ADVERTISEMENT

Toughest Runners in the State

capnbillhitters

Gold Member
May 18, 2015
I'm throwing AT's Nick D'Ambrose's hat in the ring for this one. His 206 yards rushing against GW was more impressive than the Greek Freek's rampage at Duchon. While The Freek used blazing speed and the highest quality lineplay to continuously exploit the edge of GW's defense, Nicky D dished out severe punishment on just about every one of his 30 carries. GW's defense is still trying to find the right combination but Nick D battered every guy in his way.

Flip the coaches on the sidelines and Nick D may have put 300 on GW. Key moment in the entire game came on AT's first drive of the 2nd half. GW's Ty Cox had just returned the KO 90 TDs to put GW up 14-7 at a point where GW had 23 yards of total offense. AT methodically drove down the field on the back of Nicky D until he plunged to a first and goal at the 2 TD line.

GW fans were squirming as we realized the KO return punch was countered with a back we were having a tough time bringing down. Then it happened. If you hand Nicky D the ball three times between the tackles, the score is 14-14 and momentum flips back to AT. Instead, AT OC calls for a pitch sweep. From the 2 yard line. When Nicky D is lined up 8 yards off the ball. Against a GW team notorious for have 5 LBs and knowing a thing about attacking the edge when backed up against their own goal line with no cushion to offer.

The play never had a chance as GW was on Nicky D at about the same time as the ball arrived for an 8 yard loss. Two passes and a field goal and AT was done. All GW wanted was to get AT throwing the ball and AT obliged the rest of the way. Meanwhile, GW's Dre Thomas raised his hand and his game and carried GW down the field. At one point, Thomas had 7-8 straight carries for 76 yards to take the ball from his own 2 to the AT 22 before Diver punched in a TD to start the rout.

Thomas and Diver and Cox create an impressive backfield combination of size, speed and shiftiness, but Nicky D is about the only threat AT has, so putting 206 tough yards on GW was beyond impressive. Had the AT staff plunged him in from the 2, they might have taken the momentum and pushed GW until the end by continuing to pound Nicky D. We will never know but I would take that kid in my backfield any day.

Reactions: Gene K.
Someone who has watched Jessen at Willowbrook needs to update on how he looks. I have watched that guy wrestle for 3 years but hear he might be a better football player.

I respect your opinion, I will only add, the Greek had 15 car for 177 and 4. I can not help to wonder what his numbers would be had he had 30 carries.

I respect your opinion, I will only add, the Greek had 15 car for 177 and 4. I can not help to wonder what his numbers would be had he had 30 carries.

I'm on board with The Freek being among or the best pure backs in the state. I heaped significant praise after his rampage at Duchon.

This thread is about runners that dish out punishment between the tackles and makes life miserable for defenses. Freek is a bad ass that plays bigger than his listed size. Nicky D gained most of his yards against GW after initial contact.

Happy to have watched two of the best backs in the state and looking for more to catch before the season is over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT