ADVERTISEMENT

WSS wk 5

kitty_bintingot

Gold Member
Aug 10, 2017
The race for playoff berth begins, just as I breathe a sigh of relief as the Cubs hats in my area are starting to disappear. Congrats to the Cards and Brewers.

GOW: DGN @ HC: DGN preseason excitement deflated by the loss to York. Cassens is for real and he knows how to manage that run heavy attack classic Wander-style. But I don't see them beating the Red Devils at home, especially as QB1 is really starting to settle in: DGN 10 HC 28

York @ GW: Happy to see York with a chance to make the playoffs. But they get no help at Duchon. GW will run easy. Interested to see if they can't run effectively on a seasoned dark side: York 7 GW 35

PW @ LT: Hartman gets another win: PW 12 LT 28

OPRF @ Morton: OP begins the long road to playoffs: OP 48 Morton 7

WSG GOW: Leyden @ Proviso East: Will the Pirates get to 5 wins? This is a nice story to following the WSC this year. I think they get it done: Leyden 14 PE 28

Don't have time to compute records this week but I'm keeping track.

All thoughts comments questions welcome. Thanks everyone.

I watched some Cassens highlights and got some serious Edwards vibes. Is he related somehow?

I watched some Cassens highlights and got some serious Edwards vibes. Is he related somehow?
He's not related I don't think but I too get some Edwards vibes (at least the most recent Edwards from 2012-2013---I'm too young really to remember 04).

He's not related I don't think but I too get some Edwards vibes (at least the most recent Edwards from 2012-2013---I'm too young really to remember 04).
Lol I thought you were older. I was thinking about the two Edwards before the 2012 one. They played QB and safety too and had a similar stature.

Nice write up Kitty!

HC 24-DGN 21.
GW 42 York 12.
LT 21 PW 6
OPRF 37 Morton 14
PE 18 Leyden 15

HC @ DGN

Cassens 21 - HC 12

York @ GBW

GBW (not their JV) 35 - York 0
Just get through this game York...healthy. Do not do anything other than delay of game, run, delay of game, run, delay of game, run. If you get cute, Hetlet will put 60 on you. Remember, this is the Game from Last year that Yorks HC couldnt recover from mentally. With that, he's about to go back into counseling. Get through it...and move on.

LT @ PW

LT 17 - PW 7

OPRF @ Morton

OPRF 27 - Morton 14

Leyden @ Pirates

Pirates 36 - Leyden 14

With this Pirates win, they will be well on their way to the Big Dance. What Class is PE?

Reactions: kitty_bintingot
HC v DGN- this game will be closer than most think. Cassens is an athlete who is keep it close and look for a possible upset, but HC gets the nod with a better all around team

GW v York- GW rolls in this game by 24 pts

LT v PW- Look for LT to score some points(30+) in this game and beat PW by 25. The players win this game and Hartman coaches it.

OPRF v Morton- A good game for OP to get back and track and prepare for a run the last four weeks where they win 3 of the last 4.

PE v Leyden- This is the game that define PE’s season if they can pull out the win I believe they get 5 and make it into the 6A playoff bracket.

HC v DGN- this game will be closer than most think. Cassens is an athlete who is keep it close and look for a possible upset, but HC gets the nod with a better all around team

GW v York- GW rolls in this game by 24 pts

LT v PW- Look for LT to score some points(30+) in this game and beat PW by 25. The players win this game and Hartman coaches it.

OPRF v Morton- A good game for OP to get back and track and prepare for a run the last four weeks where they win 3 of the last 4.

PE v Leyden- This is the game that define PE’s season if they can pull out the win I believe they get 5 and make it into the 6A playoff bracket.
Thanks for letting me know...6A...they make it, its a bad 1st round game for a 9-0 team.

HC 17 DGN 14 .
GW 35 York 3
LT 28 PW 10
OPRF 34 Morton 6
Leyden 14 PE 10

DGN is primed to upset, but I think HC holds on.

I really want to see the Mud at GBW tomorrow. Maybe Yorks Head Coach will throw even more with the Mud. Just sayin....

Since none of the other four games were played last night, I can offer my picks this morning:

GAME OF THE WEEK: DGN at HC - HC 24, DGN 14. Cassens and the Trojans keep it close, but not quite enough to pull out the upset win. Contreras seems to have developed nice chemistry with HC QB1; look for that to continue.

GW 35, YORK 14 - Dukes in too tough at Duchon. Hitters keep rolling.

LT 34, PW 6 - Lions get nice win for Homecoming.

OPRF 42, MORTON 14 - Huskies' offense finally gets much-needed breakout game.

PE 28, LEYDEN 21 - Pirates turning into a nice story, and it keeps going with another W.

I wonder how Duchon held up.
The field held up well, all things considered.

The Dukes threw the ball all afternoon. I commented to a friend before the game that GW would have more interceptions than York TDs. GW had 4 picks to Yorks 1 TD. The Dukes really hurt themselves by not running more. Their pass game is just okay, but they seem to think it's all the have. I thought GW could/should have had 3 more picks. But that's HS football.

York got some big boosts from GW penalties, like 2 chop blocks, 2 defensive holding calls, and on offense, GW had lots of holding calls. York played a very clean game.

York D...kinda got run over today. I thought GW passed the ball well when they passed, which I'd attribute to their work over the last 3 weeks.

Reactions: Magnum Opus
Duchon had a tarp on last couple days until late this morning... from 20 to 20 long and between hashes wide...so the middle of field was protected and relatively dry.

A note on the York interceptions...not all on the QB's shoulder/arm...they had him throwing across the field directly into a very stiff wind on two of those...not the smartest call IMHO.

The field held up well, all things considered.

The Dukes threw the ball all afternoon. I commented to a friend before the game that GW would have more interceptions than York TDs. GW had 4 picks to Yorks 1 TD. The Dukes really hurt themselves by not running more. Their pass game is just okay, but they seem to think it's all the have. I thought GW could/should have had 3 more picks. But that's HS football.

York got some big boosts from GW penalties, like 2 chop blocks, 2 defensive holding calls, and on offense, GW had lots of holding calls. York played a very clean game.

York D...kinda got run over today. I thought GW passed the ball well when they passed, which I'd attribute to their work over the last 3 weeks.
Yorks Head Coach is completely screwing these kids. What you wrote above is EXACTLY what I've been saying since the last WSS Thread from last season. The QBs Dad has some type of a strong influence on York's HC....he has to...and the both of them are putting this QB into a near unrecoverable situation. I feel for the kid. How can a Head Coach continously be this stupid???? Oh...dont blame the kids on defense...blame the D Coordinator. He is the worst ive seen in my 34 years of playing and coaching.

They will lose to Hinsdale...then have to beat WBrook or OPRF to become playoff eligible.

Same crap as last year...this Head Coach is a complete fraud!

Reactions: SoCliche
Yorks Head Coach is completely screwing these kids. What you wrote above is EXACTLY what I've been saying since the last WSS Thread from last season. The QBs Dad has some type of a strong influence on York's HC....he has to...and the both of them are putting this QB into a near unrecoverable situation. I feel for the kid. How can a Head Coach continously be this stupid???? Oh...dont blame the kids on defense...blame the D Coordinator. He is the worst ive seen in my 34 years of playing and coaching.

They will lose to Hinsdale...then have to beat WBrook or OPRF to become playoff eligible.

Or they just are not good. That seems to have been the case for the last decade plus.

If I remember correctly, York's first possession of the game featured the run, and it looked like they wanted to establish the running game early. They abandoned that idea in the next series, but got the TD a few series later (I think about 30 yards of that series was GW penalties). But I have to say, once York settled in on passing the ball, GW just sat back to wait for the INT. York moved the ball around through the air, but not very effectively.

I thought both teams handled the field and weather with few problems. I'm not sure where York goes from here, but without some focus on their running game they will struggle. I know the kids are trying, and they have some skills, but they've tied one arm behind their back.

Reactions: Gene K.
Or they just are not good. That seems to have been the case for the last decade plus.
I think they have some skills on the O side, but they seem to have self imposed some limits there. On D, they have some holes to fill. GW ran over them. Probably of couple of good D players, but not nearly enough today. I'm not trying to be overly critical of York, but I'm not sure they have made any improvements since week 1. I can understand why their fans are disappointed this season.

What is a realistic expectation for York? Glenbard and Hinsdale are way ahead of them. LT will be ahead of them once they are back on their feet since they have 4000 students. DGN has historically always had more success. Fighting for 5th place with OPRF sounds about right if you go back through the last 20 years.

I'm less concerned about the past and more concerned about today. I was just giving my opinion, fwiw, on the team. I think they have lots of things to improve on, just like GW has lots of thing to improve on. I am pretty sure the kids want to play better and the coaches must be frustrated now, too. But until they find a running game and make big improvements on defense, they are limiting their season to 9 games. That is less a judgement on them and more an assessment of the WSS.

Bottom line is this about York...there's a lot of talent there...not Naz ir GBW talent...but they should be a 6-3 team. If you want to beat York every year...be sure they keep their HC and DC.

There are some insanely good coaches there...Peters and Anderson are two guys that any program would be blessed to have. Both should be looking for new gigs next year as they are handcuffed by an aweful HC and DC. Both simply piss away any chance this team has. Willowbrook will out coach the HC and DC. OPRF is York's only hope.

York isnt talking National Championship...how about a simple 5-4 record and a playoff game? Two God aweful coaches prevent that....and the kids with talent get nothing for their efforts. Run the idiots out of town. Bring back Lecht...

What is a realistic expectation for York? Glenbard and Hinsdale are way ahead of them. LT will be ahead of them once they are back on their feet since they have 4000 students. DGN has historically always had more success. Fighting for 5th place with OPRF sounds about right if you go back through the last 20 years.
There is no reason York should not have 5 wins each year (at a minimum), good school, good community that support their Dukes, and good players that take coaching, work hard, and want to win. Now it comes down to putting them in position to win games, and create that expectation. If you have a big strong O line run the ball and mix in the pass. If you have an accurate Qb with solid playmakers throw the ball with a balance of running game. This is HS football, not big time college, not NFL. Don’t fall in love with systems that are run at higher levels with better players... do what works best for your team and adjust to your players. That’s what coaching is about.

There is no reason York should not have 5 wins each year (at a minimum), good school, good community that support their Dukes, and good players that take coaching, work hard, and want to win. Now it comes down to putting them in position to win games, and create that expectation. If you have a big strong O line run the ball and mix in the pass. If you have an accurate Qb with solid playmakers throw the ball with a balance of running game. This is HS football, not big time college, not NFL. Don’t fall in love with systems that are run at higher levels with better players... do what works best for your team and adjust to your players. That’s what coaching is about.
AMEN!!!

Looks like WSS week 6 got flushed...(wonder why??), so if you posted picks, might want to repost.

No time for expanding...
York
GBW
LT
OPRF
and PE

There are 2 levels of suck in the flush. Level 1 suck is when participants go against the rules by naming kids, etc. Level 2 suck is the indiscriminate nature of the flush (i.e., the entire thread vs the offending posts). Level 1 is really stupid and thoughtless. Level 2 is the nature of the beast (the rules are the rules) and is what we signed up for. Games coming up in a few hours, then on to next week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT