ADVERTISEMENT

Week 7 forfeits/reschedules

jotapepe

Jul 20, 2021
New week, new changes!

- Urbana has forfeited their game to Richwoods (forfeiting all season). The Peoria paper implies Richwoods will take the forfeit win. They took a forfeit win last week - their first of any sort this year.
- Juarez is forfeiting their season and this week Gage Park is the team without a game. No word on what they will do.
- Vienna-Goreville has forfeited their season, so Flora has no game this week.
- Sullivan-Okaw Valley has forfeited their season, so Shelbyville has no game this week. According to Maxpreps (I can't get any confirmation on this otherwise, though the Mattoon/Charleston newspaper last week did say they were talking), Flora and Shelbyville have scheduled each other.
- Watseka has cancelled their season so Dwight now has an open week. No word on what will happen - Dwight has homecoming so they will want a game.
- Tuscola has had to forfeit to St. Teresa due to Covid, so St. Teresa has an open week. St. Teresa is looking for a game. (I don't know how competitive St. Teresa at Dwight would be, but it's an option.)
- Benet has an open week. Not a forfeit, just never filled the week - I think this was originally supposed to be St. Joe's before they closed.
- To me, the biggest question mark is Breese Mater Dei. They are still apparently set to play True Divine Word Academy out of St. Louis. As best I can tell, TDW is a school that offers part-time on-campus schooling and at least one day a week of remote learning. They are a little unusual but evidently not a Bishop Sycamore reboot. They originally had a nice schedule with multiple Missouri teams, but all of those games have gone away, and now Maxpreps only lists them with two wins over nameless "non-varsity opponent" teams. Their Twitter claims they are 3-1 but doesn't show who they have played. TDW's only remaining games against actual teams are supposedly Breese Mater Dei this week and Cahokia in Week 9. I have found no news for TDW, no word, nothing. I have significant doubts about whether these games will happen. I don't know how the IHSA will treat them. If these games are forfeits, fine for Mater Dei and Cahokia. If not, then they need to find someone right away. (Especially Cahokia, who is currently sitting at 2-4 and likely will be 4-4 going into Week 9. They are a legitimate state championship contender based on their skill if they make the playoffs - one loss was to COVID and the other three lossses were close losses to huge teams.)

If Mater Dei has an open week and needs to schedule someone, I think they have a couple of options:

1. St. Teresa-Breese Mater Dei would be a gigantic matchup. Two 6-0 teams? That's beautiful, and it might just be a preview of a playoff game. St. Teresa has already picked up one game this year against a strong opponent when they could've easily sat home and taken the forfeit win.
2. It seems that Benet and Breese Mater Dei had an agreement in preseason that Benet would go to Breese this week. The game was listed on Benet's IL8to18 schedule for a long time, and briefly was on Maxpreps before it was taken off. It would make sense for both teams, if they have open weeks, to get that game back. Beats an open week.

All speculation, of course. If anyone has any reschedule/forfeit news, or knows anything about the Breese Mater Dei/TDW situation, please let us know. Thanks y'all!

All.... I looked TDW up a few weeks ago and came up with zilch as well. The Missouri State High School Activities Association has three categories of schools. Member schools, affiliate registered schools, and home school association. TDW was not listed on any of them. I seem to recall but could be mistaken but the Ihsa insists that out of state opponents have to be in a state association for wins, losses and I assume a forfeit to be counted. If so Mater Dei and Cahokia better start looking for replacements if TDW is not in the MSHSAA. Ratsy

Last edited:
All.... I looked TDW up a few weeks ago and came up with zilch as well. The Missouri State High School Activities Association has three categories of schools. Member schools, affiliate registered schools, and home school association. TDW was not listed on any of them. I seem to recall but could be mistaken but the Ihsa insists that out of state opponents have to be in a state association for wins, losses and I assume a forfeit to be counted. If so Mater Dei and Cahokia better start looking for replacements if they re not in the MSHSAA. Ratsy
Interesting as I have never heard of this rule.

All.... It makes sense if that is indeed the Ihsa rule. There are liability issues involved as well as securing a place to play and getting refs. Belonging to an high school association makes sure you meet certain minimum requirements. Maybe TDW does belong. It would make things much easier for the Knights and Comanches. Ratsy

Thank you both for that! I'm looking at bylaw 2.050, "Schools with which contests may be held", which reads as follows:

"Member schools may permit eligible students to participate in competitive activities as school representatives only with the following:

(a) [IHSA members]
(b) [schools that are members of another state's association]
(c) [schools that aren't IHSA members but are approved by the IHSA for competition]
(d) [schools that aren't other state's association members but are approved by the other state's association for competition]

... " I cleaned up the language to avoid the bureaucratic goobledygook in the handbook. "First, let's kill all the lawyers." (I will make that joke, it's about my own profession.)

According to the MSHSAA's website (https://www.mshsaa.org/Schools/Navigation.aspx?s=1620), TDW is an "Affiliate Registered" school. Their only activity is football, and their only scheduled games are Mater Dei and Cahokia. Not sure how the "Affiliate Registered" interacts with Section 2.050(d) but I think some administrators at Mater Dei and Cahokia better start making some calls, and do it now.

Also of note, TDW had originally scheduled Chicago Hope for Week 3, based on the schedule I had found, but Hope Academy ended up with Kankakee that week after Thornridge forfeited to Kankakee.

I posted before about TDW weirdness in relation to playing Cahokia, it certainly seems like a lot of weirdness is going down. I did find their game results this year here though: https://stats.stlhighschoolsports.com/sports/football/stats/teamschedule.php?s=831&t=9354
Madison is the only team I recognize, they are a pretty small school down here in the Metro East and they aren’t a very good team. Madison actually lost 49-0 to St.Teresa in their last game, so that may help y’all understand them. And since Madison beat TDW, I wouldn’t be worried about Cahokia or Breese beating them(if the game happens)

New week, new changes!

- Urbana has forfeited their game to Richwoods (forfeiting all season). The Peoria paper implies Richwoods will take the forfeit win. They took a forfeit win last week - their first of any sort this year.
- Juarez is forfeiting their season and this week Gage Park is the team without a game. No word on what they will do.
- Sullivan-Okaw Valley has forfeited their season, so Shelbyville has no game this week. According to Maxpreps (I can't get any confirmation on this otherwise, though the Mattoon/Charleston newspaper last week did say they were talking), Flora and Shelbyville have scheduled each other.
- Watseka has cancelled their season so Dwight now has an open week. No word on what will happen - Dwight has homecoming so they will want a game.
- Tuscola has had to forfeit to St. Teresa due to Covid, so St. Teresa has an open week. St. Teresa is looking for a game. (I don't know how competitive St. Teresa at Dwight would be, but it's an option.)
- Benet has an open week. Not a forfeit, just never filled the week - I think this was originally supposed to be St. Joe's before they closed.
- To me, the biggest question mark is Breese Mater Dei. They are still apparently set to play True Divine Word Academy out of St. Louis. As best I can tell, TDW is a school that offers part-time on-campus schooling and at least one day a week of remote learning. They are a little unusual but evidently not a Bishop Sycamore reboot. They originally had a nice schedule with multiple Missouri teams, but all of those games have gone away, and now Maxpreps only lists them with two wins over nameless "non-varsity opponent" teams. Their Twitter claims they are 3-1 but doesn't show who they have played. TDW's only remaining games against actual teams are supposedly Breese Mater Dei this week and Cahokia in Week 9. I have found no news for TDW, no word, nothing. I have significant doubts about whether these games will happen. I don't know how the IHSA will treat them. If these games are forfeits, fine for Mater Dei and Cahokia. If not, then they need to find someone right away. (Especially Cahokia, who is currently sitting at 2-4 and likely will be 4-4 going into Week 9. They are a legitimate state championship contender based on their skill if they make the playoffs - one loss was to COVID and the other three lossses were close losses to huge teams.)

If Mater Dei has an open week and needs to schedule someone, I think they have a couple of options:

1. St. Teresa-Breese Mater Dei would be a gigantic matchup. Two 6-0 teams? That's beautiful, and it might just be a preview of a playoff game. St. Teresa has already picked up one game this year against a strong opponent when they could've easily sat home and taken the forfeit win.
2. It seems that Benet and Breese Mater Dei had an agreement in preseason that Benet would go to Breese this week. The game was listed on Benet's IL8to18 schedule for a long time, and briefly was on Maxpreps before it was taken off. It would make sense for both teams, if they have open weeks, to get that game back. Beats an open week.

All speculation, of course. If anyone has any reschedule/forfeit news, or knows anything about the Breese Mater Dei/TDW situation, please let us know. Thanks y'all!
It looks like the 9/10 game for TDW was initially scheduled vs Chicago Hope Academy. It appears that game was cancelled and Hope played Kankakee instead. Hopefully Cahokia is working on a new week 9 opponent!

I posted before about TDW weirdness in relation to playing Cahokia, it certainly seems like a lot of weirdness is going down. I did find their game results this year here though: https://stats.stlhighschoolsports.com/sports/football/stats/teamschedule.php?s=831&t=9354
Madison is the only team I recognize, they are a pretty small school down here in the Metro East and they aren’t a very good team. Madison actually lost 49-0 to St.Teresa in their last game, so that may help y’all understand them. And since Madison beat TDW, I wouldn’t be worried about Cahokia or Breese beating them(if the game happens)
The plot thickens even more! Crossroads Christian is a school that doesn't play IHSA football - and the alleged Madison game was on Tuesday of last week. Madison's game against TDW isn't listed on their IHSA schedule. I wonder if it was a JV game (if Madison even is able to fill out a JV schedule)? Is this one of the "exhibition" games that the IHSA wants to crack down on?

This seems like some serious shenanigans going down, and I for one would not want any part of it.

Reactions: Formicidae13
New week, new changes!

I believe Benet has been told they have a forfeit win with the St. Joes closing and then scheduled a game with Meter Dei to replaced who then they backed out in late July, I believe when a new athletic director pulled out of the game and replaced Benet with TDW. This is what has been told to the players and parents from the school, i have not seen or heard anything from IHSA

I believe Benet has been told they have a forfeit win with the St. Joes closing and then scheduled a game with Meter Dei to replaced who then they backed out in late July, I believe when a new athletic director pulled out of the game and replaced Benet with TDW. This is what has been told to the players and parents from the school, i have not seen or heard anything from IHSA
That would make some sense. Woodstock Marian appeared to have gotten the same forfeit win. MIght explain why Benet hasn't appeared to have tried too terribly hard to get a game. (No reason to pass up a free win.)

Reactions: jforney2440
All.... Peoria (Richwoods) (1-5 a forfeit win last week Thornton) replaces Urbana with a home game this Friday against Mahomet-Seymour. The Bulldogs are 6-0. Injuries and some players in the covid quarantine was sited why 2-4 Taylorville would not play M-S. Ratsy

Last edited:
Reactions: jotapepe
All.... I looked TDW up a few weeks ago and came up with zilch as well. The Missouri State High School Activities Association has three categories of schools. Member schools, affiliate registered schools, and home school association. TDW was not listed on any of them. I seem to recall but could be mistaken but the Ihsa insists that out of state opponents have to be in a state association for wins, losses and I assume a forfeit to be counted. If so Mater Dei and Cahokia better start looking for replacements if TDW is not in the MSHSAA. Ratsy
C' mon... don't you guys know TDW plays in the same division as Bishop Sycamore. They are highly spoken of by their founders- Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe.

• Haha
Reactions: Odirty and johnndoe
New week, new changes!

Juarez has a football team? I thought they only had a futbol team.

Juarez has a football team? I thought they only had a futbol team.
I think they have the area south of Iggy east of Ashland and maybe the areas between the restaurants in the Taylor St area in the boundaries. But amongst the taller bulkier football playing 2nd and beyond gen Mexicans, even with landlord's kids making money off of hipster renters (IOW don't listen to the violins on gentrification), it's the same City situation of 20 high school kids on a block going to 18 different high schools.

A few updates:

Flora-Shelbyville is confirmed now.

Though they took down the original post, Chicago Academy is seeking a game this week, indicating Foreman won't be playing.

Dupo is forfeiting to Chester due to COVID. Chester will host St. Teresa instead. (Awesome matchup on short notice.)

A few updates:

Flora-Shelbyville is confirmed now.

Though they took down the original post, Chicago Academy is seeking a game this week, indicating Foreman won't be playing.

Dupo is forfeiting to Chester due to COVID. Chester will host St. Teresa instead. (Awesome matchup on short notice.)
Great work as always jotapepe

Reactions: jotapepe
I should know this answer:

What qualifies a team to cancel for Covid? One player has it?
Several players exposed?
A student got it and possibly exposed it to the football team?
Not enough healthy players for the game?
Up to each school w what their process is?

Several players exposed?
Basically it is up to each school and their health department, as I understand it. I don't think there is a statewide individual protocol, and it would be hard to do one given the different circumstances of each team (co-ops, for instance).

Further plumbing the depths of Twitter, I saw a tweet posted last Saturday afternoon from a Mater Dei coach to the TDW Twitter account, trying to get ahold of someone to do a film exchange. Not looking promising.

Several players exposed?
According to the post they have 2 confirmed cases with most of the rest of the team in quarantine

Several players exposed?
Will I be taking a beat down Friday? Can I use covid to get out of it?

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
Will I be taking a beat down Friday? Can I use covid to get out of it?
I see your point, and might generally agree, except that I don't really think that's what's going on. The only schools who really have been seeing a lot of forfeits this year (off the top of my head) that we could reasonably say might be because of fear of beatdowns - St. Francis and St. Teresa. That is just speculation, of course - and St. Teresa is in an area that has seen a lot of COVID, plus they play small schools which are more likely to have major problems. Otherwise, I think most teams think that even if they are going to lose, a loss on the field is better than forfeiting. Certainly better for the kids.

Further plumbing the depths of Twitter, I saw a tweet posted last Saturday afternoon from a Mater Dei coach to the TDW Twitter account, trying to get ahold of someone to do a film exchange. Not looking promising.

I guess their AD should of let the schedule be this summer. It’s not like they were supposed to travel. Benet was going to travel down there. Plus thought they had a game at Chicago Academy tomorrow night set up but sounds like CPS told Chicago Academy no. Went from no game to a game to no game in 24 hours

I guess their AD should of let the schedule be this summer. It’s not like they were supposed to travel. Benet was going to travel down there. Plus thought they had a game at Chicago Academy tomorrow night set up but sounds like CPS told Chicago Academy no. Went from no game to a game to no game in 24 hours
And by CPS Saying no, you mean Chicago Academy preferring to take a FF win instead of scheduling a game they were most likely going to lose? CPS hasn't had a problem thus far with scheduling games to make up Covid forfeits.

Reactions: mc140
And by CPS Saying no, you mean Chicago Academy preferring to take a FF win instead of scheduling a game they were most likely going to lose? CPS hasn't had a problem thus far with scheduling games to make up Covid forfeits.
I know absolutely NO information about the Chicago Academy situation (I didn't know there was ever any arrangement with CAHS at all). I will say this - I help out with a team that is nowhere near Chicagoland. We were making calls this spring/summer to try to get games and we were calling CPS schools. Of the few I could get to respond at all, they said they were reluctant to make any arrangement with a team outside of their COVID region because of possible travel restrictions. So if the CAHS story is true, that might have been what would have happened. Again, pure speculation.

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
I know absolutely NO information about the Chicago Academy situation (I didn't know there was ever any arrangement with CAHS at all). I will say this - I help out with a team that is nowhere near Chicagoland. We were making calls this spring/summer to try to get games and we were calling CPS schools. Of the few I could get to respond at all, they said they were reluctant to make any arrangement with a team outside of their COVID region because of possible travel restrictions. So if the CAHS story is true, that might have been what would have happened. Again, pure speculation.
CPL eliminated the Covid travel restrictions after the spring season. Any team using that as an excuse this summer just didn't want to play. Of course, based on the number of non conference CPL forfeits this year, your team was probably better off.

CPL eliminated the Covid travel restrictions after the spring season. Any team using that as an excuse this summer just didn't want to play. Of course, based on the number of non conference CPL forfeits this year, your team was probably better off.
I mean, we were calling everybody I could find who might have openings, so I don't blame them. Almost everybody else either just didn't respond or rejected us without much of a good reason. (Two teams we called with openings the same week scheduled each other weeks later; neither of them called us back.) The only place I got any nice response from was St. Patrick - they were full, but their AD had a very nice conversation with me and I appreciated his kindness. At least we were able to find games.

New update: Chicago Academy is now evidently playing Roosevelt. Roosevelt was to have played Senn, and I have no idea what happened to Senn.

All..... It sounds like the True Divine Word saga continues. I read an hour before the 2pm game start today with Mater Dei in Breese they call the school and tell them the bus broke down. So I guess no game..... Ratsy

All..... It sounds like the True Divine Word saga continues. I read an hour before the 2pm game start today with Mater Dei in Breese they call the school and tell them the bus broke down. So I guess no game..... Ratsy
Yeah... Cahokia should start calling people now. Luckily they have a Week 9 opening so they may be able to get someone from Wisconsin or Indiana who missed the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT