ADVERTISEMENT

The New CS8.... 2024 Schedule

Per the Decatur Herald and Review, standout Decatur MacArthur Freshman RB Myson Johnson Cook has transferred to Katy (Texas) High School.

Tough news for the Mac program.

Conference defensive coordinators breathe a little easier.
All.... I remember seeing this about mid season last year in the Herald or X. It was down to somewhere in Florida or Texas. If I recall correctly the mother of the kid is a doctor. With a position like that I assume they had the whole country to pick from in terms of living affordability.

I continue to struggle with figuring out the still changing new schedule in 2024. Some schools with 5 home games and others with four on the site I have found. SHG does have a new change and will play Southeast Saturday 10-5 showing an evening game. SHS has Jacksonville on 10-4.

What still isn't clear and was talked about is the Spartan home schedule. Construction will be going on at the school and it was mentioned that their stadium or grounds would be effected possibly to the extent that those games would be played at Memorial Stadium.

Any word out yet rocketnation on the two non con games for Rochester? At one time Batavia was thought to be one of those teams. But a recheck on 8 to 18 schedule is showing 2026 and 2027 not the upcoming year. Ratsy

Have not heard about week 1 and 2 games for '24. I don't see Rochester listed on the IHSA site as looking for opponents. I may hear something once baseball starts. Lots of crossover football parents that I can ask when I go to a game.

Reactions: RoaminCatholic
Have not heard about week 1 and 2 games for '24. I don't see Rochester listed on the IHSA site as looking for opponents. I may hear something once baseball starts. Lots of crossover football parents that I can ask when I go to a game.
All.... Just came across a mention of the week two. Not official until I see it in print but the source is usually spot on. Cardinal Ritter Prep the 2023 state champ out of Missouri. That is a good get ! Don't know if it is home or away. I will try to run all of that down. Ratsy

All.... Found it on the MSHSA web site. Showing it will be a home game for the Rockets on Friday 9-6. Better get in line starting now. (lol) Ratsy
Glad it's at home and Week 2 instead of away and Week 1. The Rockets have a decent number of experienced players back in '24. However, I can count only 6 starters returning from '23 and that's using a liberal definition of a "starter". The big positive now is that Derek has in Bryan Zulauf his first 2-year starting QB since Clay Bruno.

Glad it's at home and Week 2 instead of away and Week 1. The Rockets have a decent number of experienced players back in '24. However, I can count only 6 starters returning from '23 and that's using a liberal definition of a "starter". The big positive now is that Derek has in Bryan Zulauf his first 2-year starting QB since Clay Bruno.
All.... Looked up Ritter. They lose several big lineman but the Lions bring back a bunch on offense. They played two qb's last year that had very good passing stats. One graduated. Both can run. Several rb's back as well as receivers. Some young big kids untested that will be on that line.

2023 - Calpreps (N) 41-40 (53%) Rockets and Massey 42-35 (61%) Lions. A shootout in my opinion would favor Coach Leonard and the Rockets. Projections are just that.

Fwiw CBC that SHG plays finished the season ranked #4 and Ritter #5 in Missouri. Ratsy

Last edited:
All..... A bit more research on CBC and Cardinal Ritter. I don't know a lot about Missouri football in terms of how they stack up against other states. But these two cats are loaded.

CBC will be huge on the line. Ritter has big boys as well. Missouri has district play when it comes to postseason if I have that correct. CBC Class 6 district 2. Ritter Class 5 district 3. Seven teams. Neither is in a closed conference which means going out and snagging teams which can be difficult. One example the Lions played Lift for Life last year. Only winning 32-0. Qnd beat L for L 20 to 6 in 2023. CBC as well appears to struggle with scheduling top flight teams to play. Not unusual though with the history of success these two have established.

Don't get me wrong they also play very good teams and both finished top 10 in Missouri. But with district play and non cons it's tricky figuring both of these juggernauts out.

So I went to Rivals Top 15 players for Missouri. (below) There is a bunch. (lol) Going after QB Boyd will be a must for the Rockets. He is the key. As for the Cyclones I haven't a clue. The Cadets overall line size is the biggest SHG will have ever played against. Lastly I'm hoping someone on this board can provide more insight on how Missouri H. S football stacks up against Illinois football.... Ratsy

#3 CBC (4 star) Corey Simms 6'4" 195 WR/CB C- undecided
#15 CBC (3 star) Triston Abram 6'3" 210 WDE C- undecided

#4 (Ritter) (4 star) Jamarion Parker 6'0" 185 APB Will attend Arkansas.
#5 (Ritter) (4 star) Dejerrian Miller 6'3" 190 WR C-undecided
#6 (Ritter) (3 star) Antonio Parker 5'10" 155 CB C-undecided
#10 (Ritter) (3 star) Carson Boyd 6' 0" 181 QB Verbal - Illinois
#11 (Ritter) (3 star) Tyron Steed 6'2" 165 S C-undecided

Last edited:
Reactions: rocketnation
This will be a huge test for Steve Buecker's mostly new defense. They passed with flying colors last year in Week 1 against Peoria. As the season went on however, it was clear the loss of Peoria's RB from 2022 really hurt their offense against better opponents. This has the potential be a track meet, similar to 2015 and 2016 games versus Althoff which were decided by scores of 42-46 and 48-47.

Last edited:
Reactions: FB1976
This will be a huge test for Steve Buecker's mostly new defense. They passed with flying colors last year in Week 1 against Peoria. As the season went on however, it was clear the loss of Peoria's RB from 2022 really hurt their offense against better opponents. This has the potential be a track meet, similar to 2015 and 2016 games versus Althoff which were decided 42-46 and 48-47.
All.... If the trend holds with the CS8 schedule (w 1 & 2) the Rockets likely will be on the road week one for a tune up. Ritter opens up against class 6A Jackson H.S. The "Fighting Indians" (oh my lol) went 10-2 last year. Losses in week one against Edwardsville and round three of the playoffs against C.B.C. Ranked 10th in Missouri at the end of the 2023 season. The Lions will have their hands full in that game at home. Both Rochester and and CR will need to be at full strength week two with few injuries. Ratsy

All.... (Bored) Fwiw 2023 projections if CBC and Cardinal Ritter played each other. Of course as always it's a projection and should be taken into consideration. SHG will play CBC week 1 and Rochester will play Cardinal Ritter week 2 2024.

CBC #4 (11-3) was trying to go for three straight championships and lost in the final. Cardinal Ritter #5 (14-0) ran the table for their second straight undefeated season and took the trophy once again. Ratsy

Massey - CBC 42 Cardinal Ritter 35 (62%)

Calpreps - CBC 38 Cardinal Ritter 37 (53%)

All.... The QND schedule. (official) All Friday games at 7pm. Ratsy

W1 (H) Quincy Sr.
W2 (H) Richmond-Burton
W3 (H) Southeast
W4 (H) Sacred Heart-Griffin
W5 (A) Springfield
W6 (H) Lanphier (Senior Night)
W7 (A) Jacksonville
W8 (H) Lincoln (Homecoming)
W9 (A) Decatur (MacArthur)

Pre Season scrimmage game August 23 (6pm) (H) Raiders will play Decatur (St. Teresa)

All.... The QND schedule. (official) All Friday games at 7pm. Ratsy

W1 (H) Quincy Sr.
W2 (H) Richmond-Burton
W3 (H) Southeast
W4 (H) Sacred Heart-Griffin
W5 (A) Springfield
W6 (H) Lanphier (Senior Night)
W7 (A) Jacksonville
W8 (H) Lincoln (Homecoming)
W9 (A) Decatur (MacArthur)

Pre Season scrimmage game August 23 (6pm) (H) Raiders will play Decatur (St. Teresa)
6 home games, thought all schools have either 4 or 5?

6 home games, thought all schools have either 4 or 5?
All.... Last season QND played the Blue Devils and Rockets on the road. (w1 & w2) So instead of splitting those first two non cons like the other CS8 teams appear to be doing with a home and away this season the Raiders have that sixth game. I'm assuming they had a two year contract signed with those schools is how it worked out.

Those two non cons are very difficult ones. Weeks 5 through 8 for QND will be big.

On a separate note QND has scheduled 7 JV and 5 freshman games. Go Raiders! Ratsy

Last edited:
All.... Last season QND played the Blue Devils and Rockets on the road. (w1 & w2) So instead of splitting those first two non cons like the other CS8 teams appear to be doing with a home and away this season the Raiders have that sixth game. I'm assuming they had a two year contract signed with those schools is how it worked out.

Those two non cons are very difficult ones. Weeks 5 through 8 for QND will be big.

On a separate note QND has scheduled 7 JV and 5 freshman games. Go Raiders! Ratsy
I would note that arriving at week 6 with more than 1 win will likely be paramount, and still might not be enough. Gonna have to beat SE at home and find a way to knock off SHS at renovated Memorial is what I'm getting at. Mac is likely an L, Lanphier/Lincoln are must wins. Gonna have to find a way against Jax I guess and I doubt anyone in the CS8 is holding their breath for that result... so QND at 3-6 is probably most likely, QND at 4-5 best case. Obviously no way of knowing if that will be enough to squeak in again. Tough way to enter the new league. Take your licks and learn from it moving forward.

I would note that arriving at week 6 with more than 1 win will likely be paramount, and still might not be enough. Gonna have to beat SE at home and find a way to knock off SHS at renovated Memorial is what I'm getting at. Mac is likely an L, Lanphier/Lincoln are must wins. Gonna have to find a way against Jax I guess and I doubt anyone in the CS8 is holding their breath for that result... so QND at 3-6 is probably most likely, QND at 4-5 best case. Obviously no way of knowing if that will be enough to squeak in again. Tough way to enter the new league. Take your licks and learn from it moving forward.
Jacksonville and MacArthur could be real wild cards this year, possibly still in the hunt for the playoffs but also potentially down from recent years. Jacksonville has been a 4 to 6 win team the last 3 years. They went from 6 wins in '22 with an elite QB in Elijah Owens to 4 last year without him and now have to replace the CS8's leading rusher, Cam'Ron Mitchell, in '24. The Crimsons will also have a new starter at QB.

MacArthur had an interesting season in '23, losing to Jacksonville and U High but beating SHG and Chatham. RB Myson Johnson Cook's move to Texas is a huge blow to the Generals. His absence alone could cost Mac a win or two this season. The Generals also have to replace their QB, one of their best WR's, and their best OL-DL.

All.... The Crimsons can be a bit tricky to predict when evenly matched up with another team. Especially if they are playing at home. Interestingly though the computers show in 2023 a slight edge for the Raiders if the two would of played. Ratsy

All.... Projections against Springfield favored QND last year if they would of played. The Senators then Sophomore QB Scheffler has a year of experience coming in as a junior so one would assume the offense will be better. That game should still be a good one.

I believe the key for QND in 2024 will be how quickly they can adjust to the overall speed of the conference. Lots of it all the way up and down. Team participation numbers will be very important as well. Many of the schools will throw in subs during the game hoping to wear a school with not many players down. You gents have the smallest enrollment. Hopefully football turnout is good for QND and continues to build up. Ratsy

All.... The Crimsons can be a bit tricky to predict when evenly matched up with another team. Especially if they are playing at home. Interestingly though the computers show in 2023 a slight edge for the Raiders if the two would of played. Ratsy
Knowing nothing about their Week 1 Missouri opponent, I will say the Crimsons have a schedule which favors a playoff berth even without RB Mitchell. How much improvement will we see from Springfield (Week 6) and possibly Southeast (Week 5), who was playing better at the end of '23 and return their QB (I think)?

All.... It's been long ago when I started working up the 2024 schedules but I'm pretty sure the Crimsons first week game with Soldan,Mo. is the same (Soldan) school QND played last year. The Tigers went 0-10 last season. Even though Jacksonville will travel and it's listed as an early start time of noon I'm going out on a limb and give a w to JHS in that one. ☺️ Ratsy

All.... It's been long ago when I started working up the 2024 schedules but I'm pretty sure the Crimsons first week game with Soldan,Mo. is the same (Soldan) school QND played last year. The Tigers went 0-10 last season. Even though Jacksonville will travel and it's listed as an early start time of noon I'm going out on a limb and give a w to JHS in that one. ☺️ Ratsy
Without a doubt W for Jax. Soldan is awful. No nice way to put it. Class 4A Missouri (out of 6). QND won 55-0 in week 8 last year at QND. Soldan was outscored 439-26 last season. Scoring no more than 8 pts. Shutout 5 times.

All.... Projections against Springfield favored QND last year if they would of played. The Senators then Sophomore QB Scheffler has a year of experience coming in as a junior so one would assume the offense will be better. That game should still be a good one.

I believe the key for QND in 2024 will be how quickly they can adjust to the overall speed of the conference. Lots of it all the way up and down. Team participation numbers will be very important as well. Many of the schools will throw in subs during the game hoping to wear a school with not many players down. You gents have the smallest enrollment. Hopefully football turnout is good for QND and continues to build up. Ratsy
I would agree to some point about speed. But QND entered the MS6 years ago with the same ideas thrown at us... how do we adjust to athletes all over the field and the speed with which they move. Manual and Central (back then) are no different, imo, than Lanphier and SE nowadays. I think the real concern for QND lies in how do you somehow, and maybe not this year but down the line, start competing with the top 4 or 5 in the conference. Bc to make the playoffs in the CS8, you gotta usually beat one of the top tier programs. And in the division QND was placed, that means SHG, 😁

All.... Unless you change who to play in those week W1 and W2 non cons next year. Not cream puffs but teams the Raiders feel they have a good chance to beat. Start out 2-0 would make things a bit more easy for a chance at the postseason. With QND's overall school enrollment rising slowly might be the route to go for a couple of seasons. Ratsy

All.... Unless you change who to play in those week W1 and W2 non cons next year. Not cream puffs but teams the Raiders feel they have a good chance to beat. Start out 2-0 would make things a bit more easy for a chance at the postseason. With QND's overall school enrollment rising slowly might be the route to go for a couple of seasons. Ratsy
100% and I wouldn't say cream puff both the games, bc if QND can find a way to get BMD on the schedule, they certainly will do so. Just makes sense to keep that relationship alive. But in the immediate future, yes, 2-0 with a couple "gimmies" wouldn't bother me one bit. I think QND can find 5 wins next season, dont get me wrong, but there's a few things uncertain playing an entirely new schedule basically so it's a toss up as to how it'll go at this point.

All.... The Raiders are in their second year of the waiver. Should they make the postseason likely back in class 2A or as one of the smaller 3A playoff teams. If healthy and with that new regular season schedule being played they will be battle tested. A chance for a good run. We will see. Ratsy

Reactions: Gene K.
Losing the Carson twins to graduation will hurt the Railers. They provided most of the offensive firepower this year.
All.... Happened to check out the Deep Dish Football site . They do among other things a series called "Name You Must Know." One of the short articles was on a Railsplitter who will be a junior. Zach Poole a 6'6" 305lb C/T. Below is some Hudl info on him. Certainly has the size although I agree it might be a long season. But young Mr. Poole certainly will help. Ratsy

Ratsy,
Do you know if Chatham's Week 2 opponent is the same Missouri team that played Mt Vernon last year?

All.... A couple of personnel changes in the CS8. Ratsy

Josh Talley- Varsity RB and freshman HC for Chatham is leaving the Titans. He will be the new 8 man football HC for Pawnee.

Don Goff- Former Lanphier HC is now the varsity special teams coach at SHG.

All.... A couple of personnel changes in the CS8. Ratsy

Josh Talley- Varsity RB and freshman HC for Chatham is leaving the Titans. He will be the new 8 man football HC for Pawnee.

Don Goff- Former Lanphier HC is now the varsity special teams coach at SHG.
Any rumblings on the HC opening at Lanphier?

Any rumblings on the HC opening at Lanphier?
All.... I haven't heard a thing. I check now and then the D186 HR vacancy postings but have seen nothing listed. The position might end up filled from one of the Lion staff. Although I was told last season quite a bit vocal unhappiness in the stands and off the field complaining reached a new high level. One can only do so much with the hand that is dealt....

They might want to bring someone from outside. But the clock is running. Ratsy

ademola adeniji is what i've been told to lead the lions. stud rb from the same school. he also had 2 1k yds seasons rushing at eiu. great choice. he's a really stand up guy. he coached rbs at shg for a year. i wish him the best.

ademola adeniji is what i've been told to lead the lions. stud rb from the same school. he also had 2 1k yds seasons rushing at eiu. great choice. he's a really stand up guy. he coached rbs at shg for a year. i wish him the best.
All.... Thanks for the info coach. Found it. The school board announced it February 20th. And two weeks before that he was chosen as the track coach as well. I did come across he was an assistant at Lanphier under Coach Nikson in 2016. Also remember he played some semi pro ball in this area back in the day. Ratsy

Reactions: net-se
All.... Thanks for the info coach. Found it. The school board announced it February 20th. And two weeks before that he was chosen as the track coach as well. I did come across he was an assistant at Lanphier under Coach Nikson in 2016. Also remember he played some semi pro ball in this area back in the day. Ratsy
he also was an asst. for goff.

Though an official schedule isn't out yet, I've heard from a reliable source that Rochester will have an away game Week 1 against Chicago Simeon.

Though an official schedule isn't out yet, I've heard from a reliable source that Rochester will have an away game Week 1 against Chicago Simeon.
All.... The Wolverines finished 5-5 for the season in Ihsa play and if I recall correctly played two more in the Prep Bowl ending up at 6-6. A nice road trip for Rocket fans. Although there are around a half dozen or so CPL stadiums used most of the time Simeon plays at Gately Stadium. Plenty of seats and parking is good.

Not sure what the Wolverines return but they do have have one super stud who will be on the field that the Rockets will need to lock down. This guy.... Ratsy

Last edited:
All.... Came across the Cyclone sophomore and freshman schedule. In the past some CS8 schools had trouble at the lower levels fielding a team or with very few games. AS always schedules are subject to change. Ratsy

Sophomore-

9-2 (H) Christian Brothers 11am
9-9 (A) Mascoutah 6pm
9-16 (H) Jacksonville 6pm
9-23 (A) QND 6pm
9-30 (H) Lanphier 6pm
10-7 (A) Southeast 6pm
10-14 (H) Springfielld (tba)
10-21 (H) Chatham 6pm
10-26 (A) Rochester 10am

Freshman-

9-7 (H) Mascoutah 11am
9-12 (H) Normal University 6pm
9-19 (H) QND 5:30pm
9-26 (A) Lanphier 5pm
10-5 (A) Christian Brothers 10am
10-10 (H) Springfield 6pm
10-17 (A) Chatham 6pm
10-23 (H) Rochester 6pm

All.... After one season HC Michael Kinade from Southeast has resigned. Spartans will need to scramble quickly and get that position filled.

Reports in the paper I recall last season mentioned low numbers of players were available throughout the year. If that trend continues in 2024 not a good sign. They should be the favorite though week one when they travel to East Peoria and take on the Raiders. Ratsy

Last edited:
All.... After one season HC Michael Kinade from Southeast has resigned. Spartans will need to scramble quickly and get that position filled.

Reports in the paper I recall last season mentioned low numbers of players were available throughout the year. If that trend continues in 2024 not a good sign. They should be the favorite though week one when they travel to East Peoria and take on the Raiders. Ratsy
Discouraging news for the Spartans occurring at a really bad time. Although they were 2-7 last year, Southeast mostly avoided the weekly running clock beatdowns that Lanphier and Eisenhower suffered. After being running clocked by SHG in Week 4, they went 2-3 their last 5 games with losses by 8 points to playoff qualifier Lincoln, 27 to 4-5 Jacksonville, and 29 to 3-6 Springfield and wins over Lanphier and Ike. Before hearing this news, I thought the Spartans had a chance to be improved in '24.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT