ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn week 3!?!?!?!

The conference only has 8A playoff teams. Why wouldn't ESL petition up to 7A then. Hmmmmm....
Collinsville, Alton, Granite City and Belleville West are all 7a schools. Collinsville just made the playoffs the last 2 years. When they came up with the rule Alton and Belleville West were also playoff teams.

I have a question for ya. How is it your conference lets you fly around playing ranked teams throughout the United States yet they wont let you play up 2 classifications??? How is that even friggin possible. I would think the conference wouldn't let y'all play out of state or something assine like that. I personally think its Chicago Mt Carmel but that's just my and a few catholic Caravan brothers belief.
So, your comment regarding ESL and CG had nothing to do with how good CG is, but instead has everything to do with taking a shot at ESL?? Or maybe even just an indirect plug for MC……Got it!! MC being “considered” the best is that important to you?? Insecure much?? Wow.

Catholic? Isn’t there scripture that infers, “Let your yes be yes, and your no be no,”? In other words, you could have just made your assertion that MC is the Best Team in the State without your apparent need to knock another program in doing so.

Last edited:
I have a question for ya. How is it your conference lets you fly around playing ranked teams throughout the United States yet they wont let you play up 2 classifications??? How is that even friggin possible. I would think the conference wouldn't let y'all play out of state or something assine like that. I personally think its Chicago Mt Carmel but that's just my and a few catholic Caravan brothers belief.
HUN defeated MC AT…… MC. ESL defeated IMHOTEP at………IMHOTEP. Let that marinate.

Last edited:
Just so i understand your point, you think esl is dodging MC and instead chooses to play IMG, St. John Bosco, Atascocita, Imhotep, CBC, etc. Make it make sense.

Last edited:
Could you please rephrase that last sentence? What do you mean by "its Mt Carmel..." Mt. Carmel what?

So basically you're a MC guy taking a cheap shot at ESL for no valid reason 😂 Jealousy is not a good look.

Reactions: TigerforFlyers
HUN defeated MC AT…… MC. ESL defeated IMHOTEP at………IMHOTEP. Let that marinate.
Watched you guys play live here in PA this past Saturday and I thought this was the best ESL team I’ve seen since 2014 or 2015. Y’all took it to Imhotep and they should be top 2 In PA 5A maybe overall.

Well we beat you what 4 games in a row several for Trophies...
Okay, Mikey. Everyone on this board knows that. Let me help you, here ya go….. MC is the GREATEST program ever in ILLINOIS and always will be; no other program comes close. Satisfied? You could have just outright said that and let it rest.

• Haha
Reactions: McEvergreen
One thing about EStL is, when playing an elite team from other states, they mentally know there's no shame in losing. I have no idea how many close games they have had with these elite teams but I know they have been beaten soundly several times. Again, this is not a shameful thing but the mentality of playing teams, in the playoffs, they don't get challenged until the later rounds. Tha Lemont game a few years ago was a battle but when they play Cary Grove (and Mighty Mt Carmel) they know, in their minds, they haven't beat the Trojans (or Mighty Caravan) which allows doubt to creep in their minds, especially in the last 2 games with CG. They know that CG can put a long drive to kill the clock or score a TD to take, or extend, the lead.

That doubt, until extinguished, will always be there.

Now you can say they play a tough schedule and are worn out by the time the playoffs start. Just look at the 7A/8A teams and their schedules. Talk about a gauntlet of a regular season but then they have the playoffs, yet the elite teams win as if they are well oiled machines.

No one ever doubts the talent EStL has and when the Flyers play teams from other states (expect from Alabama) Im rooting for them! So its not jealousy or envy of the Flyers that I take Mighty Mt. Carmel and Cary Grove against EStL. I love power running teams and Mt. Carmel is on a pedestal for me.

One thing about EStL is, when playing an elite team from other states, they mentally know there's no shame in losing. I have no idea how many close games they have had with these elite teams but I know they have been beaten soundly several times. Again, this is not a shameful thing but the mentality of playing teams, in the playoffs, they don't get challenged until the later rounds. Tha Lemont game a few years ago was a battle but when they play Cary Grove (and Mighty Mt Carmel) they know, in their minds, they haven't beat the Trojans (or Mighty Caravan) which allows doubt to creep in their minds, especially in the last 2 games with CG. They know that CG can put a long drive to kill the clock or score a TD to take, or extend, the lead.

Now you can say they play a tough schedule and are worn out by the time the playoffs start. Just look at the 7A/8A teams and their schedules. Talk about a gauntlet of a regular season but then they have the playoffs, yet the elite teams win as if they are well oiled machines.

No one ever doubts the talent EStL has and when the Flyers play teams from other states (expect from Alabama) Im rooting for them! So its not jealousy or envy of the Flyers that I take Mighty Mt. Carmel and Cary Grove against EStL. I love power running teams and Mt. Carmel is on a pedestal for me.
Let me be brief, you’re and idiot!

This is just an insanely dumb post. They go out there and try and win every game and take no joy in the moral victories. The last dozen or so out of state games ESL has played, they have been "beaten soundly" twice. They have also probably had twice as many out of state games where they won the game by 3 or 4 scores. How do you not know that but seem so confident in talking about ESL schedule and what they can and cant do mentally? (Just fyi, CBC was the state champ in MO largest class and ESL gave them their worst loss in school history)

I wasnt as brief as @jwarigaku but we share the same thoughts.

Translation: "I have no idea what happens when they play, but I absolutely know their mentality when they play."

Collinsville, Alton, Granite City and Belleville West are all 7a schools. Collinsville just made the playoffs the last 2 years. When they came up with the rule Alton and Belleville West were also playoff teams.
So ESL is supposed to care about 2 schools that haven't been in the playoffs in 6 years.

Neither of the 7a schools have made the playoffs since this bogus rule. Maybe its the curse of flyers.

Collinsville is Independent

Alton 1910.50 hasn't qualified in 6 seasons
Belleville East 2439 8a Qualifier
Belleville West 2111 Border 7A/8A hasn't qualified in 6 seasons
Edwardsville 2307 8A Qualifier
O'Fallon 2488 8A

No ah-ha moment for you. They are not allowed to petition more than one class - max to 6A. This was in place for about 10 years and some were 7A then.
ESL was 7A in 2018, none of the current 7A conference teams have made the playoffs since then.

So ESL is supposed to care about 2 schools that haven't been in the playoffs in 6 years.

Neither of the 7a schools have made the playoffs since this bogus rule. Maybe its the curse of flyers.

O'Fallon 2488 8A
ESL never had a concern for any school which is why the had been petitioning to 7A since 2009. In 2013 and 2014, the Principal at ESL High did not allow the team to petition up therefore the team was in 6A. In 2015 there was a new Principal which allowed the Petition in 2015 and 2017. After the 2017 season, the conference put the rule in place to prevent both football and basketball from petitioning up. Based on the 2 year agreement, 2018 was the last year of 7A.

What are you talking about? ESL didnt make the rules, it was a SWC rule

O'Fallon 2488 8A
The rule was passed prior to the 2018 season (ESL lost in the 7a quarterfinals to MC) and implemented the start of the 2019 season (ESL won 6a vs PR) The 5 season prior to 2018....
Alton made the playoffs twice.
BW made the playoffs 5 times.
Edwardsville was a 7a playoff team in '13,

The short answer is because the other schools in the conference are in those classes, and they got tired of ESL knocking Belleville West out of the playoffs in the first round. Ok, maybe that wasn't all that short. The really short answer is they're some haters.

Ok I understand the conference rules and agree with them to a point. Use 2019 for example Belleville West won the 4A title in Boys basketball ESL won the 3A title. That makes the conference look good. Ok MC won the 7A title in football last year LA won the 8A title doesn’t that make the ccl look good . What if every year the are both 8a. Less title for ccl. I am sure every one wouldn’t like to see that happen every year.

Okay, Mikey. Everyone on this board knows that. Let me help you, here ya go….. MC is the GREATEST program ever in ILLINOIS and always will be; no other program comes close. Satisfied? You could have just outright said that and let it rest.
I wish we could go back to the old days where Lincoln Tigers & Assumption Pioneers were still playing football.

Ok I understand the conference rules and agree with them to a point. Use 2019 for example Belleville West won the 4A title in Boys basketball ESL won the 3A title. That makes the conference look good. Ok MC won the 7A title in football last year LA won the 8A title doesn’t that make the ccl look good . What if every year the are both 8a. Less title for ccl. I am sure every one wouldn’t like to see that happen every year.
Yeah, but not quite, because as others have said, E’ville and B-East could have still represented the SWC in 8A, while ESL was in 7A. E’ville is the only other consistent playoff contender in the conference. I realize that things were different when the rule was made; B-West was competing, but still.

I’d say playing in the Catholic Blue and then 7a/8a playoffs is a tougher schedule over 14 weeks than ESL.
Calpreps and Massey say otherise.

IMG vs ESL 28-14
vs MC 42-21
vs Rice 52-3
vs St. Ig 52-8

HUN vs ESL 21-28
vs MC 42-38
vs Rice 48-17
vs St. Ig 48-24

oh and Loyola, (BTW I went to a Jesuit school)

ESL 35-7
vs IMG 42-6
vs HUN 38-21

Stop hatin on the Flyers. The Mount Carmel Super Team of 2023 squeaked one out against ESL in 23. And the 24 team is dominant....as the Ramblers will tell the rest of the CCL. And remember, the Flyers are a PUBLIC 5A school in community with a 31% poverty rate playing UP in 6A against the best squads they can schedule.

Calpreps and Massey say otherise.

IMG vs ESL 28-14
vs MC 42-21
vs Rice 52-3
vs St. Ig 52-8

HUN vs ESL 21-28
vs MC 42-38
vs Rice 48-17
vs St. Ig 48-24

oh and Loyola, (BTW I went to a Jesuit school)

ESL 35-7
vs IMG 42-6
vs HUN 38-21

Stop hatin on the Flyers. The Mount Carmel Super Team of 2023 squeaked one out against ESL in 23. And the 24 team is dominant....as the Ramblers will tell the rest of the CCL. And remember, the Flyers are a PUBLIC 5A school in community with a 31% poverty rate playing UP in 6A against the best squads they can schedule.
You’re not on topic bud.

Not talking about who is a better team.
The topic is tougher schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT