ADVERTISEMENT

WSC Season Predictions

RD_Watcher

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2019
Esteemed High School Football Commentors - specifically those interested in the West Suburban Conference and enjoy playing along in the weekly prediction thread,

As we enter the first Game Week of the season, I thought it might be fun to predict the SEASON outcome prior to the first games being played, then look back in November to see how we did.
I will be running a weekly prediction thread, as I did last year - but won't put that out until late Monday/ early Tuesday. I predict 6 teams making the playoffs - 3 from WSG (WB, DGS, HS), 3 from WSS (HC, York, GBW). I will not go so far to predict Playoff W/L at this time.

My predicted records for the season

WSG
Willowbrook 8-1 (lose to NND wk 1)
DGS 5-4
Hinsdale South 5-4
Morton 3-6
Leyden 2-7
AT 1-8
PE 0-9

WSS
Hinsdale Central 9-0 (very homer pick, yes I know...)
York 7-2 (lose to HC and WB)
GW 6-3 (lose to Marist wk 1, HC and York)
DGN 4-5
LT 4-5
OPRF 3-6
PW 2-7

Reactions: Hogs6576
Nice to be clamoring about the WSC!

Gold seems to be business as usual. The real scramble will be Silver.

Silver will come down to line play this season. York will lose to GW and HC. Don’t count out DGN and Lyons.

HC should win it… because GW freaks out every time they play them. GW is 2nd followed by York, DGN and/or LT.

York has great skill, but respectfully one of their thinnest O-Lines in years.
DGN and LT return a lot of good players, including linemen.

Big WSC fan. But Silver stands a chance to be a real mess… but also stands a chance to have 5 playoff off teams.

Nice to be clamoring about the WSC!

Gold seems to be business as usual. The real scramble will be Silver.

Silver will come down to line play this season. York will lose to GW and HC. Don’t count out DGN and Lyons.

HC should win it… because GW freaks out every time they play them. GW is 2nd followed by York, DGN and/or LT.

York has great skill, but respectfully one of their thinnest O-Lines in years.
DGN and LT return a lot of good players, including linemen.

Big WSC fan. But Silver stands a chance to be a real mess… but also stands a chance to have 5 playoff off teams.
I agree - Silver could be an absolute mess. HC has a very young OL - no Senior starters, but 2 Juniors who started as sophomores. However, also have 2 really good and strong sophomores. By the time HC faces off against York week 7 and GW week 9, they should be grizzled veterans.
We shall see how it pans out!

Esteemed High School Football Commentors - specifically those interested in the West Suburban Conference and enjoy playing along in the weekly prediction thread,

As we enter the first Game Week of the season, I thought it might be fun to predict the SEASON outcome prior to the first games being played, then look back in November to see how we did.
I will be running a weekly prediction thread, as I did last year - but won't put that out until late Monday/ early Tuesday. I predict 6 teams making the playoffs - 3 from WSG (WB, DGS, HS), 3 from WSS (HC, York, GBW). I will not go so far to predict Playoff W/L at this time.

My predicted records for the season

WSG
Willowbrook 8-1 (lose to NND wk 1)
DGS 5-4
Hinsdale South 5-4
Morton 3-6
Leyden 2-7
AT 1-8
PE 0-9

WSS
Hinsdale Central 9-0 (very homer pick, yes I know...)
GW 6-3 (lose to Marist wk 1, HC and York)
DGN 4-5
LT 4-5
OPRF 3-6
PW 2-7
LT 4-5? Did you look at the schedule? Who are the 5 teams you have beating them. 6-3 at the worst, with a good chance of 9-0.

RD, thanks for starting it off!
Going to be an intensely fun season in the WSC!

My season predictions

WSG
Willowbrook 9-0
Hinsdale South 5-4
DGS 4-5
Morton 3-6
Leyden 2-7
AT 1-8
PE 0-9

WSS
Hinsdale Central 8-2
GW 7-2 (lose to Marist wk 1 and York)
LT 5-4
DGN 3-6
OPRF 3-6
PW 1-8

LT 4-5? Did you look at the schedule? Who are the 5 teams you have beating them. 6-3 at the worst, with a good chance of 9-0.
You made a similar prediction last year. How did that turn out? 5-4 and a first round L in the playoffs.

How can they lose 5? Might be more of a question of how they get to 4 wins. For the Lions they luckily get Leyden and Addison Trail in the crossovers so those should be W’s along with PW. After that they could lose them all.

Buffalo Grove only lost to one team last year and that team was in the final four. That easily could be an L to start the season. York, Glenbard and HC should beat LT. DGN and OPRF are toss up games.

LT is the most underachieving football school in the state and it is not event really close. Over 4K enrollment and not much to show for it. Only 3 times in their history have they made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs and they have never made the final 4. 13-21 record. Almost every year they make it they are 6-3 or 5-4 and bounced after the first game. Can’t see this coach doing anything to change that.

I did look at the schedule... I have them losing to Buffalo Grove, DGN, HC, York and GW. Outside of a really good TE and OL/DT, I just didn’t see a lot of elite Varsity talent on LTs Varsity or Sophomore teams last year

That's the fun of this - nobody really knows right now. My 9-0 for HC is 100% homerism- more realistic is 8-1 or 7-2. LT going 9-0 would be downright shocking, and I’ll forever defer to your LT opinion of it were to happen.

Reactions: Hogs6576
Gold
WB 8-1
DGS 6-3
HS 4-5
Morton 3-6
AT 2-7
Leyden 1-8
PW 1-8

Silver
DGN 3-6
York 6-3
GBW 8-1
PW 1-8
HC 9-0
Lyons 4-5
OPRF 6-3

Last edited:
Reactions: RD_Watcher
I did look at the schedule... I have them losing to Buffalo Grove, DGN, HC, York and GW. Outside of a really good TE and OL/DT, I just didn’t see a lot of elite Varsity talent on LTs Varsity or Sophomore teams last year

That's the fun of this - nobody really knows right now. My 9-0 for HC is 100% homerism- more realistic is 8-1 or 7-2. LT going 9-0 would be downright shocking, and I’ll forever defer to your LT opinion of it were to happen.
Buffalo Grove has 3 starters back, OPRF didn't have a soph team last year. HC and GW are way down this year. It's a down year for the WSCS.

I wouldn’t say WSS is down this year. I think it’s more balanced and defense and line play will ultimately rule. My predictions for WSS:

GW 8-1/7-2 HC and Marist May beat them
Hinsdale Central 7-2
York 6-3 (lose to HC, GW and WB)
LT 6-3/5-4 (They’ve been quietly rebuilding and JB is one hell of a good coach)
DGN 3-6 (this team is a wild card… could also be 6-3)
OPRF 3-6 (who knows with these guys…can never get a good read on them….ever)
PW 1-8 Someday, something will take off here… most likely when their better players aren’t recruited away)

Buffalo Grove has 3 starters back, OPRF didn't have a soph team last year. HC and GW are way down this year. It's a down year for the WSCS.
Admittedly, I know little about Buffalo Grove.

Personally, I also believe GW is down this year, and have been vocal about that. HC has 11 returning starters, including an All-Conference QB. After seeing York Sophomore and Varsity play multiple games last year (GW, HC, and DGN), and hearing how good their JV team was, I believe they will be a force - probably more so than HC and GW.

Edgy Tim, Josh Weldge and even Big Pete all have a version of GW, HC and York winning the conference, and LT, DGN, and OPRF fighting it out for the next level of the WSS, and for a playoff spot. Edgy even has GW as a top 10 Chicagoland team. Yes, they mostly rely on programs being open with the media, and some coaches are better about that than others. They all also require clicks from different areas and demographics in order to drive revenue. But hey, what do guys who do this for a living know, right? They should just listen to us homers.

Edit - Edgy currently has GW at 4, York at 9 , and HC as an "others in no particular order" of his 8A first draft; and Willowbrook at 7 in his 7A first draft. No other WSC teams are listed.

Last edited:

My season predictions

WSG
Willowbrook 9-0
Hinsdale South 5-4
DGS 4-5
Morton 3-6
Leyden 2-7
AT 1-8
PE 0-9

WSS
Hinsdale Central 8-2
LT 5-4
DGN 3-6
OPRF 3-6
PW 1-8

Personally, I also believe GW is down this year, and have been vocal about that. HC has 11 returning starters, including an All-Conference QB. After seeing York Sophomore and Varsity play multiple games last year (GW, HC, and DGN), and hearing how good their JV team was, I believe they will be a force - probably more so than HC and GW.

Edgy Tim, Josh Weldge and even Big Pete all have a version of GW, HC and York winning the conference, and LT, DGN, and OPRF fighting it out for the next level of the WSS, and for a playoff spot. Edgy even has GW as a top 10 Chicagoland team. Yes, they mostly rely on programs being open with the media, and some coaches are better about that than others. They all also require clicks from different areas and demographics in order to drive revenue. But hey, what do guys who do this for a living know, right? They should just listen to us homers.
The last time LT had an undefeated regular season, was when the current QB's grandfather was the head coach. 6-0-2 in 1970.

My season predictions

WSG
Willowbrook 9-0
Hinsdale South 5-4
DGS 4-5
Morton 3-6
Leyden 2-7
AT 1-8
PE 0-9

WSS
Hinsdale Central 8-2
LT 5-4
DGN 3-6
OPRF 3-6
PW 1-8
You have Addison Trail beating Proviso East, which certainly could occur. However, for Addison Trail to then finish the season at 1-8 they would need to lose their opener against Maine East, which I believe is on something like a 40-game losing streak. That is a bold prediction.

Here is my guess for the season.

Silver
Glenbard West (6-0) 8-1
Hinsdale Central (5-1) 7-2
York (4-2) 7-2
Lyons Township (3-3) 5-4
Downers Grove North (2-4) 3-6
Oak Park - River Forest (1-5) 3-6
Proviso West (0-6) 2-7

Gold
Willowbrook (6-0) 7-2
Downers Grove South (5-1) 5-4
Hinsdale South (4-2) 4-5
Morton (3-3) 4-5
Leyden (2-4) 3-6
Addison Trail (1-5) 2-7
Proviso East (0-6) 0-9

My season predictions

WSG
Willowbrook 9-0
Hinsdale South 5-4
DGS 4-5
Morton 3-6
Leyden 2-7
AT 1-8
PE 0-9

WSS
Hinsdale Central 8-2
LT 5-4
DGN 3-6
OPRF 3-6
PW

Edit - Edgy currently has GW at 4, York at 9 , and HC as an "others in no particular order" of his 8A first draft; and Willowbrook at 7 in his 7A first draft. No other WSC teams are listed.

You have Addison Trail beating Proviso East, which certainly could occur. However, for Addison Trail to then finish the season at 1-8 they would need to lose their opener against Maine East, which I believe is on something like a 40-game losing streak. That is a bold prediction.

Here is my guess for the season.

Silver
Glenbard West (6-0) 8-1
Hinsdale Central (5-1) 7-2
York (4-2) 7-2
Lyons Township (3-3) 5-4
Downers Grove North (2-4) 3-6
Oak Park - River Forest (1-5) 3-6
Proviso West (0-6) 2-7

Gold
Willowbrook (6-0) 7-2
Downers Grove South (5-1) 5-4
Hinsdale South (4-2) 4-5
Morton (3-3) 4-5
Leyden (2-4) 3-6
Addison Trail (1-5) 2-7
Proviso East (0-6) 0-9
The word out here in northeast DuPage is that AT is still eroding and that week one could be a struggle. The Blue Demons will have their day and I’m betting it’s this week.

The word out here in northeast DuPage is that AT is still eroding and that week one could be a struggle. The Blue Demons will have their day and I’m betting it’s this week.
As a Blue Demons graduate I just might have to attend the game to see if the streak can be broken. They last won a game almost exactly five years ago against Schurz. Schurz is a Chicago Public League team that went on to finish 0-9 that year. When in the midst of a long, long losing streak, the first game of a new season is often the only time one can harbor any optimism.

Final: Addison Trail 49, Maine East 6

Nevertheless, the Blue Demons may only be a one-touchdown underdog to Round Lake next week.

Hinsdale Central got handled by Naperville Central. York dominated Schaumburg. LT came back to beat BG by 3. Sounds like the DGN/Hoffman Estates game had some issues with the lights and may have been postponed until tomorrow. We will see what the Hitters can do tomorrow as underdogs at Marist.

In the gold, Willowbrook got embarrassed by a mid tier Catholic team again in their opener. Big win for Addison Trail. DGS lost to Wheaton North but it was closer than last year. Hinsdale South lost by 3 at Deerfield. Leyden loses by 3 to Highland Park. Centennial handled Proviso East. Not sure what happened with Morton/RB.

Last edited:
Reactions: WBWarriorWatcher
Hinsdale Central got handled by Naperville Central. York dominated Schaumburg. LT came back to beat BG by 3. Sounds like the DGN/Hoffman Estates game had some issues with the lights and may have been postponed until tomorrow. We will see what the Hitters can do tomorrow as underdogs at Marist.

In the gold, Willowbrook got embarrassed by a mid tier Catholic team again in their opener. Big win for Addison Trail. DGS lost to Wheaton North but it was closer than last year. Hinsdale South lost by 3 at Deerfield. Leyden loses by 3 to Highland Park. Centennial handled Proviso East. Not sure what happened with Morton/RB.
Just saw score 35-28 RB

Week 1 in the books and Addison Trail the only gold team with a win and Hinsdale Central the only Silver team without a win. Big Saturday wins for OPRF, GW and DGN.

Hinsdale Central has a ways to go. Solid D but offense really struggled against Naper Central. Don't see any difference makers on offense. No gamebreakers or burners.

Was really impressed with OPRF yesterday. Yes, they caught Fenwick at the perfect time as the Friars have a major retooling ahead (you just don't recover right away from losing 30 players - including 14 starters - from last year's 5A champions), but the Huskies looked very sharp on both sides of the ball.

Hinsdale Central has a ways to go. Solid D but offense really struggled against Naper Central. Don't see any difference makers on offense. No gamebreakers or burners.
Sadly - I agree, HC has a way to go. The OLine is the weakest group by far. 2 Sophomores and 3 Juniors (2 who started last year as Sophomores). It led to a lot of the struggles HC had, as there was no time for either QB to get the ball where they wanted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT