ADVERTISEMENT

Week 1 ICE Projections

Coalertown44

Nov 5, 2014
The brand new, but seems old, Illinois Central Eight kicks off tomorrow. Here's what I see for week 1

Fieldcrest @ Reed Custer: Don't know much about Fieldcrest except they are smaller and usually fairly competitive. I do like the job that Johnston is doing over there. They gave Coal City quite the scare last year. But until he gets the kids to actually get out and on the team they will struggle. I don't see many wins on the schedule. Comets hang tough but lose 27-13

East Peoria @ Streator:
Seems like every year I fall in a trap thinking this is the year that Streator breaks out and competes for the Conference title but not this year. Like RC I don't see many wins for them this year but this will be one. Streator wins an ugly one 16-3

Harvard @ Lisle:
Lisle is hard to predict this season to me. Lost some really good athletes from last year but have enough talent this year to compete with anyone in the conference.I think the Lombardo kid at QB will make and break them. Lisle plays different at "Home" so I see them controlling the game and cruising to a 28-13 win

Momence @ Herscher: Herscher had a Cinderella run to the Semi Finals last year. They also lose a ton of talent but return enough to compete. Their two Non Conference games are must wins in order to see the post season. Herscher gets by Momence 30-21

Peotone @ Peoria Manuel:
Peotone will have a lot to prove this year after just missing the playoffs last year. I absolutely love what Coach Tully gets out of his teams year in and year out. I think Peotone controls the clock and the game and wins 33-6

Manteno @ Canton:
Manteno started a lot of underclassmen last year and is my surprise contender this season. I think they have 6 wins this year and this is one. They will need to be on a bit of a roll to get another one next week against Morris. Manteno wins 28-14

Wilmington @ Evergreen Park:
The Cats had to go get a few big schools this year to fill out their schedule and this won't be a walk in the park for WIlmo. EP made the playoffs last year and got to the quarters, they had a great draw but proved they were a good team. Wilmo loses an All State RB but I think they are more balanced in the backfield with Shaw and Rodowald. Wilmo also started a lot of underclassmen last year and it will help them this year. Wilmo wins a dog fight 26-21

Coal City @ Morris:
Even though this is only the second meeting between the two teams, this has become a very fun rivalry game. The Coalers will make the 12 mile trip down Rt 113 and 47 to play a road game this year. The Coalers return a lot of key components this year. This will be the most athletic Coaler team in years. Defensively they will be as strong as ever with the front seven. They will have some inexperience in the defensive backfield but Morris doesn't throw a ton. Scoring has been an an issue with the Coalers in the past. They will have the weapons this year but we will have to see if that will result in points on the scoreboard. Morris has a do it all kind of player in Reddinger and a hard running back in Phelps. This will be a very chippy hard hitting game. I see the Redskins keeping it close early and the Coalers pulling away in the second half. Coalers win 34-7

Good analysis. I’ve been lurking here for some time but have never posted. I will say that I think Coal City has a real shot to win tomorrow, the score seems a little optimistic. And thanks for mentioning the Morris kids, I’m a big fan of one of them.

Reactions: Coalertown44
This will be the most physical game of the year for CC. It’s going to be a great game. The Reddinger kid is just a flat out athlete. I’m a bit biased and my prediction shows. Best of luck tomorrow night

Reactions: Gene K. and Nit92
Before I hit the predictions, this seems as valid a spot as any to spew some raw statistical data from the Kankakee Daily Journal - the home news for six of the 8 ICE schools. Some interesting numbers on players on the newspaper rosters...

Bradley … 25 seniors, 32 juniors, 1 soph
Kankakee … 16, 9, 17

McNamara … 12, 13, 3 (1 junior is the female kicker)
Herscher … 7, 11, 4, 1
Wilmington … 12, 24, 1
Coal City ... 17, 24, 22
Manteno … 15, 9, 12
Peotone … 13, 12, 2
RC … 19, 19, 5

Momence … 12, 12, 7, 7
Central … 5, 13, 8, 15
Dwight … 8, 14, 7, 1
Watseka … 8, 15, 5
IW … 8, 6, 14, 15

MCP … 7, 5, 11, 5 Defending 8 man champs

Most junior & seniors in ICE? Coalers makes sense.

2nd most juniors & seniors? If someone told me Comets without the numbers, I'd have told them they were under the influence...R/C might actually be building a program.

For those with big school bents, can you picture playing with these rosters...

Manteno at Canton: I know nothing about Canton they only have made the playoffs twice in the last 10+ years. I do know, however, that Manteno returns a lot of experience. Haines has had a summer to tweak the system to Borkenhagen's talents, so I expect the TD passes to be up and the Int's and fumbled snaps to be way down. Panthers claw past the Little Giants.

Coal City at Morris: Coal City seems loaded. I expect the Coalers to come out hot against their new neighboring rival, even if it is their first trip to Morris. The Coalers avoid the Redskins' arrows to set up the green & gold war for week 2 with a win.

Elmwood Park at Wilmington: Cats lost their all-state back, but return two guys in the backfield who are now three year regulars. Plenty of experience returns elsewhere. But the 4A/5A border Tigers are pretty good themselves. Likely best game of the weekend...Wildcats take the catfight at home...

Fieldcrest at Reed-Custer: Normally I wouldn't take much thought and just bury the Comets in a crater. But there is something to be said for depth when you are playing a much smaller school, even if they have made the playoffs 5 of the last 6 years. I think RC will get better as the year goes on - so I will take Fieldcrest, but not in the blowout I've seen some predict.

Momence at Herscher: The Tigers usually just maul the poor Redskins. I'm not sure that's going to happen this year, even if Momence graduated a 4 year starter at QB. Momence actually has more upperclassmen this year than the Tigers... That said, I don't picture the Tigers losing at home, and Momence has to get over the "Oh my, Herscher is so much bigger than us" attitude which aided a lot of Herscher's success in the KVC/RVC for years. Tigers in what will likely be a very ugly game.

Harvard at Lisle: Lisle at home is a completely different team. Being the only conference school on turf helps considerably. Harvard's been pretty bad the last five years. Lions roar in their opener...

Peotone at Peoria Manuel: Be glad this is not basketball. The 3A hoops Rams were 4th in state last year...you have to add up back to 2003 to get as many football wins as the Rams had in hoops just last year...Blue Devils have a heavy rebuild this year, having to basically replace their whole backfield. That said, I still think the Devils stab the Rams with their trident and leave with a comfortable win...

East Peoria at Streator: The Bulldogs somehow have found nonconference opponents who have bigger enrollments and are just as bad as they are in football. Bulldogs steal the Raiders dinner...in a likely ugly one.

Manteno- Surely they improved and Canton is no world beater by any means
CC- buying into the hype and thinking this is the year of a great CC team
WIlmo- tough win, still scares me, I think if Wilmo makes more than a mistake or two it will bite them
Herscher- gotta have this one or it will be a long year
Fieldcrest- will pick against RC until proven otherwise. I know they will be improved but I have to see it first
Peotone- would be really confident in them if this was at home but i still think they pull through
Lisle- Too tough to fall at home to a not so good harvard team
East Peoria- Same with my thoughts on RC (minus the improvment), I just need to see them actually win to have any confidence in them

The brand new, but seems old, Illinois Central Eight kicks off tomorrow. Here's what I see for week 1

Fieldcrest @ Reed Custer: Don't know much about Fieldcrest except they are smaller and usually fairly competitive. I do like the job that Johnston is doing over there. They gave Coal City quite the scare last year. But until he gets the kids to actually get out and on the team they will struggle. I don't see many wins on the schedule. Comets hang tough but lose 27-13

East Peoria @ Streator:
Seems like every year I fall in a trap thinking this is the year that Streator breaks out and competes for the Conference title but not this year. Like RC I don't see many wins for them this year but this will be one. Streator wins an ugly one 16-3

Harvard @ Lisle:
Lisle is hard to predict this season to me. Lost some really good athletes from last year but have enough talent this year to compete with anyone in the conference.I think the Lombardo kid at QB will make and break them. Lisle plays different at "Home" so I see them controlling the game and cruising to a 28-13 win

Momence @ Herscher: Herscher had a Cinderella run to the Semi Finals last year. They also lose a ton of talent but return enough to compete. Their two Non Conference games are must wins in order to see the post season. Herscher gets by Momence 30-21

Peotone @ Peoria Manuel:
Peotone will have a lot to prove this year after just missing the playoffs last year. I absolutely love what Coach Tully gets out of his teams year in and year out. I think Peotone controls the clock and the game and wins 33-6

Manteno @ Canton:
Manteno started a lot of underclassmen last year and is my surprise contender this season. I think they have 6 wins this year and this is one. They will need to be on a bit of a roll to get another one next week against Morris. Manteno wins 28-14

Wilmington @ Evergreen Park:
The Cats had to go get a few big schools this year to fill out their schedule and this won't be a walk in the park for WIlmo. EP made the playoffs last year and got to the quarters, they had a great draw but proved they were a good team. Wilmo loses an All State RB but I think they are more balanced in the backfield with Shaw and Rodowald. Wilmo also started a lot of underclassmen last year and it will help them this year. Wilmo wins a dog fight 26-21

Coal City @ Morris:
Even though this is only the second meeting between the two teams, this has become a very fun rivalry game. The Coalers will make the 12 mile trip down Rt 113 and 47 to play a road game this year. The Coalers return a lot of key components this year. This will be the most athletic Coaler team in years. Defensively they will be as strong as ever with the front seven. They will have some inexperience in the defensive backfield but Morris doesn't throw a ton. Scoring has been an an issue with the Coalers in the past. They will have the weapons this year but we will have to see if that will result in points on the scoreboard. Morris has a do it all kind of player in Reddinger and a hard running back in Phelps. This will be a very chippy hard hitting game. I see the Redskins keeping it close early and the Coalers pulling away in the second half. Coalers win 34-7

I am a little surprised at 2 of your predictions. Granted, I dont follow the conference as closely as you, but I think Morris keeps it a lot closer and I also feel that Wilmington beats EP by at least two TDs. Thanks for all the info. I enjoy reading about this conference.

Before I hit the predictions, this seems as valid a spot as any to spew some raw statistical data from the Kankakee Daily Journal - the home news for six of the 8 ICE schools. Some interesting numbers on players on the newspaper rosters...

Bradley … 25 seniors, 32 juniors, 1 soph
Kankakee … 16, 9, 17

McNamara … 12, 13, 3 (1 junior is the female kicker)
Herscher … 7, 11, 4, 1
Wilmington … 12, 24, 1
Coal City ... 17, 24, 22
Manteno … 15, 9, 12
Peotone … 13, 12, 2
RC … 19, 19, 5

Momence … 12, 12, 7, 7
Central … 5, 13, 8, 15
Dwight … 8, 14, 7, 1
Watseka … 8, 15, 5
IW … 8, 6, 14, 15

MCP … 7, 5, 11, 5 Defending 8 man champs

Most junior & seniors in ICE? Coalers makes sense.

2nd most juniors & seniors? If someone told me Comets without the numbers, I'd have told them they were under the influence...R/C might actually be building a program.

For those with big school bents, can you picture playing with these rosters...

No idea whats going on at Herscher, 41 kids in the program is brutal, especially since they have been on a really nice 5-6 year run.. 7-8 seniors that would be starters are not playing

That said, if they stay healthy they have a chance to surprise some people and get to the 5 win mark.. Berns and Lunsford are both good backs and the line play always seems to be decent..

I am a little surprised at 2 of your predictions. Granted, I dont follow the conference as closely as you, but I think Morris keeps it a lot closer and I also feel that Wilmington beats EP by at least two TDs. Thanks for all the info. I enjoy reading about this conference.

I think this is a tough game for Wilmo. They are experienced but not very big up front. I think a decent larger school with more depth might give them trouble. That being said I think they will do very well in 3A. I could see them as a quarter or semi final team
Morris lost a lot. Probably the smallest offensive line they’ve had in a very long time. Coal City has a lot of athletes and a lot of weapons and pretty much returns their starting front 7 on defense. I think Morris keeps it close but Coal City pulls away in the second half. But I’m obviously biased. I’m looking forward to it

Reactions: Gene K. and USD24
No idea whats going on at Herscher, 41 kids in the program is brutal, especially since they have been on a really nice 5-6 year run.. 7-8 seniors that would be starters are not playing

That said, if they stay healthy they have a chance to surprise some people and get to the 5 win mark.. Berns and Lunsford are both good backs and the line play always seems to be decent..
They are a real mystery to me. They could get to that 5 win plateau. These to non conference games are key

They are a real mystery to me. They could get to that 5 win plateau. These to non conference games are key

Have to win tonight obviously.. Central will be good, #3 in 2A with better skill kids than anyone in the ICE..

I guess I look at CC and Wilmo as losses, Momence a win... and other 6 I have no clue.

Wilmington 32, EP 0

Methodical.

Anyone who thought the new 40 second clock might confuse some teams was justified on the first play from scrimmage. EP received, and promptly got flagged for delay before the first snap.

By the half, the Wildcats were working like a seasoned union heavy machinery crew. Break the huddle at 12 seconds, snap the ball between 1 & 2 seconds, bulldoze the ball for 5-8 yards, go back to the huddle and repeat. They only had one third down in the first half - after a holding penalty called back a 15 or so yard run, resulting in the only punt of the first half. Six possessions, four touchdowns, one punt, one ended by halftime. 26-0 at the half. I'm not sure if EP had positive yardage on offense in the first half...

Cats received to open 2nd half, another methodical five minute scoring drive, starters basically took a seat. Couple of backup backs got decent yardage tonight for the Cats.

Biggest problem...picture this, Wilmo with a kicking problem. One xp missed severely left, one doinked off the left upright, one absolutely smothered by an unblocked end rusher...

Peotone 35, Peoria Manuel 7
Canton 47, Manteno 32
Streator 21, East Peoria 14
Herscher 43, Momence 0
Lisle 22, Harvard 8
Fieldcrest 47, RC 7

Last edited:
Morris CC game was pretty electric. Lots of back and forth big plays. Jezik was an animal running the ball. Had 230ish yards and three tds. CC scored on two pick sixes and a KO return to open second half. I was surprised how CC tackled. CC is usually a pretty good tackling team but had some breakdowns last night. Got to get better on KO coverage. Gave Morris good field position a lot. Reddinger and Phelps are very tough runners. They were a load and gave us fits. Morris is much better than I anticipated and will make the playoffs if they stay healthy. Great crowds there, it was definitely a playoff atmosphere. Statement win by the Coalers. Doesn’t get any easier with Mac coming here Friday

Reactions: Gene K.
Congrats to Coal City. Game was everything anyone could hope for through 3.5 quarters. Both teams that are historically stout defensively had trouble tackling. More points than you’d expect. Game changed when Reddinger started cramping and was no longer a threat to pull the ball on the inside zone. Jezik is a stud. Good luck the rest of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT