ADVERTISEMENT

York Legend Joe Newton Passed Away . . .

Wittymoniker1

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2007
La Grange Park, IL
today, I believe. I know this is a football forum, but he was a legend at Elmhurst York for Cross Country. I believe he only retired recently? He was 88 years old.

He was considered one of the greatest track and cross country coaches this state has ever had. In terms of cross country he is considered one of the best ever nationally winning 28 state titles. Great great man.

today, I believe. I know this is a football forum, but he was a legend at Elmhurst York for Cross Country. I believe he only retired recently? He was 88 years old.

He retired last November. Great coach, mentor and program builder in track and field and XC. I saw him at a ton of track meets and he was always filled with alot of energy. EVeryone I knew who knew him said he was loved by his kids.

If you are ever in the York HS building, take a trip to the trophy case area in the athletic wing and be prepared to get blown away by the volume of state-level hardware displayed from cross-country and track/field, most of it on his watch. He turned the "Long Green Line" into a "Long Gold Line" of championships.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT