ADVERTISEMENT

To 5 coaches of all time in the ihsa.

wasdo

Nov 1, 2004
Korehonen,Bernie obrien,lenti,andriano. Honorable mention- ken Leonard, terry Lewis,tom padded,Gordon Gillespie

Reactions: Gene K.
Tom Carey led Mt. Carmel to city championships in 1950, 1951, and 1952.

That's the equivalent of three straight 8A championships.

Tom Carey led Mt. Carmel to city championships in 1950, 1951, and 1952.

That's the equivalent of three straight 8A championships.

Huge mistake ... the actual coach was Terry Brennan ... Tom Carey was a player back then who later coached MC to the Prep Bowl championship in 1960. Brennan went on to coach at Notre Dame (the big one).

Chris Andriano

300-128, 6 state titles, 2 runner up, 29 straight play off berths, the only coach to appear in 7 straight title games, only coach to win 3 different classes, 4a, 5a, and 6a. 12 Conference titles. Plus all around great guy and mentor to the kids. nuff said.

Bob Reade, Jack Leise, Cronin, Muthich (sp?), Paul Adams, Cavanaugh ....

Agree on Bob Reade. Coached at Geneseo 1962-1978 with an overall record of 146-21-4. Had a 52 game winning streak and won 3 straight state championships, 1976-78. Then moved on to Augustana (where I played for him), where he compiled a 146-23-1 record, with a 60 game unbeaten streak and 4 straight D3 national championships from 1983-1986. Inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1998.

I stumbled upon this from the News Gazette from 10 years ago - yes a bit dated but still interesting (I think the Gazette is a central Illinois publication). I like #8 of course
GREATEST COACHES

1. Gordon Gillespie, Joliet Catholic. Immortalized in “Rudy.”
2. Murney Lazier, Evanston. Owns highest winning percentage in IHSA history.
3. Bob Shannon, East St. Louis. Few educators have influenced kids’ lives like he has.
4. Frank Lenti, Chicago Mount Carmel. Chicagoland has no shortage of storied coaches.
5. Bob Reade, Geneseo. Won three straight state titles before moving on to Augustana College.
6. Matt Senffner, Providence. When the Celtics don’t make the state title game, it’s an upset.
7. Gary Korhonen, Oak Lawn Richards. Most victories all time, plus he’s one of the state’s great characters.
8. Tom Kavanagh, St. Laurence. Kavanagh’s teams were once the New England Patriots of Illinois prep football.
9. Dan Darlington, Morris. Fifth on the all-time wins list.
10. Paul Adams, Deerfield. Coached Warriors in four decades.

Reactions: Hillini74
Got room for John Thorne on the list ?

One thing I forgot to post is you should also put Jim Rexilius from Wheaton North in the team photo 177-77 record and 2 state titles.

In the 15 years him and Thorne coached against each other there were some classic games and it was about as heated of a rivalry you would find at the high school level just truly vicious.

In no particular order

Shannon
Lenti
Thorne
Korhrnen
Papaccioa

Honorable mention to Otto zeman, Arguably no coach has impacted how the game is currently played more.

We’ve had how many posts and Tim Racki isn’t even mentioned? Interesting...

Saddle up!
God you’re annoying, were you always like this? Your inferiority complex is unlike any I’ve seen. Yes here comes the insane Naz posse... How ridiculous of me to suggest a guy with 6 state titles and over 200 wins before the age of 50 be mentioned in this thread, us Naz fans sure are a problem.

Oh btw Racki is the only coach in Illinois history to win state titles at 2 different schools and IF he were to win this year would have won in 5 different classifications (3a-7a).

All that is just my insane Naz posse bias showing, he certainly shouldn’t be mentioned, thank you for putting me in my place.

I like Racki and he obviously is a great coach. Taking nothing away from him and his accomplishments the tread said 5 top coaches of all time in IHSA. Hence my opinion of Coach Andriano being a top 5 coach of all time as he and some of the others mentioned coached for a lot more years than Racki at this point. Perhaps, Racki will be included in the future but for now IMO its hard to put him in that category yet.

Reactions: forlouann
Agree on Bob Reade. Coached at Geneseo 1962-1978 with an overall record of 146-21-4. Had a 52 game winning streak and won 3 straight state championships, 1976-78. Then moved on to Augustana (where I played for him), where he compiled a 146-23-1 record, with a 60 game unbeaten streak and 4 straight D3 national championships from 1983-1986. Inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1998.

In addition if you look at Bob Reade's coaching tree? Between Geneseo and Augie, its pretty impressive. Bryan Storz, Greg King formally from Sterling, Larry Johnson etc......
Also, think of this, He built the program at Geneseo, which had its first losing season in 58(?) years this season.

All this at a public HS.

Chris Andriano

300-128, 6 state titles, 2 runner up, 29 straight play off berths, the only coach to appear in 7 straight title games, only coach to win 3 different classes, 4a, 5a, and 6a. 12 Conference titles. Plus all around great guy and mentor to the kids. nuff said.
Just want to correct you that Racki won in 4 different classes, 3a, 4a, 5a, 6a

God you’re annoying, were you always like this? Your inferiority complex is unlike any I’ve seen. Yes here comes the insane Naz posse... How ridiculous of me to suggest a guy with 6 state titles and over 200 wins before the age of 50 be mentioned in this thread, us Naz fans sure are a problem.

Oh btw Racki is the only coach in Illinois history to win state titles at 2 different schools and IF he were to win this year would have won in 5 different classifications (3a-7a).

All that is just my insane Naz posse bias showing, he certainly shouldn’t be mentioned, thank you for putting me in my place.
FWIW - He was quiet last year when MCHS wasn't any good.

He wasn't quiet last year and neither was I. Montini was not as good last year as they usually are was an anomoly IMO. Now that the ESCC and CCL are combined hopefully we can look forward to regular Montini Naz rivalry games in which we can spew our venom against each others team.

With respects to Coach A and Racki. Over their career average 11.25 and 12.1 games a season. That's incredible to average a 2nd round and quarters each and every year.

Come on man, I'm going to voice my opinion good or bad. You should know this by now. I'm loud now and I know Naz would woodshed us 10/10 times this year.

Bounce Otto?

IMO, he isn't even in the top 25, let alone the top 10 . Other may disagree, and that's what is great about sports . But in his 30 years as a head coach, he posted 10 losing seasons and only 1 semifinal appearance .

I assume to be one of the greatest of all time, one has to put up great numbers to support this.

Once again, just my opinion .

I think when it comes to Otto, you have to look past results, and take into consideration that he pretty much put the program on the map and out of obscurity. There are so many great coaches to consider. Just my opinion though. There have been many mentioned that are certainly worthy of mention.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT