ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Policy

TPF523

Sep 8, 2014
Just wondering what the current transfer policy is. Are the rules different if going from private to private or private to public? In what ways can you insure immediate eligibility? My oldest has an issue that may require transfer (not an issue on his end), rather not get into that, and I want to know the options. Some high profile kids have obviously navigated the rules, I don't want names thrown out there but I am wondering how.

Private to public he sits 30 days then eligible. Public to Private you need to get a fake address to use like everyone else to be eligible after 30 days.

See section 3.040 of the By-laws.

If you want more go to IHSA.org and click on the "About the IHSA" tab

IHSA By-Laws

I don't mean to be rude at all but I am capable of looking up the bylaws. I am more curious how others are getting cleared. I don't see how moving would help since both schools are non boundaried. My son may not be able to play at this school (issue is medical) and would be cleared to play elsewhere. I'm hopeful this issue gets resolved but if it does not I want to know my options. He goes to a Catholic school, we love the school and would like another small school environment. No one is to blame and I don't hold the school responsible but I also don't want my son to lose potentially his last year of football (unsure about college). Any guidance would be great, we aren't looking to trick the ihsa but want to know what is an option.

TPF,

I understand where you are coming from and it's not about duping the IHSA but rather working within the established frame work of the rules. The Medical issue I'm not sure how to wrap my head around because I would think that is up to your physician to clear him to play and not the school. It's way to difficult to have this discussion here because honestly I want to respect you and your sons privacy but transferring may not solve your problem if it's medical. Even though you are going private to private to become eligible there would have to be a move and if I remember correctly the way it's worded, and rational for the move, and not just a move of convenience.

Originally posted by TPF523:
I don't mean to be rude at all but I am capable of looking up the bylaws. I am more curious how others are getting cleared. I don't see how moving would help since both schools are non boundaried. My son may not be able to play at this school (issue is medical) and would be cleared to play elsewhere. I'm hopeful this issue gets resolved but if it does not I want to know my options. He goes to a Catholic school, we love the school and would like another small school environment. No one is to blame and I don't hold the school responsible but I also don't want my son to lose potentially his last year of football (unsure about college). Any guidance would be great, we aren't looking to trick the ihsa but want to know what is an option.
I am hoping you will take this guidance in the spirit of which it is intended.

As I read this I have to ask questions. How does HE feel about this? What is HE thinking? All I am reading here is you asking what YOUR options are. You say "we" love the school. You have considered uprooting you family and moving somewhere else to save one year of high school football for him. How does he feel about that?

Without knowing the "medical" issue I have to ask why it is that he can't play with this issue at one school but would be cleared at another? In other words, if it's serious enough to keep him from playing in one place why isn't it serious enough for him to sit somewhere else? That is something you and HE should carefully consider before stepping on the field again. It sounds as if you want to do whatever you can to get him "cleared." You mention the word "cleared" in your second sentence and again in the fourth. This tells me that you are concerned first about getting him out to play by taking a route to get him cleared instead of making sure he is actually 100% healthy to play.

I could be reading this wrong but I don't think I am. Your 4th sentence is of great concern to me. I hope you know what you're doing because your son's health is nothing to fool with. I understand getting a second opinion, but again, how does HE feel? That is what is most important.

TPF

I realize you "can" read the by-laws. The question becomes; did you?

In the event the student transfers attendance from any high school to any other high school, and the transfer is

not in conjunction with a change in residence by both the student and his or her parents, custodial parent, surviving

parent, or guardian to a residence outside the boundaries of the public school district attendance area the

family originally resided in, the Executive Director may grant eligibility based on documentation that the transfer

met one of the following conditions:

• The student is enrolling for the first time in the student's home public member high school with boundaries;

• Change in family's financial position;

• Extenuating circumstances documented by the sending school's principal or official representative

The last sentence is your explanation as to why many kids are granted waivers. Instead of asking this group of people ways to work the system, why don't you put a call into your current principal or the IHSA.

I agree with Mirakle, this isn't about you. Football is only one facet of the High School experience. Before YOU move your son ask what is in his best interest long term.

Naz,
Now please don't take this offensively, but that third point, is that how the senior transfer got into Naz this past season?

Stump

That is my understanding. He transferred in about this time last year after there was some incident at his former school. I do not know the details nor do I believe that it is my business.

Naz,
I don't believe it is anybodys buisness but his! I was just wondering what part of the rules he used! Thanks for your answer as it makes sense!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT