ADVERTISEMENT

CS8 Predictions-Week 6

rocketnation

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2017
Five Friday and one Saturday contest this week. Jacksonville at Lincoln has playoff implications, but the clear game of the week is SHG at Chatham. The rest of the conference will be watching SHG-Chatham closely. There may be a fair number of Rocket fans at the game since Rochester does not play until Saturday.

Friday
Urbana (0-5) at U High (4-1)
U High should win easily, clinching a playoff spot and tying the CS8 and Big 12 series at 4-4. The Pioneers have been the surprise of the conference. Kudos to Coach Walworth. The question for U High is how many more wins are realistic after this week. They should be favored to get at least 6 victories but 7 and even 8 are possible. U High 50 Urbana 0

Southeast (0-5) at Springfield (1-4)
Springfield has to win out to make the playoffs and can't look ahead to Week 7 on the road at Normal West. Southeast has yet to win but did score 26 points in both their losses to U High and Lincoln and is showing some improvement from the beginning of the season. As long as Springfield takes care of the ball, they should get their second win. Springfield 32 Southeast 16

MacArthur (2-3) at Eisenhower (1-4)
I've been wrong three times about Mac so far this season, picking them to win against Jacksonville and U High and to lose to Chatham. Not expecting to be wrong this week. This should be a big game for RB Johnson-Cook. Mac's playoff hopes likely to come down to Week 9 at Bloomington. MacArthur 45 Eisenhower 6

Jacksonville (2-3) at Lincoln (4-1)
Lincoln is one win away from making the playoffs for the first time since 1984. However, they have played an extremely favorable schedule so far. They close against Jacksonville, Rochester, U High, and Chatham. This is likely their best chance to get the 5th win, at home with hopefully an excited crowd. The Railers have been a run-first team, relying on the Carson twins for most of their offense. Jacksonville has lost three in a row, including a tough 27-22 contest last week against Peoria Notre Dame. The Crimsons led into the 4th quarter before the Irish scored the last 2 TD's. Jacksonville did get their QB Mani Moore back last week after missing most of the last two games and it made a difference. As long as Jacksonville can withstand a quick start by the Railers, they should come out on top in a close one. The Crimsons also need this game badly if they want to have a chance at making the playoffs. Jacksonville 31 Lincoln 22

SHG (4-1) at Chatham (4-1)
Chatham's 14-12 loss to Mac last week takes a little excitement away from this match up but it's still an important rivalry game. Chatham has shown a conservative mostly run between the tackles approach this season. It worked until last week. The time has arrived to see how far their Sophomore QB has progressed and throw the ball more. The Titan's defense has only allowed an impressive 26 points this season. However, I don't expect them to be able to hold the SHG offense to the 14 they gave up last week. SHG has shown more big play ability than Chatham, both on the ground and in the air. I believe RB Christian Pollard is the difference maker in this contest. He has 10 or so TD's the last three weeks and had an impressive 50+ yard score last week on a screen pass that looked like it was going nowhere. Chatham can't fall behind too far early and also won't win with their point production of last week. If SHG has a quick start that quiets the home crowd and avoids turnovers, they should win. I don't expect this, though, to be a running clock situation that occurred last season. SHG 27 Chatham 16

Saturday
Rochester (5-0) at Lanphier (0-5)
This will be my first trip to the renovated Memorial Stadium. Hoping the parking situation is better than I've heard. Lanphier has really struggled this season, particularly on defense. Rochester will try to get a running clock quickly and get the reserves in by the 2nd quarter. Rochester 57 Lanphier 6

Last edited:
FWIW, I should have mentioned that SHG and Chatham have one common opponent. Chatham beat Springfield 33-0 in Week 4. SHG defeated the Senators 34-7 last week.

Reactions: cigaros
I always enjoy your analysis of the games, but I do think the SHG/C-G game will be a little more lopsided...SHG by 4 TDs.
I think SHG needs to up their play for that to happen, but we will see. They still appear to be trying to figure things out with 5 games already played, but the injuries to some key players are probably responsible for some of that.

This will be my first trip to the renovated Memorial Stadium. Hoping the parking situation is better than I've heard.
it's bad. i've arrived there at 5pm for 3 games, and only once was i able to park near our locker room. until they open up the parking area on the east side of the high school(closed for construction), be ready to park at the bingo hall or the state parking lot on the west side of lanphier.

the ticket booth on the north is right next to the scoreboard facing west. it is no longer on the north side.

Reactions: rocketnation
All..... Get there really early is the key. If the baseball stadium isn't being used best area for tailgating (of course lol ) is off North Grand hang a right as you enter the parking lot . Parking spaces run east down to the railway tracks.

Speaking of those tracks I will never forget. Back in the day I lived 10 minutes away from the stadium and as a kid would walk to the stadium. Watched CICL baseball If I recall correctly Mike Schmidt played some in that league. Also remember Leon "Bull" Durham hit a home run over that right field fence and cleared those tracks. Rolled up into the yard of one of the houses nearby. Can't remember what league Leon was in at that time.

Had batting practice time down to a tee. Before they would send people out to retrieve the balls that flew out of the stadium during that time the Rat would be next to those tracks waiting for a prize to come over. Then run like hell after getting one.... Ratsy

I always enjoy your analysis of the games, but I do think the SHG/C-G game will be a little more lopsided...SHG by 4 TDs.
Aww man, the pot has been stirred. I am going a little bit more conservative and predicting SHG by 20. LOL. Glenwood has amazing turnout for their team but can't seem to put the right 11 players on the field at the same time.

All.... As has already been noted in the CS8 week five thread after game comments for week six.... For any of the Titan faithful that happens to frequent this site the predictions so far are NOT from any of the SHG faithful. Not sure who FB1976* is but have an idea. Ratsy

* Just made a call. This is intriguing what I was told. One never knows. We will see.

I will comment on this upcoming match though. I like the Cyclones chances in this game.

Last edited:
I was eating lunch yesterday at a place that had a pic up of the Chatham "Former Nickname" championship team from 1998. At the time, the school had an enrollment of around 1,100. Today, it is closer to 1,500. I couldn't get over how much bigger those '98 kids were than the more recent teams (except '19). The '98 defense was led by 6'5" 240 pound Kenny Boyle and 6'6" 230 pound Ryan Daley. That team had an additional 4 defensive starters that were at least 200 pounds. There is not a single starter on their defense this year that weighs 200. It just strikes me as odd that the Titans don't consistently have bigger kids based on their enrollment advantage over other CS8 schools.

Don’t worry, Glenwood fans will be too busy making excuses for their 4-1 record against teams, which are combined 6-19 as they go 1-3 (at best), possibly 0-4, for the rest of their schedule against teams which are combined 17-3. This has never been said before. The Glenwood versus Lincoln game in week 9 could determine who makes the playoffs and who does not.

I was eating lunch yesterday at a place that had a pic up of the Chatham "Former Nickname" championship team from 1998. At the time, the school had an enrollment of around 1,100. Today, it is closer to 1,500. I couldn't get over how much bigger those '98 kids were than the more recent teams (except '19). The '98 defense was led by 6'5" 240 pound Kenny Boyle and 6'6" 230 pound Ryan Daley. That team had an additional 4 defensive starters that were at least 200 pounds. There is not a single starter on their defense this year that weighs 200. It just strikes me as odd that the Titans don't consistently have bigger kids based on their enrollment advantage over other CS8 schools.
All.... The fairly new strength /conditioning coordinator Caleb Cox if he can get down into their JFL could change that with the potential lineman. It would take time and a change of diet with the youngsters. If they have the frame for it. Right now I have been told he tends to be about speed and improving it. Still need the big boys. Ratsy

All.... The fairly new strength /conditioning coordinator Caleb Cox if he can get down into their JFL could change that with the potential lineman. It would take time and a change of diet with the youngsters. If they have the frame for it. Right now I have been told he tends to be about speed and improving it. Still need the big boys. Ratsy
Agree 100%.

All.... As has already been noted in the CS8 week five thread after game comments for week six.... For any of the Titan faithful that happens to frequent this site the predictions so far are NOT from any of the SHG faithful. Not sure who FB1976* is but have an idea. Ratsy

* Just made a call. This is intriguing what I was told. One never knows. We will see.

I will comment on this upcoming match though. I like the Cyclones chances in this game.
LOL...you have no idea who I am, though not sure why you would care. Just a fan of IL HS football and having watched film of both teams...my prediction remains... SHG 35, CG 7

As a disclaimer I have no connection to either team...other than taking up residence in one fan's head apparently.

The Channel 1450 picks are in for Week 6.

They have chosen U High (3-0), Springfield (3-0), MacArthur (3-0), Jacksonville (3-0), SHG (2-1), and Rochester (3-0).

LOL...you have no idea who I am, though not sure why you would care. Just a fan of IL HS football and having watched film of both teams...my prediction remains... SHG 35, CG 7

As a disclaimer I have no connection to either team...other than taking up residence in one fan's head apparently.
All.... Rodents have always been curious. Thanks for the clarification. Hear that Titan fans as they say from the horses mouth! No bulletin board material . Should be a fun game! Ratsy

SJR Staff Predictions
U High 49 Urbana 0
Springfield 28 Southeast 20
MacArthur 49 Eisenhower 6
Jacksonville 35 Lincoln 14
SHG 28 Chatham 14
Rochester 60 Lanphier 0

SJR Staff Predictions
U High 49 Urbana 0
Springfield 28 Southeast 20
MacArthur 49 Eisenhower 6
Jacksonville 35 Lincoln 14
SHG 28 Chatham 14
Rochester 60 Lanphier 0
I don't want to like the fact Rochester is going to wear out the endzones on Lanphier's new field. However it cannot be ignored that Rochester has scored 247% more points (262 vs 106) than the combined scoring of the TWO teams (Lanphier and Springfield) which play at Memorial stadium. I mean, its an $8,000,000 upgrade. I hope those endzones are reinforced. But I do agree that the only way Rochester doesn't hang 60 on the Lions is because Springfield 186 will ask Derek to let them get at least 10 years out of their new turf.

South County Weekly "Mr. Pick'em" Predictions
U High 65 Urbana 14
Springfield 29 Southeast 21
MacArthur 42 Eisenhower 16
Jacksonville 30 Lincoln 21
SHG 24 Chatham 20
Rochester 63 Lanphier 0

must be the office.

Final
ShG 24, CG 17

My prediction was flawed. I underestimated Chatham's defense and offense. Both teams have a lot to clean up if they want to avoid "trouble" in weeks 8 (Chatham) and 9 (SHG).

All Finals
SHG 24 Chatham 17. SHG led early 21-0 and it looked like a 4th straight blowout by the Cyclones of the Titans was in the works. However, multiple turnovers and bad snaps let Chatham back into the game, though it was still 24-10 midway through the 4th. Finally abandoning the conservative run-up the middle approach that wasn't particularly successful, the Titans drove the field in three pass plays to close within 24-17 with about 4 to 5 minutes left. However, they'd already burned all their timeouts. The difference in the game was that SHG was able to consistently run the ball, and the Cyclones were able to run out the clock after the Titans failed to convert an on-side kick. Titan OL Mark Helm was hurt on the last play of the first half and did not return. SHG WR Josh McClain made the play of the game with a one-handed catch on 3rd and long in the 4th that led to a Cyclone FG and also allowed them to run off more time.

MacArthur 62 Eisenhower 14. Mac goes to 3-3.

U High 73 Urbana 6. U High goes to 5-1 and qualifies for the playoffs. More wins likely for the Pioneers.

Springfield 43 Southeast 14. A good win for the Senators, although the Spartans were without their starting QB and RB. Huge game for Springfield next week at Normal West. A must win to keep their playoff hopes alive.

Lincoln 41 Jacksonville 28. Lincoln goes to 5-1 and qualifies for the playoffs for the first time since 1984. Sounds like the Railers led most of the game. This was the most winnable of their last four games, and they came through in front of the home crowd. The fourth straight loss by the Crimsons and their playoff chances are now extremely slim.

Last edited:
Final
ShG 24, CG 17

My prediction was flawed. I underestimated Chatham's defense and offense. Both teams have a lot to clean up if they want to avoid "trouble" in weeks 8 (Chatham) and 9 (SHG).
All.... Nope. Cyclones prevail but the game was over in the first half and could of gotten worse for the Titans. It's really simple.... QB plays umm.... less then stellar this is what happens. Ratsy

All.... Nope. Cyclones prevail but the game was over in the first half and could of gotten worse for the Titans. It's really simple.... QB plays umm.... less then stellar this is what happens. Ratsy
Good point...I was feeling pretty good about my prediction at the half!

In your analysis, then, if they take care of the ball better, will that be enough to give the Rockets a week 9 shocker? Or what else will they need to improve on?

Good point...I was feeling pretty good about my prediction at the half!

In your analysis, then, if they take care of the ball better, will that be enough to give the Rockets a week 9 shocker? Or what else will they need to improve on?
All....Ummm ehh. Stop, On a different subject there used to be gent on the old SHG board that would stir up the fellas. He said almost verbatim I'm just a fan of high school football which you said exactly in a past post. Never could get him to admit what school he graduated from. God save the queen if it's you. Ratsy

All....Ummm ehh. Stop, On a different subject there used to be gent on the old SHG board that would stir up the fellas. He said almost verbatim I'm just a fan of high school football which you said exactly in a past post. Never could get him to admit what school he graduated from. God save the queen if it's you. Ratsy
Never been on an SHG board...ever. What exactly am I trying to stir up? For heavens sake, I'm asking your honest opinion on a game everyone wants to see played competitively. For the record I graduated from MTZ....are you trying to dox me or something? You seem paranoid!

Never been on an SHG board...ever. What exactly am I trying to stir up? For heavens sake, I'm asking your honest opinion on a game everyone wants to see played competitively. For the record I graduated from MTZ....are you trying to dox me or something? You seem paranoid!
I know you're going back and forth with the "rat" on this, but if I may I'll give my opinion on your question to him. SHG needs to get their starting center back; they turn the ball over ONCE against Rochester and they're done. We are 6 games into the season, and there is really nothing to be done at this point to turn this team into a serious contender to win week 9 nor to win any more than one postseason game. There is no SWITCH to be turned on. The Cyclones have to go with what they got. More to your question: playing an error-free game and getting some of the wounded back will keep them from getting BLOWN OUT by the Rockets (at least on the scoreboard), but no way does SHG win it!

Reactions: FB1976
I know you're going back and forth with the "rat" on this, but if I may I'll give my opinion on your question to him. SHG needs to get their starting center back; they turn the ball over ONCE against Rochester and they're done. We are 6 games into the season, and there is really nothing to be done at this point to turn this team into a serious contender to win week 9 nor to win any more than one postseason game. There is no SWITCH to be turned on. The Cyclones have to go with what they got. More to your question: playing an error-free game and getting some of the wounded back will keep them from getting BLOWN OUT by the Rockets (at least on the scoreboard), but no way does SHG win it!
Thank you for the response. I'm not sure I see the path for an SHG win so gloomy. They showed some flashes of solid play in the first half of tonight's game and they seem to always play the Rockets really well.

I do think the Cyclones will have to hit some receivers instead of depending so heavily on Pollard's runs between the tackles. I see Buecker's crew shutting that down pretty quickly. I trust your opinion on whether SHG has the pass dynamic available to them to do that.

All.... Malleus you missed prime beef burgers tonight! Next week I'm dumbing it down against the Panthers at Shangri-La. Nathans beef dogs with Coney Island sauce. Ratsy P.S What is the IHSA record with low snaps and others on the ground? It had to be set tonight. 15 at least.... The stud center supposedly might be back for the Mac game.

All.... Malleus you missed prime beef burgers tonight! Next week I'm dumbing it down against the Panthers at Shangri-La. Nathans beef dogs with Coney Island sauce. Ratsy P.S What is the IHSA record with low snaps and others on the ground? It had to be set tonight. 15 at least.... The stud center supposedly might be back for the Mac game.
The coach said in the postgame interview that the center had an injured hand. If so, that could explain some of of the snaps. If that's the case, then kudos to him for gutting it out. Yeah, for a chance to make any kind of noise for the rest of the year, the stud NEEDS to get back AND BE ABLE TO PERFORM! Looks like the points from Normal Community will most likely get the Cyclones into the postseason with their 5th win. Time to heal next week against Eisenhower before MacArthur and then the Rockets. What's the deal with Jamarion? He didn't dress for the game, and coach said they LOST him last night (Thursday). Hope it's not for the year!!!!!!!!

The coach said in the postgame interview that the center had an injured hand. If so, that could explain some of of the snaps. If that's the case, then kudos to him for gutting it out. Yeah, for a chance to make any kind of noise for the rest of the year, the stud NEEDS to get back AND BE ABLE TO PERFORM! Looks like the points from Normal Community will most likely get the Cyclones into the postseason with their 5th win. Time to heal next week against Eisenhower before MacArthur and then the Rockets. What's the deal with Jamarion? He didn't dress for the game, and coach said they LOST him last night (Thursday). Hope it's not for the year!!!!!!!!

All.... Turnovers (four I believe) combined with the injuries was the reason this game ended up close score wise. Haven't heard yet the status on young Mr. Bardwell.

Different subject. At the tailgate I talked with several of the Titan faithful as to the lack of size with the team. They were puzzled as everyone else is why. I will yell you this though must of been 100 jfl kids in uniforms running around, up in trees (lol) and there looked to be some whoppers. Size is coming for the Titans in the future. I was also told the Titan sophomore team is loaded and look out next year. Potential to be as good as the 2019 semi final team. Ratsy

Last edited:
All.... Turnovers (four I believe) combined with the injuries was the reason this game ended up close score wise. Haven't heard yet the status on young Mr. Bardwell.

Different subject. At the tailgate I talked with several of the Titan faithful as to the lack of size with the team. They were puzzled as everyone else is why. I will yell you this though must of been 100 jfl kids in uniforms running around, up in trees (lol) and there looked to be some whoppers. Size is coming for the Titans in the future. I was also told the Titan sophomore team is loaded and look out next year. Potential to be as good as the 2019 semi final team. Ratsy
I counted 5 or 6 Titan Sophomores either starting or getting significant playing time last night.

I think that group could be a lot like the Luke Lehnen crew, challenge for the conference title '24 and be the likely favorite in '25.

Two ranked 4A teams who will be in the south bracket had their first losses last night. Mt Zion lost to 5A Mahomet. Carterville, who edged 3A power St Joe Ogden last week, fell to Harrisburg.

Reactions: cigaros and FB1976
Two ranked 4A teams who will be in the south bracket had their first losses last night. Mt Zion lost to 5A Mahomet. Carterville, who edged 3A power St Joe Ogden last week, fell to Harrisburg.
4A south is not looking really promising for a legitimate contender to threaten RHS. I thought MTZ may be a possibility, but they ran into an "average" defense and weren't able to do anything. That doesn't bode well for them against the Rockets.

I watched the Carterville/SJO game and wasn't impressed with the Lions at all...they aren't the team they were last year. Has anyone seen Murphysboro play? At 6-0 they look decent, but it's always hard to evaluate and compare the 618 mid size schools to judge how good everyone is.

It's looking like U-High may be the only possible threat to Rochester unless Morris somehow ends up South in the playoffs.

4A south is not looking really promising for a legitimate contender to threaten RHS. I thought MTZ may be a possibility, but they ran into an "average" defense and weren't able to do anything. That doesn't bode well for them against the Rockets.

I watched the Carterville/SJO game and wasn't impressed with the Lions at all...they aren't the team they were last year. Has anyone seen Murphysboro play? At 6-0 they look decent, but it's always hard to evaluate and compare the 618 mid size schools to judge how good everyone is.

It's looking like U-High may be the only possible threat to Rochester unless Morris somehow ends up South in the playoffs.
Murphysboro has played both Rochester and SHG in past playoffs. They have Harrisburg (5-1), who beat Carterville last night, Carterville (5-1), and DuQuoin (6-0) to end the season. Three pretty good opponents.

Will be very interesting to see if Morris ends up in 5A South, 5A North, 4A South, or 4A North.

Reactions: FB1976
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT