ADVERTISEMENT

West Suburban Silver Week 6

kitty_bintingot

Gold Member
Aug 10, 2017
GOW: Willobrook @ York: If the Dukes lose, then they have to win out against OPRF, PW and DGN to make the playoffs. Can't assume a W against OPRF, and so this game is a must win for them. I'm predicting that the Dukes get it done and put themselves in a position to qualify for the playoffs. It might seem counter intuitive given that Willobrook beat HC and HC beat York by a few possessions. But things are different here in week 6.

York has the beef upfront to give Willobrook's defensive front issues. I can see them not falling behind early and so not being forced to go to the air, then controlling the clock in the 2nd half with lots of veer and read option and power carries for positive yardage. Add in the must-win factor and I see the York o-line really getting hoggish up front with a couple big runs and nicely designed short pass plays that get some of York's other offensive weapons the ball in space. The defense does enough to get the job done.

I do have some lingering second thoughts regarding how tough and hard the Willobrook kids play ball, but I got the sense from last week that there are the right kind of attitudes on the York sidelines, and think the Dukes finally get their payoff. Would be a *huge* win for Fitz and the boys over in Elmhurst. York 28 Willobrook 17

OPRF @ DGN: DGN has kids on defense that play hard and want to win, and I think it'll be telling whether or not OPRF can rifle off somewhere between 31-38 points on this defense. The staff over there has had the past couple weeks to figure out how to improve the offense. Anyone know if they are expecting any weapons back on offense? @OPRF Illini 96 OPRF with a tuned-up offense would be a tough out in 8A. Defense is legit. OPRF 26 DGN 0

Lyons @ GW: All quiet on the lakes of Glen Ellyn as GW looks to put down LT and prepare for its trip to Hinsdale for what could be the WSS championship. GW 40 LT 0

HC @ PW: See ^. HC will be trying to get some of the wounded healthy after the homecoming bruiser against York. HC 42 PW 0

What's the board thinking on Willbrook @ York?

Last edited:
I do have some lingering second thoughts regarding how tough and hard the Willobrook kids play ball, but I got the sense from last week that there are the right kind of attitudes on the York sidelines, and think the Dukes finally get their payoff. Would be a *huge* win for Fitz and the boys over in Elmhurst. York 28 Willobrook 17

I think this week's games are pretty straight forward....your take on WB vs York is intriguing.

HC @PW
LT@GW
OPRF@DGN ... all three games appear to be one sided contests.

WB @ York is a tough one...WB beating HC is almost an automatic pick for WB to win, but like you said this is do or die for York... on the other hand there has been a noticeable shift in the culture over at WB for the last 3-4 years, and they have been winning even when (on paper) they shouldn't. If York is going to see a similar shift in their culture, I think they could pull out this one, if not, they would need to win out.

Next year can we start tracking the picks and name a conference game picking champion? I need the competition and a goal to strive towards (the title) to get myself engaged to pick all the games!

That said - I’m rooting for York. Love kitty’s analysis! I think it will be close! If I was behind in the picking rankings - I would go with my heart and York! If I was atop the leader board - I would play it safe and pick Willowbrook as I think most people would be leaning WBs way since they beat HC.

I'd love to pick York over WB, but The Dukes looked their old selves last week against HC. I think WB wins this one by 14.

GW over LT by 35 (which seems to be the point spread where GW sits starters); HC over PW by 42. OPRF needs to bring some D to beat DGN, which showed some passing prowess last week vs GW. OPRF by 14.

Good stuff kitty.

I think Willowbrook will eek out a win, but York is on the right path.

HC will dominate PW.

Next week's match with GW at home is going to be crucial for the Red Devils.

Who’s playing QB for York? That’s the difference in a close-ish Willowbrook win and a blowout Willowbrook win.

It's a great analysis Kitty. You are right on many fronts and all of your picks are spot on, except one. Willowbrook will beat York by 21+ points.

York refuses to change anything on the defensive side of the ball. Willowbrooks QB will run for 100 + yards against the four man front and the cover-two. Remember, despite losing a great D Lineman for the year against GBW, the DLine is still well coached and very good. Further, the middle of the field for Yorks defense remains a vast wasteland of long touchdowns and has been from week 1. With that, I can guarantee you that Willowbrooks QB will also throw three touchdowns.

To add, when has anyone seen one of Fitzgeralds offenses throw only four passes in three quarters? That was what happened against HC. It was painfully obvious that the poor planning by the defensive coordinator handcuffed the offense so bad that they had to try to control the ball on the ground. Of courses, Felice (Irish LB) would state that Yorks QBs are bad...or at least one of em and that's why York had to run the ball. Not true. York had two possessions in the 1st half, got the kickoff at the 1 inch line (very wierd) and gave HC the ball in York territory the rest of the game.

If York plays to its weakness again, which is a D Coordinator that refuses to change, a 21 point defeat might seem like a victory against one of the best coached teams in the western suburbs. I simply dont understand how a D Coordinator is allowed to run a team through his inability and/or refusal to change.

York has a choice to make...change on defense or throw 50+ passes and hope you complete half of them.

Willowbrook wins this game going away and York finishes 3-6. Oh...take the over in this game..
Lol. Willowbrook 42, York 20 (28 to 7 at half).

Of courses, Felice (Irish LB) would state that Yorks QBs are bad...or at least one of em and that's why York had to run the ball. Not true.

What on Earth are you talking about? Can you read? I actually said the game would be significantly closer if York’s starting QB played. A dad on here blaming the defensive coordinator, your true colors are shining bright. Sadly your analysis is as strong as your investigation skills, not too good.

Who’s playing QB for York? That’s the difference in a close-ish Willowbrook win and a blowout Willowbrook win.
Not sure because both QBs got PT last week against HC. Not sure if Fitz was rotating them or if the one who got injured was still nursing an injury.

It's a great analysis Kitty. You are right on many fronts and all of your picks are spot on, except one. Willowbrook will beat York by 21+ points....

Willowbrook wins this game going away and York finishes 3-6. Oh...take the over in this game..
Lol. Willowbrook 42, York 20 (28 to 7 at half).
Thank you for the contribution Magnum.

I too thought that we would have seen York throw the ball at least 30 times, but it didn't look as though York was going to have to pass the ball at all going into the second half. Let me explain:

HC received to start game and went on a 13 play TD drive. York responded with its own 13 play TD drive of which *12 of 13 plays were runs*. I hadn't seen HC look so powerless trying to stop the run all year on that drive. RB #7, LG #66 and HB/TE #11 (edit: #11 didn't play vs GW) were dominating, plus good play from the QB on couple option keepers and the rest of oline play (can't remember which QB, maybe both).

HC then got the ball back and went on another 12 play TD drive that ended with about 5 mins left in first half. York then started the next drive at its own 20, ran the ball 5 consecutive times to get a couple first downs and had the ball around midfield. Still the run looked unstoppable. But now you're at about 3 mins left in half and don't have time for another 8 run plays. Then Fitz dialed up the first play action pass downfield in about 13 plays or so and it got picked off. So at least going into half I was thinking that York was gonna come out and run the ball to tie it up and try to chew enough clock to have time to get a shot to either tie it or win it late in the 4th.

They start the 2nd half on their own goal line because a York player misplayed the kick off, the ball spun off him and went out of bounds at York goal line. They come out running the ball and whadya know? They get a first down. But this was the moment where the game changed. HC got two nice stops on the next two runs plays, then on 3rd Fitz goes to the air and it looks like an INT but refs overrule it. York punts and HC punts back. York takes over at 20, still totally in a position to do something to win, but one run gets stuffed and then Fitz dials up a pass the next play with HC getting a pick. Basically 3 of the last 3 pass plays that had been called had all gotten picked, whereas the run had been close to unstoppable but HC made some adjustments going into 2nd half that forced York to throw the ball downfield.

York would end up throwing two more picks, plus lose a bad unforced fumble, giving HC short field to work with the whole 2nd half. That's not a problem with the defense.

Tl;dr The point is that while York defensive backfield has its problems, the defensive performance alone cannot be said to explain the 35-13 loss to HC in any kind of satisfying way. 5-13 with 4 ints (could easily have been 5 or 6 ints) versus a solid 8A playoff team explains better why the score was so lopsided.

On a good note, I was so impressed by the grittiness of the run defense (HC outsized York upfront by many inches and LBs) and the offensive run game, that I truly think York will control a smaller WB squad that has maybe 8 guys going both ways. I know everyone is taking Willobrook but I think there was a lot more to praise about York in their games against GW and HC than people are realizing.

The key will be York not playing catch up and having to throw the ball downfield. Power runs, short pass plays, screens, and veers/read options. That's York's bread and butter. If they can stick to that I can see them moving the ball all day against Willobrook. But if they have to throw downfield....welll...that's Tumility territory.

Last edited:
Heck I'll chime in.

First of all, no way GW beats LT by 40 or whatever has been stated.......

..... it's gonna be more like 137-0 and I'm not kidding. LT lost 18 of 22 starters to begin with, I kind of question their coaching, and they were getting killed in the trenches. Now they've lost their two best OL/DL as well as their TE for the season, then lost their starting QB during game 2 to a broken thumb and there is literally not another QB on the roster who can throw a forward pass. They have a backup WR running the "wildcat" each and every play. I'd hold back, but it's not like other teams aren't seeing this in film. They actually have a really good secondary, but no reason any opponent would ever throw the ball.

With respect to York/Willowbrook I'm taking York. Just because I'm rooting for them. Really nice coaching staff and kids. I work chains for almost all home games and after being annoyed a bit by the Sandburg folks and then seeing the most disgusting behaviour I've ever seen in the Leyden head coach, it was refreshing to see the York head coach and his staff. Really really into the game, but not belittling his players or the other team, not relying on profanities, not threatening volunteer parents, etc. Thumbs up to York, rooting for you all from here on out. Leyden needs to find a better representative for their school.

Reactions: Q5clan and chuck998
What on Earth are you talking about? Can you read? I actually said the game would be significantly closer if York’s starting QB played. A dad on here blaming the defensive coordinator, your true colors are shining bright. Sadly your analysis is as strong as your investigation skills, not too good.

As I said previously, I look forward to our next meeting.

Thank you for the contribution Magnum.

I too thought that we would have seen York throw the ball at least 30 times, but it didn't look as though York was going to have to pass the ball at all going into the second half. Let me explain:

HC received to start game and went on a 13 play TD drive. York responded with its own 13 play TD drive of which *12 of 13 plays were runs*. I hadn't seen HC look so powerless trying to stop the run all year on that drive. RB #7, LG #66 and HB/TE #11 (edit: #11 didn't play vs GW) were dominating, plus good play from the QB on couple option keepers and the rest of oline play (can't remember which QB, maybe both).

HC then got the ball back and went on another 12 play TD drive that ended with about 5 mins left in first half. York then started the next drive at its own 20, ran the ball 5 consecutive times to get a couple first downs and had the ball around midfield. Still the run looked unstoppable. But now you're at about 3 mins left in half and don't have time for another 8 run plays. Then Fitz dialed up the first play action pass downfield in about 13 plays or so and it got picked off. So at least going into half I was thinking that York was gonna come out and run the ball to tie it up and try to chew enough clock to have time to get a shot to either tie it or win it late in the 4th.

They start the 2nd half on their own goal line because a York player misplayed the kick off, the ball spun off him and went out of bounds at York goal line. They come out running the ball and whadya know? They get a first down. But this was the moment where the game changed. HC got two nice stops on the next two runs plays, then on 3rd Fitz goes to the air and it looks like an INT but refs overrule it. York punts and HC punts back. York takes over at 20, still totally in a position to do something to win, but one run gets stuffed and then Fitz dials up a pass the next play with HC getting a pick. Basically 3 of the last 3 pass plays that had been called had all gotten picked, whereas the run had been close to unstoppable but HC made some adjustments going into 2nd half that forced York to throw the ball downfield.

York would end up throwing two more picks, plus lose a bad unforced fumble, giving HC short field to work with the whole 2nd half. That's not a problem with the defense.

Tl;dr The point is that while York defensive backfield has its problems, the defensive performance alone cannot be said to explain the 35-13 loss to HC in any kind of satisfying way. 5-13 with 4 ints (could easily have been 5 or 6 ints) versus a solid 8A playoff team explains better why the score was so lopsided.

On a good note, I was so impressed by the grittiness of the run defense (HC outsized York upfront by many inches and LBs) and the offensive run game, that I truly think York will control a smaller WB squad that has maybe 8 guys going both ways. I know everyone is taking Willobrook but I think there was a lot more to praise about York in their games against GW and HC than people are realizing.

The key will be York not playing catch up and having to throw the ball downfield. Power runs, short pass plays, screens, and veers/read options. That's York's bread and butter. If they can stick to that I can see them moving the ball all day against Willobrook. But if they have to throw downfield....welll...that's Tumility territory.

I like your posts...always quality! Thanks for picking up my spirits!

and then seeing the most disgusting behaviour I've ever seen in the Leyden head coach, it was refreshing to see the York head coach and his staff.
I can't imagine that the Leyden and Sandburg faithful would go so far as to disrespect thee, Father, and thy ordained work to keep the chains moving! Blasphemy!

Edit: And thank you for chiming in. Much appreciated.

FWIW, I think it's wild to think that York has fallen to the point that beating a Willowbrook team would be considered a huge accomplishment. Not meant as a slight to Elmhurst, but there was a time, not too long ago, that York would've just smothered them.

As I said previously, I look forward to our next meeting.
More threats? I’ve heard you also have been threatening people in real life... All because some posters don’t agree with you on a message board? That’s next level special. I just wanted you to know that I promised I would no longer interact with you on here so our beautiful connection will have to cease. I’m slapping the ignore feature on you so I won’t even see your messages. If you miss me you can always track down my number like you did his and send me the same anonymous threats.

FWIW, I think it's wild to think that York has fallen to the point that beating a Willowbrook team would be considered a huge accomplishment. Not meant as a slight to Elmhurst, but there was a time, not too long ago, that York would've just smothered them.

While that is true, I also hasten to point out Willowbrook has improved to the point where no one can expect to just walk in and smother them, they are a well coached team with some pretty good athletes. But it is still a shame to see York has fallen on hard times... I hope to see the trend reversed.

Reactions: Gene K.
Well, I was wrong about the York-WB upset. Haven't been able to watch the game but all indicates that the Warriors controlled this one. DGN has also totally surprised. Not sure if it's that DGN has gotten a lot better as the season has gone on or if the wheels are falling off with OPRF.

Well, I was wrong about the York-WB upset. Haven't been able to watch the game but all indicates that the Warriors controlled this one. DGN has also totally surprised. Not sure if it's that DGN has gotten a lot better as the season has gone on or if the wheels are falling off with OPRF.

Was at the game tonight. DGN played tough, it was their Homecoming and I expected the Trojans to give OPRF a battle. Sean Cassens is a gritty, tough QB for DGN; he gave the Huskies fits with his scrambling. Was hard to bring down in the backfield until the last drive when OPRF came up with back-to-back sacks to seal the win.

I am concerned with the Huskies' offense. Jaden McGill continues to impress running the ball, but he's got to improve his throwing. He overshot a pair of wide-open receivers early in the game. Also, seemed as if OPRF was relying heavily on the running game. At some point the Huskies will need to pass more in order to keep defenses guessing. That's probably why Toby Kunkel (McGill's backup) saw time against Morton and PW - he's the better passer.

And the defense - while it clamped down on DGN in the second half - gave up a couple of big plays in the second quarter that set up both Trojan touchdowns. Still need a little more consistency IMO.

OPRF should beat both York and LT but unless the offense shows significant improvement, it will be in trouble at Glenbard West.

Was at the game tonight. DGN played tough, it was their Homecoming and I expected the Trojans to give OPRF a battle. Sean Cassens is a gritty, tough QB for DGN; he gave the Huskies fits with his scrambling. Was hard to bring down in the backfield until the last drive when OPRF came up with back-to-back sacks to seal the win.

I am concerned with the Huskies' offense. Jaden McGill continues to impress running the ball, but he's got to improve his throwing. He overshot a pair of wide-open receivers early in the game. Also, seemed as if OPRF was relying heavily on the running game. At some point the Huskies will need to pass more in order to keep defenses guessing. That's probably why Toby Kunkel (McGill's backup) saw time against Morton and PW - he's the better passer.

And the defense - while it clamped down on DGN in the second half - gave up a couple of big plays in the second quarter that set up both Trojan touchdowns. Still need a little more consistency IMO.

OPRF should beat both York and LT but unless the offense shows significant improvement, it will be in trouble at Glenbard West.
I've watched McGill several times this season. He's just a Sophomore, right? I think if he would be, or learns to be, a little more patient in the passing game, and let the play develop a few more seconds, he will start connecting on those passes. He seems a little impatient, imho, but that's easy for me to say since I don't have several large individuals trying to smash into me every play. As for the GW game, OPRF will need a passing threat to stay in the game against GW. Again, imho, the OPRF running game will not do well against the GW defense. But, I will be at that game to see how if it all comes together for OPRF.

Weekend Takeaways: Willobrook 28 York 14: Wasn't able to see the game so I can't say much detail-wise, but I do have a couple things to say about Willobrook. It's hard to beat a team that wants it more than you do, and it seems like Willobrook wants it more than most, perhaps all. A blowout win wk 1 against Curie, plus wins against HC, York, and HS (whose 6-0 wk 1 loss to Kaneland looks more impressive each week) is quite an accomplishment. They'll run a train through their remaining 3 opponents to finish 9-0 and take a one seed in 6A. I haven't talked with anybody over there but I suspect that the goal and expectation is nothing less than bringing home a state championship to the mean streets of VP! Best wishes to the players and staff over there as they approach week 10.

I framed the game as a must win for York, but given the DGN-OPRF game, I recant that statement and add that the playoffs are still within reach for York. But they gotta take their play to the next level. Next week vs OPRF should be great.

OPRF 21 DGN 14: Many thanks to @OPRF Illini 96 for his take on the game. I'd like to see the couple big plays that set up DGN's TDs to see to what extent the OPRF defense was challenged. Have to give credit to DGN for the gritty play and sounds like Cassen is starting to come into his own at QB. Good for him. DGN should beat LT and DGS to set up a must win week 9 versus York for a playoff berth. Nothing like a 5-4 DGN sneaking into the 7A playoff field and making noise.

OPRF offense still struggling with McGill throwing the ball. Will be interesting to see if coach Horester brings in Kunkel next week vs York or vs GW. I was impressed with Kunkel since the first time I saw him a couple years ago. Would love to know more about why Horester went with McGill going into the season. OPRF is almost certainly a lock for the playoffs sitting at 4-2 with LT wk 9. But you sure don't want to be the 5-4 team that draws those dark, powerful, wretched beasts they call the Griffins over in Frankfurt. So expect a battle next week with York.

GW 41 LT 7: Was able to catch some of this one on NFHS. I'd like to know whether @SilverHelmets @chuck998 and @capnbillhitters were satisfied with the offensive/defensive performance. It's not as though they struggled but it also didn't strike me as though they dominated in a way that would've satisfied me, if I were a GW fan. Not trying to be provocative or controversial, that's just the honest impression I was left with after seeing this one. Also curious to get the thoughts of Father @Guido Sarducci , as always.

HC 47 PW 8: I'm impressed with the way HC Dan Hartman has gone about the offense since the loss of Skokna and the athletic 6'6 TE, both of whom were crucial in the wk 1 win @ Naperville Central. After Willobrook and OPRF I was starting to fear the worst. But everyone on that side of the ball has stepped up and the HC offense has jelled into a well-rounded group with a couple legitimate deep ball threats, consistent o-line play and a deep stable of diverse backs. They will need to play with that kind of well-roundedness to move the ball against GW next week. The defense is ready, and they are one more high-level performance away from a West Suburban Silver championship. Go Devils!

Last edited:
Weekend Takeaways: Willobrook 28 York 14: Wasn't able to see the game so I can't say much detail-wise, but I do have a couple things to say about Willobrook. It's hard to beat a team that wants it more than you do, and it seems like Willobrook wants it more than most, perhaps all. A blowout win wk 1 against Curie, plus wins against HC, York, and HS (whose 6-0 wk 1 loss to Kaneland looks more impressive each week) is quite an accomplishment. They'll run a train through their remaining 3 opponents to finish 9-0 and take a one seed in 6A. I haven't talked with anybody over there but I suspect that the goal and expectation is nothing less than bringing home a state championship to the mean streets of VP! Best wishes to the players and staff over there as they approach week 10.

I framed the game as a must win for York, but given the DGN-OPRF game, I recant that statement and add that the playoffs are still within reach for York. But they gotta take their play to the next level. Next week vs OPRF should be great.

OPRF 21 DGN 14: Many thanks to @OPRF Illini 96 for his take on the game. I'd like to see the couple big plays that set up DGN's TDs to see to what extent the OPRF defense was challenged. Have to give credit to DGN for the gritty play and sounds like Cassen is in fact starting to come into his own at QB. Good for him. DGN should beat LT and DGS to set up a must win week 9 versus York for a playoff berth. Nothing like a 5-4 DGN sneaking into the 7A playoff field and making noise.

OPRF offense still struggling with McGill throwing the ball. Will be interesting to see if coach Horester brings in Kunkel next week vs York or vs GW. I was impressed with Kunkel since the first time I saw him a couple years ago. Would love to know more about why Horester went with McGill going into the season. OPRF is almost certainly a lock for the playoffs sitting at 4-2 with LT wk 9. But you sure don't want to be the 5-4 team that draws those dark, powerful, wretched beasts they call the Griffins over in Frankfurt. So expect a battle next week with York.

GW 41 LT 7: Was able to catch some of this one on NFHS. I'd like to know whether @SilverHelmets @chuck998 and @capnbillhitters were satisfied with the offensive/defensive performance. It's not as though they struggled but it also didn't strike me as though they dominated in a way that would've satisfied me, if I were a GW fan. Not trying to be provocative or controversial, that's just the honest impression I was left with after seeing this one. Also curious to get the thoughts of Father @Guido Sarducci , as always.

HC 47 PW 8: I'm impressed with the way HC Dan Hartman has gone about the offense since the loss of Skokna and the athletic 6'6 TE, both of whom were crucial in the wk 1 win @ Naperville Central. After Willobrook and OPRF I was starting to fear the worst. But everyone on that side of the ball has stepped up and the HC offense has jelled into a well-rounded group with a couple legitimate deep ball threats, consistent o-line play and a deep stable of diverse backs. They will need to play with that kind of well-roundedness to move the ball against GW next week. The defense is ready, and they are one more high-level performance away from a West Suburban Silver championship. Go Devils!
Regarding the LT - GW game, I thought GW lacked intensity today. In addition, they have a tendency, which they've been developing all season, to kinda get lost at times during the game, where they make mistakes at key moments of the game (ie, silly penalties that kill momentum). However, this season there are plenty of examples of the team playing really well, and more so in the last few games. In years where GW has made deep playoff runs, there is that one game where the kids get it all put together and play well for an entire game, which sets the pace for the rest of the season. If this team can find that game they can go very deep in the playoffs. Still waiting for that game this season.

I only watched some of the first half. It was always going to be a blah game with LT being so poor this year and the game been sandwiched between homecoming and the bigger games of the season. Overall I am not too high on the Hitters hopes this season. They don’t have the size they had a few years ago when they were churning out high D1 linemen every season. In 8A they will win a first round game but after that it will depend on matchups.

I can't imagine that the Leyden and Sandburg faithful would go so far as to disrespect thee, Father, and thy ordained work to keep the chains moving! Blasphemy!

Edit: And thank you for chiming in. Much appreciated.

Ha Ha. Thanks, and you are right. How unholy of them! :)
Honestly the Sandburg folks were mostly nice minus one assistant coach, York coaches are awesome, and no issues with any of the Leyden faithful except their head coach. He's going to implode at some point.

I only watched some of the first half. It was always going to be a blah game with LT being so poor this year and the game been sandwiched between homecoming and the bigger games of the season. Overall I am not too high on the Hitters hopes this season. They don’t have the size they had a few years ago when they were churning out high D1 linemen every season. In 8A they will win a first round game but after that it will depend on matchups.

Yeah, what was it 41-7 or something?.... and I missed the game but saw the score and my first thought was "wow, not as bad as I thought" lol.

LT is jinxed. Not only did they just lose a ton, but there top 6 players were out today (starting QB, RB, MLB, best two OL/DL and safety). No excuses but with their early season struggles and all these injuries I expected worse.

Nothing but respect for GW, but sounds like they were a bit lethargic today. Doesn't help that it was a day game and they probably knew it wouldn't be much of a battle.

Now I wonder if York can get back to playing the way it weeks 1-3? When Irish LB and me are both correct about a game and on the same page, something ain't right! Lol

Coach to your strength and forget about your weaknesses.

Looking back at weeks 1-3, York played New Trier tough and then beat winless AT and 1 win LT. I think they will beat Proviso but lose to OPRF and DGN. They have definitely improved but are still near the bottom of a tough conference

Looking back at weeks 1-3, York played New Trier tough and then beat winless AT and 1 win LT. I think they will beat Proviso but lose to OPRF and DGN. They have definitely improved but are still near the bottom of a tough conference

Let’s look back even further - weren’t there a couple of folks wringing their hands saying the Silver was “down” and “not good” this year when most of teams did poorly (except York and HC) and all lost (except HC) in week one during the non con games? And a few others saying “hold on” it’s just one week and week one to boot? A lot can change in a month!!! Hell a lot can change in even just a couple weeks!

I don't see the playoffs being too kind to the Silver

Still early! But if true,..Then my question would be.....how can it be “a tough conference then?

The more games I watch this year,...the ugly thought this is crawling into my head is that the level of play seems to be really down overall compared to even 4-5 years ago. And before all the LWE guys stroke out - I am excluding LWE. I haven’t seen them play and also there are always going to be exceptions - I’m talking overall/in general.

Exactly. A lot will depend on the draw everyone gets.

Agree. I’m starting to believe that the overall level of play is dropping from years past (whether that is due to lower numbers and/or injuries that exacerbate the issue when matched with less depth, I’m not sure,... just going off my eyes and what I’ve seen season to date).

I think there are going to be some very questionable teams making the playoffs in 8A and 7A and probably 6A. A larger amount of them than in years past. I think we are going to see more upsets and also more total running clock blowouts than in years past.

Reactions: kitty_bintingot
I starting to believe that the overall level of play is dropping from years past

That's an interesting thought, Vodooo, and I also get that sense. Although it's hard to know whether or not that is true, and what criterion we could use to make that judgement other than the fact that it just strikes us that way (I personally don't find leaving it at that satisfying, though perhaps aged high school football eyes make for the best reasoners on these questions). You suggested lower overall numbers as a reason. If we're right that the talent level is down, and it's true that numbers are down overall, then that fact must be part of any explanation as to why the overall level is down.

Here's another reason to suspect as much at least in the WSS: there's no major D1 offensive line prospect or QB in the WSS this year. Normally when the WSS is competing at a high level there will be some major power 5 talent in the mix (from HC think the Allen brothers, Kramer, Bowers, Grezlakowski, Morse, Beuke, the Pilcher brothers, Bunting; from GW Dunbar, Schutt, Chris Watt, Johnny Caspers, Jordan Walsh, Brodner, Nathan Marcus; from LT Bryant, Matthew Harris, Zack Mahoney plus a couple others; from DGN someone from the Edwards family plus others whose names escape me at the moment; from PW Rasheed Lemon, Kyle Prater, Jammal Payton plus others; I can't think of anyone from York but I know there were some in years past).

But does it follow, then, that the WSS is down (and likewise suppose that's true of Illinois ball state-wide, apply the same question to IL generally)? I'm not sure. Is power 5 talent a reliable guide to make inferences about the overall level of play in a particular conference or state?

What other reasons could be given to support the belief we have that the overall level of play is down this year?

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
That's an interesting thought, Vodooo, and I also get that sense. Although it's hard to know whether or not that is true, and what criterion we could use to make that judgement other than the fact that it just strikes us that way (I personally don't find leaving it at that satisfying, though perhaps aged high school football eyes make for the best reasoners on these questions). You suggested lower overall numbers as a reason. If we're right that the talent level is down, and it's true that numbers are down overall, then that fact must be part of any explanation as to why the overall level is down.

Here's another reason to suspect as much at least in the WSS: there's no major D1 offensive line prospect or QB in the WSS this year. Normally when the WSS is competing at a high level there will be some major power 5 talent in the mix (from HC think the Allen brothers, Kramer, Bowers, Grezlakowski, Morse, Beuke, the Pilcher brothers, Bunting; from GW Dunbar, Schutt, Chris Watt, Johnny Caspers, Jordan Walsh, Brodner, Nathan Marcus; from LT Bryant, Matthew Harris, Zack Mahoney plus a couple others; from DGN someone from the Edwards family plus others whose names escape me at the moment; from PW Rasheed Lemon, Kyle Prater, Jammal Payton plus others; I can't think of anyone from York but I know there were some in years past).

But does it follow, then, that the WSS is down (and likewise suppose that's true of Illinois ball state-wide, apply the same question to IL generally)? I'm not sure. Is power 5 talent a reliable guide to make inferences about the overall level of play in a particular conference or state?

What other reasons could be given to support the belief we have that the overall level of play is down this year?

I’m not sure we can prove it one way or the other - I think it’s more of my perception with trying to compare the play of this year vs play from years past.

I think even if we watched a ton of film from this year and a ton of film from let’s say 5 years ago - it would still be “one’s perception” and a relatively subjective answer and the answer could vary from person to person.

Interesting topic though. Would like to hear what others think.

Reactions: kitty_bintingot
Voodoo: How did you do on your predictions this week. Interested minds want to know!

Not good! I went 3-1 in the Dukane. And it was the dang LP lancers that tripped me up again.

On the ESCC front - I think I did even worse. 3-2? I know I missed on the JCA game and I think I missed on the Marian/Pats game as well.

I need a Bye week to heal up and regroup!!!

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT