ADVERTISEMENT

What to call a coach?

I think these grown should stop acting like babies, players should address you as Coach to everyone else your just some guy.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
I think these grown should stop acting like babies, players should address you as Coach to everyone else your just some guy.
Disagree.

If Saban walked up to you, would you address him as Nick? Don’t think most people would address their local HS coach by his first name, let alone Saban.

Disagree.

If Saban walked up to you, would you address him as Nick? Don’t think most people would address their local HS coach by his first name, let alone Saban.
I would likely call him coach. Not as a respect thing, but because it would likely be less awkward than calling him Nick. Same thing as saying "hey man" instead of saying "hey Nick" to some guy I meet at a party.

Meeting someone the first time, coach. Build a relationship over time or reporters that are on the beat see the same guy every day, call them by their first name.

I would likely call him coach. Not as a respect thing, but because it would likely be less awkward than calling him Nick. Same thing as saying "hey man" instead of saying "hey Nick" to some guy I meet at a party.
All rules are thrown out if it’s a party.

“What’s good Nick” is sufficient in the party scene

Reactions: mullin17
I usually use someone's "honorary" title - for sure, Father, Sister, Brother, Reverend, et cetera. Doctors in a formal setting (I worked at the NU Hospital - some younger docs, away from work, we called by their first names.) Judge, Officer .. yes.

I do NOT always call Ph.D.s Doctor - but one I always do, but call him "the good Doctor," as a reference to Hunter S. Thompson.

I called my coaches Coach or Coach NAME, or BossMan, when instructed. Just saw our linebacker coach (team attorney too) and I called him Coach Bone.

I call my friends who coach Coach as a term of endearment.

But for some layperson to bestow such value to being called Coach, that they pitch a fit if not referred to in that manner, I say ... well, that would get me banned. But let's just say I oppose such a position.

• Love
Reactions: Gene K. and USD24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT