ADVERTISEMENT

Yet another referee question.

TPF523

Sep 8, 2014
if the result of a play is that the clock runs (ie inbounds and short of first down) then what types of penalties would stop that clock?

exactly
the clock status is a result of the play, or in other words if the penalty is what caused the clock to stop it will start on the ready for play

except certain situations, especially with less then 2 minutes in either half

a little complicated to explain

So less than 2 minutes and one team is running out the clock, they get called for a hold during a play that resulted in ball carrier being tackled in bounds. Does the clock stop or run on the ready?

If the clocked stopped because of the penalty it would start on the ready, unless the offended coach accepts the penalty and elects to start the clock on the snap

Last edited:
Reactions: Chief321
Yes unless the coach of the offended team does not want it to.
That makes perfect sense, but has it always been that way? I seem to remember it beings that the clock would run regardless of the penalty.

I edited my answer trying to be a little clearer. That is actually new this year. In the pass it was why did the clock stop? That would dictate when it starts. If the runner went OOB or incomplete pass it would start on the snap as that is what led to the clock stopping

I edited my answer trying to be a little clearer. That is actually new this year. In the pass it was why did the clock stop? That would dictate when it starts. If the runner went OOB or incomplete pass it would start on the snap as that is what led to the clock stopping
I think I got you and it makes sense... If the penalty is accepted this year the clock starts on the snap, in the past the clock would start on the ready?

I think I got you and it makes sense... If the penalty is accepted this year the clock starts on the snap, in the past the clock would start on the ready?
Only if the previous play dictated that it would run on the ready (EX...I have the ball and am trailing while the defense has committed a 15 yard PF facemask and the play ends inbounds. If the line to gain was met we would wind on the ready in the past after the chains were set. Now I can choose to wind on the snap if we are inside of 2 minutes of either half.)

Not necessarily , The coach could want it to run. If he is winning he probably does. Outside of 2 minutes it is normal. Always is decided by clock status before the penalty.

Not necessarily , The coach could want it to run. If he is winning he probably does. Outside of 2 minutes it is normal. Always is decided by clock status before the penalty.
That's why I added "can choose" to my example...you sir are correct.

Offensive team is leading by 3 under 2 mins left, running out clock. Offensive team is called for a hold but the ball carrier was tackled in bounds. The refs stop the clock of course to call penalty and it starts on the snap not on the ready. This is now legal this year and wasn’t in previous years?

Offensive team is leading by 3 under 2 mins left, running out clock. Offensive team is called for a hold but the ball carrier was tackled in bounds. The refs stop the clock of course to call penalty and it starts on the snap not on the ready. This is now legal this year and wasn’t in previous years?
Yes, that's the change, the offended team had a choice for it to start on the snap and took it.

Yes the defensive coach can now ask for the clock to start on the snap.

Awesome so I’m not crazy lol, thanks guys for the response, sorry I wasn’t more clear initially.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT