ADVERTISEMENT

Top IHSA teams over the last decade?

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Looks like this will be homework assignment this week for the @NBCSCPreps Wednesday live segment. So who are some of the greatest IHSA football state champions over the past decade and why?

Looks like this will be homework assignment this week for the @NBCSCPreps Wednesday live segment. So who are some of the greatest IHSA state champions over the past decade and why?
Are you looking for sustained success or best individual teams?

Or the PR team that beat Naz....or possibly the PR team the year before that beat SHG (that would be my vote). Samson was pretty good!
He was exceptional. I would have added 2017 PR but I’m not sure who was better. 2016 or 2017 PR.

He was exceptional. I would have added 2017 PR but I’m not sure who was better. 2016 or 2017 PR.
IMO 2016 was much more dynamic. Used a stable of weapons highlighted by Samson. 2017 was Samson and some more Samson.

IMO 2016 was much more dynamic. Used a stable of weapons highlighted by Samson. 2017 was Samson and some more Samson.
Yeah that’s kinda what I thought. I felt the wrath of 2017 version but only heard of 2016ms exploits.

2014 SHG, 14-0 with 13 running clock wins.
2017 Rochester, 14-0, great senior class, held off a very good Morris team in the finals.

The 2017 Flyers Defense was ridiculous - anyone remember the kid after the title game with the heavy chain draped over him? That nasty D, which was the 89 Blocks team. However, the O was not as dominant even with Jeff Thomas.

Got me thinking, this year’s O with that D ... Lawdy Lawdy! I’d take that to Texas and ask for Next after the title game.

Ha, I said it would be under 20 minutes for someone from The Posse to show and you gave it to me in 18 minutes! :D:D:D:D
I am not from the Posse!!! Blasphemy.

In fact I used to get annoyed by the Posse but I also give credit where credit is due. That team was stacked!

I am not from the Posse!!! Blasphemy.

In fact I used to get annoyed by the Posse but I also give credit where credit is due. That team was stacked!

I was busting your chops. That 2015 Naz team was solid.

I was busting your chops. That 2015 Naz team was solid.
That team was impressive too. Could score on you at will and always in good field position because nobody would kick to Love (except JCA but that didnt usually end well). The 2014 team could just beat you up and run it 50 times a game if they wanted. What I find most impressive with 2015 and now the 2019 team is replacing all 5 Offensive Lineman.

The 2017 Flyers Defense was ridiculous - anyone remember the kid after the title game with the heavy chain draped over him? That nasty D, which was the 89 Blocks team. However, the O was not as dominant even with Jeff Thomas.

Got me thinking, this year’s O with that D ... Lawdy Lawdy! I’d take that to Texas and ask for Next after the title game.

Reactions: Tez711
The 2015 team was pretty impressive but LA that year is the best team in the last 10 years, IMO.

Thanks for the LA shout out MCH. QB1 that year did not play in the second half and ended up playing less than QB2 because of the blowouts. Coach Holecek is so humble that he cleared the bench in the 2nd half so the opponents would not be embarrassed. The team had D1 and D3 players throughout as well the following years player of the year in Jake Marwede playing as a junior. The dline had Ben Leroy who was a dominant 300 pound dtackle for NIU, and just as dominant in high school. A great team that was humble, gracious and totally stand up. A pleasure to watch.

How about the 2009 Cary Grove Trojans? 14-0 Beat Providence 34-17 who was touted to have had the hardest schedule in the state that year.
I was watching that game on TV. During the pregame one of the announcers was talking about how good Providence was and was sure that they were going to be at Cary Grove. According to him, surely Providence was going to win because they had such a winning tradition and playoff experience. I just remember thinking you have no idea.

Reactions: WIU78 and CowClone
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT