ADVERTISEMENT

Barrington 42 Maine South 40 Final

Lots of action.

Barrington just had to punt as well. Hawks with good field position already up 13-7. Will be tough for the Broncos if MS goes up 2 scores.

Coines to Agosta is a thing. MS goes for 2 and doesn’t get it 26-14 6:23 2nd.

Piepert to Nahza is a thing too. Barrington drive stalls. They’re a bit more reliant on the pass.

Coines overthrows Agosta. Guess who’s right there-Nahza. Quick strike after the turnover Piepert to number 7. Wow.

Barrington Huge option pitch on 4th and 2 , big gain for the first, penalty negates it. 4th and 7 Piepert to Nahza again. Short of the 1st. MS ball 3:24 on their own 30. MS fumble Barrington advances the fumble inside the 5. Barrington TD pass. XP blocked. 42-33 2:13 left

Reactions: LakeCtyNewt
Of all the games this weekend, next to the JCA score, this is the game I'm shocked by the most..

Barrington is historically a massive underachieving program in the playoffs.

Congratulations to the Broncos...

MS made mistakes (2 turnovers, 2 missed PATs, blocked FG, penalties, etc) and gave up 499 yards passing and 42 points, so there is plenty to point to for the MS loss. I also know the MS coaching staff would never make excuses for a loss. Barrington showed amazing heart and made plays to win the game.

But the untold story of this game is that Barrington knew the MS offensive signals and B's coaches were literally yelling out every single play to their defense as it was being signaled in from the sideline by MS. Watching the replay you can see how B's defense was jumping a bunch of the plays in the second half. Maybe not a surprise that MS's offense stalled a few times in the second half (and had their biggest plays coming out of timeouts when no signals needed).

Not saying this is illegal or even suggesting it's unsportsmanslike. Just a fact that influenced the game. And interesting given that sign-stealing has been a hot topic of late.

Reactions: ChiTown Chuggers
So did anyone hear the Barrington coaches yelling the plays to their defense during the game? And down and distance and formation and 11 weeks of film can lead to educated guesses for opposing staffs

MS made mistakes (2 turnovers, 2 missed PATs, blocked FG, penalties, etc) and gave up 499 yards passing and 42 points, so there is plenty to point to for the MS loss. I also know the MS coaching staff would never make excuses for a loss. Barrington showed amazing heart and made plays to win the game.

But the untold story of this game is that Barrington knew the MS offensive signals and B's coaches were literally yelling out every single play to their defense as it was being signaled in from the sideline by MS. Watching the replay you can see how B's defense was jumping a bunch of the plays in the second half. Maybe not a surprise that MS's offense stalled a few times in the second half (and had their biggest plays coming out of timeouts when no signals needed).

Not saying this is illegal or even suggesting it's unsportsmanslike. Just a fact that influenced the game. And interesting given that sign-stealing has been a hot topic of late.
Barrington won, we didn't! It sucks! But I'm not going to take anything away from them.

Where are you getting this info from?

So did anyone hear the Barrington coaches yelling the plays to their defense during the game? And down and distance and formation and 11 weeks of film can lead to educated guesses for opposing staffs
Yes. Some incredible "guessing" if so.
Barrington won, we didn't! It sucks! But I'm not going to take anything away from them.

Where are you getting this info from?
Not taking anything away from Barrington, they won.

Stood next to the coaches the entire game. Nothing looked out of the ordinary.

The amount of film study is nuts guys. There’s a coach dedicated to potential playoff opponents for most schools.

Yes. Some incredible "guessing" if so.
It’s sort of a gift then if it was heard in real time as hand signals or card signals are delivered. Next time they had to punt or turnover on downs, switch the signal play with its constraint play. And scoring 40 on them (maybe there were defense or special team scores), doesn’t seem the “guessing” or “stealing” was as good as you made it out to be. Or MS staff, which is one of the best in the business, countered with their constraint plays. Don’t know. But a 40 burger is a 40 burger even if tippin pitches.

What is your basis for this opinion? If they were jumping the routes in the 2nd half it's probably because in the first half MS ran slant routes to death without ever going over the top. Sounds like smart defensive play to me. In any event, both teams scored 40 points and there was over 1000 yards of offense combined. I don't think knowing defensive signals was the story here.

They knew the plays and still gave up 40 points?

What is your basis for this opinion? If they were jumping the routes in the 2nd half it's probably because in the first half MS ran slant routes to death without ever going over the top. Sounds like smart defensive play to me. In any event, both teams scored 40 points and there was over 1000 yards of offense combined. I don't think knowing defensive signals was the story here.
Lots of reasons B won and MS lost. My original post acknowledged that. B QB and #1 were otherworldly in that game, and other B players made huge plays. You don't have to believe it or think it influenced the game, but B knowing and calling out MS's offensive signals (in real time as they were being signaled in, not after in formation and "guessing" tendencies) happened.

Lots of reasons B won and MS lost. My original post acknowledged that. B QB and #1 were otherworldly in that game, and other B players made huge plays. You don't have to believe it or think it influenced the game, but B knowing and calling out MS's offensive signals (in real time as they were being signaled in, not after in formation and "guessing" tendencies) happened.
Again what’s your basis for this opinion?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT