ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn week 3!?!?!

LakeCtyNewt

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002
Wow we are a third of the way through the season - goes fast.

1 - That a good story is developing at North Chicago. Good athletes and coach Adams has it working.
2 - That I think we swung and missed on Waubonsie Valley. It's early but ugh.
3 - That Loyola is still Loyola.
4 - That Alec Thomas cannot get here soon enough for the Caravan
5 - That the coaching changes at Lakes and Lake Zurich are working out just fine - both are a combined 6-0.
6 - That Providence is one of those scary teams come playoff time.
7 - That we can add Buffalo Grove and Plainfield Central to the 3-0 feel good lists.
8 - That the race at the top of the ESCC looks two be two horses - Naz and Marist.
9 - That Barrington is emerging as the early MSL west fav - well at least until they face palatine.
10 - That Montini is alive and well, at least for this week.

Moving along to week 4.

Reactions: emdee91 and Gene K.
Nazareth may have the most talented group of 2019's and 2020's in the area. Excellent chance of setting up the big 10/6 matchup at Marist with both undefeated

Ty Gavin is a beast with the ball for ND

Cosign for SwSuburbs4...Plainfield North will finish 9-0...no one in the conference can match the speed as

'19-'20 you say :cool:

11. First time Ive seen a legit 2 min offense @ The Brook

Last edited:
I've learned that Beth Long still hates CG.

Too funny, she is horrible with her ranking. I believe she hates the whole FV. Last year, she had PR at like 20 for most of the season. Think she still rated MC in top 10 when they had 3 losses.

Reactions: Gene K.
It seems if they're north of I-290 she dismisses them..

Check out her current rankings? I just love it when people complain and moan about something as subjective as rankings when in the end they mean absolutely nothing.

Check out her current rankings? I just love it when people complain and moan about something as subjective as rankings when in the end they mean absolutely nothing.

It's entertaining. But she is terrible. Year in year out her lack of knowledge on high school football she is being paid to cover is scary.

It's entertaining. But she is terrible. Year in year out her lack of knowledge on high school football she is being paid to cover is scary.
I actually had the opportunity to speak with her about 5 years ago. She does know football, but unfortunately her background in covering recruiting probably influences her rankings too much. Plus, hers are about on par with the other area rankings. Each person has their own biases and you can see them play out throughout the season. Some hesitate to drop traditional powers no matter how bad they lose. Some prefer a particular area. Some give extra weight to a particular conference. Perhaps some prefer a class.

If they don't have the Brook above Lyons then they have a fatal flaw.

Reactions: Gene K.
You're right. I'm surprised the Bright One is still in circulation and that poll even existed.

I actually had the opportunity to speak with her about 5 years ago. She does know football, but unfortunately her background in covering recruiting probably influences her rankings too much. Plus, hers are about on par with the other area rankings. Each person has their own biases and you can see them play out throughout the season. Some hesitate to drop traditional powers no matter how bad they lose. Some prefer a particular area. Some give extra weight to a particular conference. Perhaps some prefer a class.

Oh Bones you never cease to entertain me....so who's my bias towards....and so what is it do you want the Raiders under the radar or over the radar??? Seems like no matter what anyone does with Bolingbrook year in and year out they are wrong in your eyes....

Oh Bones you never cease to entertain me....so who's my bias towards....and so what is it do you want the Raiders under the radar or over the radar??? Seems like no matter what anyone does with Bolingbrook year in and year out they are wrong in your eyes....
Everyone has a ranking bias, there's no way not to. Pjjp pointed out mine with it being large class heavy. Beth likes recruits. I would say you are hesitant to drop traditional powers no matter how bad the beating. Mike Clark, I don't know, his is more of a scatter shot. Etc.

As for The Brook, when the expectations are high I lower them when they are low I raise them (when appropriate). Last couple years I'm pretty sure I wasn't lobbying for a ranking, not after week 1 at least.

This year we have direct comparisons with OP-RF and Lyons to go off of that both went heavily in one direction. At the end of the day we argue until it's game time.

Reactions: EdgyTim
Here is her last year final rankings...look at the preseason rank next to it. 14 of the 25 were not ranked in her preseason poll... By accident, you should be able to get at least 1/2.

With record and preseason ranking

1. Maine South (11-3) 19
2. Prairie Ridge (14-0) NR
3. Loyola (13-1) 1
4. Palatine (12-1) NR
5. St. Charles East NR
6. Glenbard West (10-3) 5
7. Homewood Flossmoor (10-1) 4
8. Neuqua Valley (10-1) 11
9. Lyons (8-3) 15
10. Barrington (11-1) 23
11. Fenwick (11-2) NR
12. Plainfield North (11-2) NR
13. IC Catholic (14-0) NR
14. Lemont (11-1) NR
15. Hinsdale Central (9-1) NR
16. Phillips (11-2) 10
17. Huntley (8-4) NR
18. Brother Rice (9-2) 13
19. Oswego (10-1) NR
20. Bradley-Bourbonnais (10-1) NR
21. St. Laurence (9-4) NR
22. Mount Carmel (8-5) 2
23. Benet (10-3) NR
24. Lincoln-Way East (9-3) 6
25. Vernon Hills (10-4) NR

I'm not sure about the rankings from week to week, especially given the wide range of views this week of my beloved GW Hitters (from 8th, to 13th, to 22nd).Each week, some teams get healthier, others lose kids and are scrambling to replace them for next weekend. It's kind of a crap shoot each week, but one thing is certain: if you aren't getting better each week relative to the others on the list, you should lose a place or two in the rankings. And as of this weekends performance, I think Brooks outplayed a few teams ahead of them. That doesn't mean they've earned the step up, but everyone should be watching them next weekend. And IMHO, GW's 4th quarter performance is something to keep an eye on, too!

I actually agree with you 1000%. Bolingbrook would spank LT.

Everyone has a ranking bias, there's no way not to. Pjjp pointed out mine with it being large class heavy. Beth likes recruits. I would say you are hesitant to drop traditional powers no matter how bad the beating. Mike Clark, I don't know, his is more of a scatter shot. Etc.

As for The Brook, when the expectations are high I lower them when they are low I raise them (when appropriate). Last couple years I'm pretty sure I wasn't lobbying for a ranking, not after week 1 at least.

This year we have direct comparisons with OP-RF and Lyons to go off of that both went heavily in one direction. At the end of the day we argue until it's game time.

And we agree to disagree...shake hands and look forward to the next debate...that's how it should be

only ranking that matters is the final one!!!!!!

The quarterfinals at all levels on are great for helping sort those out at the end of the year.

As often noted here, everything else is just spaghetti thrown up on the wall. Its High School kids that a.) by nature of the beast, is a new set every year b.) get hurt c.) get distracted or under/over perform based on what ever is distracting them at any given second, just like 17 & 18 year olds in all walks of life regardless of playing sports or not. Teenagers have the attention spans of knats chugging red bull.

Reactions: PRokie
Wow we are a third of the way through the season - goes fast.

1 - That a good story is developing at North Chicago. Good athletes and coach Adams has it working.
3 - That Loyola is still Loyola.
4 - That Alec Thomas cannot get here soon enough for the Caravan
5 - That the coaching changes at Lakes and Lake Zurich are working out just fine - both are a combined 6-0.
6 - That Providence is one of those scary teams come playoff time.
7 - That we can add Buffalo Grove and Plainfield Central to the 3-0 feel good lists.
8 - That the race at the top of the ESCC looks two be two horses - Naz and Marist.
9 - That Barrington is emerging as the early MSL west fav - well at least until they face palatine.
10 - That Montini is alive and well, at least for this week.

Moving along to week 4.

Is the Dominiak kid not playing that big of a deal?
What's going on? Didn't like 6-7 kids start as Sophs. on the team that made the semi's that are now Seniors? Aren't they always hot for 2 weeks, cold for 2 weeks?

Is the Dominiak kid not playing that big of a deal?
What's going on? Didn't like 6-7 kids start as Sophs. on the team that made the semi's that are now Seniors? Aren't they always hot for 2 weeks, cold for 2 weeks?

Well it couldn't hurt to have him on the field, but if his heart is not in it and he wanted to follow his other love/activity - it's probably for the best.

Oh how I could write the novella - but some of it looks eerily similiar to last years "inconsistencies". (Some - not all)

Example Neuqua Valley game. That was just a horrible loss. WV pounds it for 155 rushing yards almost all between the tackles and finishes with 185 receiving years (340 total) BUT turns the ball over 5 times plus a blocked FG and only got 7 points in garbage time. NV on the other hand managed just 250 yards but 98 of it was on one pass play on broken coverage. The key stat? WV 5 turnovers and NV 0 turnovers. The most important stat? NV got 29 points.

IMHO a couple of those turnovers can be shared with the play calling. We kinda fell out of love with gashing the middle of the 3-3-5 and fell in love with wide pitches and long horizontal sideline bubble screen type passes (which 3-3-5 is well suited to defend minus the Payton/Reed success in week 2). Then we got too far behind to run much.

I will be interested to see if the team rallies themselves for a good showing Friday. Now is the time...

Last edited:
only ranking that matters is the final one!!!!!!

. Its High School kids that a.) by nature of the beast, is a new set every year b.) get hurt c.) get distracted or under/over perform based on what ever is distracting them at any given second, just like 17 & 18 year olds in all walks of life regardless of playing sports or not. Teenagers have the attention spans of knats chugging red bull.

Hit the nail on the head.

Once reffing a game, QB throws a pass directly to a kid wearing another colored shirt. I can hear half of the conversation the HC is having with some one on his head phones. It went like this. Space between lines is when he is listening to whoever is on the other end

"He has girlfriend problems"

"He got into a fight with her last night'

"I don't know, what it was over"

"We don't have another quarterback"

Needless to say it became a long game for this team

Well it couldn't hurt to have him on the field, but if his heart is not in it and he wanted to follow his other love/activity - it's probably for the best.

Oh how I could write the novella - but some of it looks eerily similiar to last years "inconsistencies". (Some - not all)

Example Neuqua Valley game. That was just a horrible loss. WV pounds it for 155 rushing yards almost all between the tackles and finishes with 185 receiving years (340 total) BUT turns the ball over 5 times plus a blocked FG and only got 7 points in garbage time. NV on the other hand managed just 250 yards but 98 of it was on one pass play on broken coverage. The key stat? WV 5 turnovers and NV 0 turnovers. The most important stat? NV got 29 points.

IMHO a couple of those turnovers can be shared with the play calling. We kinda fell out of love with gashing the middle of the 3-3-5 and fell in love with wide pitches and long horizontal sideline bubble screen type passes (which 3-3-5 is well suited to defend minus the Payton/Reed success in week 2). Then we got too far behind to run much.

I will be interested to see if the team rallies themselves for a good showing Friday. Now is the time...

WV needs a good showing as you point out. It will be very difficult without the best player on the field.

And we agree to disagree...shake hands and look forward to the next debate...that's how it should be
I think I echoed a similar thought on a separate thread a week ago and got absolutely crucified for it. Or maybe I'm remembering it incorrectly. Could be the MSPTSD kicking in. Yikes...I think I hear someone in PR gathering nails and eyeing up trees as I write this...

11. That some people on this board are more sensitive than my wife on day 28.

12 - that some people like to act like Fox News and make fun of a life altering tragedy. I'm sure my friends down in Florida are far more sensitive than I. Try your joke on them and see if they take it well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT