ADVERTISEMENT

Who Begins First??

Right when I think things are looking up, we take a step back....half the Clemson team has it now I read...anyways, numbers are going to rise this week and next because the 100's of Thousands of people who participated in Protests, peaceful or other, are going to start coming down with it, along with many Police Officers who've been out there all day and night with them.

As a poster above stated, this isn't going away, we all hoped for a miracle that it would sweep through and disappear with the warm weather, it's just isn't so. The hottest states in the nation are seeing a spike in cases, a lot is due to the protests, but it's still out there. We have to be realistic about this. Are children and teenagers getting this virus? No....very, very, few cases unless they have medical conditions. Adults in normal health are getting it and recovering within a week. We can't continue to hunker down and hide, there is no guarantee when this vaccine will ever be ready. So if you have health issues or if you are a senior citizen you should remain extremely cautious and stay home as much as possible, if you are the other 90%, we need to keep this train moving forward.

I've said this since this all started, if students are allowed back in the classrooms and campuses, where they will be coughing and sneezing, then they can participate in sports. If they come down with it, same thing if they sprain an ankle, your out for 2 weeks until your better.

My prediction is that college sports will be cancelled because everyone will be fixated on positive cases instead of looking at people being hospitalized or dying from it (like FL, TX, AZ now where young people are testing positive now making the number skyrocket but hospitalizations and deaths still dropping).

We will have thousands and thousands of athletes test positive and most of staffs around the country. We will see almost every single person recover.

College ADs and presidents will be sitting around in December looking at ravaged financials from the decision and see how almost every athlete recovered after a few days. Everyone will look at each other and think, "why did we do that?"

And then in 2021 we will have to do the same and repeat. And in 2022 when there is a vaccine, but our society has forced us to do anything to save one life, so we will now have to implement everything we have done for coronavirus for the common flu too. Every life counts.

It sounds ridiculous and exaggerating, but so was thinking we just had to lockdown for 30 days to flatten a curve.

If we can move past freaking out over positive cases, which don't mean anything anymore without context, we may have a chance.

My prediction is that college sports will be cancelled because everyone will be fixated on positive cases instead of looking at people being hospitalized or dying from it (like FL, TX, AZ now where young people are testing positive now making the number skyrocket but hospitalizations and deaths still dropping).

We will have thousands and thousands of athletes test positive and most of staffs around the country. We will see almost every single person recover.

College ADs and presidents will be sitting around in December looking at ravaged financials from the decision and see how almost every athlete recovered after a few days. Everyone will look at each other and think, "why did we do that?"

And then in 2021 we will have to do the same and repeat. And in 2022 when there is a vaccine, but our society has forced us to do anything to save one life, so we will now have to implement everything we have done for coronavirus for the common flu too. Every life counts.

It sounds ridiculous and exaggerating, but so was thinking we just had to lockdown for 30 days to flatten a curve.

If we can move past freaking out over positive cases, which don't mean anything anymore without context, we may have a chance.

At some point people need to learn to think critically about this virus, it will either go away like previous SARS/coronaviruses or it will become seasonal like the flu or common cold (another coronavirus). So at some point the population is going to accept that it is here and that we need to live with it, as we are learning more every day from around the world. People that may be at risk to a severe reaction to the virus need protect themselves we need to help them as much as we can. However more and more reports are coming in from around the world from countries that have schools in session that transmission from a positive testing student is either not occurring or very rare based on contact tracing the student who had close contact with other students.

It is time to move on to what we do and protect who needs protected until there is a vaccine to take for those that want to take it. I am tired of all the panic but I will wear a mask were I have to just to calm people down, but it is time for the kids to go back to school this fall and let the ones that want to compete, compete.

Hospitalizations and deaths lag new case counts by about a month. So, the rising numbers in cases in Florida, Texas, and Arizona, particularly Arizona, where hospitals are full (and hospital groups are pleading with people to stay home), will likely get worse as we move into July.

If you're hoping for a decision on a season anytime soon here, you're likely going to have to wait about a month, when things are likely to get really bad in those states in particular.

Until then, keep wearing a mask, and keep social distancing as much as possible. The safer we are now, the sooner we return back to normal.

Except that outside of a couple counties in AZ, the hospitalizations in FL and TX aren't rising. So the deaths aren't going to rise in a month. People are testing positive but not sick enough to be hospitalized. Those people aren't going home and dying. They are testing positive and recovering.

Much of the country is still waiting on scientific proof that shows social distancing works, or wearing a mask works. So far there isn't any actual data to support it, just doctors telling us to do it.

We have more doctors now (latest from Italy today in Telegraph) saying the virus is dying out and mutating to a lesser strength than those that say it is still a huge pandemic.

I think the IHSA will wait until August to make another decision. Hopefully all the programs can use the 20 contact days the right way to be prepared.

CPS is still left waiting as well to do anything.

Reactions: Gene K.
Except that outside of a couple counties in AZ, the hospitalizations in FL and TX aren't rising. So the deaths aren't going to rise in a month. People are testing positive but not sick enough to be hospitalized. Those people aren't going home and dying. They are testing positive and recovering.

Much of the country is still waiting on scientific proof that shows social distancing works, or wearing a mask works. So far there isn't any actual data to support it, just doctors telling us to do it.

We have more doctors now (latest from Italy today in Telegraph) saying the virus is dying out and mutating to a lesser strength than those that say it is still a huge pandemic.

I think the IHSA will wait until August to make another decision. Hopefully all the programs can use the 20 contact days the right way to be prepared.

CPS is still left waiting as well to do anything.

Gotcha. It's unbelievable that you believe there is no proof wearing a mask works. There has literally been study after study after study showing it.

Gotcha. It's unbelievable that you believe there is no proof wearing a mask works. There has literally been study after study after study showing it.

Yes you're right, all in surgical and medical settings. None in mass public situations with various types of masks everyone is using (cloth, medical, disposable, coffee filters, etc) where most aren't wearing them right or fiddling with them. Anyways we agree to disagree then.

Hospitalizations and deaths lag new case counts by about a month. So, the rising numbers in cases in Florida, Texas, and Arizona, particularly Arizona, where hospitals are full (and hospital groups are pleading with people to stay home), will likely get worse as we move into July.

If you're hoping for a decision on a season anytime soon here, you're likely going to have to wait about a month, when things are likely to get really bad in those states in particular.

Until then, keep wearing a mask, and keep social distancing as much as possible. The safer we are now, the sooner we return back to normal.

Hospitalizations and deaths will lag but really it will only show up IF the new cases the last week are in a part of the population that are the most at risk. The vast majority of cases (>95%) are not going to the hospital and dying. Data from Florida shows that this is what is happening now that the median age is under 40 of positive cases so 99% of those will never show up in a hospital.

It is winding down IHSA is slow playing it like they should, the schools will have their contact days in July and a decision about the fall will be made in a month with the data at that time.

Social distance where you can and wear the mask if you can't. So we can then hopefully watch the boys play on NFHS or in small groups in our masks if need be.

This generation has been paying the greatest costs now and in the future so do your part to let them play, because one day we will be depending on them

This thread is on its way to getting flushed, just like every other coovid thread

This would be true if everybody had access to quality N-95 Masks or better and/or plastic face shields. But, very few people have quality face masks with an actual filtering media and hardly anybody has or wears plastic face shields.

The vast majority of masks being worn are made of cotton and/or polyester materials that are very porous and the only gain to be had from wearing these masks is the Hope that if these masks are worn by virus carrying individuals that they may help limit the aerosolized exhaust from spit which commonly accompanies talking, coughing, etc.

And then there is this;

"At the start of June, in response to Professor Bassetti's claim, Dr Angela Rasmussen, from Columbia University, tweeted: 'There is no evidence that the virus is losing potency anywhere.'

She added less transmission means fewer hospitalisations and deaths - but warned: 'That doesn't mean less virulence.'

The virulence of a virus is how dangerous the illness is but may not directly relate to how contagious it is.

Dr Seema Yasmin, an epidemiologist from Stanford University, said the idea was 'bulls***'."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-tiger-wild-cat-Italian-scientist-claims.html

Very well could be. I'm leaning towards something positive happening either way as deaths are down 90% since late April. Down 90%. Whether that's weakening virus, better treatment, I'm taking it as awesome news.

And flush worthy? I hope not. Nothing political or nasty here. Again zero sports or IHSA football going on now precisely because of coronavirus. Respectfully sharing opinions and thoughts on the matter shouldn't make it be flushed automatically. But I also understand it ain't our board.

I’ve seen and participated in numerous threads that were deservingly flushed, unless I missed a post I don’t what’s wrong with this one yet.

Reactions: Gene K.
Pandemic life is perplexing. Spent the day with my family in Milwaukee today. Started at the zoo, everyone wearing masks. Had lunch at Milwaukee Ale House, no masks. Hit a coffee shop, my family with masks but nobody else and we couldn’t use their restroom due to ordinances. Went to the beach, no masks and life is normal. Driving by the Summerfest site I couldn’t wrap my head around that and all concerts everywhere cancelled. It’s a weird time and I come back to how can high school football happen? We’ll see.

Reactions: sporthog9er
And do you blame me? And you also know why this board is on borrowed time...
Disclaimer: I know it’s not our (the posters) decision but here are my thoughts for not flushing this thread.

First: nobody has really gotten political at all that I’ve seen, just potentially off topic for the normally approved board topics. BUT we are discussing the virus because it can and will affect high school football. We are just seeing some differing opinions.

Second: Edgy’s message board is pretty well known and a place where high school sports fans regularly post. If the powers that be start to approach a final decision but are not quite sure on go (or) no go for fall sports, they will start to look to OTHER sources of opinions and reasoning before making their final decision and maybe they will say “what’s the Edgy football world have to say about all this”.

If threads like this are flushed their answer is “they have virtually nothing to say on the subject”.

If threads like this one are still here, they will read them and see what the most hard core high school football fans have to say on the subject.

I may be full of crap but those are my thoughts.

And do you blame me? And you also know why this board is on borrowed time...

Believe I wish this thread could be flushed, I want to move on from this and watch kids that I have coached and watch play since second grade and it is finally their turn to shine, I have kids I want to be able to see them play from West Aurora, Batavia, Nequa Valley, Naz, Benet and other schools. I will do it in my living room or sitting/standing all by myself with a mask. I just want someone to tell me why there is such resistance to them playing since there still is very little data regarding how this is impacting these kids, (understand that some referees are at the greatest risk).

I was fortunate enough to play this game until I was 24 and believe that the assumed risk these kids understand and are willing to accept just by playing football is more than the risk for them and most people with this virus.

Not playing athletics is taking away life lessons for most of these kids including leadership, self responsibility, working together with diverse people to accomplish a common goal. All of which we need more of now it seems. I was able to play with guys from New York, Chicago, Denver, LA and learned something from all of them after growing up in a small midwestern town in the middle of nowhere and wouldn't trade that experience away for anything and it is breaking my heart seeing this being taken away from this group of kids.

After seeing how well many of the Chicagoland players did recently down in Texas, I am rooting for the higher up to realize that playing football is more than just a game and that it teaches boys to become men, especially when only 2-3% of the high school players will move on to the next level, for 97-98% of the student athletes - this is their only chance.

Two weeks ago I though the chance of HS sports this fall being payed at about 80%, now I am thinking 25%... other states have opened and cases have spiked, we open this Friday, does anyone think it won't spike here once again by the end of July????

So the cases aren't going away until we have a vaccine, so whether we have school and sports depends on whether society feels this is a real health threat or something we can live with..

Bingo @FCHS2019 of COURSE there will be case spikes when things open. That's how viruses transmit. You hit the nail on the head. Will all depend on how IL and IHSA wants to tackle this. Worry about "cases" or what is actually happening with the case outcomes?

I think we would find a similar thing right now as to what is happening with NCAA football. If you tested many of the HS athletes this week that are doing the 10 person limit conditionings , you would get many positive cases. But that doesn't tell the whole story.

Pritzker released phase 4 guidelines today, hopefully the IDPH approved the IHSA phase 2 plan soon!

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
Cases spiking result in more hospitalization and ultimately more death. I am pretty sure every single person on this board likes high school football more than the general population does, but it is no reason to risk lives.

@sporthog9er how many kids are you willing to sacrifice for 14 weeks of viewing enjoyment? How many grandparents until you say the cost is too high?

@Solid Snake Pliskin since you asked- I wouldn't be sacrificing anybody. Why would a kid have to be sacrificed on my behalf or a grandparent? For kids, there have been what, less than 100 deaths nationwide under 18 directly tied to coronavirus? The CDC just lowered the mortality rate to 0% for kids. Kids play football and have had a higher mortality rate from the flu, cancers, heat exhaustion, and other things for decades before this.

If a kid has a serious condition then they don't have to play. The grandparents don't have to be around the game or kids if the don't want to. Nobody is forcing them to go to games or spend close contact with people if they don't want to. It should be all individual choices.

I don't think sports will happen this year. I don't agree with that, but I don't think it's happening. What I wish people would start to realize is that it isn't magically going to go back to normal this fall. Or this winter. Or next spring. Or next summer. This is it folks. So how long are you willing to eradicate sports and opportunities for all of the population (education, weddings, concerts, normal tasks, graduations, travel, list goes on)? 1 year? 5 years? 10 years? That's what we are talking about if you believe nothing should happen if it could possibly kill one person. Vaccine? Virus dying out in a year? 3 years?

Protect the vulnerable and support opportunities for the rest of the population that it doesn't kill. Wash hands and social distance when you can. Allow everyone to make individual choices for their individual health. That's my answer to your question.

@Solid Snake Pliskin since you asked- I wouldn't be sacrificing anybody. Why would a kid have to be sacrificed on my behalf or a grandparent? For kids, there have been what, less than 100 deaths nationwide under 18 directly tied to coronavirus? The CDC just lowered the mortality rate to 0% for kids. Kids play football and have had a higher mortality rate from the flu, cancers, heat exhaustion, and other things for decades before this.

If a kid has a serious condition then they don't have to play. The grandparents don't have to be around the game or kids if the don't want to. Nobody is forcing them to go to games or spend close contact with people if they don't want to. It should be all individual choices.

I don't think sports will happen this year. I don't agree with that, but I don't think it's happening. What I wish people would start to realize is that it isn't magically going to go back to normal this fall. Or this winter. Or next spring. Or next summer. This is it folks. So how long are you willing to eradicate sports and opportunities for all of the population (education, weddings, concerts, normal tasks, graduations, travel, list goes on)? 1 year? 5 years? 10 years? That's what we are talking about if you believe nothing should happen if it could possibly kill one person. Vaccine? Virus dying out in a year? 3 years?

Protect the vulnerable and support opportunities for the rest of the population that it doesn't kill. Wash hands and social distance when you can. Allow everyone to make individual choices for their individual health. That's my answer to your question.
120,000 people old or new, vulnerable or invulnerable is a lot deaths in 3 months. I guess we just need to weigh our priorities. It’s messed with our heads so much that I’m feeling guilty about trying to schedule a vacation this summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: sporthog9er

This last part of your argument I have to disagree.
“ Allow everyone to make individual choices for their individual health. That's my answer to your question.[/QUOTE]“

You can’t make individual choices because those choices can or will infect those that are vulnerable. You can’t see the virus and it is doesn’t care about anyone. I feel you because I, we love HS football and I personally would hate to see the season cancelled. I don’t know the answer to all of this or where it’s going but I would agree that life is more precious than football. I maybe wrong but it’s my opinion and I will own it.

Reactions: Solid Snake Pliskin
Not looking good for the NBA in Orlando considering the Orlando women soccer team had to pull out because it had half the team test positive. Florida is quickly becoming the epicenter

Well, based off of what I saw from the governors office regarding phase 4 allowing youth sports this summer with limits on spectators, I’m not sure how they hold other minors (high schoolers are still kids too, to me) to a different standard. I’m going to stay positive that football will return in the fall. Hoping worst case is each sideline kept to a max of 50 total people wearing masks when they are not on the field, after all each team is 50 yards apart and only 22 on the field plus 5 referees spread apart on the field as well. Just going to do my part and hope things keep getting better and hope for the best, otherwise it looks like I will be taking in some Pop Warner games since the teams that play to me can handle all the Phase 4 guidelines by me with the fields they play at.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT