ADVERTISEMENT

Week 6 Pick Em: Brother Rice at Mount Carmel

So who wins Week 6

• Brother Rice

Votes: 50 61.0%
  • Mount Carmel

Votes: 32 39.0%

• Total voters
I'm pretty sure Pierce (the Junior who has Kentucky, Illinois and Iowa offers) started 3-4 games in spring (as a soph) and the opener at Hillcrest. Frazier (who is a senior) is our best pass rusher and is about 5'11 and 230 who started all spring games and the home opener. Don't know for sure if both back - but hope they are
Illinois, Kentucky, and Western Michigan offers

Is Lewis back for MC? His absence vs Iggy accounted for 2 iggy scores in my mind. As for Jack Elliott just give him the Lawless for 2022 and 2023 and 2024 (unless he goes to IMG)
50-50 on Lewis Friday. Not so fast on the 22 and 23 Lawless but let’s hope for 24 😉

I see this is personal to you?
When we were talking about BR's defense before the Loyola game, I made the identical comments. BR will suffer if those two do not play against top-tier opponents.

My assessment of MC's offensive is that their QB situation is the current weak link in terms of productivity, which is self-evident if you watched the games against SR, Marist, and SI.

Is it because of top-tier talent around the quarterback position that they went 9-0 as freshman & sophs? Because that is why they are currently winning on varisty. As far as I've heard, this freshman quarterback is a potential star who would start for the majority of high school teams as a sophomore. It's an exciting time to be an MC fan, with so much talent on the rise.

Here's another for you. LA's RB loss has a far greater impact than we anticipated, and they lose another nail-bitter to Marist at home.

Not personal.
It's just a dummy's point of view.

Last edited:
This new MC poster is one of my favorites.

The MC QB's difficulties are personal to him, and he's outraged by a BR prospect.
After this Friday, your hatred towards BR will be even more amusing.
When we were talking about BR's defense before the Loyola game, I made the identical comments. BR will suffer if those two do not play against top-tier opponents.

My assessment of MC's offensive is that their QB situation is the current weak link in terms of productivity, which is self-evident if you watched the games against SR, Marist, and SI.

Is it because of top-tier talent around the quarterback position that they went 9-0 as freshman & sops? Because that is why they are currently winning.

Here's another for you. LA's RB loss has a far greater impact than we anticipated, and they lose another nail-bitter to Marist at home.

Not personal.
You crack me up. First you make a condescending remark as I’m your favorite new guy on the block. I’m taking things personal by pointing out facts and asking questions about an opposing team? And by doing so it’s spun into hatred for said team? Exactly who’s taking things personal here? Because it surely isn’t me.

Way off topic. Get back to what this thread is about. An upcoming ccl blue showdown between 2 great teams.

Is it because of top-tier talent around the quarterback position that they went 9-0 as freshman & sophs? Because that is why they are currently winning on varisty. As far as I've heard, this freshman quarterback is a potential star who would start for the majority of high school teams as a sophomore. It's an exciting time to be an MC fan, with so much talent on the rise.

Not personal.
Since your post has since been edited to include freshman qb I can’t resist responding again. I hope this kid is the next JJ Mccarthy and yes it’s a very exciting time at MC.

Maybe my comment was confusing about this 2023 MC class. I was only including 9-0 Freshman season and their Junior season currently 4-1. Sophomore season only played 4 games and half the sophomore talent was up on varsity. That said, this group is 13-1. Whatever the “weak link” might be its obviously working. I certainly wouldn’t be to quick to make any drastic changes over 1 loss over 2 years against what’s arguably the best talent in the state. That’s not at all personal, it’s common sense.

Since your post has since been edited to include freshman qb I can’t resist responding again. I hope this kid is the next JJ Mccarthy and yes it’s a very exciting time at MC.

Maybe my comment was confusing about this 2023 MC class. I was only including 9-0 Freshman season and their Junior season currently 4-1. Sophomore season only played 4 games and half the sophomore talent was up on varsity. That said, this group is 13-1. Whatever the “weak link” might be its obviously working. I certainly wouldn’t be to quick to make any drastic changes over 1 loss over 2 years against what’s arguably the best talent in the state. That’s not at all personal, it’s common sense.

In regards to any change this season, I completely agree.

Here’s my breakdown

QB- Heavy advantage BR, no explanation necessary

RB- Even. I know Vaughn is a huge pick up for BR and was the offense at Providence the past 3 years but now he’s taking a backseat to Lausch and even though he’s talented, I’ve been very impressed with Dupree and De Rosa for MC and Bossie on sweeps.

WR- Even. Lot of good options here for Lausch, Thompson, Bossie and Furlong have been solid as well for MC.

TE- Huge advantage BR, literally that guy is huge!

OL- Even. Both have big hogs up front, Boersma would be High D1 if he wasn’t doing wrestling.

DL- Slight BR especially if Lewis doesn’t play but Asher Tomoninski for MC is D1 and doesn’t get enough press and is only a Jr. BR DL you can read above about them.

LB- Slight MC. Novickas is on a rampage. 12 more tackles vs Iggy a lone bright spot. 11 sacks on the year. I know BR has talent there as well and has been using Shaw off the edge, but I’ll give MC the SLIGHT edge as LA ran for 400 yards and LBs played a part in that.

DB- MC. Iggy threw 2 passes. MC DBs are legit. Harris is a three year starter at corner. Arrington and Whaley are returning starters Shickel and Bossie have been great. Handled Marists Jackson, SR QB, and Phillips talented QB Turner.

K- Heavy BR, he’s a three year starting kicker.

Final Prediction- MC defense matches up better with BR then SI offense. But BR has a multi threat legit QB and a talented supporting cast...when it comes down to it thats normally enough for this age group. I’ve had this as a loss on their schedule since the schedules came out. I’ll say BR 28-20 and hope I’m wrong! MC will come out swinging and fight to the end, they’ll need some things to go there way though. Looking forward to a great game.

Last edited:
Here’s my breakdown

RB- Even. I know Vaughn is a huge pick up for BR and was the offense at Providence the past 3 years but now he’s taking a backseat to Lausch and even though he’s talented, I’ve been very impressed with Dupree and De Rosa for MC and Bossie on sweeps.

WR- Even. Lot of good options here for Lausch, Thompson, Bossie and Furlong have been solid as well for MC.

OL- Even. Both have big hogs up front, Boersma would be High D1 if he wasn’t doing wrestling.

DL- Slight BR especially if Lewis doesn’t play but Asher Tomoninski for MC is D1 and doesn’t get enough press and is only a Jr. BR DL you can read above about them.

LB- Slight MC. Novickas is on a rampage. 12 more tackles vs Iggy a lone bright spot. 11 sacks on the year. I know BR has talent there as well and has been using Shaw off the edge, but I’ll give MC the SLIGHT edge as LA ran for 400 yards and LBs played a part in that.

DB- MC. Iggy threw 2 passes. MC DBs are legit. Harris is a three year starter at corner. Arrington and Whaley are returning starters Shickel and Bossie have been great. Handled Jackson, SR QB, and

Final Prediction- MC defense matches up better with BR then SI offense. But BR had a multi threat legit QB and a talented supporting cast...when it comes down to it thats normally enough for this age group. I’ve had this as a loss on their schedule since they came out. I’ll say BR 28-20 and hope I’m wrong! MC will come out swinging and fight to the end, they’ll need some things to go there way though. Looking forward to a great game.
Well done. Agree on pretty much everything.

Here’s my breakdown

DB- MC. Iggy threw 2 passes. MC DBs are legit. Harris is a three year starter at corner. Arrington and Whaley are returning starters Shickel and Bossie have been great. Handled Marists Jackson, SR QB, and Phillips talented QB Turner.

Final Prediction- MC defense matches up better with BR then SI offense. But BR has a multi threat legit QB and a talented supporting cast...when it comes down to it thats normally enough for this age group. I’ve had this as a loss on their schedule since the schedules came out. I’ll say BR 28-20 and hope I’m wrong! MC will come out swinging and fight to the end, they’ll need some things to go there way though. Looking forward to a great game.
Great breakdown pretty much spot on. Since I’m a homer, gonna resort to some intangibles here or traits that are difficult to assign value to.

• MC’s opponents have an overall combined record of 16-9 with MC pulling off 2 huge road wins against St. Rita and Marist.

• Br. Rice opponents have overall record of 12-13. Remove the 5 wins attributed to Loyola and Br. Rice opponents are a dismal 7-13. Strength of schedule matters.

• MC is undefeated at home since inaugural season @ 6410 s. Dante.

• MC defense has traditionally started slow this year allowing long 8-9 minute opening drives for TD’s. This can’t happen vs. BR or it might be a long night. They have got to set the tempo early.

• If MC defense can set the tempo early MC’s offense tends to strive off of the D. They can definitely get it done if they’re on the field. Many weapons. They can not get caught in a game of catch-up just not their strength.

• I’m looking for the difference maker tonight to be MC’s special team return teams. Bossie and Dupree and sometimes Arrington have all been within inches multiple times of breaking that big one. I say tonight is the night for that to happen.

• If MC can’t recover from that week 5 beat down from Iggy nothing will motivate this young team. I say they will bounce back.

• Prediction is MC 17-14 in a physical ccblue showdown. Should be a great one!

“I used a lot of dots. The deputy ops likes dots and double spacing.” The Wire…..Hope I didn’t disappoint.

Last edited:
Pretty sure being in the CCL blue takes care of the strength of schedule at the end of the regular season.
For sure. No doubt about it. Br Rice’ toughest competition just comes in the second half of schedule this year. Does it matter? Maybe, maybe not. . Just wanted to point out who’s played who. Good luck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT