ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Preseason Q for the 2023 season?

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
So what are some of the biggest questions as we are now under 100 days till IHSA Kickoff 2023?

P{lease feel free to post them here.

Here are just a few I have off the top of my head right now.....

Will we end up FINALLY having a true 1-32 seeding for all 8 Class of IHSA Football playoffs starting in 2023?

Can East St. Louis replace 2 tons of offensive linemen and remain as dangerous as ever?

Will Loyola remain Loyola even minus head coach John Holecek?

Will we see any sort of impact on the field or in the football program from the Maine South IHSA penalty?

Which major power program could slip in 2023? Or will we again see the same ole same ole powers winning big?

Which team bubbling under makes a big move up in 2023?

How will Illinois State do hosting the IHSA State Football final games starting in 2023?

Are we on the brink of seeing several major conference reshuffled and changed that could have major implications for the 2024 season and beyond?

Can we ever find a way to slow the increasingly dangerous shortage of refs?

Will we continue to see more and more small enrollment schools find their way to 8 man football? And how much longer before the IHSA accepts and welcomes in 8 Man football to it's playoff series?

8-man football numbers:
2019—16 teams
2020 (bogus spring season) 15 teams
2021—23 teams
2022 — 27 teams completed season
Based on enrollment (ranging from 87 to 307), it appears to work that all of these schools can play in 1 class.
Let's say that in 2023 there are 32 teams competing. As in the 11-man tournament, half would make the playoffs so there would be a 16-team draw. That's four weeks of playoffs, with the title game coming the weekend of the 11-man semifinals.
Doubtful that any tv station would ante up cost to travel to wherever for a state-title game between two tiny schools that basically the entire state population can't find without google. So pretty much, isn't the 8-man game which already has a state playoff doing just fine as is? Another title game clearly doesn't fit into the Friday/Saturday state-tourney schedule which already has 10-1-4-7 start times that seem to run later and later in an offensive era.
You're not going to play on Thanksgiving or on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. The idea of playing 7classes of 11-man football teams means eliminating 32 playoff teams, which in 2022 meant that a 4-5 team wouldn't qualify and neither would 31 5-4 teams. So, that means teams would need to again focus on 6 wins instead of just five which kind of changes that non-conference game landscape.
Just not sure that this is the time for the IHSA to revamp their playoff situation.

Will the CS8 vs Big 12 matchups favor one conference clearly more than the other and how much will the results impact the playoffs?

All..... With what happened last season in both conferences calpreps rated the CS8 #23 and the Big 12 #25.

I believe when looking at the lower performing teams among the two head to head the Big 12 comes out on top. As for the traditional leaders this year I also give the nod to the Big 12. SHG has almost no one back, Chatham will be extremely young although they got a favorable non con draw this year. SHS will better but play Normal West.

The Rockets draw with Peoria will be interesting. I still like Rochester in that one but as we all know week one games can be tricky. If that match were say mid season I would really be comfortable with Peoria not coming out on top.

Overall enrollment numbers also favor the Big 12. Five or 6 wins for the CS8 would be a good showing in my opinion. We will see. Ratsy

8-man football numbers:
2019—16 teams
2020 (bogus spring season) 15 teams
2021—23 teams
2022 — 27 teams completed season
Based on enrollment (ranging from 87 to 307), it appears to work that all of these schools can play in 1 class.
Let's say that in 2023 there are 32 teams competing. As in the 11-man tournament, half would make the playoffs so there would be a 16-team draw. That's four weeks of playoffs, with the title game coming the weekend of the 11-man semifinals.
Doubtful that any tv station would ante up cost to travel to wherever for a state-title game between two tiny schools that basically the entire state population can't find without google. So pretty much, isn't the 8-man game which already has a state playoff doing just fine as is? Another title game clearly doesn't fit into the Friday/Saturday state-tourney schedule which already has 10-1-4-7 start times that seem to run later and later in an offensive era.
You're not going to play on Thanksgiving or on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. The idea of playing 7classes of 11-man football teams means eliminating 32 playoff teams, which in 2022 meant that a 4-5 team wouldn't qualify and neither would 31 5-4 teams. So, that means teams would need to again focus on 6 wins instead of just five which kind of changes that non-conference game landscape.
Just not sure that this is the time for the IHSA to revamp their playoff situation.
I highly doubt your suggestion that no TV station would travel to an 8-man championship game. Perhaps no statewide station if it was in a different location than the rest, sure. But the teams making the championship game have mostly been concentrated in western Illinois and the championship game has been there. The 2021 game was between two teams that are maybe an hour or less from each other. Those teams have supporters and the local station would send someone. With that said, I agree with keeping it separate and at a different place, if only to help ensure that the fans have less travel time.

I highly doubt your suggestion that no TV station would travel to an 8-man championship game. Perhaps no statewide station if it was in a different location than the rest, sure. But the teams making the championship game have mostly been concentrated in western Illinois and the championship game has been there. The 2021 game was between two teams that are maybe an hour or less from each other. Those teams have supporters and the local station would send someone. With that said, I agree with keeping it separate and at a different place, if only to help ensure that the fans have less travel time.
Do you really need a TV station? I prefer some of the school run coverage on Youtube than what we get from the IHSA coverage.

Will we end up FINALLY having a true 1-32 seeding for all 8 Class of IHSA Football playoffs starting in 2023?
No the IHSA does not care about who makes it to what round, they care about crowing a Champion.

Can East St. Louis replace 2 tons of offensive linemen and remain as dangerous as ever?
They can replace it yes but I doubt they will be as talented.

I feel they will have a set back for a few years but will find their way. (Learning curve)

Will we see any sort of impact on the field or in the football program from the Maine South IHSA penalty?
Penalty...or the loss of Charlie Bliss? They will still be successful in conference but I am going to say 2nd round playoff exit.

Which major power program could slip in 2023? Or will we again see the same ole same ole powers winning big? Loyola (See above). Bolngbrook (loss of a coach that was good for the community). Maine South (loss of Bliss). Lake Zurich (lost a lot of talent and cupboard is pretty empty).

Which team bubbling under makes a big move up in 2023? Hersey (seems to be A LOT of talent in Arlington Heights).

How will Illinois State do hosting the IHSA State Football final games starting in 2023? They will do great and it will be a lot better venue to watch in and broadcast from for TV.

Are we on the brink of seeing several major conference reshuffled and changed that could have major implications for the 2024 season and beyond? Yes. Top end talent is getting better and the midlevel schools cannot keep so they are going to continue to be shuffling. I feel the IHSA for all "major" sports would be best off to go to a district model for conference play.

Can we ever find a way to slow the increasingly dangerous shortage of refs? Yes. Referees need not to start getting paid better. Lets talk about a Friday night game. The games usually take 2.5 hours plus the officials need to be there a minimum 30 minutes early. Plus you figure 30 minute commute to and from. You are talking about a 4 hour commitment....plus. I would say the minimum for a game at any level should be $150.00.

Will we continue to see more and more small enrollment schools find their way to 8 man football? And how much longer before the IHSA accepts and welcomes in 8 Man football to it's playoff series? Yes we will see more and more and i personally feel that levels below the top division in the CPS should be playing 8 man football. How long till the IHSA accepts it? There are currently 45 schools that participate in boys gymnastics, I would say get close to that number and the IHSA will start to pay more attention.

No the IHSA does not care about who makes it to what round, they care about crowing a Champion.

They can replace it yes but I doubt they will be as talented.

I feel they will have a set back for a few years but will find their way. (Learning curve)

Penalty...or the loss of Charlie Bliss? They will still be successful in conference but I am going to say 2nd round playoff exit.

Which major power program could slip in 2023? Or will we again see the same ole same ole powers winning big? Loyola (See above). Bolngbrook (loss of a coach that was good for the community). Maine South (loss of Bliss). Lake Zurich (lost a lot of talent and cupboard is pretty empty).

Which team bubbling under makes a big move up in 2023? Hersey (seems to be A LOT of talent in Arlington Heights).

How will Illinois State do hosting the IHSA State Football final games starting in 2023? They will do great and it will be a lot better venue to watch in and broadcast from for TV.

Are we on the brink of seeing several major conference reshuffled and changed that could have major implications for the 2024 season and beyond? Yes. Top end talent is getting better and the midlevel schools cannot keep so they are going to continue to be shuffling. I feel the IHSA for all "major" sports would be best off to go to a district model for conference play.

Can we ever find a way to slow the increasingly dangerous shortage of refs? Yes. Referees need not to start getting paid better. Lets talk about a Friday night game. The games usually take 2.5 hours plus the officials need to be there a minimum 30 minutes early. Plus you figure 30 minute commute to and from. You are talking about a 4 hour commitment....plus. I would say the minimum for a game at any level should be $150.00.

Will we continue to see more and more small enrollment schools find their way to 8 man football? And how much longer before the IHSA accepts and welcomes in 8 Man football to it's playoff series? Yes we will see more and more and i personally feel that levels below the top division in the CPS should be playing 8 man football. How long till the IHSA accepts it? There are currently 45 schools that participate in boys gymnastics, I would say get close to that number and the IHSA will start to pay more attention.
The idea of all the fringe Chicago Public League teams should play 8-man football would seem to make sense from the competitive point of view.
But the issue is not just competitiveness. It's total enrollment.
The 27 schools that played 8-man football in Illinois last year had no school with more than 310 enrollment.
I looked up last year's enrollment figures for the 32 Chicago Public League teams that were NOT eligible for the IHSA playoffs which is the list I presume is referred to as not being in the top (Red) division of the CPL.
Of the 32 schools, here is the enrollment breakdown:
8 had fewer than 300 students, with 203 being the smallest.
3 had enrollments ranging from 314 to 331.
3 had enrollments ranging from 408 to 497.
3 had enrollments ranging from 546-558.
4 had enrollments ranging from 653 to 697.
1 had an enrollment of 721.
1 had an enrollment of 863.
2 had enrollments ranging from 944 to 972.
5 had enrollments ranging from 1,068 to 1,440.
2 had enrollments ranging from 1,717 to 1,835.
Where does the IHSA draw the line on enrollment. I totally agree that these 32 schools likely would benefit from the 8-man game. But how does that fit in with the current situation of basically all 8-man teams have 310 kids or less?
And where do you want to draw the line on 8-man football?
Waukegan High's football team is 0-48 in 7 years of conference football games in the North Suburban Conference. Before joining the NSC, it had lost 24 consecutive division games in its previous league, the Central Suburban South. That's a current conference losing streak of 72 games.
Surely, the Bulldogs could benefit from playing 8-man football, don't you think? And that's a school with an enrollment of more than 4,400 kids. How would that fit into the IHSA plan facing Alden-Hebron?
It just looks like while 8-man football makes logical sense, the logistics just don't seem to really add up at this time.
And if not Waukegan, what about Urbana, with its 1,100-plus kids and unable to field an 11-man team.
Boys gymnastics works with 45 schools because they are 45 BIG schools, and gym is an individual sport (yes, there's team scoring and team titles earned) but the athletes compete independent of each other. The top rings performer doesn't need three teammates blocking for him on the rings to earn a victory. Football is the ultimate team sport and in football, enrollment matters. If it didn't, we'd have four classes of football just like four classes of basketball. I mean there are 200 more schools playing hoops than football. and half the number of classes. based on enrollment.

Different question. I totally agree with you but I know people who would prefer TV.
I've been arguing for some time now that within 3-5 years IHSA TV will be all streaming. Every other sports entity has been going more and more streaming ....regional sport networks are dying and we are seeing less and less bandwidth devoted to sports ESPECIALLY prep sports.

Reactions: ChiTown Chuggers
All.... Olderbytheminute fwiw Urbana is back fielding a varsity team this year. Also an update. St Anne out of Barrington will play eight man this year. The school will have a new stadium by the start of the season. The HC will be Coach Rood. He was slated to take the Bishop Mac job after Coach Zinanni retired after the 2021 season coming over from their middle school. That didn't work out and now he will lead the Cardinals. Ratsy

Last edited:
Reactions: rocketnation
I've been arguing for some time now that within 3-5 years IHSA TV will be all streaming. Every other sports entity has been going more and more streaming ....regional sport networks are dying and we are seeing less and less bandwidth devoted to sports ESPECIALLY prep sports.
I think that's true. I also know people (especially people who are in rural areas, which will disproportionately create small teams and 8-man teams) who don't have great internet connections and aren't tech savvy so they'd prefer TV. Bit of a brave new world we live in.

ESL might only have 1500 lbs on the line, and they will not be as successful off the bat as a senior laden line. My guess is two of the kids who start still have FBS offers by career end. MM and those dudes were special tho

Reactions: flyerforlife
This is Mt Carmels year to sweep with more ease than usually expected

This is Mt Carmels year to sweep with more ease than usually expected
You're probably right. Their talent level will be about the same, while Loyola, ESL and Rita could have a slight dip.

Last edited:
Which team bubbling under makes a big move up in 2023? Hersey (seems to be A LOT of talent in Arlington Heights
The Mid Suburban breaks thru in the next 2 years and wins one or more state titles for the first time since 2005. Hersey, Prospect and Palatine will all be in the hunt is 2023 and 2024. Especially with teams like Loyola and Maine South in flux.

The Mid Suburban breaks thru in the next 2 years and wins one or more state titles for the first time since 2005. Hersey, Prospect and Palatine will all be in the hunt is 2023 and 2024. Especially with teams like Loyola and Maine South in flux.
Palatine for sure has a great shot. Hersey and Prospect no way with MC in 7A.

All.... Olderbytheminute fwiw Urbana is back fielding a varsity team this year. Also an update. St Anne out of Barrington will play eight man this year. The school will have a new stadium by the start of the season. The HC will be Coach Rood. He was slated to take the Bishop Mac job after Coach Zinanni retired after the 2021 season coming over from their middle school. That didn't work out and now he will lead the Cardinals. Ratsy
St Anne in Barrington is a k-8 catholic grade school. St Anne High School is a public high school located in kankakee County and is located SE of kankakee.

St Anne in Barrington is a k-8 catholic grade school. St Anne High School is a public high school located in kankakee County and is located SE of kankakee.
St.Anne has enrollment of 175, which certainly fits into the 8-man perameters for school size.
Does Illinois 8-man football play on same size pitch as 11-man game. I think I read that some states play with an 80-yard field that is narrower than the normal 11-man field. If the field is smaller does it require more lines painted on field, kind of like some hoops courts which have different 3 point lines for high school games, college women games and college men games.

Pretty sure he left St. Anne to.

Question (more like something I’m watching) I have heading into the year is are we
going to see more teams, that should have no problem fielding a team, drop football?

Ala Rock Island Alleman and Sandwich.

Pretty sure he left St. Anne to.
All.... Should of known the Catholics couldn't come up with 5.3 mil. (lol) Here is the article. The school wants to play football. Hope they have a coach. Ratsy

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
Question (more like something I’m watching) I have heading into the year is are we
going to see more teams, that should have no problem fielding a team, drop football?

Ala Rock Island Alleman and Sandwich.
All..... I don't know about that but more schools every year continue not having a freshman or sophomore team along with the varsity.

Fielding only a freshman/soph squad with the varsity is happening as well. Ratsy

Last edited:
Reactions: colin2229
Fremd should re-emerge in a year or two as well

To answer the question about 8-man field size:
The field is 40 yards across rather than 53 1/3. That’s a simple enough change as it only involves marking the field differently (or using tape for sidelines on a turf field). Ideally the field is 80 yards between end zones rather than 100. Sometimes you can’t do that because the goalposts are installed where they are, so in those cases you just play it on the 100-yard field anyway.

St.Anne has enrollment of 175, which certainly fits into the 8-man perameters for school size.
Does Illinois 8-man football play on same size pitch as 11-man game. I think I read that some states play with an 80-yard field that is narrower than the normal 11-man field. If the field is smaller does it require more lines painted on field, kind of like some hoops courts which have different 3 point lines for high school games, college women games and college men games.
St Anne is in a coop with Donovan HS, which has about 80 kids.. not that it really matters

And Rood left Mac for financial reasons , will build a program and they are currently installing turf..

Reactions: EdgyTim
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT