ADVERTISEMENT

Toughest Away Sites To Play In?

cornerrat

Aug 1, 2009
All.... I'm sure this subject has been visited before but I've gotten into (once again) the "sarsaparilla soda" and I can't get this question out of my mind.

Now I don't mean how schools set their fields to their advantage but just the aura and intimidation factor when your team plays there.

For me number one is NLP. Their whole set up and if I recall correctly that Virgin Mary grotto was enough for me. Next because the Cyclones have never done well against the Hilltoppers is the public field JCA plays their home games at. The little green sign coming in on the street to the stadium announcing all the state championships is a nice reminder what might be awaiting ones team. Ratsy

“The Swamp” AKA Marion Central Catholic.

All.... I'm sure this subject has been visited before but I've gotten into (once again) the "sarsaparilla soda" and I can't get this question out of my mind.

Now I don't mean how schools set their fields to their advantage but just the aura and intimidation factor when your team plays there.

For me number one is NLP. Their whole set up and if I recall correctly that Virgin Mary grotto was enough for me. Next because the Cyclones have never done well against the Hilltoppers is the public field JCA plays their home games at. The little green sign coming in on the street to the stadium announcing all the state championships is a nice reminder what might be awaiting ones team. Ratsy

Reactions: lkhammer57 and FF92
Geneseo - very physical, look like Green Bay, entire neighborhood shuts down and goes to the game

GBW - one of the only teams that plays on grass. It slows down fast teams.

Woodstock Marian - grass

Maine South - your main goal is not to get Main South'd

JCA - playing against a dynasty in a big stadium

Geneseo - very physical, look like Green Bay, entire neighborhood shuts down and goes to the game

GBW - one of the only teams that plays on grass. It slows down fast teams.

Woodstock Marian - grass

Maine South - your main goal is not to get Main South'd

JCA - playing against a dynasty in a big stadium

All.... And at least a mile before you hit the Geneseo stadium those green John Deere tractors on both sides of the road loaded with balloons and signs. Watched Chatham/Glenwood (they won state that season) pull out a semi-final ot win against Geneseo and thought the town was going to riot. Ratsy

Reactions: superac777
Becker Field at Reents Stadium - Wilmington. Pregame tunnel from the woods on the south end of the stadium with Harley leadin, fireworks, the cannon for big games...Purple & white all over town when you get there, streamers, signs, balloons, small town football at its best....

Lisle...Wilmo's personal house of horrors...only turf field in the I-8...

IC...at least in 3A, probably the only place most 3A teams played on turf in the playoffs...probably a similar advantage in 4A...

Over the year 3 places stick out in my mind watching Naz games.
MCC, Prairie Ridge and SHG.

Reactions: lkhammer57
School’s (possessive). Grammar is really important on this site.
Never said or cared so much about the grammar or spelling on this site or any site for that manner. However there is another Marion high school that we talk about and both of them are in the ESCC. Just trying to hold on to some identity for "Marian Central Catholic"!

Never said or cared so much about the grammar or spelling on this site or any site for that manner. However there is another Marion high school that we talk about and both of them are in the ESCC. Just trying to hold on to some identity for "Marian Central Catholic"!
Marion Indiana Giants tops in hoops & not bad on the gridiron!!!!

I was kidding.

Okay Francis, I’ll try to make certain I don’t fall to Apple spell correct again. I had been typing “Marion” as in my grandmother’s name quite a bit lately due to my dad’s passing away the middle of July. I’ll try to help you keep your identity.

I know you were but this happens a lot on here and I thought it would be a good time to correct it. All good!:)

Jwarigaku, I'm not trying to start anything with anybody! Its just since I've been following this site people have spelled it wrong and it looked like a good opportunity to try and correct it. I'm sorry for your loss.

I think you would find agreement among many visiting players, coaches and fans that Lemont is not a welcoming place to play.

Both ESCC Marian’s are spelled alike. I feel like you should know that if you’re going to correct people on spelling your’s incorrectly. Especially since the Marian minus the central has the superior football history(obviously not the past 10yrs or so however)

If not Wilmette against Loyola, Gately stadium against the brown and white. Come November, a lot of undefeated and one loss teams saw their season go down the drain at 103rd street...

Reactions: woody6 and Bowie50
Both ESCC Marian’s are spelled alike. I feel like you should know that if you’re going to correct people on spelling your’s incorrectly. Especially since the Marian minus the central has the superior football history(obviously not the past 10yrs or so however)
I’m bad didn’t really pay attention how Marian Catholic was spelled, just know how Marian Central was spelled. I know Marian Catholic did win a state championship, what year was it?

All....There is another. The Wildcats from Marion. A deep southern Illinois school. Had the opportunity in briefly talking with Coach Martin when his team came calling in postseason play a few years back. Ratsy

There actually is a Marion High School, they are South, so he makes a point. I believe they are around 5a or 4a enrollment size.

I’m bad didn’t really pay attention how Marian Catholic was spelled, just know how Marian Central was spelled. I know Marian Catholic did win a state championship, what year was it?
Chief, according to Marian Catholic's website they won a state title in 1994, and took a runner up in 1999, followed by a city championship in 2000! Its sounds like they had a good run in the 1990's! When it comes to football history do we get to include the 1980's? Or is that to long ago?

Chief, according to Marian Catholic's website they won a state title in 1994, and took a runner up in 1999, followed by a city championship in 2000! Its sounds like they had a good run in the 1990's! When it comes to football history do we get to include the 1980's? Or is that to long ago?

cant go into the 80s, you guys were better than us then

That’s hilarious! Visited a friend at Marion Federal a couple of times - smuggled in tins of Kodiak to a trustee in a more lax environment than the big house, but I had to get in a list to go.

Dude served Gotti as he walked down the food line, always flanked by Big White Bikers. Dude also had Rose’s bunk after him - a point of pride, it should be known.

I kid you not, all true.

Also were great in the 70’s

Not sure if you are referring to MCC or Marian Catholic. Marian Catholic was 49-32 in the 70's and did not qualify for the playoffs once (from 74-79).Not exactly great

Reactions: lkhammer57
Not sure if you are referring to MCC or Marian Catholic. Marian Catholic was 49-32 in the 70's and did not qualify for the playoffs once (from 74-79).Not exactly great[/QUOTE Hey Einstein,Back in the 70's up until 1984 it was rare if you did not win your conference to get in the playoffs excluding Independent Schools who had to go perfect or 8-1 to get in & 8-1 was no guarantee.Yes a few "At Large" teams got in but with Joliet Catholic in the Illini 8 it was hard to break thru.Basing this upon the 1985 criteria as well as now here is the breakdown.1979(6-3 would have gotten in.Made the Prep Bowl 2nd round losing to Joliet Catholic finishing 7-4) 1978(5-4) 41 playoff points would have gotten in.I'll skip 77 a moment while I check my records,(5-4) 36 playoff points.Probably not getting in.76(7-2) would have gotten in.Out voted by schools in the Conference in favor of Joliet Central as a At Large.The loss to Elgin didn't help as The Steelmen beat them & Marian Catholic.1975(6-3) in.1974(5-4) 39 playoff points would have gotten in.1973(8-1-1) in if they had the playoffs under the current criteria,1972(6-3) in.1971 6-2-1 in.1970 1-8 well since they aren't in Indiana you got me there & most likely 1977.So had they had the expanded playoffs back then Marian would have missed the playoffs just twice or maybe once in the 70's.

Einstein? Nice. I'm well aware of how the playoffs worked prior to 84. If you want to call Marian's resume in the 70s great, feel free. To me, you are not great for a decade if you never qualified for the playoffs

I'll give you good, but they were not great

I really like New Trier's field as a venue. There is no track so it feels like the fans are so close. Problem is their fans. Looks like they're out for tea...lol. Maybe Doll is changing that. If he does it will be a tough place to play.

Fremd used to be really tough. About 10 years ago they had the best fans in the state. Don't think it's anyone's fault I just think fads come and go. The students used to be all in. Just not the same anymore.

MCC is the toughest I've ever played and watched a game.
Fans are loud, grass field, horrible warm up area getting destroyed by mosquitoes, and lets not forget the refs.

I really like New Trier's field as a venue. There is no track so it feels like the fans are so close. Problem is their fans. Looks like they're out for tea...lol. Maybe Doll is changing that. If he does it will be a tough place to play.

Fremd used to be really tough. About 10 years ago they had the best fans in the state. Don't think it's anyone's fault I just think fads come and go. The students used to be all in. Just not the same anymore.

MCC is the toughest I've ever played and watched a game.
Fans are loud, grass field, horrible warm up area getting destroyed by mosquitoes, and lets not forget the refs.
Are you referring to Fremd's "Army of Darkness"? Oh dear lord...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT