ADVERTISEMENT

Video: Naperville North 2023 QB Aidan Gray 7on7 reps from Tuesday night

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Just some reps from the Naperville North 7on7 on Tuesday night. I'll also have some limited reps from a few other QB's at the event.

I attended the event. Grey has a good arm, but was outshined by 2023 QB recruit Mark Mennecke from Neuqua Valley.

I attended the event. Grey has a good arm, but was outshined by 2023 QB recruit Mark Mennecke from Neuqua Valley.
Interesting....and I saw the game versus NN and NV along with the other NV game against Minooka I believe....Mark is also pretty solid but I just don't agree

Not sure if you were at the NN 7 v 7 again tonight, but here is a video of Mark when they played GBW and Minooka. This is the 2nd one I‘ve attended with Grey and Mennecke playing and I’m now even more convinced who is the better QB.

Side note, Zeke and Luke Williams (WR’s from NN) are definitely players to watch this year.

Based on the two films posted, Gray is the better QB. Unbiased opinion.

watch both again and this time notice that Almost every single pass Grey made was to a stationary receiver and he often wasnt able to find a receiver. All of his passes were hitches and curls which are very easy to complete in 7 v 7. And then compare that with Mennecke’s throws which are to moving targets and to all different parts of the field including the end zone.
Either way, admittedly it’s kinda irrelevant since 7 v 7 doesn’t tell the whole story, but to me, Mennecke passes the eye test. Just My opinion. :). And Mennecke/Neuqua also won the head to head this past spring even though Grey didn’t play the whole game. You see the highlights of that game? If not, check it out.

watch both again and this time notice that Almost every single pass Grey made was to a stationary receiver and he often wasnt able to find a receiver. All of his passes were hitches and curls which are very easy to complete in 7 v 7. And then compare that with Mennecke’s throws which are to moving targets and to all different parts of the field including the end zone.
Either way, admittedly it’s kinda irrelevant since 7 v 7 doesn’t tell the whole story, but to me, Mennecke passes the eye test. Just My opinion. :). And Mennecke/Neuqua also won the head to head this past spring even though Grey didn’t play the whole game. You see the highlights of that game? If not, check it out.

It is clear that you are a big fan of Mennecke which I can understand. I don't know either kid nor do I root for either team. I am just observing the two videos posted by you and Edgy. Looking at those two videos if I had a choose between the two QB's, I would choose the NN kid. For what it's worth, I would never make a QB choice based on 7on7 so it's just a message board discussion. I do like the run game of the NV QB shown in the last highlight you sent.

At the end of the day, both kids are studs and will be successful for the next 2 years. I've seen both of them since 8th grade and watched them grow and get better every time I see them. Aidan is exactly what every coach is looking for at the QB position (size, speed, brains and maturity), great kid. Mennecke is one of these kids that's good at everything he touches that involves a ball. Just a gamer that excels in all 3 sports. So both fan bases should be excited for the future of their squads.

At the end of the day, both kids are studs and will be successful for the next 2 years. I've seen both of them since 8th grade and watched them grow and get better every time I see them. Aidan is exactly what every coach is looking for at the QB position (size, speed, brains and maturity), great kid. Mennecke is one of these kids that's good at everything he touches that involves a ball. Just a gamer that excels in all 3 sports. So both fan bases should be excited for the future of their squads.
This....

Well said. Its gonna be a fun season watching them both. We will need to keep our eye on September 17th which is the NN/NV matchup. SHould be a good one.

You should be his agent when NIL hits high school in a few years

Reactions: NNFAN
You should be his agent when NIL hits high school in a few years

Haha. That's funny, but I guess when I see talent, I gotta call it out. And when he goes to a Power 5 college to play, he will have plenty of opps to profit off his name.

It is clear that you are a big fan of Mennecke which I can understand. I don't know either kid nor do I root for either team. I am just observing the two videos posted by you and Edgy. Looking at those two videos if I had a choose between the two QB's, I would choose the NN kid. For what it's worth, I would never make a QB choice based on 7on7 so it's just a message board discussion. I do like the run game of the NV QB shown in the last highlight you sent.
Pretty sure this says it all. Care to change your opinion?

Last edited:
So what did you see in that video that suggest I should change my opinion? I watched it twice but can’t find anything to go against what I said earlier.
Mennecke is the better QB right now. He does it all. Gray looks better on the hoof.

Reactions: dapiech
Pretty sure this says it all. Care to change your opinion?
Mennnecke plays for the better and more talented team. NN's defense is really struggling this year. They were lit up last week by Woodhaven MI (42 points) and Glenbard North (36 points) the previous week. I saw more big plays by Gray in the video. Only two offensive TDs by Neuqua in the entire game, and a very bad interception in the end zone by the Neuqua QB. Both QBs are terrific and have very bright futures so please stop with the ridiculously biased propaganda.

Mennecke is the better QB right now. He does it all. Gray looks better on the hoof.
And how many games have you seen Gray play in person?? I have followed Naperville North football for over 40 years. Have seen many excellent NN QBs over the years, some of which have gone D1. Barring injury, Gray is on track to be the best ever, and that says a lot. As he gains weight and strength he will be even better.

One more thing... putting school bias aside... what do the recruiting experts think? What do the colleges think? There's your answer. They are more qualified that either of us. As I responded to the other Neuqua fan... both have bright futures. Let's leave it at that.

And how many games have you seen Gray play in person?? I have followed Naperville North football for over 40 years. Have seen many excellent NN QBs over the years, some of which have gone D1. Barring injury, Gray is on track to be the best ever, and that says a lot. As he gains weight and strength he will be even better.
I saw him play Friday and he was the reason the game was close. Kid is a stud and has an extremely bright future.

I’ll add…..that was the worst officiated game I’ve seen in a while. The TD Mennecke threw at the pylon was 100% a TD. I was down in that corner after going to the men’s room. The refs were at the 25 yard line and the middle of the end zone. Neither were anywhere near the position they needed to be in to make the call. They looked at each other and shrugged their shoulders and called it no catch.

One more thing... putting school bias aside... what do the recruiting experts think? What do the colleges think? There's your answer. They are more qualified that either of us. As I responded to the other Neuqua fan... both have bright futures. Let's leave it at that.
Not sure where I spoke about which is the better recruit. I just watch HS football. Mennecke was the best player on the field and Gray was 1b. I’d take either for my team and be excited.

Reactions: Gene K. and NNFAN
I respect your opinion however it doesn’t change mine. Again, my opinion is only based on the videos posted.
I saw him play Friday and he was the reason the game was close. Kid is a stud and has an extremely bright future.

I’ll add…..that was the worst officiated game I’ve seen in a while. The TD Mennecke threw at the pylon was 100% a TD. I was down in that corner after going to the men’s room. The refs were at the 25 yard line and the middle of the end zone. Neither were anywhere near the position they needed to be in to make the call. They looked at each other and shrugged their shoulders and called it no catch.

Well said @NapervilleBuck. No doubt Gray is really good and actually more mobile than I realized. I wish him the best.

However, @LHSTigers94 Mennecke had 3 TD's in that game with the botched call by the refs.
My question is who is doing more with the talent they have on offense? Both have good RB's and even better WR's, yet Mennecke has better stats: Including passing yards, rushing yards, TD's, Completion %, + 4 wins. In fact, He is now 8-0 as a varsity starter and 17-0 as a starter in high school and his playmaking ability and athleticism are superior. Mennecke is also in the top 20 in the area in rushing yardage and TD's.

And I also agree that the recruiting will tell a large part of this story. From what I hear, Mennecke did not attend any college camps this past summer due to club baseball which affected his exposure. In my view, That's likely ONLY reason he doesn't have offers coming in yet. But I hear coaches are knocking now...

Well said @NapervilleBuck. No doubt Gray is really good and actually more mobile than I realized. I wish him the best.

However, @LHSTigers94 Mennecke had 3 TD's in that game with the botched call by the refs.
My question is who is doing more with the talent they have on offense? Both have good RB's and even better WR's, yet Mennecke has better stats: Including passing yards, rushing yards, TD's, Completion %, + 4 wins. In fact, He is now 8-0 as a varsity starter and 17-0 as a starter in high school and his playmaking ability and athleticism are superior. Mennecke is also in the top 20 in the area in rushing yardage and TD's.

And I also agree that the recruiting will tell a large part of this story. From what I hear, Mennecke did not attend any college camps this past summer due to club baseball which affected his exposure. In my view, That's likely ONLY reason he doesn't have offers coming in yet. But I hear coaches are knocking now...

If both QB's switch teams, what do you think the results will be? Will the team record be any different? If so, why?

If both QB's switch teams, what do you think the results will be? Will the team record be any different? If so, why?

That's a difficult question to answer definitively since it's a total assertion and hypothesis, but I'd like to think Mennecke would have helped NN beat GBN with his playmaking ability and leadership skills.

Let's put it this way...Without Mennecke, NV would NOT have beaten Oswego who will most likely be a playoff team. NV (up by 6 pts at the time) were Backed up to their own 25 yard line and had 3rd and long at the end of the game facing a punt. Mennecke took the ball and ran 60 yards to win the game. You can see this in the below video at the 4 minute mark.

That's a difficult question to answer definitively since it's a total assertion and hypothesis, but I'd like to think Mennecke would have helped NN beat GBN with his playmaking ability and leadership skills.

Let's put it this way...Without Mennecke, NV would NOT have beaten Oswego who will most likely be a playoff team. NV (up by 6 pts at the time) were Backed up to their own 25 yard line and had 3rd and long at the end of the game facing a punt. Mennecke took the ball and ran 60 yards to win the game. You can see this in the below video at the 4 minute mark.
There is a big difference between play making ability and playing the QB position. Example would be Isiah Williams for Illinois. He made a lot of things happened in High School however it didn’t translate to the next level. How good is he in getting the ball out of his hands? Reading defenses, accurate with ball? Running around and launching the ball while your WR make a heck of a catch is not impressive for a QB. Exciting? Heck yeah! Impressive, not so much. Because I’m not a fan of either team, W/L’s are not relavent in the discussion. Not sure why you and the other guy feel the need to change my opinion. Based on the film that you guys have uploaded, I stand on my opinion of the two players. I’m open to more film.

There is a big difference between play making ability and playing the QB position. Example would be Isiah Williams for Illinois. He made a lot of things happened in High School however it didn’t translate to the next level. How good is he in getting the ball out of his hands? Reading defenses, accurate with ball? Running around and launching the ball while your WR make a heck of a catch is not impressive for a QB. Exciting? Heck yeah! Impressive, not so much. Because I’m not a fan of either team, W/L’s are not relavent in the discussion. Not sure why you and the other guy feel the need to change my opinion. Based on the film that you guys have uploaded, I stand on my opinion of the two players. I’m open to more film.
I’ve hesitated from responding due to my current “label” as “just another daddy ball” guy. I’m NOT trying to change anyone’s opinions. I am VERY good friends with Aidan Gray and his family-I’ve known him since he was 6yrs old and I spoke with him at length on Friday after the game. He’s a great kid and they are a great family. I think he is a phenomenal player and he’s got a real nice future ahead of him. I’m excited to watch him at the next level and I always cheer for him (except when he plays that other kid)… that other kid is also a great kid from a great family. He’s also a phenomenal player with a real nice future ahead of him and I’m excited to watch him at the next level as well. I always cheer for him (no exceptions😉). I’m not sure what the obsession is with determine which one is better? These two kids are great kids. They compete. They work hard. They are BOTH elite quarterbacks and they train their asses off. At end of day, who cares who’s better? They are friends-they both train with Greg Holcomb who is the best in the business. They have played against each other since kindergarten. Can we just leave it at that? What actual difference does it make whos “better?” None of our opinions matter anyway. I appreciate the “attention” because these boys deserve it-but honestly this sport isn’t about one player-both of these kids MAKE their teams better period. And they always will no matter where they end up. TRUST ME on that one…

OMG you don't have a clue. Did you see what Gray did against Glenbard North? He carved them up. Please stop. And two of the three NV TDs were on long runs NOT passes.

Who is Greg Holcomb ?
He trains QB’s (NextLevel Athletix) and he’s a stud.. (yes that’s a plug haha). He’s a good dude, knows his shit, and has trained some amazing QB’s including JJ McCarthy

He trains QB’s (NextLevel Athletix) and he’s a stud.. (yes that’s a plug haha). He’s a good dude, knows his shit, and has trained some amazing QB’s including JJ McCarthy
When did he start “training” JJ? By the time that kid started high school he was already a great QB.

what are Holcomb’s credentials? If he is coaching these kids it helps him to hype all of customers. Aside from JJ, have any other current P5 QBs worked with him?

Reactions: forlouann
When did he start “training” JJ? By the time that kid started high school he was already a great QB.

what are Holcomb’s credentials? If he is coaching these kids it helps him to hype all of customers. Aside from JJ, have any other current P5 QBs worked with him?
I mean I don’t know his full resume I just know he’s a good dude.. he’s smart he’s knowledgeable he’s excellent with mechanics… I mean I don’t know what else to say I just know he’s excellent!!!! He trained JJ for a long time and I don’t know who other P5 kids he has

I’ve hesitated from responding due to my current “label” as “just another daddy ball” guy. I’m NOT trying to change anyone’s opinions. I am VERY good friends with Aidan Gray and his family-I’ve known him since he was 6yrs old and I spoke with him at length on Friday after the game. He’s a great kid and they are a great family. I think he is a phenomenal player and he’s got a real nice future ahead of him. I’m excited to watch him at the next level and I always cheer for him (except when he plays that other kid)… that other kid is also a great kid from a great family. He’s also a phenomenal player with a real nice future ahead of him and I’m excited to watch him at the next level as well. I always cheer for him (no exceptions😉). I’m not sure what the obsession is with determine which one is better? These two kids are great kids. They compete. They work hard. They are BOTH elite quarterbacks and they train their asses off. At end of day, who cares who’s better? They are friends-they both train with Greg Holcomb who is the best in the business. They have played against each other since kindergarten. Can we just leave it at that? What actual difference does it make whos “better?” None of our opinions matter anyway. I appreciate the “attention” because these boys deserve it-but honestly this sport isn’t about one player-both of these kids MAKE their teams better period. And they always will no matter where they end up. TRUST ME on that one…
VERY well said! I couldn't agree more with everything you said about the boys (except I don't know how you're soooo sure about the other kids family being so great 😉. The Gray's seem like good folks anyway......).

Reactions: ska549
IMO, people on this board should not pit a young man (QB or not) against another young man talent wise. These are high school football players and not college or pro players. If anything, we should acknowledge a kid's talent and leave it at that. I for one always root for Illinois kids to do well even against teams I root for.

IMO, people on this board should not pit a young man (QB or not) against another young man talent wise. These are high school football players and not college or pro players. If anything, we should acknowledge a kid's talent and leave it at that. I for one always root for Illinois kids to do well even against teams I root for.
100% agree. But how else are dads supposed to live through their kids :)

Also I've never heard of the NV kid, but since all this happened I know his name. It's a PR genius move by the dad.

100% agree. But how else are dads supposed to live through their kids :)

Also I've never heard of the NV kid, but since all this happened I know his name. It's a PR genius move by the dad.
Haha!!! I’m smarter than I look-but it’s not cuz of how smart I am it’s cuz of how dumb I look!!!🤪🤪

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT