ADVERTISEMENT

Week 6 Pick Em: Brother Rice at Mount Carmel

So who wins Week 6

• Brother Rice

Votes: 50 61.0%
  • Mount Carmel

Votes: 32 39.0%

• Total voters
Nobody touching this one? Or is it to early in the week?
The initial salvo from each respective fan base was on the MC-SICP post game thread so maybe taking a breather until mid-week.

I cast my vote for MC considering they’re at home, it’s their homecoming and find it very hard to believe they lose two games in a row.

By the way, @EdgyTim - are you able to see who votes for which team?

Reactions: MC2023 and eireog
The initial salvo from each respective fan base was on the MC-SICP post game thread so maybe taking a breather until mid-week.

I cast my vote for MC considering they’re at home, it’s their homecoming and find it very hard to believe they lose two games in a row.

By the way, @EdgyTim - are you able to see who votes for which team?
Ballots are sealed

Reactions: Bowie50 and eireog
Looking forward to seeing BR at full strength against a strong opponent.
It should be intriguing, especially given the rivalry and the fact that MC has never lost at home.

How is MC's health?
Thompson, the receiver, is he back?
What about Rogers, the BR transfer?

MC should have a better showing at home but BR has had their number lately. Won in the Spring, Won from '14-'16. Luckily didnt have to play in '18 so 4-2 last 6 meetings. After watching the LA-BR game I just don't see answer for Lausch. BR has scored over 40 in all their games minus the forfeit.

Reactions: Blue Ruin
MC should have a better showing at home but BR has had their number lately. Won in the Spring, Won from '14-'16. Luckily didnt have to play in '18 so 4-2 last 6 meetings. After watching the LA-BR game I just don't see answer for Lausch. BR has scored over 40 in all their games minus the forfeit.
Impressive offensive output against Loyola for sure. The rest of their opponents……. Not so much. Not much competition in those 3 games.

I'd be interested to hear how Ignatius shut down MC's offense. Did MC have success moving the ball? Did they shoot themselves in the foot with turnovers? How did they manage to get shut out? They are going to need to score more than a few points, because Lausch and Rice will put up points.

Reactions: chakazulu89
It should be intriguing, especially given the rivalry and the fact that MC has never lost at home.

How is MC's health?
Thompson is back and Rogers is still out and I strongly doubt at this point he will ever play this season, if he does it won’t be at QB.

Reactions: MC2023
I'd be interested to hear how Ignatius shut down MC's offense. Did MC have success moving the ball? Did they shoot themselves in the foot with turnovers? How did they manage to get shut out? They are going to need to score more than a few points, because Lausch and Rice will put up points.
Ignatius started out with long drive for the fist score. 7-0

Carmel offense responded with a first and goal. Scored TD that was called back on penalty. More mishaps pushed MC out of field goal range only to turn over on downs.

I can’t remember if Ignatius fumbled on next possession and MC drove to first and goal again attempting a field goal that they missed. I think that’s what happened.

Ignatius scored again on next possession making it 14-0.

MC fumbled the ensuing kick deep in their own end resulting in Ignatius field goal making it 17-0

That was first half in a nutshell. Details might be a bit sketchy. MC definitely had opportunities

Second half Ignatius basically did to MC what MC traditionally has done to others. Long clock eating drives wearing out MC defense keeping MC offense off the field. They completely dominated the second half. That’s how I remember it. I’d love to see how tilted the TOP was in Ignatius favor. Had to be enormous. In any event it was complete domination by Ignatius in 2nd half.

Reactions: pjjp and Queen4
Joey Thompson, as mentioned above, will be back vs BR. He’s had a nagging stress fracture. He did not play vs Iggy and it did make a difference. Not a 27 point swing, but he would have made a difference. Joey is the younger brother of former MC and current Indiana St QB Anthony. He broke a MC record vs BR last year with 16 receptions but that was with Justin Lynch throwing.

Reactions: Gene K. and Queen4
MC played like a team with 18 new starters--out of sync, out of rhythm, out of luck. The question is whether they had a bad day or were exposed for what they are. I'm inclined to think it was the latter. The coaches tried everything, desperately making substitutions, but they couldn't even get a spark, never mind a flame. Great teams don't allow themselves to be embarrassed like that. Maybe caravan8 is right. Maybe the two-headed quarterback is a bad idea..

Last edited:
Reactions: chakazulu89

How is MC's health?
2 yr starter Elliott Lewis on the DL is 50-50 for MC, separated his shoulder 3 weeks ago vs ND. Depends on his pain tolerance and if a shoulder brace will work.

Joey Thompson
Yes, he is an exciting player, a Tom Waddle type.. To make the best use of his skills, MC should bring up the freshman QB you have mentioned favorably. I think Jack Lausch played as a freshman. Let's give the kid a chance.

Yes, he is an exciting player, a Tom Waddle type.. To make the best use of his skills, MC should bring up the freshman QB you have mentioned favorably. I think Jack Lausch played as a freshman. Let's give the kid a chance.
Lausch didn’t come up to Soph and he was a Safety until week 9. Jack Elliott, the FR QB, is doing really well and I can see him being the starter for the next 3 years but this would be baptism by fire for him with the speed of the varsity game. Let’s see what happens Friday.

Caravan fans are circling the wagon and it smells of desperation. Guys I think you maybe overacting a bit. It was one bad game. I think we need to see how they respond against Rice. BR is very good but MC knows them well and if they can’t get up for this game well then they have a bigger problem. I am optimistic MC will bounce back at home. 👍

Reactions: MC2023
Caravan fans are circling the wagon and it smells of desperation. Guys I think you maybe overacting a bit. It was one bad game. I think we need to see how they respond against Rice. BR is very good but MC knows them well and if they can’t get up for this game well then they have a bigger problem. I am optimistic MC will bounce back at home. 👍
I don't believe it's desperation, but rather a recognition of their QB weakness. They have the weapons to be dynamic with a soph RB star, senior RB/WR Derosa, spelling?, Thompson, and a huge offensive line. I watched the Marist and SI games, and the quarterback isn't horrible, but he's a little shaky with his passes and can get off target at times.

What makes this matchup intriguing is that MC can basically toss the Loyola BR tape in the trash. Due to the absence of two defensive linemen Loyola used a spread zone running game and BR's backups couldn't stop it. These linemen, according to what I've heard, are their best defensive players.

I expect MC's rushing QB and soph RB, to try to pound the ball down BR's throat until they are stopped.

I expect a 21-20 type of game.

BR had better enjoy this one because varsity games vs MC in the coming years will be brutal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Ruin
Impressive offensive output against Loyola for sure. The rest of their opponents……. Not so much. Not much competition in those 3 games.
On the offensive side of the ball, BR has a lot of talent. Their WR position is a concern, but Lausch's scrambling skill allows them to get separation.

If anyone knows how to stop him it would be his old offensive coordinator who is now MC's DC.

On Friday night, O'Brien will have MC's D flying around.

Lausch didn’t come up to Soph and he was a Safety until week 9. Jack Elliott, the FR QB, is doing really well and I can see him being the starter for the next 3 years but this would be baptism by fire for him with the speed of the varsity game. Let’s see what happens Friday.
Calm down!
This team is 4-1 not 1-4. How can anyone be talking about bringing up the freshman QB? Lol.
This Junior group was 9-0 Catholic League Blue Champs as Freshman. Only competition was Loyola that year. Dowling/Arrington split time that season too with tremendous success. We’re already passing the torch to the freshman for the next 3 years? Get a grip people.

Calm down!

This team is 4-1 not 1-4. How can anyone be talking about bringing up the freshman QB? Lol.
This Junior group was 9-0 Catholic League Blue Champs as Freshman. Only competition was Loyola that year. Dowling/Arrington split time that season too with tremendous success. We’re already passing the torch to the freshman for the next 3 years? Get a grip people.
I agree, I said it would be baptism by fire, but if one of them gets hurt, especially Dowling, Elliott will receive strong consideration I’m sure as Arrington is very valuable as on Defense. It won’t happen as long their healthy nor should it. The Freshman isn’t JD McCoy but he is the real deal! One of these guys whose been at QB camps since for years already. We don’t have a Soph option since he left MC to be a backup on the Soph level at BR...didn’t look before he leaped

I don't believe it's desperation, but rather a recognition of their QB weakness. They have the weapons to be dynamic with a soph RB star, senior RB/WR Derosa, spelling?, Thompson, and a huge offensive line. I watched the Marist and SI games, and the quarterback isn't horrible, but he's a little shaky with his passes and can get off target at times.

What makes this matchup intriguing is that MC can basically toss the Loyola BR tape in the trash. Due to the absence of two defensive linemen Loyola used a spread zone running game and BR's backups couldn't stop it. These linemen, according to what I've heard, are their best defensive players.

I expect MC's rushing QB and soph RB, to try to pound the ball down BR's throat until they are stopped.

I expect a 21-20 type of game.

BR had better enjoy this one because varsity games vs MC in the coming years will be brutal.
Can anyone tell me how many varsity games One of these Br. Rice d-lineman has even played in? Definitely getting quite a bit of attention but seems to have been bit by the injury bug his entire HS career. I just wonder how it will be such a game changer with him on the line-up?
I’m much more concerned about Br. Rices QB and Running back than who may or may not be playing on the defensive side of the ball. If this game turns into a shootout things will not end well for MC. That I can assure you.

I agree, I said it would be baptism by fire, but if one of them gets hurt, especially Dowling, Elliott will receive strong consideration I’m sure as Arrington is very valuable as on Defense. It won’t happen as long their healthy nor should it. The Freshman isn’t JD McCoy but he is the real deal! One of these guys whose been at QB camps since for years already. We don’t have a Soph option since he left MC to be a backup on the Soph level at BR...didn’t look before he leaped
I read what you said. Something to the effect that the freshman QB will be starting on varsity his last 3 years. I say not so fast.

I read what you said. Something to the effect that the freshman QB will be starting on varsity his last 3 years. I say not so fast.
We’ll continue this conversation in December. I hope I’m wrong!

Can anyone tell me how many varsity games One of these Br. Rice d-lineman has even played in? Definitely getting quite a bit of attention but seems to have been bit by the injury bug his entire HS career. I just wonder how it will be such a game changer with him on the line-up?
I’m much more concerned about Br. Rices QB and Running back than who may or may not be playing on the defensive side of the ball. If this game turns into a shootout things will not end well for MC. That I can assure you.
You’re wondering how a healthy 6’3 280 defensive lineman with an SEC offer could be a game changer?

Can anyone tell me how many starts he has? And against who?
Both started against MC in the Spring and are legit. Frazier started Varsity for Fenwick as a Sophomore before he transferred to BR and started all Spring. He’s good. The other kid Peirce is a legit D1 recruit. MC Oline can match up with them, and I’m sure we won’t be going up the gut much. They’ll have a scheme for them

Reactions: MC2023 and Queen4
This new MC poster is one of my favorites.

The MC QB's difficulties are personal to him, and he's outraged by a BR prospect.
After this Friday, your hatred towards BR will be even more amusing.

I'm pretty sure Pierce (the Junior who has Kentucky, Illinois and Iowa offers) started 3-4 games in spring (as a soph) and the opener at Hillcrest. Frazier (who is a senior) is our best pass rusher and is about 5'11 and 230 who started all spring games and the home opener. Don't know for sure if both back - but hope they are

Reactions: MC2023 and Queen4
Is Lewis back for MC? His absence vs Iggy accounted for 2 iggy scores in my mind. As for Jack Elliott just give him the Lawless for 2022 and 2023 and 2024 (unless he goes to IMG)

Let’s see what happens Friday.
Okay.
if they can’t get up for this game well then they have a bigger problem.
Right.
the quarterback isn't horrible,
No, but he can't quite carry the team by himself.
On Friday night, O'Brien will have MC's D flying around.
Where were they last Friday night?
Calm down!
Don't tell me to calm down. I like to get excited.

This new MC poster is one of my favorites.

The MC QB's difficulties are personal to him, and he's outraged by a BR prospect.
After this Friday, your hatred towards BR will be even more amusing.
Not at all personal. The current QB situation has had much success over 2 years. I don’t understand how people are calling for an unproven freshman to take over at the varsity level. And that’s no critique of the MC freshman. Simple as that.

As far as Br. Rice d-lineman. I guess I broke my own cardinal rule. I do not like calling out kids by name or being critical of their play. You may notice I wasn’t at all critical of his play the kid is obviously a stud. I was just curious who he’s played against. That’s all.

I'm pretty sure Pierce (the Junior who has Kentucky, Illinois and Iowa offers) started 3-4 games in spring (as a soph) and the opener at Hillcrest. Frazier (who is a senior) is our best pass rusher and is about 5'11 and 230 who started all spring games and the home opener. Don't know for sure if both back - but hope they are
Thank you. Good luck.

Both started against MC in the Spring and are legit. Frazier started Varsity for Fenwick as a Sophomore before he transferred to BR and started all Spring. He’s good. The other kid Peirce is a legit D1 recruit. MC Oline can match up with them, and I’m sure we won’t be going up the gut much. They’ll have a scheme for them
Right on the money. The return of these two is a game changer; otherwise, MC will bully BR behind their massive offensive line. If the two don't play, MC scores 30 or more points against the BR defense.

Right on the money. The return of these two is a game changer; otherwise, MC will bully BR behind their massive offensive line. If the two don't play, MC scores 30 or more points against the BR defense.
I see this is personal to you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT