ADVERTISEMENT

WIU Football

colin2229

Jul 23, 2005
Just read that their DC left for a D2 Defensive Coordinator position and their assistant OC left for a GA position in the SEC.

Both new opportunities are not even lateral moves but I would consider a significant step down in their careers.

I've heard rumblings for awhile now that WIU is hurting. Something bigger coming down soon?

Just read that their DC left for a D2 Defensive Coordinator position and their assistant OC left for a GA position in the SEC.

Both new opportunities are not even lateral moves but I would consider a significant step down in their careers.

I've heard rumblings for awhile now that WIU is hurting. Something bigger coming down soon?
Assistant OC left to learn from an SEC level coach is a step down to you?

Yes, he was a GA at NC ST, and then got to WIU and worked his way up to the play caller and OL Coach. Now he’s going back to being a GA.

The natural progression is GA to FT Coach.

In the SEC he can spend a year as a GA and then move up to a paid position (any position) and make 5 times what he was making at WIU! If he has the ability to do it, it's a no brainer to me.

I read somewhere he went to Penn St to be an offensive analyst, not an SEC school...

FootballScoop said Mississippi St.

However, you are correct. Analyst at Penn St.

I think it’s an odd move to make that move. You give up calling plays and having a position room to yourself to now being #2 in command of a position.

I’ve never heard of a D1 play caller leaving to become a GA at a better school.

He was probably around 60k at WIU. I’d say he took a significant pay cut to go to PSU. May play out better in the long term.

The DC leaving for a D2 job is more confusing.

After going 1-11 at a school that doesn’t pay well it’s easy to see why coaches are leaving even if they are taking positions that seem like a step backward. You also have to wonder if some coaches felt like the end was near so now was the time to make a move?

WIU has been bleeding for many years now. Macomb is not a destination for many. No easy way to reach the town and the campus is aging poorly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT