ADVERTISEMENT

Who's left by conference

USD24

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Joliet
Here is how many reams each conference has left (4a-8a)
CCL/ESCC 9 (Blue 4, Green 2, Orange 1, Purple 1, White 1)
Fox Valley 4
No other conference has more than 2. The following conference have two teams left:
SWSB,
Dukane,
CSS,
Southland
Mid Illini
Cahokia
Cs8.
The following conferences have 1 team left:
DPV
NIC 10
WSG
Mid Suburban East
Southwestern
Kishwaukee River white
Kishwaukee River BLue
N, Suburban
S.Suburban Blue
South 7
Apollo
Big Northern
CPL

Last edited:
This just pushes me more towards the opinion IHSA needs to separate the non-boundary schools from the boundary schools. We are lining up to have a two non-boundary schools play for the championship at both 7A and 8A.
So?
And it’s a big IF that happens.
7A maybe but 8A I doubt it.

So?
Why
So?
Why is it that the only sport that people claim Catholic schools have an advantage is football? When was the last time a Catholic school won a basketball state title in the highest class? St Joe’s in the 90s? Yet no outrage.

This just pushes me more towards the opinion IHSA needs to separate the non-boundary schools from the boundary schools. We are lining up to have a two non-boundary schools play for the championship at both 7A and 8A.
To borrow from Newt, oh the horror of it all!

• Haha
Reactions: chiliconcarne
And the problem is? How about if LWE and MS play in the finals multiple years? How about the poor publics who don't have double digits coaches or large feeder systems supplying the school with players? What difference is if a good public H.S. team loses to a private or a public power?

Last edited:
Reactions: hdj all the way
Kind of DePaul Prep last year…
DePaul has never won the largest class in basketball. The last private school to win the largest class was St Joes in 1999, as DuHawk referenced. Prior to 1999, you have to go back to 1986 when Mt Carmel won it.

Last edited:
Reactions: eireog
I know Ramblinman is a big proponent of this and Im sure others are as well. However, all private schools are not equal. There are haves and have nots on the private side. Being that I come from a private school that was a have not I don't feel that the split is needed.

The numbers of privates schools will continue to become smaller and smaller.

What happens when the only ones left are Loyola, Mt.Carmel, Marist, Notre Dame, and St.Patrick etc...

And the problem is? How about if LWE and MS play in the finals multiple years? How about the poor publics who don't have double digits coaches or large feeder systems supplying the school with players? What difference is if a good public H.S. team loses to a private or a public power?
MS is an open enrollment. Anyone who lives in the district can chose MS over all the other Maine’s. So all the upper tier football athletes chose MS. Not an apples to apples comparison with almost all other public schools.

I can’t help you if you don’t see the competitive advantage of being a non-boundary school.

Reactions: WBWarriorWatcher
Why

Why is it that the only sport that people claim Catholic schools have an advantage is football? When was the last time a Catholic school won a basketball state title in the highest class? St Joe’s in the 90s? Yet no outrage.
Now look at Baseball. It’s not just football. Basketball is not the same - you only get 12 kids or so on the roster.

MS is an open enrollment. Anyone who lives in the district can chose MS over all the other Maine’s. So all the upper tier football athletes chose MS. Not an apples to apples comparison with almost all other public schools.

I can’t help you if you don’t see the competitive advantage of being a non-boundary school.
This has been discussed on this board before and I dont believe that is true. @MS4EVER please confirm.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
This is how this would work, if the non-boundary schools wish to separate they would have to separate all sports not just football. That includes basketball, baseball and all girls sports. A big reason why this hasn’t happened is for just that.

I know many public schools would be happy about this but it’s not destined to happen. To IHSA won’t segregate football from everything else.

Now look at Baseball. It’s not just football. Basketball is not the same - you only get 12 kids or so on the roster.
There hasn't been a Private school in the baseball 4A state championship game in the last 5 years. And in the last 30 years, private schools have won the largest championship a total of 6 times(JC, MC and NND 1x and PC 3x). Not exactly dominating the field.

I did not know that. That's a big advantage.

This has been discussed on this board before and I dont believe that is true. @MS4EVER please confirm.

There's a small area of Park Ridge, just south of Maine East, where families can choose between ME and MS. My sister lives in that area and I get the impression that most families choose MS. Other than that, there is no "open enrollment" option in Maine Township.

There hasn't been a Private school in the baseball 4A state championship game in the last 5 years. And in the last 30 years, private schools have won the largest championship a total of 6 times(JC, MC and NND 1x and PC 3x). Not exactly dominating the field.
Keep an eye on St. Rita's basketball team the next 2-3 years. They may be making a run at a championship.

Reactions: Gene K. and USD24
Keep an eye on St. Rita's basketball team the next 2-3 years. They may be making a run at a championship.
While I agree with you about Rita's hoops in the next few years, as of right now they are in 3A, so I dont see a private school winning the largest division championship in the near future in basketball.

Wouldn't it be easier in basketball? recruit yourself 2 studs per class and you most likely get 6 top tier players on varisty at a time. You only play 5 so if you have 6 blue chippers you should easily win.

Reactions: Duhawk44 and USD24
Per the Maine web site, that is not accurate. There is a small area where kids can choose between Maine South and Maine East. Everyone in the district does not get to choose which high school they go to. Not even close to open enrollment.

https://maine207.org/attendance-boundary-map/
Okay, I stand corrected. What I was told is obviously wrong. I'm not going to delete the original comment so others can learn as well.

The public school dominated IHSA shot themselves in the foot back when they expanded from six to eight classes. They effectively increased the number of middle sized classes from two (classes 3 and 4 in the old six class system) to four (classes 3, 4, 5, and 6) in the current system. Doing so played directly into the strength of the private schools in terms of their numbers and enrollments. They wanted their schools to win more championships so they increased the number of classes. That served to increase the number of private schools winning championships. Be careful what you wish for!

Wouldn't it be easier in basketball? recruit yourself 2 studs per class and you most likely get 6 top tier players on varisty at a time. You only play 5 so if you have 6 blue chippers you should easily win.
6 blue chippers? That's pretty lofty.

Hopefully for the last time, MAINE SOUTH IS NOT open enrollment!

There is a small section of Park Ridge, north of Oakton Street, where students can choose Maine East or Maine South. That's all. That's it. This has been discussed over and over and hopefully this is the last time.

Reactions: USD24
DePaul has never won the largest class in basketball. The last private school to win the largest class was St Joes in 1999, as DuHawk referenced. Prior to 1999, you have to go back to 1985 when Mt Carmel won it.
Yes they did, I was playing for the Hersey team they beat in Elite 8 in Champaign that year. James Farr was great that weekend and the big fella Easy Ed McCants was a load in the paint!

Yes they did, I was playing for the Hersey team they beat in Elite 8 in Champaign that year. James Farr was great that weekend and the big fella Easy Ed McCants was a load in the paint!
I think your confused. You may be referring to Mr. Carmel. They won it in 86. The Caravan defeated Hersey in the elite eight that year. And I think you mean Melvin McCants, not Ed McCants.

Reactions: Gene K.
Big Northern has two, not one.
This list is only referring to 4A-8A. Byron, the other Big Northern school still playing, is a 3A school, that's why they are not included in the list.

Reactions: MPC55
The non boundary schools that have traditional winning programs have the big advantage, and it’s not about giving out scholarships but rather being able to recruit from a large pool of athletes. Kids want to play for winning programs and that is a big advantage In recruitment. Your public schools have a much smaller finite number of kids and you get what you get in quality. being able to recruit just provides so much more athletic depth for the non boundary traditional power schools that it provides a big advantage, which we see played out in the playoff results. Regardless even though my kids go to public schools I say bring um all on! May the best team win! Go Wheaton North!

Reactions: Gene K.
I think your confused. You may be referring to Mr. Carmel. They won it in 86. The Caravan defeated Hersey in the elite eight that year. And I think you mean Melvin McCants, not Ed McCants.
Correct Mt.Carmel, sorry got my McCants mixed up. I am old now! They beat us in Champaign in 1985, my junior season.

Reactions: USD24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT