ADVERTISEMENT

CPL Pick 'Em! Just in time for the early Friday Games!

GhostOfTheGhhost

May 14, 2018
Good to see Hot Thursday CPL Action is finally starting to get some traction around here. Got so caught up in Amundsen putting a hurting on Curie (seriously, are we that far from the mechanic at Curie going deep in the 8A playoffs?) that I almost forgot to post! Of course, if I'm being honest, I was more distracted by the lululemon and the Pumpkin Spice Lattes at Winnemac park on a lovely Chicago fall afternoon. On to the picks!

DRW Trading v Rowe Clark
This sounds way more like the topic of discussion between two investment bankers at Ceres Cafe in the BOT building. Honestly, all the talk about long positions, shorting, calls and puts, all sound a bit risque. With that, I am all in!
Rowe Clark!

Carver Military vs Sarah Goode
Not sure why, but my first thought when I saw this one was of the Boston Carver sandwich at Boston Market. Decent sandwich from what I remember, but I can't remember the last time I even entered a Boston Market. Are they still in business? I remember there was one right next to a Kenny Rodgers Roasters by this place I used to work. When my coworkers and I were going out to lunch we used to call going by there, the Chicken Conundrum. Seemed a lot funnier back then. A lot funnier....
Slow Roasted takes the win!

North Grand v Marine Leadership Academy
If this one is at Marine, and you are anywhere near Armitage and Pulaski, you should hit up the churro place just over the fence from the end zone. Not to fat shame myself, but one time I stopped before the game, walked over to the fence to watch the game, then went back twice to get more churros. Hey, those things are delicious!
Grand Pianos!

Westinghouse v Whitney Young
Not sure if they are still doing it, but for a while there were a couple of guys "broadcasting" every Whitney Young game on YouTube. For a couple of dudes just showing up and doing the broadcasts, they were pretty entertaining and on top of things. They did interviews, pregame prep, etc... I've paid to watch much worse. Anyway, a few years ago, Whitney Young was having a pretty good season, record of like 6-1 or 7-0 if I remember correctly. They played a game at Taft, and got waxed. The funny part, was the announcers just kept talking about how the 2 high safeties must have been what was confusing the WY offense. Pretty sure they lost by 30, but it just struck me as funny how the 2 safeties was the main topic of conversation. "We just don't see that in the CPL!" Nice trip down CPL memory lane....
House!

Steinmetz vs Clemente
I love these old school Big Shoulders Conference matchups. 2 teams having to take the CTA to and from the game. Thursday and Friday afternoon tilts so coaches could have plenty of time to get to the bar. Spent many a night on the North side with Big Shoulders coaches yucking it up together after a 330 Thursday start. More sweet memories...
Hugh Hefner High!

Good to see Hot Thursday CPL Action is finally starting to get some traction around here. Got so caught up in Amundsen putting a hurting on Curie (seriously, are we that far from the mechanic at Curie going deep in the 8A playoffs?) that I almost forgot to post! Of course, if I'm being honest, I was more distracted by the lululemon and the Pumpkin Spice Lattes at Winnemac park on a lovely Chicago fall afternoon. On to the picks!

DRW Trading v Rowe Clark
This sounds way more like the topic of discussion between two investment bankers at Ceres Cafe in the BOT building. Honestly, all the talk about long positions, shorting, calls and puts, all sound a bit risque. With that, I am all in!
Rowe Clark!

Carver Military vs Sarah Goode
Not sure why, but my first thought when I saw this one was of the Boston Carver sandwich at Boston Market. Decent sandwich from what I remember, but I can't remember the last time I even entered a Boston Market. Are they still in business? I remember there was one right next to a Kenny Rodgers Roasters by this place I used to work. When my coworkers and I were going out to lunch we used to call going by there, the Chicken Conundrum. Seemed a lot funnier back then. A lot funnier....
Slow Roasted takes the win!

North Grand v Marine Leadership Academy
If this one is at Marine, and you are anywhere near Armitage and Pulaski, you should hit up the churro place just over the fence from the end zone. Not to fat shame myself, but one time I stopped before the game, walked over to the fence to watch the game, then went back twice to get more churros. Hey, those things are delicious!
Grand Pianos!

Westinghouse v Whitney Young
Not sure if they are still doing it, but for a while there were a couple of guys "broadcasting" every Whitney Young game on YouTube. For a couple of dudes just showing up and doing the broadcasts, they were pretty entertaining and on top of things. They did interviews, pregame prep, etc... I've paid to watch much worse. Anyway, a few years ago, Whitney Young was having a pretty good season, record of like 6-1 or 7-0 if I remember correctly. They played a game at Taft, and got waxed. The funny part, was the announcers just kept talking about how the 2 high safeties must have been what was confusing the WY offense. Pretty sure they lost by 30, but it just struck me as funny how the 2 safeties was the main topic of conversation. "We just don't see that in the CPL!" Nice trip down CPL memory lane....
House!

Steinmetz vs Clemente
I love these old school Big Shoulders Conference matchups. 2 teams having to take the CTA to and from the game. Thursday and Friday afternoon tilts so coaches could have plenty of time to get to the bar. Spent many a night on the North side with Big Shoulders coaches yucking it up together after a 330 Thursday start. More sweet memories...
Hugh Hefner High!
Good news /Bad news Ghost. The picks were great reading as always. Bad news - my crew is working on the demolition of a Boston Market in Bolingbrook. Sorry !

Boston Market. Are they still in business?

Yes, but their managers have been slow-cooking on the rotisserie since labor officials in New Jersey shut down 27 restaurants for cheating employees out of back wages. The employees have now been paid in full. This win for low-wage workers against their sleazy managers resolves a longstanding physics problem known as the Chicken Conundrum.

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT