ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn week 8?!?!?!

LakeCtyNewt

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002
A thrilling and fun week of football across our great state. These playoffs coming up will be a hoot.

1 - That the secret is out, the Warren defense is legit.
2 - That it’s the same old story, New Trier is good until they play Maine South.
3 - That the WSC Silver is a 3-horse race to the very end.
4 - That Providence did play this week, but Montini played better.
5 - That Meadows and Hersey put on a classic show and both will be beasts in 7A.
6 - That a change at QB may be what the doctor ordered at LZ. At least for now.
7 - That there is no doubting Cary Grove any longer.
8 - That Loyola is getting scary, err I mean healthy.
9 - That SCN and Batavia gave us a classic that could be a 7A rematch.
10 - That it would be cool to see LWE play IC. Just because.

One more week to go!

Last edited:
A thrilling and fun week of football across our great state. These playoffs coming up will be a hoot.

1 - That the secret is out, the Warren defense is legit.
2 - That it’s the same old story, New Trier is good until they play Maine South.
3 - That the WSC Silver is a 3-horse race to the very end.
4 - That Providence did play this week, but Montini played better.
5 - That Meadows and Hersey put on a classic show and both will be beasts in 7A.
6 - That a change at QB may be what the doctor ordered at LZ. At least for now.
7 - That there is no doubting Cary Grove any longer.
8 - That Loyola is getting scary, err I mean healthy.
9 - That SCN and Batavia gave us a classic that could be a 7A rematch.
10 - That it would be cool to see LWE place IC. Just because.

One more week to go!

13 - That Maine West continues to build a program and will play for the undisputed CSL North crown next week. Kradman deserves a ton of credit for what he has built from scratch without the resources that are found at most of your larger schools.

Whole heartedly agree with Newt's #10. That's a game I'd love to witness!!

Couple years ago I stated that IC could compete and be a threat up to 6A.
That statement brought out the torches and pitchforks. A couple of well known north shore types in particular....
Now people are talking about IC competing against the consensus #1 overall. Main stream.
How ironic...

That statement brought out the torches and pitchforks. A couple of well known north shore types in particular....
Now people are talking about IC competing against the consensus #1 overall. Main stream.
How ironic...

I didn’t say that. I would like to see it. :D

How ironic...

Ah. No.

I think people would like to see IC on the other side of a running clock. Which is what I think would happen if they played LWE.

Reactions: SWsuburbs4
LWE is a beast, Ic is a good 4A team, don’t be silly that it would be a game. Depth in all football programs has seen substantial hits except for a few hot spots, LWE is one area that has very healthy numbers. Great numbers, solid coaching and supportive community is the recipe for a successful program.

I don't know! ICCP Is a ranked program. Ahead of all but one CL Blue, One CL Green & most West Suburban Conference teams. And they're the best program in the powerful Mid-Suburban Conference. From everything I read, I agree with Newt!!

With everyone certain that the CL Blue is down, ICCP would blow through those programs like a hot knife through butter!!!

When does LWE have its next non-conference opening to test itself against The Knights?

Come on JLP, it is the metro suburban not the mid suburban conference, I have yet to hear anyone talk of a powerful conference. " a hot knife through butter" definitely makes me laugh, depth and talent has to increase 3 fold to compete week in and week out in the CCL. It is definitely not like the old days of the wscc. Keep up the great work. Go Broncos

It’s the same argument as the mid major college powers such as Boise St. in their heyday.
Could IC compete with the big boys in a one game scenario? Yeah I think they could hold their own quite well against most.
The lack of depth would take its toll over a full season.

After seeing Naz and IC play, I think that would be a great game. I think in a one game showdown, IC wins. IC is faster then Naz but not bigger. As we know, speed kills. Would love to see that match up.

After seeing Naz and IC play, I think that would be a great game. I think in a one game showdown, IC wins. IC is faster then Naz but not bigger. As we know, speed kills. Would love to see that match up.

That’s Naz
How do you think they would stack up with East?

It’s the same argument as the mid major college powers such as Boise St. in their heyday.
Could IC compete with the big boys in a one game scenario? Yeah I think they could hold their own quite well against most.
The lack of depth would take its toll over a full season.

No - I think it’s more like James Madison playing Alabama.

Jmu is a great team in their classification (FCS). But stepping up to play the top team in FBS - is way too much to ask.

No - I think it’s more like James Madison playing Alabama.

Jmu is a great team in their classification (FCS). But stepping up to play the top team in FBS - is way too much to ask.

I’m not of the opinion that IC would beat LWE or any of the top 5, so we are in agreement. I’m not sure they would get clocked, but they’d be definite underdogs. Give me IC +40 and I’d probably take them vs anyone.
I do, however, think they would be very competitive in a 5A or 6A bracket, even more so back in 2016 when the had D1 kids at QB and RB to go along with many of the current group who were sophs at the time, which is when I made that original statement.

The odds are, IC will come back down to earth eventually. These last three years (2016-2018) have been a great run. It's not easy to three-peat, especially if you get bumped up a class (3A to 4A in this case).

The success factor will end up pushing IC up to 5A if they win enough championships and then they will really have their hands full.

The only programs that can sustain this kind of winning, especially when being pushed up a class or two by the "Success Factor" are teams that are extremely effective at recruiting. Let's be honest. Montini and Naz cast a very wide net when it comes to securing football talent. They are willing to send buses out to pick kids up and offer significantly discounted tuition to cobble together top-tier talent and winning.

We'll see if IC is willing to make that kind of play for athletes. From a location perspective, IC is smack dab in the middle of Montini and Naz. Perhaps IC could be disruptive to Bronco and the Road Runners and even water down the talent levels at those schools if they can steal recruits.

My position is that IC will level out eventually like most schools do. We'll see...

The success factor will end up pushing IC up to 5A if they win enough championships and then they will really have their hands full.

The only programs that can sustain this kind of winning, especially when being pushed up a class or two by the "Success Factor" are teams that are extremely effective at recruiting. Let's be honest. Montini and Naz cast a very wide net when it comes to securing football talent. They are willing to send buses out to pick kids up and offer significantly discounted tuition to cobble together top-tier talent and winning.

We'll see if IC is willing to make that kind of play for athletes. From a location perspective, IC is smack dab in the middle of Montini and Naz. Perhaps IC could be disruptive to Bronco and the Road Runners and even water down the talent levels at those schools if they can steal recruits.
I wonder if this is already starting to happen at Montini and Naz. They both have low numbers on their freshmen rosters. If it's a one-year blip for both, it's not a big deal. If it's the beginning of a trend, then the landscape is possibly changing. There is a lot of competition for student/athletes in the Western burbs. I would expect Wheaton St. Francis to become a bigger "player" for talent as well.

I wonder if this is already starting to happen at Montini and Naz. They both have low numbers on their freshmen rosters. If it's a one-year blip for both, it's not a big deal. If it's the beginning of a trend, then the landscape is possibly changing. There is a lot of competition for student/athletes in the Western burbs. I would expect Wheaton St. Francis to become a bigger "player" for talent as well.

The thing Montini has going for them is wrestling. IC and Naz don't have the high profile wrestling program Bronco does. The football players who also wrestle will continue to be drawn to Montini.

Reactions: Gene K.
The odds are, IC will come back down to earth eventually. These last three years (2016-2018) have been a great run. It's not easy to three-peat, especially if you get bumped up a class (3A to 4A in this case).

My position is that IC will level out eventually like most schools do. We'll see...

Send out buses? Holy Cow! Mt. Carmel started that when i was a sophomore. Mendel and Leo should have done the same thing.

Discounted tuition? All Catholic schools give breaks to promising kids from families with limited finances. All sorts of kids at MC get a tuition break and most of them never played a minute of football. I got half of my tuition waived, and I never played, either.

Sounds like the anti-Catholic crowd is stirring their pot.

Reactions: Gene K.
Send out buses? Holy Cow! Mt. Carmel started that when i was a sophomore. Mendel and Leo should have done the same thing.

Discounted tuition? All Catholic schools give breaks to promising kids from families with limited finances. All sorts of kids at MC get a tuition break and most of them never played a minute of football. I got half of my tuition waived, and I never played, either.

Sounds like the anti-Catholic crowd is stirring their pot.
Cat Box is a private school guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT