, challenge for the conference title '24 and be the likely favorite in '25.
they will have to contend with today’s Rochester freshman who will be juniors that season. Rochester is already locked and loaded for a strong four year run again. I anticipate seeing the freshman quarterback for at least a quarter and a half this evening against Lanphier.

Last edited:
Two ranked 4A teams who will be in the south bracket had their first losses last night. Mt Zion lost to 5A Mahomet. Carterville, who edged 3A power St Joe Ogden last week, fell to Harrisburg.
Carterville should end the season at 7-2 with Murphysboro still on the schedule.

4A south is not looking really promising for a legitimate contender to threaten RHS. I thought MTZ may be a possibility, but they ran into an "average" defense and weren't able to do anything. That doesn't bode well for them against the Rockets.

I watched the Carterville/SJO game and wasn't impressed with the Lions at all...they aren't the team they were last year. Has anyone seen Murphysboro play? At 6-0 they look decent, but it's always hard to evaluate and compare the 618 mid size schools to judge how good everyone is.

It's looking like U-High may be the only possible threat to Rochester unless Morris somehow ends up South in the playoffs.
Watch for U-High to “upset” Glenwood. Chatham doesn’t play well against teams that actually defend. I see Glenwood fortunate to get to 6-3.

I see

they will have to contend with today’s Rochester freshman who will be juniors that season. Rochester is already locked and loaded for a strong for your run again. I anticipate seeing the freshman quarterback for at least a quarter and a half this evening against Lanphier.
I've been to three of the freshman games, and they have excellent numbers and have been very impressive. 8th grade JFL has around 30 kids out and they've been very good as well.

Reactions: FB1976 and cigaros
I've been to three of the freshman games, and they have excellent numbers and have been very impressive. 8th grade JFL has around 30 kids out and they've been very good as well.
That’s why I believe the ‘25 and ‘26 teams will be unlike anything we’ve seen out of Rochester in the past.

Reactions: rocketnation
Final
Rochester 63 Lanphier 6

Rockets forced 7 turnovers in the first half, with the running clock starting in the middle of the 2nd quarter.

Last edited:
Reactions: cigaros and FB1976
Final
Rochester 63 Lanphier 6

Rockets forced 7 turnovers in the first half, with the running clock starting in the middle of the 2nd quarter.
I love getting to see the Fr/So squads getting so much playing time and being able to have success against upperclassmen. Beal, Cox, and Stout getting quite a bit of time in and J.P. taking a bunch of snaps!

Week 7 Matchups and a Few Observations
Jacksonville (2-4) at Southeast (0-6)
Lanphier (0-6) at MacArthur (3-3)
Springfield (2-4) at Normal West (5-1)
Eisenhower (1-5) at SHG (5-1)
Rochester (6-0) at Lincoln (5-1)
U High (5-1) at Chatham (4-2)

Springfield and Jacksonville both have to win out to make the playoffs. They play each other Week 8, so at least one of them won't get 5 wins. Springfield has a challenging road game this week, and Jacksonville also has U High Week 9.

After defeating Jacksonville in a bit of an upset, I'm sure there was plenty of excitement in Logan County over Lincoln clinching their first trip to the playoffs since 1984.

It's been a very tough year for Lanphier, but they have an impressive Junior WR Shaunassey Hatchett.

Mac should go to 4-3, but they end the regular season facing SHG and at Bloomington (4-2 currently).

Who would have predicted six weeks ago that U High could be considered the favorite on the road against Chatham? After back-to-back losses where their running game was ineffective, will Chatham make some adjustments and turn loose Colton Knoedler? Their best OL, Mark Helm, was injured against SHG. I'm not sure of his status going forward.

Reactions: cigaros and FB1976
How many turnovers did Rochester force in the entire game? It seems their defense is a turnover machine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT