ADVERTISEMENT

Update: Evanston 2022 ATH Cheecks is staying home

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Evanston (Ill.) junior four star ranked running back recruit Sebastian Cheeks (6-foot-2, 205 pounds) is getting ready this morning for his first day of school and beginning a fall semester that is starting the year with all online classes. Cheeks checks in and fills ua in on his latest recruiting news and much, much more here.

"It's hard to imagine the fall without football," Cheeks said. "I'm honestly just still going with the flow when it coms to the season getting moved to the spring. I'm back to training for the spring season now but I'm still trying to get past the season getting moved."

Cheeks, like many other highly sought after recruits considered moving away from Illinois for the fall semester but is here for his junior year of high school.

"I considered moving away but I think the best thing for me is to stay home and to keep building myself up as a person and a player. I really thought about everything and right now in the United States it seems like everyone is in trouble (with COVID) and no state is safe. I also looked beyond football and I just can't see moving away from my lifelong friends and family.It would also be a big sacrifice for my family which I don't feel is fair to them. I just feel I'm better off staying at home in Evanston and getting ready for the spring season."

Cheeks also recapped his latest recruiting news this summer.

"I've been in touch with some of the college coaches. I spoke not too long ago with the Michigan coaches. I also took a virtual visit with Notre Dame last week and that went really well. I also was in contact with the Michigan State coaches a few weeks ago. I was hoping to make some college visits this fall but with everything still going on and conferences moving football to the spring, I have no plans at all."

Cheeks also discusses the impact of not having a fall season that many observers might not notice or even understand.

"I took part in a 7on7 tournament today and I talked with a lot of kids who talked about not having a season this fall. Some kids loo at football as a way out and an escape from everyday life. Other kids stay in school and stay eligible just so they can play football. Kids are definitely starting to quit and turn away from football. Some of those kids are going back to the streets. Football just helps kids in so many ways and I'm hoping everyone can hang in there until the spring."

Sebastian Cheeks has multiple scholarship offers.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News