ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5: Class of 2017 Top 5 RB recruits

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Ok so as promised I'm going to first release a bunch to Top 5's via position. Again these are who I feel are the Top 5 recruits via each position. Please understand that these are not necessarily the Top 5 players per position. If you have any questions or need to understand better the differences feel free to post or email me anytime edgytim@edgytim.com I will run these out into a free story in a week or so, but in the meantime DO NOT release or republish on any social media whatsoever. Violating this request will automatically terminate your access to this board. Also note I'm basing position off of the Rivals.com database profiles...and if I feel someone could/should draw looks/offers at another spot I will make mention of it in the ranking.

Thanks

Top 5 Recruits Class of 2017: Running Backs

Overall Position Grade: C-
Again it's pretty solid at the top but then you see a definite logjam of say 8-12 kids who all have similar skills set.

1. Ivory Kelly-Martin Oswego East (5-foot-11, 195 pounds)- Kelly-Martin has been on my radar screen since his freshman season at Nazareth Academy. Ivory-Martin, who transferred from Naz to Oswego East after the fall semester. Kelly-Martin to me has the best overall combination of factors your looking for in a bigger back. Kelly-Martin has good size, strength along with very good speed, vision and change of direction. Kelly-Martin has shown over the past few years his ability to catch the football out of the backfield and is no question an every down type of running back. What impressed me the most was his rehab from a serious knee injury he suffered during his sophomore year. It took Kelly-Martin a while to get back into form but he has since become a much stronger runner and that added power no question came with more physical growth and the rehab process.

My Guess on Ivory Kelly-Martin College of Choice: Iowa verbal commitment

2. Prince Walker Montini Catholic (5-foot-9 175 pounds)-
Prince Walker has been one of the most productive backs so far in his high school career. in the Class of 2017. Walker, who has already given Western Michigan his verbal commitment is yet another every down type of back with very good speed. Walker runs hard and doesn't shy away from contact whatsoever. Walker also has the ability to bounce outside and enough speed to break away from the pack. I also like Walker's overall vision and Walker is just a very fluid runner with plenty of wiggle. Anyone playing for Montini has to be able to catch the ball and Walker shows his overall ability in the passing game as well. The only real knock I've heard on Walker from coaches is his overall size/frame etc. yet no one has ever questioned his potential and ability carrying the football.

My Guess on Prince Walker College of Choice: Western Michigan verbal commitment

3. Jordan Rowell Immaculate Conception (6-foot-2 188 pounds)-
Rowell is another bigger back type and another kid who I feel has mid to upper D1 potential. Rowell, much like Kelly-Martin has similar skills and tools. Rowell is a bigger kid, has good size and very good separation speed. Rowell also is a solid threat out of the backfield in the passing game and shows good hands. Rowell also just seems to have an extra gear when needed and also has good vision, wiggle and very fluid change of direction. In all honesty I'm still wondering why more schools haven't offered Rowell yet (grades?) but in the meantime I like Rowell here quite a bit. I wouldn't be surprised to see some colleges even consider Rowell as a few different spots on the field. One negative I see for Rowell is his overall highlight tape is a bit shaky and hard to watch at times. Also my guess on Rowell's school of choice is a 100 percent complete stab in the dark.

My Guess on Jordan Rowell College of Choice: Indiana/NIU/Bowling Green

4. DaQuan Cross West Aurora (5-foot-11 185 pounds)-
Cross is yet another athlete type who could very well become say a safety at the next level. However for this rankings purpose Cross is listed as a running back in the Rivals DB so we'll roll with that here. Cross in some ways reminds me of former Blackhawk standout Drake Spears. Like Spears, Cross has been a do it all for West Aurora playing both running back and safety/linebacker. Cross to me is just a high level type of player with very solid overall skills. Cross has terrific field awareness and vision and just seems to make big play after big play. Cross again is valuable on either side of the football. As a running back? Cross has good speed, runs hard and also knows how to read is blocks. Knocks? Can tun a bit too upright at times and could use a bit more lean. Cross also has some work to do in the class room which is why I'm guessing some schools have held off for now in offering a scholarship. Yet overall? I like this kid a lot and I fully expect Cross to gain more recruiting traction this summer.

My Guess on Kamari Mosby College of Choice: MAC schools/FCS level

5. Kamari Mosby Phillips (5-foot-11 185 pounds)- No question if you want an in between the tackles grinder type of running back you have to give a look at Kamari Mosby. Mosby is a hard nosed runner who seldom drops from initial contact. Mosby has the overall strength and power to break tackles and enough speed and wiggle to break a few ankles along the way. Speed? Mosby doesn't look to have the fourth and fifth downfield gear like the higher level D1 names yet Mosby's overall speed is more than adequate. Mosby also has very good and quick feet, can change direction quickly and gets back to full speed as well in a hurry. Mosby is a strong and rugged runner who I feel you can give the football to at the next level multiple times per game.

My Guess on Kamari Mosby College of Choice: MAC schools/FCS level

One Who Just Missed:

Fayezon Smart St. Laurence (5-foot-7, 155 pounds)
The only real question on Smart is his height/size and that's the only reason I can see schools holding off on him for now. It's also one of the main reasons I didn't list him in the Top 5 running back recruit rankings. Smart might have the best running back tape in this class outside of say the top few kids. Yet even at his size Smart could wind up becoming a very dangerous situational type of back. The eyeball test will be huge for Smart this spring.

Top 5 Recruits Class of 2017: Running Backs Ranked #6 thru #10? Coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News