ADVERTISEMENT

You can hire an OC & DC, who do you pick?

guerinfbfan

Sep 25, 2005
Given all the coaching news going on at all levels of football today let's have some fun.

You're the head coach of ???? high school. You can hire any current or former hc, oc, or dc from IHSA past or present.

Who are you hiring and why?

I will confine myself to the present to narrow the choices. I would take a long, hard look at former LWNorth (closed) Head Coach George Czart, currently a varsity assistant @ LWWest. His successful experiences in leading a high profile program through a 12-month calendar year would be most valuable. George spent many seasons as a DC, yet has expertise in the other 2 game phases. Finally, he has coached in many big, close games and is smart enough to have taught AP Calculus level courses.

Reactions: Bwm57
Bob Shannon (Flyers) - national champs. His integrity.

Inserra/Holecek (MS/LA) - I’m torn!

I would have to have Derek Leonard from Rochester and I think he would make a lot of lists as either the HC or OC. I'd take Frank Lenti as my DC.

Why? Because I'd like to win state championships.

Reactions: Wassup13
OC- John Thorne WWS
It’s a homer pick but the guy went to 6 state title games in 9 seasons under the 6 class system and he used different offense every year. He would evaluate his talent and build an offense around it. He won a state title running the split back veer option and the shot gun spread, not many coaches can say that.

DC- Brian Stortz. LZ
I’m not sure if he was the DC while at LZ but who ever ran his defenses was excellent at taking away the offenses strength, not to mention how well they played team defense.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
OC- John Thorne WWS
It’s a homer pick but the guy went to 6 state title games in 9 seasons under the 6 class system and he used different offense every year. He would evaluate his talent and build an offense around it. He won a state title running the split back veer option and the shot gun spread, not many coaches can say that.

DC- Brian Stortz. LZ
I’m not sure if he was the DC while at LZ but who ever ran his defenses was excellent at taking away the offenses strength, not to mention how well they played team defense.

That was Proffitt. Great defensive mind. I like Stortz but it will be interesting to see if he can win at Conant without the talent that he had at LZ.

I like your Thorne pick. I didn't know that he would switch up his offenses like that. Interesting.

Interesting question. My first thought, what school am I at? My OC choice will depend upon what I think my talent can support, which is different if I'm at a 1A school versus a 5A or bigger. Most smaller consistent winners rely upon a power run...

Normal Small school OC choices: Dick Duval, St. Joe Ogden;
Jeff Reents, Wilmington;
Scott Hamilton, Tolono Unity

Passing Small school OC: RJ Haines, Manteno

Why these? First three are great small school coaches who can work with their talent, power running the focus...Haines took Iroquois West to a state title, consistent at Manteno despite so many potential receivers playing on a powerful soccer squad...

DC: No matter the size the school, John Holocek certainly could develop some backers....Reents would probably be a better DC than OC

big school OC? What system do I want to run:
Power I: Rich Zinanni, McNamara
Veer: Lenti, MC
Spread: Otto Zeman, Riverside Brookfield (despite his Westmont stay)

Interesting question. My first thought, what school am I at? My OC choice will depend upon what I think my talent can support, which is different if I'm at a 1A school versus a 5A or bigger. Most smaller consistent winners rely upon a power run...

Normal Small school OC choices: Dick Duval, St. Joe Ogden;
Jeff Reents, Wilmington;
Scott Hamilton, Tolono Unity

Passing Small school OC: RJ Haines, Manteno

Why these? First three are great small school coaches who can work with their talent, power running the focus...Haines took Iroquois West to a state title, consistent at Manteno despite so many potential receivers playing on a powerful soccer squad...

DC: No matter the size the school, John Holocek certainly could develop some backers....Reents would probably be a better DC than OC

big school OC? What system do I want to run:
Power I: Rich Zinanni, McNamara
Veer: Lenti, MC
Spread: Otto Zeman, Riverside Brookfield (despite his Westmont stay)
Otto? Really? You must not like winning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT