ADVERTISEMENT

WSC pre-kickoff thread

Can anyone test Willowbrook in the Gold? Has the Silver caught up to GBW?

What's going on out there on 63rd and Dunham? I see they have plans for an expansion on the building but what about expanding in the win column?

The Willowbrook non-conf schedule is a monster with PC and OPRF. Then lead off conf with DGS in week 3. The Warriors early schedule is the toughest. Luck and health will be needed.

The Willowbrook non-conf schedule is a monster with PC and OPRF. Then lead off conf with DGS in week 3. The Warriors early schedule is the toughest. Luck and health will be needed.
Good for you to be modest but WB will murder DGS.

Lyons could be the biggest surprise. Lots of interest and kids out. They had a whole bunch of Jr's last year and a good new HC.

Two easy ones...Downers North and Downers South should both make the playoffs. Both were Jr.-rich teams with very good coaching. Cassens is one of the best all around players in the State for DGN.

York....needs to run the ball and control the clock with 2 to 3 6 minute scoring drives. Mathiason and Wall anchor a line that could produce 3 D1 kids. Downside...Lots of turnover in skill and a Head Coach that still feels the sting of GBW last year. If they pass.more than 12 times a game, they will expose a defense that has one returning player and the same D-Coordinator. That D needs time to grow and mature. York will finish anywhere from 6-3 to 2-7. Can't see them beating DGN...Willowbrook...OPRF and GBW.

The teams on the slide...Hinsdale Central and GBW. But...their "slides" don't equal them NOT making the playoffs. There is just more balance in the WSS.

Thanks for.posting kitty!

Post any WSC preseason thoughts/opinions here.
@capnbillhitters @Voodoo Tatum 21 @Magnum Opus
Preseason favorites to win conference both gold and silver?
Preseason Best QB? RB? Skill set? O-line? Defense?
Preseason dark horse?
Toughest schedule?
Best matchup?

All thoughts welcome and appreciated.

Preseason favorites to win conference both gold and silver? DGN and WILLOWBROOK

QB? TUMILTY wIllowbrook/CASSENS DGN

RB? GARRETT HS (Unless Yorks Head Coach decides to do what he should...run the ball)

Skill set? WILLOWBROOK if asking about entire skill set positions.

O-line? YORK

Defense? DGN

Preseason dark horse? LYONS, DGS

Toughest schedule? Proviso West

Best matchup? GBW/DGN

Sorry Kitty...happy to not be chopped liver...THANKS

For some reason I didn't get the notification from the tag either. Malfunction probably.

I see a lot of balance in the WSC silver. GBW stud QB moved, HC has talent returning, OPRF is loaded in my opinion and then York, DGN are going to be better than they have in years. Lyons should be better with Hartman as their coach but not sure how big of a turnaround you can expect in one season.

Should be a fun 9 weeks of football that lead us to the playoffs

In the silver:

Until someone unseats GB West, I have to believe they’ll rise to the challenge. They reload like few do. In my opinion they are the best coached team in the conference year in-year out.

Hinsdale Central lost their head coach, but promoted from within, and that should lead to good continuity. I don’t think they lost anyone to transfer, which was a concern with all of the upheaval. They return a lot of talent and solid linemen on both sides.

OPRF is about as talented at the skill positions as they’ve been recently. They could make their move to the top of the conference if they replace their Linemen and LBs well.

York returns 4 big, athletic offensive linemen. Definitely the strength of the team. Top rusher and top receiver come back as well. Defense is the big question mark. Could be playoff bound if they reload on D.

DGN just missed playoffs last year. They return some talent at the skills, but lost some key linemen. They look like a bubble team for the playoffs to me.

Lyons should see the most improvement in the Silver. Last year’s junior heavy team will bring back a lot of experience and a good sophomore squad will add depth. Excitement with the new coaches will help as well. I think they fall just short of the playoffs which is a big 1 year improvement.

Proviso West always seems to have the talent in the hallways (just watch a track meet), if they find a way to get them on the gridiron, they will be a tough out. Unfortunately I don’t think that will happen this year.

Top three in order (playoff teams):

GBW
HC
OPRF

Next two (bubble teams):

York
DGN

Missing out:

LT
PW

Can't believe the season starts tomorrow. I feel the West Suburban Silver has no clear-cut favorite for the first time in a while. That being said, here are my early WSC Silver predictions:

1) Oak Park & River Forest- if there ever was a year for the Huskies to win the conference outright, this could be the one. By all accounts, QB Jaden McGill has made significant improvements in his passing abilities, and that can only help the offense. RB Nazareth Bryant came on strong during the second half of 2018 and is one to watch for 2019. The big question is the defense ; the Huskies lost a ton of talent to graduation, especially on the line. If OPRF can successfully reload upfront - and survive two tough non-conference games to begin the season (at Waubonsie Valley, home vs Willowbrook), this is the team to beat IMO.

2) Glenbard West - The Hitters lost a ton of talent on both sides of the ball. Yet, I know Chad Hetlet always does a masterful job of reloading every year and you would be foolish to count GW out. The GW/OPRF tilt on October 25 likely decides the Silver champ.

3) Hinsdale Central - glad to see the district decided to keep football. The Red Devils are perennial contenders every season in the Silver. Losing a top-quality head coach in Dan Hartman is tough, but HC did wise to promote from within; that ensures program stability. Another run at the title is possible.

4) Downers Grove North - I think this is the school that makes a big jump in the standings. I like QB Drew Castens a lot; he's a pure dual-threat. The question for the Trojans is line play; they'll need to successfully reload on both sides of the ball. If it can, DGN makes the playoffs.

5) York - the Dukes started off promising in 2018 under first-year HC Mike Fitzgerald but struggled when they played the perennial powers in GW, HC, and OPRF. York is on the verge of returning to the postseason, and I think the Dukes get the job done in 2019.

6) Lyons Township - honestly, I may have LT ranked too low, especially given that Dan Hartman is the new head coach. The Lions' program always has large numbers and has been solid overall for some time, and there's good reason to believe that last year's 1-8 record was an aberration. There was plenty of young talent that saw action last season, and that experience along with Hartman's track record of engineering quick turnarounds should make LT fans feel confident about a bounce-back 2019. In fact, you can take LT, DGN, and York, shuffle their names in a bag, and any of them could finish 4th, 5th, or 6th.

7) Proviso West - there's always good athletic talent in Hillside, it's a matter of getting it to play football. When that's been the case, the Panthers have fared well - especially when Famous Hulbert was the head coach. But the numbers have been dwindling since Famous left, and while PW has some guys that work hard and leave a favorable impression, they don't have enough of them to make a move upward in the standings.

OPRF, GW, and HC are the contenders, with DGN, LT, and York knocking on the door. It would not be a shock if all 6 of those teams make the playoffs (PW being the lone team out). The Silver - although it doesn't have an obvious favorite - is very strong in 2019.

Last edited:
I really do, especially HC. Their best asset is no longer on the balance sheet. He moved a few blocks east.

Hartman is great but I gotta disagree here...seems to me it's more about Jims and Joes than Xs and Os. Don't see this HC group missing a beat without Hartman.

Can't believe the season starts tomorrow. I feel the West Suburban Silver has no clear-cut favorite for the first time in a while. That being said, here are my early WSC Silver predictions:

1) Oak Park & River Forest- if there ever was a year for the Huskies to win the conference outright, this could be the one. By all accounts, QB Jaden McGill has made significant improvements in his passing abilities, and that can only help the offense. RB Nazareth Bryant came on strong during the second half of 2018 and is one to watch for 2019. The big question is the defense ; the Huskies lost a ton of talent to graduation, especially on the line. If OPRF can successfully reload upfront - and survive two tough non-conference games to begin the season (at Waubonsie Valley, home vs Willowbrook), this is the team to beat IMO.

2) Glenbard West - The Hitters lost a ton of talent on both sides of the ball. Yet, I know Chad Hetlet always does a masterful job of reloading every year and you would be foolish to count GW out. The GW/OPRF tilt on October 25 likely decides the Silver champ.

3) Hinsdale Central - glad to see the district decided to keep football. The Red Devils are perennial contenders every season in the Silver. Losing a top-quality head coach in Dan Hartman is tough, but HC did wise to promote from within; that ensures program stability. Another run at the title is possible.

OPRF, GW, and HC are the contenders, with DGN, LT, and York knocking on the door. It would not be a shock if all 6 of those teams make the playoffs (PW being the lone team out). The Silver - although it doesn't have an obvious favorite - is very strong in 2019.

Thanks for the post @OPRF Illini 96 . I was looking for your handle but it wasn't popping up when I posted. I agree with your analysis except in that I give the slight edge to HC in terms of returning talent/being the team to beat. Does OP return any rising seniors from that defense? Glad to hear McGill has improved his throwing but confess skepticism until I see otherwise. I don't see him throwing the ball on HC's seasoned DBs this year, while HC'll have a more versatile offense this season against a presumably young OP D. Then with GW looking to replace so many plus starting a soph QB I gotta give the preseason on-paper edge to HC. Let me know what I'm missing. Glad to back here posting with ya.

Reactions: Dual-triple_threat
Looking at all of this, I've come to the conclusion that all the games have to be played. No conference champ is to be chosen...right now. My take thus far:

(1)I still like DGN to win it all. Best combo of Coaching and Talent and i stand behind what i said at the end of last year.
(2) most of us agree on the GBW "slide"
(3)HC is a Toss Up...im just not big on this team this year. Only wish they recruit kids like Naperville Central (week one game)lol...just beat them HC!
(4)Lyons is recovering but will pull off a HUGE win somewhere (HC might be the one)
(5)OPRF has great skill, but a lot of holes to fill.
(6)we all wish Yorks OLine could also play for the entire Defense they lost
(7)proviso west has the worst schedule know to mankind.

This is going to be one of the best conferences this year, as it was last year. Biggest question is can some of these teams get over the name on their opponents jersey (York/GBW). Im just not sure any of these teams are built to play 14 games this year. What will prove out any of these teams success and/or failures will be coaching.

In reverse order, here are my thoughts:
PW and LT will bring up the rear. I admire the kids and coaches at PW, but they are facing an uphill battle in a very tough conference. As for LT, I do not share the sentiments of most regarding the coaching change, and I think they'll need a few years to regain their football footing.

DGN and York are at the next level. If defense wins football games, then DGN gets the nod between these 2. The challenge for York is to assemble a backfield that matches their OL.

Next, I have OPRF and HC. HC's new old coach needs to do something different from the old coach, otherwise they've gained nothing. But, OPRF is best positioned to step to the top this year, with really good skill people returning.

I still have GW sitting at the top. I love Coach Hetlet, and believe he is one of the best coaches in the country. I expect a slow start, but by about game 5, they can be contending to play 14 this season. It depends completely on whether or not the kids want to play that long this season. On October 25th we might see one of the best games of the season in Illinois High School football.

Last edited:
Hartman is great but I gotta disagree here...seems to me it's more about Jims and Joes than Xs and Os. Don't see this HC group missing a beat without Hartman.

Have to agree. Hartman was/is a great coach, but I believe the current staff will keep the momentum rolling without a hitch. A lot of returning starters for the Devils along with new talent in a couple key positions.

Looking back at Edgy's team previews of OPRF and GW I'm not sure I see HC as the clear preseason conference favorite. Didn't realize how much of that OP defense is coming back...Same with GW's defense...both of them should be legit.

Hoping you knuckleheads can keep me updated on the season as I transition back to God’s Country down South. Moving out in Week 4 and will happily hand my pen over to the capable hands of Kitty.

You guys were a blast. Underestimate Hetlet at your own credibility. That dude has some mashers on D this year and plenty of talent at the skills. Not sure they yet match up with the likes of MS, but I’m fairly confident they make the WSS their bitch this year...with all due respect to OPRF/LT/HC.

Cheers Boys, I’m off to Carolina in my mind.

Hoping you knuckleheads can keep me updated on the season as I transition back to God’s Country down South. Moving out in Week 4 and will happily hand my pen over to the capable hands of Kitty.

You guys were a blast. Underestimate Hetlet at your own credibility. That dude has some mashers on D this year and plenty of talent at the skills. Not sure they yet match up with the likes of MS, but I’m fairly confident they make the WSS their bitch this year...with all due respect to OPRF/LT/HC.

I will never underestimate Hetlet and predict a big year for the Hitters.

Godspeed @capnbillhitters! Are you driving the Bentley down yourself or having it transported via private jet?

I will never underestimate Hetlet and predict a big year for the Hitters.

Godspeed @capnbillhitters! Are you driving the Bentley down yourself or having it transported via private jet?

I am leaving one here and have another waiting at the local executive airport in Asheville at the Biltmore.

One issue that has cropped up is that the only spot within 20 minutes of my crib where I may procure milk and eggs is a Dollar General.

My driver says his disposition is too delicate to enter a DG voluntarily, so I am practicing my “Howdy Y’all”s and relearning how to make eye contact with other humans.

I am leaving one here and have another waiting at the local executive airport in Asheville at the Biltmore.

One issue that has cropped up is that the only spot within 20 minutes of my crib where I may procure milk and eggs is a Dollar General.

My driver says his disposition is too delicate to enter a DG voluntarily, so I am practicing my “Howdy Y’all”s and relearning how to make eye contact with other humans.

Thats funny stuff. Have safe trip. I off to California, Lake Tahoe. Vacation!

Lyons are going to surprise LOTS of people this year.
In reverse order, here are my thoughts:
PW and LT will bring up the rear. I admire the kids and coaches at PW, but they are facing an uphill battle in a very tough conference. As for LT, I do not share the sentiments of most regarding the coaching change, and I think they'll need a few years to regain their football footing.

DGN and York are at the next level. If defense wins football games, then DGN gets the nod between these 2. The challenge for York is to assemble a backfield that matches their OL.

Next, I have OPRF and HC. HC's new old coach needs to do something different from the old coach, otherwise they've gained nothing. But, OPRF is best positioned to step to the top this year, with really good skill people returning.

I still have GW sitting at the top. I love Coach Hetlet, and believe he is one of the best coaches in the country. I expect a slow start, but by about game 5, they can be contending to play 14 this season. It depends completely on whether or not the kids want to play that long this season. On Octobet 25th we might see one of the best games of the season in Illinois High School football.
w

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT