ADVERTISEMENT

What's the Scoop on Phillips

IMO, some of it is "been there done that" already, yes. Losing their first game didn't help, beating Richards is a nice win, but not much after that is really impressive. Like I said, all JMO, I don't know anything about them.

IMO, some of it is "been there done that" already, yes. Losing their first game didn't help, beating Richards is a nice win, but not much after that is really impressive. Like I said, all JMO, I don't know anything about them.
so if you know nothing about them how can you state that much after the Richards win was impressive. The win vs Simeon was also a good win.

Again a very solid team. A bit different this season for me in the fact that I don't know who is really "the guy" for them. Past few years they have had some special go to guys (Quayvon Skanes/UConn and Collins/UNI) and while I think junior QB JBore Gibbs could be that guy...he's also still coming around as a total package QB. Still a load upfront on both sides of the ball which gave Althoff the most issues and they have enough skills and speed to at least hang with Althoff skills...should be interesting

Related to the above, I was looking Rochester's team too - game reports and their roster to see who is what. One of the Cox twins - both are skill players - is listed on MaxPreps as being 7 foot and 270 pounds. Seems this monster caught a 24-yard TD pass last weekend.
http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/rochester-rockets-(rochester,il)/football/roster.htm

Watching the 3A title game a couple years back when they played for Williamsville, I'd be surprised if both were 6'1 let alone 7'0

Philips is the best team in the CPS as they have superior talent and great coaching. This is what puts them over the top when it comes to other CPS schools. I would look for them to again have a long run in the playoffs. They are a 4A sized school with 8A level talent and would be able to compete well in 6A or 7A IMO. They may not have the marquee names like last year, but they are able to retool that roster with their ability to recruit and having the open enrollment, why the don't have a multiplier like other CPS schools that can do the same is beyond me.

Althoff won't fare any better this year against Phillips if they get by Rochester.

Philips is the best team in the CPS as they have superior talent and great coaching. This is what puts them over the top when it comes to other CPS schools. I would look for them to again have a long run in the playoffs. They are a 4A sized school with 8A level talent and would be able to compete well in 6A or 7A IMO. They may not have the marquee names like last year, but they are able to retool that roster with their ability to recruit and having the open enrollment, why the don't have a multiplier like other CPS schools that can do the same is beyond me.

How many former CCL kids on the team this year? They did well using the IHSA loophole allowing kids who transfer from private to public to play right away were as if you transfer the other way around w/o moving you can't play for a year.

That's all fine and dandy - Althoff has many of the same boys back and I'll be happy to put them against all Phillips brought in. The difference this year is Althoff's defence does not suck. They are not world beaters but pretty decent. Bryson Strong is a bad man in the middle and it's hard to throw on this 7-7 type of team.

Then again, Phillips reloaded. So we shall see - after Rochester maybe.

That's all fine and dandy - Althoff has many of the same boys back and I'll be happy to put them against all Phillips brought in. The difference this year is Althoff's defence does not suck. They are not world beaters but pretty decent. Bryson Strong is a bad man in the middle and it's hard to throw on this 7-7 type of team.

Then again, Phillips reloaded. So we shall see - after Rochester maybe.

I was going to say I would be more worried about Rochester at this point ;)

6 D1 guys, better coaching, and bring the D needed to slow down Atlhoff. Offense is better than last years version and it put 51 on you.

Most coaches improve after taking one to the chin. Look at Phillips two years ago when Rochester taught them a lesson in Championship football. Last year, Althoff had no clue how physical the championship game would be played considering they hadn't face anyone as physical as Phillips all year. Now that they have the experience under their belt, I am sure things will be a lot different. Not sure if that equals a win or not but, I am pretty confident that the results will not be identical. I will also add that they won a state championship in Basketball last year so I will predict that the team will be a lot more focused on football this year.

Reactions: flyerforlife
Saw a little film on them last night, no idea how they dont win 4A nor do I not understand why they dont have a multiplier as they dont seem to have a boundary..

Saw a little film on them last night, no idea how they dont win 4A nor do I not understand why they dont have a multiplier as they dont seem to have a boundary..

They "technically" have a boundary but are allowed to accept students outside the boundary for special programs. That is how they get around the boundary. I agree they should be multiplied in some way.

They "technically" have a boundary but are allowed to accept students outside the boundary for special programs. That is how they get around the boundary. I agree they should be multiplied in some way.

Especially when football is that special program

And their boundary is HUGE, from the river down to around 67th.. i am guessing there MIGHT be a few more people that live there than in the typical 4A district..

You can all thank the influx of charter schools as well as the closing of many neighborhood schools for the current state of affairs here in Chicago. Selective enrollment public schools also change the dynamics.

Kids are no longer forced to go to their neighborhood school if that school is considered "underperforming". As an 8th grader you can apply and go to just about any school in the city.

Reactions: epicbret
Yes, I assumed you meant new to the team this year. Those 2 were on the field last year in the beatdown.

Two that remain from last year's beat down - they had others last year too.

So that's good - only one more added. We will match your six D1 athletes with
Goodwin, Colden, Brown, Strong, Willis and Bester - maybe others too.

They returned 7 defensive starters. I don't doubt the talent, I was in the stands for last years Rochester game. The problem will be handling Phillips defensive pressure. It is like nothing you have seen till you see it. Your QB will simply have no time to throw and that makes Goodwin and Colden useless. Plus Bester will never get out of the backfield to begin with to use his speed.

They returned 7 defensive starters. I don't doubt the talent, I was in the stands for last years Rochester game. The problem will be handling Phillips defensive pressure. It is like nothing you have seen till you see it. Your QB will simply have no time to throw and that makes Goodwin and Colden useless. Plus Bester will never get out of the backfield to begin with to use his speed.
Some of the Althoff linemen reached puberty and grew.

You may be dead nuts right - but I'm looking forward to seeing it. I should say Rochester concerns me - I'm sure they do and people who matter are making plans, but I see Althoff and Phillips in the finals again in a much closer game.

Althoff is pretty good this year but they are about the same as last year, which is good! The problem with a team like Althoff is their level of competition is mediocre. They play the smaller schools in the area. They never face still competition until semifinals. Case in point, last years team was dominated by Phillips. Mainly because they had never seen a defensive that stacked the box and matched up with its receivers. 4A down south has no competition that compares to Phillips. Althoff needs to schedule some heavy competition for the first two games of the season to make me believe in them. They are athletic but it takes another level in the playoffs. Althoff will have problems with Rochester this year.

However, I'm from ESL and I hope all teams, that are still in it from this area make a good run...Seems like the Chicago area don't give us the credit we deserve.

Reactions: Gene K.
I'm with you there Tez. I usually follow Edwardsville or Du Quoin throughout the season, but once playoffs hit I'm a SWC fan all the way followed by other teams down here in our area. The lack of respect from up North is laughable sometimes.

I'm with you there Tez. I usually follow Edwardsville or Du Quoin throughout the season, but once playoffs hit I'm a SWC fan all the way followed by other teams down here in our area. The lack of respect from up North is laughable sometimes.

Edgy has ESL ranked #1 in 7A, how is that lack of respect????

Reactions: CGsupporter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT