ADVERTISEMENT

CPL Pick'Em Week 5 IHSA Week 6

Schwab54

Nov 13, 2016
Well we've made it to the end. I have so many mixed feelings about this season. It's been great to see the kids out on the field, it seems a little empty to just end after six weeks. It's really complicated. I really wish we had a few more weeks to end the season correctly and I am anxiously awaiting the fall season and hoping for some normalcy. The Spring Season started with less teams, and every week the number of teams playing seems to drop, I will be interested in seeing what teams are able to make it back in the Fall or if COVID will be the end of much of CPL football. With this being the last week and the numbers low we will have a special week of CPL and I am going to try to hit every CPL game that is being played. This is Wednesday so there is a high chance a few of these games will fall off and a few games will take their place.

Little Village vs Gage Park
Only in the CPL would a team drop football, then a COVID year hits and decide that they should bring football back. This may be the best example of the beauty of CPL Pick'Em. It is pandemonium all the time. 8-0 loses to 2-6, win by 30 and then forfeit the next week, you never know what is going to happen and that is why this is the greatest game of all time! It is only fitting that Gage Park returns and beats down the Village to end this season in style!
Gage Park by 26

Urban Prep Bronzeville vs Bowen
I was walking around Triton one time when Fenwick was opening their season with Bowen. Game was scheduled to start at 7:00 and at 6:45 I see a school bus pull up and out came Bowen. Big pet peeve of mine is people who show up late, normally it's a pretty big turn off. However if there is one thing to be scared about in the CPL is a team that shows up within 15 minutes of game time. Even better if they are late. Those teams get after it!
Boiler up by 15

Westinghouse vs North Lawndale
One of the best dressed teams in the CPL, very few can color rush as well as Westinghouse and I do love a good color rush! But the North Lawndale Phoenix are always rising! this one is tough. I'm a big storyline guy, I'm a sucker for a good back story. Ultimately it's a better story for the Phoenix to fall this week, just gives them more space to rise from the Ashes in the fall.
Westinghouse by 100 only so the Phoenix can rise again

Chicago Academy vs Taft B
So CPS, sophomore/jv teams want a game, sure go play a varsity team. These 2 schools are pretty close in proximity but it will be a long time until we get dyett playing the Taft varsity team. Dyett is up and coming with a new coach who was previously at Longwood. This should be a good one.
B Eagles by 20

Pritzker vs Foreman
I have been impressed with the little I have seen of the Puma's this year. However I have a really hard time pulling for Pritzker this year. And if I'm being honesty not sure I'll ever root for JB.
Foreman by 2

Senn vs Marine
Normally I'm a sucker for America. But DAWGZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
DAWGZ by a billion

Ag Science vs Catalyst Maria
I have long been a fan of Maria. This is probably due to Maria Maria by Santana featuring The Product G&B. The Product G&B could totally be a CPL school, definitely there kind of strange. With that being said that's about all I know of Catalyst Maria. Ag Science I have actually seen play. And I actually think they can play. Plus farmers are always good at football!
Ag Science by 19

Bogan vs Comer
Bogan reminds me of bogus. Comer reminds me of Conant. I knew a kid who played basketball for Conant, dude could get after it, played some serious defense. His dad also played football at Bama. Well that makes this easy, Roll Tide!
Comer by 22

Noble Johnson vs Goode
Why is there an "E' in Goode, wouldn't a school called Good be better? I'm said once and I'll say it again, who doesn't love a Noble Johnson?
Johnson by 69.

Hyde Park vs Harlan
Saw Harlan play once, damn did they look impressive. They did lose the game though. But they had a dude dressed in all pink, pink sleeves, pink tights, pink cleats, pink socks, pink tape...so much pink. But dude was a player, think he was at DE and OT. Man did I love Pinky, kid could play for me any day of the week. Harlan does it for pinky!
Harlan by 13

Carver vs Brooks
This game better be at Brooks. Smurf Turf>any other turf. Smurf Turf for the win
Brooks by 18

Phillips B vs Payton
Another lower level team playing Varsity! This is why I love CPL, every week it is something new. I do like Payton but seems like their COVID break, plus a new coach has slowed them down a bit. I don't know much about Phillips B but hopefully they run that engage 8 cat defense like the varsity. Man do I love that craziness! Picked Taft B, feel like I need to keep it going.
Phillips B by 34

Sullivan vs Schurz
The Sullivan Stingrays vs the Schurz Siamese Cats. Who doesn't love a good alliteration for a nickname. Got to tell you its always a fan favorite and definitely wins me over. But I know a bar called Sullys, I don't know of a bar called anything that reminds me of Schurz
Sullivan by 8

Bulls vs Von
Man I miss Rood. That dude would have been an absolute CPL legend had he stayed. Now he's only a personal hero of mine as opposed to a name everyone in the city knows. And you know what they say, "Heroes get remembered, but legends never die." Rood could have been the G.O.A.T of the CPL. You know whos the G.O.A.T. of all GOATS? Michael Jeffrey Jordan. If you say someone else you're just plain wrong!
Bulls by 23

Mather vs Amundsen
I knew a guy who used to coach at Mather. Now Rood was great because of the volume of his yell but this Mather guy was great because of the passion behind his yells. You could just tell the guy was living and dying on every snap, man he was fun to watch. Give me Amundsen, hope that guy is there, very entertaining watching him live and die on every snap.
Amundsen by 9

Lindblom vs Kelly
Really feel like Lindblom is missing an O. Lindbloom would be such a better name. This Lindblom guy was Swedish. Lindblom should change their name to the Fishes. They cant hang with the Kelly Green Machine!
Kelly by 15

Speer vs Rauner
Another Governor I don't like or a bad ass weapon, yea this is easy.
Speer by 18

Steinmetz vs Kennedy
Steinmetz Silver Streaks. I love going for the 3 name alliteration but who names a school the Silver Streaks? Kennedy is the Crusaders. I get it but it's boring. Some many better things to name Kennedy. The Kennedy Missiles is my favorite. 13 days was a great movie. If that is not required viewing for all Kennedy students they are doing something wrong. Talking about the missiles makes me think of this fantasy baseball league I'm in. The one dudes team name is Fidel's Finest Cubans. So every year when the guy venmos the commish he puts in the subject "Fidels Finest Cubans" and every year Venmo freezes his account for a couple of weeks. So if you're ever paying someone on venmo for some cigars do not put "Fidel's Finest Cubans" if you want to be able to use your venmo at some point during the rest of the month. CPL Pick'Em is here not only for fun but to educate the masses!
Kennedy by 13

Michelle Clark vs Whitney Young
Think I've picked against Michelle 3 times so far, been wrong every time. The one time I lay some money on Michelle after Percy gives me a guarantee he loses and I'm out for next month's rent. Had to convince a buddy to let me move in with him for a couple of weeks, thanks Percy! Well this week I'm looking to get that rent money back, I'm going full Pat McAfee and going HAMMER DAHN on my guy Coach Finger!
Fenger by...I mean Whitney Young by 18

Taft vs Phillips
And who beat Michelle and cost me my rent money? Damn you Taft! Fun fact on Taft dude was so fat he got stuck in a bathtub. Probably was a pretty good OL. There's a Taft bar in Cincy, really plays up the whole Taft bathtub thing, need to make a trip there just to get a glass with taft in a tub on it, seems like it should be a good one. I'm a simple man, CPL football and a beer thats all I ask for, sorry Phillips but you need to start making your own beer if you want me to pick you.
Taft by .08

Lane Tech vs Lincoln Park
The first rule of nicknames is you can't give yourself a nickname. Lane Tech calls themselves the school of champions. I don't know maybe that was true in the 40's but can't say Lane Tech is even close to the top of my mind when I'm talking about IHSA champions now. Cmon Man! You can't break the rules if you want me to pick you!
Fenger by 22

Morgan Park vs Perspectives
Big fan of MoPo, they get after it! Perspectives is like a 4 school co-op. They go by Perspectives way to much, need to start going by Perspectives Leadership/IIT/Joslin/Tech. I'd definitely pick those guy if they made sure to go by that, but they don't.
Morgan Park by 29

I think that is all the CPL teams playing games this week. Man I'm going to miss it. See you guys in the fall!

MP over Perspectives
Lane over LP
Phillips over Taft
Clark over Young (Game is for Conference Championship)
Steinmetz over Kennedy
Speer over Rauner
Kelly over Lindblom
Amundsen over Mather
Bulls over Von
Schurz over Sullivan
Phillips B over Payton
Brooks over Carver
Hyde Park over Harlan
Westinghouse over NLCP

Oh boy! So many picks to get through this should be flagged for too many men. Since it's CPL action though, the back judge clearly missed the extra guys so we'll play on, no flag. HERE WE GO!

So in the battle of neighborhoods we have not a large or medium but instead a little village going up against a neighborhood that is named after the Gage family. When comparing this on the surface you are clearly going to take a small village over a single family, but NOT SO FAST MY FRIENDS. Looking into this a little deeper, Gage Park became popular because of the influx of Roman Catholic families that chose this area instead of neighboring Protestant dominant Marquette Park. And if we are taught anything year after year in CPL its that the Catholics always best the public. Gage it is.

Once again do I need to bring up the secret weapon? Come on BOWEN ARROWS hit the bullseye with the upset.

I come from a family of Sparkies, no need to sell me on Westinghouse, it's the family legacy.

There's this great little podcast I listen to every week called the High School Holla. Probably shouldn't be sharing this because it's truly my secret weapon for CPL action, but anyways my main man Spoon tells me Chicago Academy is real. They won their first home game in 6 years on their home field. Not sure that's the track record I want to support though. Give me the Taft B Eagles

Pritzker vs Foreman
The Procelain Princes... You know there will be COVID restrictions forced on Foreman who will in turn not be able to field a team because you know... SAFETY or something like that

Senn vs Marine
The DAWGZ vs The Marines, damn. Marines mascot is CHESTY the bulldog and if you remember my rankings from last week the English bulldog is top 5. Does kind of confuse me that the US Marines would have an English Bulldog but what do I know? I know neither is as good as the BEagles that's for sure. Sounds like a tie.

Ah, Maria. So crazy, just like science. Stuff blows my mind. Been really trying to get into the science of cooking lately. Bought myself the Cadillac of grills, a Weber Summit. That thing is legit. Let's hope science allows me to make it proud. Ag with the W.

Bogan vs Comer
Bogan is the Bengels! How can you pick against that? They are by far the most aggressive decisive animal in the animal kingdom. No matter where they go or what they do you know you are getting consistency with the Bengel. Bengels rock the mic all night long.

Noble Johnson vs Goode
What's better than a Noble Johnson? A good(e) Noble Johnson, clearly. Johnson jokes never get old, right? Okay. Goode. I'll see myself out.

Hyde Park vs Harlan
Hyde Park is going to become the new south side power because of the Obama Library. Let's just make sure when we rename them again (already had to change from the Indians) it's not something lame like the books. Give me something better. Hyde Park Stacks? Who doesn't love a good 4-4 stack. Let's make it happen. Stacks file away the victory.

Carver vs Brooks
Brooks don't really have the strength to be carvers. You need more of a steady flowing river to be able to carve landmass. Carver wins

Phillips B vs Payton
Sweetness. Enough said Grizzlies by 34.

Sullivan vs Schurz
Schurz and those dedicated kids riding the CTA bus to the game. Every damn time.

Bulls vs Von
I follow Bulls Prep on Twitter as this is truly a mystifying school to me. How is everything not tied in to Jordan? Like their baseball team should all be numbered 45 right? Just another CPL missed opportunity. Oh wait we're talking about football. Well I'm sure if MJ wanted to be a receiver he would have been the GOAT there too, sorry Jerry (Krause and Rice). Bulls roll

Mather vs Amundsen
When is this game being played? Why does this mather (my favorite mather joke)? Well Amundsen doesn't have lights and it would be incredibly difficult for it to be played at night, although it is the CPL and would be a very Jaton move to schedule it. Anyways don't be left in the dark. Take Amundsen

Lindblom vs Kelly
Give me the Blom. Staying far far away from anything R Kelly related.

Speer vs Rauner
Speer for sure. Haven't liked a governor around these parts in a long long time.

Steinmetz vs Kennedy
The Metz vs. The Bay of Pigs. Give me the bacon (extra crispy please)

Now this is a battle. My guy says Michelle Clark is Young. So is this really just a scrimmage? Oh I get it, young in age.. Well he also said he's got them BIG BOYS on that line, and I did just say I'll take the bacon, so let's just go full on carnivore and add some beef. Michelle BIG

Taft vs Phillips
Now everyone in their right mind says Phillips in this one, but then Schwab goes and throws out the Taft Brewing Co in Ohio story. You know who HAS been there? This guy. And then crazy thing about that brewery? It's in an old Catholic church! and what did we say about Gage Park to kick this thing off? Yup don't over think it take the Catholics vs. the Publics. Taft in a shocker. #blessed

My favorite part of the internet besides this board is Facebook. Call me a boomer I know. Why is Facebook so great? Because every week the LP head coach puts out the Blue print. It's not keys to the game, it has nothing to do with anything as sometimes its just the layout to a bathroom but it cracks me up that it's his thing so he's sticking with it. Don't think the irony of the bathroom blue print is lost on me in this Lane matchup either. It's perfect. Let's just hope this game doesn't get flushed.

Morgan Park really got screwed this year by the pandemic. Their the best team in CPL hands down. CJ doing great things down there. Go Illini!

Log in to Edgy this morning, and my guy @Schwab54 has CPL Pickem up with the ENTIRE CPL slate! Such a rare treat, like getting free tickets to an all you can eat buffet that has bottomless crab legs. Until he started posting CPL Pick em, I thought I was the only one shunning the standard Friday night lights, preferring some Hot Thursday CPL Action, or rolling into Gately for a 9am Saturday start. For the love of the game...and Gately dogs! On to the picks!

I've never seen either of these teams play, which is a bit mystifying because they are both veterans of the Thursday 3:30 start. I have, however been to Maxwell's, on Western just north of Gage Park. They have a killer Polish, plus a hamburger with sliced hot dog on top. If Gage Park is doing it right, they eat all their pre game meals there.
Pick: Hot dogs on a burger...every time. GAGE PARK!

I've never seen a Bowen team with more than 15 kids. I've also never seen a 15 kid Bowen team not get after it. I like the tenacity. Sorry UP, this week you are going DOWN.
BOWEN!

Westinghouse is one of the rare CPS schools with its own football field. Stands on one side. Train tracks on the other...busy train tracks. Almost constant train traffic while a game is going on. The stands shake...it always seems to be raining....so Chicago.
Westinghouse!

Three things about this game.
1- In the past 5 years, I have shown up for 2 scheduled games at Chicago Academy. Both games were forfeits...by Chicago Academy. Neither time were potential fans, OR the opposing team notified....
2- This thing with Taft and Phillips playing varsity schedules with sophomores(?) is strangely awesome, and a bit sad, all at the same time.
3- If you take the space between B and Eagles, you get BEAGLES!
I like dogs...Take the BEAGLES!

Pritzker vs Foreman
A few years back Foreman hired these dudes from a Park District team to come and coach varsity football. Let's just say that experiment was a joke. It's taken years to dig out from that mess...continues today!
BUZZ BUZZ! Take Foreman!

Senn vs Marine
You know the rules...DAWGS!!!!!!!!

Always amazed there is an agricultural high school in the city. Seriously, they are raising livestock and planting crops....in the city! Nothing more American than farming...except Football!
Take the Farmers!!

Bogan vs Comer
Anyone else think Comer gets more love if they were Comover? Think of that stylish mascot!
BOGAN!

Noble Johnson vs Goode
Since we started CPL Pick'em, I have developed a number of "rules" that apply to my picks. The latest is not picking teams with unnecessary vowels at the end of their names.
Take the Noblest Johnson!

Hyde Park vs Harlan
@Schwab54, I know that pink dude! Totally dominated a game against Corlissssss one Thursday afternoon at Gately. I remember the pink getup, plus every time the kid made a play - and he made a ton - the game announcer at Gately loudly chastised Harlan for not getting him a roster before the game. "57 made another great play, but I can't announce his name because the Harlan Coaches can't follow directions and bring rosters to a game...." over and over and over again.
HARLAN!

Carver vs Brooks
I love smurf turf. I also love good ol' American ingenuity more. George Washington Carver is one of the greatest American scientists/inventors... Dude came up with over 300 legit products made out of the humble peanut!
AMERICA! CARVER!

Phillips B vs Payton
Wasn't Payton ranked #1 in 7A in 2019? Now they are playing a JV team? Normally, that raises all sorts of flags, in the CPL it is just another Thursday afternoon...
Give me the B WIldcats...The BWILD. no...the BCATS...no...The BATS! Yes!
BATS!

Sullivan vs Schurz
Sullivan is spunky. They always have tough kids, and they are always willing to take on teams that clearly outmatch them. I like the tenacity. Of course, for years Schurz played on a 57 yard triangle field next to their school. That makes a team tough...but they wear purple...so....
SULLY!

Bulls vs Von
The only way Von Stueben beats the Bulls is if they recruit Von Miller.
BULLS!

Mather vs Amundsen
Last year during the Chicago Teacher Strike, I might...or might not...have seen Amundsen practicing - with pads - while the rest of the district was shut down. I like that energy.
Amundsen!

Lindblom vs Kelly
Kelly is also a team that you always think will forfeit because of low numbers, yet somehow they always get after it and win games every year, plus they have a cool new field right across the street from the school. And, did I mention tacos? So many good places right around there.
Who doesn't love tacos?
Kelly!

Speer vs Rauner
This is my forfeit pick of the week. I'll take Rauner 1-0

Steinmetz vs Kennedy
When Steinmetz played their home games at Hanson, you could drive down Nagle/Naragansett and see Steinmetz players waiting for the CTA...in full uniform! The first time I saw it, I couldn't believe it. Then, I used to look forward to it. I miss those days. I also miss Steinmetz being good at football.
Missles!

Michelle vs Whitney is a classic subdivision book club battle. Michelle didn't bring the right wine and Whitney intentionally burned the little bite sized cheesecakes because of it. Scandal!
Sorry Michelle, you should have brought a cabernet.
Whitney with the perfect mini sandwiches for the win!

Taft vs Phillips
I'm a sucker for high schools named after US presidents. I picked Roosevelt for 3 weeks before I found out they didn't even have a team! Taft was not only a president, he was Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court. Only man to do it. Phillip was the second half of the famous Terrance and Phillip show on South Park...and a Canadian.
AMERICA! Take Taft

Lane Tech was shut down because of the Rona. Lincoln Park was shut down because they shared the blueprint with too many people. Now they are both back to battle for the title of the second most irrelevant team on the north side.
Take LP

If you follow the MP Twitter, you've seen they are going places. They have new uniforms. They have a new weight room. They have a new locker room. They even have an indoor practice facility where the team practices in the off season and when the weather is bad. That is straight out of the southern states' high school playbook. Anyone putting that much money into a CPL program has my attention!
MO PO!!

Last edited:
The DAWGZZZZZZZ!!!! of Senn rolled off the bus yesterday afternoon at Winnemac Stadium, then totally dominated Marine 36-0 in the final game of Spring 2021 Hot CPL Thursday Action! Winnemac is a totally underappreciated CPL stadium. Doesn't get near the run of Gateley or Stagg, but it is a great place to watch a game...especially on a Thursday afternoon. Looking forward to August!

The DAWGZZZZZZZ!!!! of Senn rolled off the bus yesterday afternoon at Winnemac Stadium, then totally dominated Marine 36-0 in the final game of Spring 2021 Hot CPL Thursday Action! Winnemac is a totally underappreciated CPL stadium. Doesn't get near the run of Gateley or Stagg, but it is a great place to watch a game...especially on a Thursday afternoon. Looking forward to August!
Was so much better when they had the huge crown on the field. Lost a little bit of its amazingness when they went to turf

@Coach Percy I hear you guys need a QB coach. I know a guy for that job. His name......I need by beers first before I help you out. When are we getting beers?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT