ADVERTISEMENT

Week 1

SHG at Christian Brothers (Missouri)
Edwardsville at Chatham Glenwood
Rochester at Chicago Simeon (Saturday)
All.... Two difficult games in week one for this group. But ALL high school football games are "gems" and fun to watch. Ratsy

2024 Massey
And the computer says.... (fwiw)

Edwardsville 42 Chatham 14 (89%)
CBC 44 SHG 14 (93%)
Rochester 39 Simeon 14 (88%)

Last edited:
Just a personal one for me looking at a few of the opening games in the WB6:

Metamora at Sterling - Sterling could use a good start to their season after last seasons very rough start. A win against an always quality Metamora team would give a major confidence boost going forward.

Moline at Rockwood Summit(MO) - Maroons starts the season with a very long road trip to St. Louis area to play a year in and year out solid Rockwood Summit squad who has only lost 1 regular season game in the past 3 years.

If for no other reason than to put a nail in the coffin of the claim that Chicago area teams dodge the Flyers.

Simeon, Montini, PC, Batavia, NV, MC, LA...

Can we please put that old argument to rest?
Be honest. The northern crowd decried Flyer for playing a national schedule because there are some good teams in state. Flyer said no one would play them.

It took the boys of MC to urge their coach take a game with Flyer for it to happen, a victorious decision for them.

LA finally felt the pressure to play Flyer …
But not at The House of Pain, Clyde C Jordan stadium. You would have found some gracious hosts if LA agreed to a home/away.

Why does Flyer still need to fill the rest of its non-con with out-of-staters? Does the CCL only have one offering a year? LWE now will at least know where ESL is located should they ever play. My guess is next year.

Will the CCL send another team again or does one northern team a year meet your criteria to seal the coffin?

Last edited:
No, nonsense, man. Home field advantage is overrated. Illinois is gaining a reputation for staging competitive contests.

Be honest. The northern crowd decried Flyer for playing a national schedule because there are some good teams in state. Flyer said no one would play them.

It took the boys of MC to urge their coach take a game with Flyer for it to happen, a victorious decision for them.

But not at The House of Pain, Clyde C Jordan stadium. You would have found some gracious hosts if LA agreed to a home/away.

Why does Flyer still need to fill the rest of its non-con with out-of-staters? Does the CCL only have one offering a year? LWE now will at least know where ESL is located should they ever play. My guess is next year.

Will the CCL send another team again or does one northern team a year meet your criteria to seal the coffin?

I AM being honest. Now it's your turn.

The honest reality is that ESL has been playing one, and sometimes two, Chicago area schools a year for a substantial majority or the past 11 seasons, excluding the pandemic year. The honest reality is that ESL has three non-con games to fill each year at the beginning of the season. That isn't the case in some Chicago conferences like the CCL for example. The honest reality is that roughly 300 miles separate the two cities and arranging games given that distance and differences in open dates all work to make scheduling those non-com games easier said than done. That said, I think the fact that most years in the past decade have witnessed games between ESL and Chicago area schools is pretty persuasive evidence against the ducking argument.

Flog yourself.

After Hollywood meets Flyer halfway, Flyer must still find three out of state opponents

250 miles and a weekend … figure it out. Sorry if it messes with brunch or tea.

Not withstanding playoffs, when have they had two northern teams in weeks 1-9?

Last edited:

Specially Fit Academy? That's got a Bishop Sycamore ring to it. 🤣

Also have to give it to Eastside for playing doubleheaders on 8/31 and 9/7.

Last edited:
this dude brought up travel when ESTL goes to cali to face a top 3 program in the nationa, goes to florida goes to Georgia etc
reality is Loyola Mc Lwe they should all face the best private schools from neighboring states up north
and don’t give me the we follow the rules bs and can’t schedule these types of games
i said this last year there are 0.0000 excuses why 1 chicago team can’t be a national powerhouse how many freaking people do you need in 1 area lmaoo the ego and excuses isn’t just some made up thing us “southerners “ came up with you people from chicago need a reality check

Some fun small school week 1's in the Northwest corner of the state:

Lena-Winslow at Morrison...Nothing says "Welcome to the NUIC" like hosting the top team week 1.

Newman Catholic at Princeton....Get your ice packs ready for this one folks.

and just an interesting find looking ahead: Week 3 Morrison goes to Galesburg which I think is the third instance of a Three Rivers (well, this one now an NUIC team) seeking out a larger non-con game against a WB6 team. Newman and Princeton did it last year.

AND before you all ask "Did Byron go find a tough opener?????", the defending state champs are in a locked conference and play poor ol' Rock Falls week 1.

Flog yourself.

After Hollywood meets Flyer halfway, Flyer must still find three out of state opponents

Not withstanding playoffs, when have they had two northern teams in weeks 1-9?
Be honest...

Would ESL RATHER play three non-com games against Chicago area teams year in and year out than a really cool non-con schedule featuring OOS powers? I'm guessing the answer is no. They have had a taste of those kinds of games, and I have the distinct impression that they like them. Those games serve to increase their cachet (Look it up if you don't know what it means -- it's a tea and crumpets kind of word) and add value to the Flyer brand. If they still want those games plus one or two games against Chicago area schools each year, well, they pretty much have that already, so what are you whining about?

If you tell me that, yes, they would rather play all in-state games, then I think you might not be on the same page as Coach Sunk.

Reactions: Alexander32
2019-2020 school year, Batavia and NV.
In addition to 2015-16 with Simeon and Montini, but I'll cut Crusader some slack on that year as it was a pretty forgettable season overall for the Flyers.

I think he has become accustomed in the extreme to shilling for ESL as this poor martyr of a school that each year must travel great distances because Chicago areas schools duck the Flyers. He is still living in the long ago past when that martyr/ducking narrative was far more justified than it is in more recent years.

Last edited:
Be honest...

Would ESL RATHER play three non-com games against Chicago area teams year in and year out than a really cool non-con schedule featuring OOS powers? I'm guessing the answer is no. They have had a taste of those kinds of games, and I have the distinct impression that they like them. Those games serve to increase their cachet (Look it up if you don't know what it means -- it's a tea and crumpets kind of word) and add value to the Flyer brand. If they still want those games plus one or two games against Chicago area schools each year, well, they pretty much have that already, so what are you whining about?

If you tell me that, yes, they would rather play all in-state games, then I think you might not be on the same page as Coach Sunk.
YOU came here saying put this puts a nail in the coffin of the claim that Chicago area teams dodge the Flyers.

I simply said that the northern crowd decried Flyer for playing a national schedule because there are some good teams in state. So kudos to Rambler for finally picking up the phone when Sunk called.

YOU came here saying put this puts a nail in the coffin of the claim that Chicago area teams dodge the Flyers.

I simply said that the northern crowd decried Flyer for playing a national schedule because there are some good teams in state. So kudos to Rambler for finally picking up the phone when Sunk called.
In your two responses to me on this matter you "simply said" far more than that.

My post you responded to with the above was not my first post in the thread. Your post copied above was in response to one I posted which was in response to YOUR post where you said,
"Flog yourself.

Not withstanding playoffs, when have they had two northern teams in weeks 1-9?"

You are so caught up in spin doctoring your ESL-as-martyr narrative that you can't even recall two seasons in the past nine or so when the Flyers played TWO Chicago area schools in the regular season.

Speaking of not recalling, I can't recall anyone decrying Flyer for playing a national schedule. Can you cite a few examples of that, please?

Last edited:
Reactions: kwamizee
I always enjoyed watch the ESL team face other national powerhouses

It has always disappointed me how many penalties that they would pick up though…

If Sunk came down on that team and a little discipline followed… ESL would occasionally touch National rankings top 10

In your two responses to me on this matter you "simply said" far more than that.

My post you responded to with the above was not my first post in the thread. Your post copied above was in response to one I posted which was in response to YOUR post where you said,
"Flog yourself.

Not withstanding playoffs, when have they had two northern teams in weeks 1-9?"

You are so caught up in spin doctoring your ESL-as-martyr narrative that you can't even recall two seasons in the past nine or so when the Flyers played TWO Chicago area schools in the regular season.

Speaking of not recalling, I can't recall anyone decrying Flyer for playing a national schedule. Can you cite a few examples of that, please?
Pre-covid ... different world, man!

Too many to look up. Corey beat that drum many times and several others decried they playing airplane games and getting whooped.

RE: Penalties ... yeah ... but I will say, the MC/ESL game had equal parts taunting and it was not flagged. The next week, laundry is everywhere after every Flyer gain.

Pre-covid ... different world, man!

Too many to look up. Corey beat that drum many times and several others decried they playing airplane games and getting whooped.

RE: Penalties ... yeah ... but I will say, the MC/ESL game had equal parts taunting and it was not flagged. The next week, laundry is everywhere after every Flyer gain.
What goes pre-covid have to do with anything?

If for no other reason than to put a nail in the coffin of the claim that Chicago area teams dodge the Flyers.

Simeon, Montini, PC, Batavia, NV, MC, LA...

Can we please put that old argument to rest?
feels like these games are scheudled one year too late. WOuld've loved to see the big boys play when LB3 was on the scene.

Reactions: crusader_of_90

MC doesn't need to prove itself against a program they have beat in over 75% of of their matchups.

MC and LA are also the only CCL teams that can actually give ESL a good game year after year. I am surprised you all down there haven't asked to play LA more often.

Reactions: Silver Rain
All.... How about Kankakee at Nazareth? The Roadrunners will be out for blood after their week one loss to the Kays last year. Kankakee graduated that stud rb Phillips who in his last year in HS decided to leave Bishop Mac and play for the local public school. State winning track star and he showed it on the football field as well scoring a couple of td's against the Naz defense. One of the fastest backs I have ever seen.

I have the Roadrunners if they stay relatively healthy going 8-1 in the regular season. Week three against the Caravan at B.D. Stadium for the lucky 2000 that get a seat will be the tough one. Ratsy

Reactions: Silver Rain
MC doesn't need to prove itself against a program they have beat in over 75% of of their matchups.

MC and LA are also the only CCL teams that can actually give ESL a good game year after year. I am surprised you all down there haven't asked to play LA more often.
To be fair ESL needs quality games to fill there schedule every year. Teams like MC, LA, LWE, MS, GBW, Warren & York all have quality teams a lot closer for their non-conference games. That said I hope ESL and LWE get a game on their schedule at some point because I think it would be a great matchup that would draw a lot of attention.

All.... How about Kankakee at Nazareth? The Roadrunners will be out for blood after their week one loss to the Kays last year. Kankakee graduated that stud rb Phillips who in his last year in HS decided to leave Bishop Mac and play for the local public school. State winning track star and he showed it on the football field as well scoring a couple of td's against the Naz defense. One of the fastest backs I have ever seen.

I have the Roadrunners if they stay relatively healthy going 8-1 in the regular season. Week three against the Caravan at B.D. Stadium for the lucky 2000 that get a seat will be the tough one. Ratsy
This will be a great game. Kankakee still have plenty of weapons as well on both sides of the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT