ADVERTISEMENT

You came to Carmel as a girl ...

Several posters have used the expression, "De La Salle Lab."

I've never heard of that and I couldn't find anything through Google.

Is this some separate branch of good old DLS? and how does it differ?

Thanks
De LA Salle
U of C Lab School

Different schools

Lab School is growing in a big way. If that area does boom, the competition is there with the options.

The new issues for all schools is crime, population shift from Chicago/IL and the economy. Nothing is favoring private schools except school choice but teacher unions will fight to the death on that.

There is an invisible comma between DLS, Lab. He means UofC Lab school, whose tuition of $38,000 may make MC more attractive to some residents of Hyde Park.
$38K is sticker

Iggy is looking at tuition optional.

Schools with large endowments are a different breed.

$38K is sticker

This year provides a poor illustration due to record inflation, but if there was a plan that let some people pay a 9th grade and subsequent tuition that was their parish' natural increase with the extra grade rather than the near doubling they see from 8th to Freshman...

I think it makes sense for MC assuming they have the facilities. My only concern is if it think puts any all girls schools out of business, especially McAuley which athletic tradition is as good if not better than Carmel's.

$38K is sticker

They have massive financial aid available. I have a nephew who went to Lab after 8th years in a catholic grammar school. His family paid less per year at Lab.

If you aren't an athlete (or an athlete in certain non-rev sports) and are in the south side area, it is a definite consideration. It compete with Carmel and Rita much more than you think

They have massive financial aid available. I have a nephew who went to Lab after 8th years in a catholic grammar school. His family paid less per year at Lab.

If you aren't an athlete (or an athlete in certain non-rev sports) and are in the south side area, it is a definite consideration. It compete with Carmel and Rita much more than you think

Most financial aid goes to the academically qualified. There are hordes of people who work at UC and in the surrounding neighborhood whose kids may not make the cut at Lab. MC could be a safety school for them.

Reactions: Gene K.
To me this reads as if the bread has been prepared and is ready for the oven:
Block Club Chicago basically copy and pasted the Sun Times article. More will be known in the upcoming weeks until then the only thing I can tell you, as far as this site goes, is that we are going to have a real good football team this year!

The honors class at Carmel is as good as any in the city.

Last edited:
I really don't care one way or the other if MC goes coed, but I give them tons of credit for exploring a controversial option that would almost assuredly put the school on an even stronger footing. That is what good leadership does, even if it pisses some people off. It's much better to examine coeducation from a position of strength, as they are, instead of as a desperate measure to stop the bleeding.

For decades here on this board, I have been saying that many Catholic schools are in the process of experiencing death by a thousand cuts, and they won't realize it until they are so weak that even substantial change can't stop the bleeding. Look what happened to Seton. Same with Guerin and Holy Cross. Those schools waited too long to make the change, and now they are pushing up the daisies.

I have also been saying that all Catholic schools are going through a Darwinian process. Schools that don't adapt and evolve well will die...plain and simple. We've seen it happen time after time after time. Without timely and substantive changes, to think that things will somehow turn around on their own is burying your head in the sand.

Assuming a coed MC will happen, what will that mean for other Catholic schools in the area? How many daughters of Caravan alumni will go to MC in Woodlawn instead of enrolling at McAuley, Ignatius, DLS, Marist, Laurence, Marian Catholic, and Andrean? Will this negatively impact an already tiny SFDS? Will MC alumni on the south side and surrounding suburbs who want single gender education for their sons send their boys to Rita, Rice, or Leo...or is their connection to MC so strong that going coed won't matter? Will the net effect of a coed MC be to grow the market, or will it just distribute the existing deck of cards differently? Enquiring minds want to know!

Well i agree that it is probably the right thing for Carmel, I think this puts SFDS and McAuley out of business in under three years.

I heard somewhere that nearly 25% of Carmel families have or will have a daughter attending McAuley.

SFDS is only open because of the Big Shoulders fund. Should have closed a decade ago.

Reactions: McCaravan
Most financial aid goes to the academically qualified. There are hordes of people who work at UC and in the surrounding neighborhood whose kids may not make the cut at Lab. MC could be a safety school for them.

In terms of financial aid, Lab is need blind. Generally, if your family makes under $70k per year its almost free, under $125k, its no more than $10k.

Admissions are very hard, especially if you aren't an elementary student at lab. For 9th grade admissions rate is under 10%. Most families serious about lab, get their kid in early.

They do lose some kids to Carmel in high school, but it is mostly boys who want to play football.

Well i agree that it is probably the right thing for Carmel, I think this puts SFDS and McAuley out of business in under three years.

I heard somewhere that nearly 25% of Carmel families have or will have a daughter attending McAuley.
This is a bold statement
You taking action on this ?

Something else I just thought about...

Are there boys from MC alumni families attending Catholic coed schools like Marist, Laurence, PC, DLS, Marian Catholic, and Andrean because they don't want to attend a single gender school? Would those boys attend a coed MC? I have no idea what kind of a number we are looking at, but could it add up? This speaks to my earlier question about if this move will grow the market or will it just deal the existing deck differently?

McAuley isn't going down if MC goes co-ed.

Something else I just thought about...

Are there boys from MC alumni families attending Catholic coed schools like Marist, Laurence, PC, DLS, Marian Catholic, and Andrean because they don't want to attend a single gender school? Would those boys attend a coed MC? I have no idea what kind of a number we are looking at, but could it add up? This speaks to my earlier question about if this move will grow the market or will it just deal the existing deck differently?
Numerically the female MC marketcould grow, but I think the female base, at least at first, would resemble CPS SES, DLS, SFDS and Lab and be less a copy of the parishes. That might play into some parental tiebreaking.

Before the rumors fly, they sent word that it is being brought up as ONLY a possibility, and are looking for feedback from Alums and Families. Which I believe are extremely against it as of right now. It’s just up for discussion!! And for the record, I’m very much against it.
I hear you. I was adamantly against LA going co-ed early on and there was a lot of resistance from alums. Ultimately, it was pushed through and I think for the betterment of the school. It opens up a lot of avenues and, frankly, gives access to more networks. I am certain it will not be an easy decision for MC, but at the end of the day, if it makes the kids more well-rounded with better opportunities and MC continues with their excellent reputation/ execution, I would be in favor. That's just an outsiders perspective though!

Reactions: Gene K.
I hear you. I was adamantly against LA going co-ed early on and there was a lot of resistance from alums. Ultimately, it was pushed through and I think for the betterment of the school. It opens up a lot of avenues and, frankly, gives access to more networks. I am certain it will not be an easy decision for MC, but at the end of the day, if it makes the kids more well-rounded with better opportunities and MC continues with their excellent reputation/ execution, I would be in favor. That's just an outsiders perspective though!
Interesting take. I think that your experience is probably similar to a lot of Rambler alumni. Many were adamantly against coed. Of those that were, I think that a significant percentage have softened that adamant view to varying degrees. I can't think of any that were in favor of it at the beginning that aren't now.

Reactions: lookoutforliam
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT