ADVERTISEMENT

Western Big Six/TRAC Week 7 review and Week 8 preview

jotapepe

Jul 20, 2021
Western Big Six
Moline 55, Galesburg 10 - Galesburg had hung with some people this year. Moline got a pick-six on the first drive and never looked back, in one of their best performances of the year.
Sterling 54, Rock Island 19 - It seems like the Warriors heard how Moline was doing, and just clocked a real contender in Rock Island. Fearsome performance from Sterling.
UTHS 42, Alleman 6 - This one was only 6-0 at halftime. Good for UT to get their first win.
Quincy 35, Geneseo 17 - Geneseo scored the last 14 points of the game to make this look closer, but Quincy certainly looked nice and have effectively clinched a playoff spot.
I was 4-0 last week. This week:
Moline over Sterling - this one is just what was anticipated at the start of the year, the conference championship game. (The winner clinches at least a share of the Big Six title.) I think Moline, at home, is a slight favorite. Anything could happen. Gonna be a great one.
Rock Island over Geneseo - If it wasn't for Moline-Sterling, this would be the game of the week. It's a must-win for both 4-3 teams, as both have tough games next week (Rocky goes to Quincy, while Geneseo faces Moline). The winner basically clinches a playoff spot, while the loser looks likely to be out. I think the Rocks will rise up to get this one, but again, any result would not surprise me.
UTHS over Galesburg - The Streaks took this game last year but they looked really bad against Moline, while the Panthers rediscovered their offense in the second half last week. A nice bit of good news for whichever team wins this one.
Quincy over Alleman - A nice get-healthy game for Quincy going into the playoffs (likely 6A but possibly 7A), as the Devils will hope to get to 7-2 and possibly host a game.

TRAC
Princeton 56, St. Bede 7 - A Tiger win wasn't a surprise, but a 40-point win was a shock. St. Bede is still a good team, but Princeton... scary, scary, scary. Their next home game should be a first-round home game and you can bet they will be pumped.
Kewanee 35, Mendota 34 - This conference has a lot of solid teams but not a lot of separation in the middle, and this proves it. The Boilermakers keep their slim playoff hopes alive at least for another week.
Erie-Prophetstown 33, Bureau Valley 0 - This one looks about right. BV is falling apart.
Newman 20, Hall 18 - Newman scored a touchdown on the last play of the game, showing how close these teams are. Huge win for Newman, crushing for Hall.
Monmouth-Roseville got the forfeit win.
Morrison 55, Orion 13 - This one was every bit as shocking as Princeotn. I didn't think Morrison would win - I didn't think in a million years they'd running-clock Orion. Meantime, Orion's playoff shot is basically dead.
Rockridge 35, Sherrard 21 - Rockridge has semeed to be slowing down for the last three weeks, though the Tigers are definitely showing more pluck.
I was 4-2 last week (missed on Kewanee and Morrison). This week:
Rockridge over Kewanee - The Rockets should certainly be on upset alert this week, as Kewanee has a slim shot at the playoffs if they win out. But I can't pick against Rockridge, especially in Rock Island County.
Orion over Sherrard - Again, Orion ought to be on upset alert, and I have no faith in Orion, but they do seem better than Sherrard.
Morrison over LeRoy - This game is at home and Morrison will make the 1A playoffs if they can win this game and next week against Erie-Prophetstown. I think the Mustangs get to 4-4 at least.
Erie-Prophetstown over Monmouth-Roseville - a must-win for both 4-3 teams, as EP has a tricky jaunt to Morrison next week and Monmouth-Roseville gets the enjoyable task of hosting Princeton. I think, at home the Panthers are a little better.
Princeton over Bureau Valley - BV is streaking down, Princeton is chugging along. This shouldn't be close.
Newman over Mendota - Mendota will be desperate, and Newman is 0-3 at their "home" at Sterling High School so far this year. But I think the Comets have some things figured out and they have decent momentum.
St. Bede over Hall - Hall is a daunting team when they figure things out, and they will be all out for this game with a 3-4 record and Bureau Valley next week. But St. Bede is at home in this rivalry, and they should bounce back all right.

WB6

Sterling over Moline: This one should be a slobberknocker. Two teams that run the ball well and play good defense. I think this one comes down to who can limit big plays by the opposing team and who can have a better passing game. Will be glued to this one Friday night.

Rock Island over Geneseo: HUGE game for both teams and winner should get a playoff spot and the loser will stay home week 10. Both teams face very tough battles week 9, so it is now or never. I think Rocky just has a few too many weapons for the Leafs to handle.

United Township over Galesburg: UT got that first win of the season and will be riding that high into this one. Galesburg hasn’t won since week 2 and hasn’t looked good in losses. If UT’s starting QB plays, bigger advantage to them. Can see this one being a close game.

Quincy over Alleman: Alleman is plucky, but Quincy’s throwing pass will quickly overwhelm the Pioneers. Reserves are in after halftime.

TRAC

I love this conference, just never know what is going to happen week to week (outside of Princeton smashing someone). Not to mention that just about every game this week is do or die for playoff hopes.

Rockridge over Kewanee: I think Rockridge is the better team and is playing at home, but Kewanee is playing for it’s season and that makes determined teams dangerous. I think Rockridge over comes the Boilermakers and basically ends their season.

Sherrard over Orion: Orion looks like a team that has gone flat. They still technically have a chance to win out and make the play offs, but I think an always game Sherrard team picks them off and ends that chance.

Morrison over LeRoy: Morrison is on a little roll after last weeks pasting of Orion. A win this week sets up a week 9 do or die game with EP.

Monmouth-Roseville over Erie-Prophetstown: Two 4-3 teams looking for win #5. I think Monmouth is slightly better of a team and realizes that they play Princeton week 9. I think this is a coin toss game, but Monmouth will want to play Princeton with 5 wins instead of 4 and pull off a squeaker.

Newman over Mendota: More coin flip games! Newman seems to be getting a few more things figured out on offense and always plays tough defense. Comets will score late (again) to win this one.

Hall over St. Bede: The upset special! This is Hall’s chance to get 4th win before a very winnable game with Bureau Valley week 9. St. Bede is very good this year and can sling the ball all over the field. I think somehow, someway Hall pulls off the upset and plays for a shot at the playoffs next week.

Princeton over Bureau Valley: Poor BV, next slide.

Reactions: Gene K.
Princeton is just on another level from every single other TRAC team and it isn’t even close. I’m not surprised at the blowout against St Bede.

Mendota, Newman, Kewanee, and Hall all holding out hope for playoffs but might be tough to get more than 1 in.

Reactions: Swansa01
I believe outside of Sherrard and BV, every other TRAC team is playing either for seeding (Rockridge, Princeton, St. Bede) or fighting to get to 5 wins (EP, Morrison, M-R, Orion, Hall, Kewanee, Newman, and Mendota). This week should see some hella good games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT